USA WINS: Watching FIFA 68th Congress Live....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: USA WINS: Watching FIFA 68th Congress Live....

Post by Enugu II »

Synopsis wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Cito wrote:
Synopsis wrote:A 48 team world cup will be terrible.
For the DNQers maybe but to the countries in it , nah!

On a serious note, it is just the same with about 8 plus crappy games added to the current number.

Cito,

There will not be crappy games. Think about this -- if we had 48 team WC this year you may have the following participating:

Italy
Ghana
Chile
USA
Holland
I/Coast
Paraguay
Wales
Austria
N/Ireland
Ukraine
Congo DR
Greece
Cameroon
Jamaica
Burkina Faso

*Note, I have not used actual berths designed for qualification from Confederations. This is just to note countries capable of playing now in the World Cup and there are more.
This is not true.
Ghana wouldn’t have made it - Uganda finished ahead of them in qualifying. Cameroon wouldn’t have been in too.
Syria, United Arab Emirates, New Zealand, and possibly Solomon Islands would have made it over some of the teams you listed.
Synopsis,

I was not using qualifying results, BTW. But lets say we are using those results, it then means those countries would have been deserving over familiar teams which gives a lie to the idea that the WC would be watered down with 48 teams. Remember, Iceland was recently classified along with some of those countries but they earned their way through over some tradition teams. Thus, if the likes of Uganda and Solomon Islands do the same why should that not be respected?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:How each country voted on Fifa.com website.
Chief Enugu II, can you please post the link of how the countries voted? Using my handset, I am not able to get the information. I - mainly - want to see how African nations voted. To be honest, I hope the East, Central and West African nations voted against Morocco
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FIFA members vote on 2026 World Cup host – live USA wins

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mexico, Canada and US win joint bid to host 2026 World Cup a day before Russia 2018 kicks off - See more at: https://goo.gl/66eMpV
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Mexico, Canada and US win joint bid to host 2026 World Cup a day before Russia 2018 kicks off - See more at: https://goo.gl/66eMpV

Trying to understand here.... Achuzia creates this thread. He posts a link to Bleacher Report which sums up the World Cup voting news. I have to imagine you saw that...yet you posted a link to your site/blog right under the link he posted to BReport. Why? Is there information on there that's different from what BReport wrote? News that BReport forgot to write about regarding the vote? :???:

--------------------------------------------
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Synopsis wrote:
Cito wrote:

On a serious note, it is just the same with about 8 plus crappy games added to the current number.
16 groups of 3 is a recipe for collusion.
It will be a challenge to have fair last group stage matches
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Morocco messed up with their presentation.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

But see wayo - 60 of the 80 games will be played in the U.S.. Canada and Mexico get 10 each.

At EII - can't help but feel that a 48 team WC with 80 games will dilute the WC brand/create less excitement. However, I think having the WC in the US/Canada/Mexico might help mitigate that for the fans..
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

It's an American World Cup. Dallas will definitely get some games.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, Dallas, Los Angeles and their new stadium...maybe Las Vegas..New York will host the final. Azteca stadium will host a semi final.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Enugu II wrote:
Cito wrote:

Cito,

There will not be crappy games. Think about this -- if we had 48 team WC this year you may have the following participating:

Italy
Ghana
Chile
USA
Holland
I/Coast
Paraguay
Wales
Austria
N/Ireland
Ukraine
Congo DR
Greece
Cameroon
Jamaica
Burkina Faso

*Note, I have not used actual berths designed for qualification from Confederations. This is just to note countries capable of playing now in the World Cup and there are more.
Capability doesn't mean "Uncrappy" games.

What actual fan of Greece, Jamaica, N.Ireland, Holland or Italy seriously think their team "deserved" to be at the World Cup? From their national team manager to the play of their team during qualifying, I think the fans of those teams wouldn't expect decent play from their teams. Now maybe if the managers of those teams were sacked after qualifying (not very likely) then they'd expect that.

--------------------------------------------
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, Dallas, Los Angeles and their new stadium...maybe Las Vegas..New York will host the final. Azteca stadium will host a semi final.
No Azteca for SF. I believe the agreement is that U.S will host all games from Q/F onwards..
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-c ... sting-vote

Can see some of the potential hosting cities on the below link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%E2 ... ial_venues

analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

F360 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Cito wrote:

Cito,

Italy
Ghana
Chile
USA
Holland
I/Coast
Paraguay
Wales
Austria
N/Ireland
Ukraine
Congo DR
Greece
Cameroon
Jamaica
Burkina Faso

What actual fan of Greece, Jamaica, N.Ireland, Holland or Italy seriously think their team "deserved" to be at the World Cup? From their national team manager to the play of their team during qualifying, I think the fans of those teams wouldn't expect decent play from their teams. Now maybe if the managers of those teams were sacked after qualifying (not very likely) then they'd expect that.
I think EII has not factored in how crappy most of those teams he listed currently are at present time.

Most of those teams listed by EII are currently crap hence why they could not make it to Russia. If Russia WC had 48 teams, most of those teams listed will be there "undeservedly" .. USA could not beat T&T to qualify. Italy lost out to Sweeden. Holland did not even finish 2nd in their group (I stand corrected). Greece, Ukraine, Austria, Wales, NI, Congo DR - average teams at best. Jamaica? that is having a laugh.

Anything can happen by 2026 but I strongly doubt you will even have > 25 of the 48 teams as credible competitions.

osita
Egg
Egg
Re: USA WINS BID 2026: Watching FIFA 68th Congress Live....

Post by osita »

Enugu II wrote:USA/Canada/Mexico just won the BID!!!! Congratulations

UNITED BID = 134 votes
MOROCCO BID = 65 votes
NONE BID = 1
INELIGIBLE = 7
Shame and African countries voted for the US.
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: USA WINS BID 2026: Watching FIFA 68th Congress Live....

Post by analyzer »

osita wrote:
Enugu II wrote:USA/Canada/Mexico just won the BID!!!! Congratulations

UNITED BID = 134 votes
MOROCCO BID = 65 votes
NONE BID = 1
INELIGIBLE = 7
Shame and African countries voted for the US.
Sentiments aside, I think a 48 team world cup with 80 games would have been too much for Morocco. I don't think they have or would have the infrastructures to meet the demands of such a large world cup. They also missed their opportunity when it decided to pull out of hosting ANC. That would have been a good platform to showcase its hosting capabilities.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Benedict Iroha wrote:It's an American World Cup. Dallas will definitely get some games.
i was in Dallas last weekend, yall have the worst drivers in the entire US
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:[/video]
This needs to be merged with Enugu's thread...
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

At least Dotard will be out by then.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

F360 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Mexico, Canada and US win joint bid to host 2026 World Cup a day before Russia 2018 kicks off - See more at: https://goo.gl/66eMpV
Trying to understand here.... Achuzia creates this thread. He posts a link to Bleacher Report which sums up the World Cup voting news. I have to imagine you saw that...yet you posted a link to your site/blog right under the link he posted to BReport. Why? Is there information on there that's different from what BReport wrote? News that BReport forgot to write about regarding the vote? :???:
Frankly speaking, I am still wondering why Ayo is allowed to continue advertising his Site/blog here - especially - for FREE. I wonder why MODS has continued to allow this to happen
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

airwolex wrote:At least Dotard will be out by then.
He don dey pain you! :lol:

Dotard wins yet again! :lol:

Empty suit could not get a vote the last time. :lol:

Dotard told them to put or get out and they awarded him with a win. :lol:

Victory for Dotard...yet again :lol:

Times are hard in the Liberal land! :lol:
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

ohenhen1 wrote:Morocco messed up with their presentation.
Morocco's presentation was not the problem.
They were contesting against three nations bidding from a powerful football federation - CONCACAF.
Case closed!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Analyzer,

I actually do not think they are crappy. Congo DR and USA are not crappy, for instance.

BTW, we heard the watering down when the WC moved from 16 to 24, we heard it when it moved from 24 to 32, we are hearing it again. Guess what, each time it was even better. Let me tell you something, Analyzer, football is far more balanced than when the WC was 16 and we had the likes of Zaire and Haiti. The World Cup is 32, do you think we still have the depth of difference we saw in 1974 with 16 teams? What you forget is that the game has improved and the gap between the nations have narrowed a lot. Factor that in when you think of 48 teams.

analyzer wrote:
F360 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Cito wrote:

Cito,

Italy
Ghana
Chile
USA
Holland
I/Coast
Paraguay
Wales
Austria
N/Ireland
Ukraine
Congo DR
Greece
Cameroon
Jamaica
Burkina Faso

I think EII has not factored in how crappy most of those teams he listed currently are at present time.

Most of those teams listed by EII are currently crap hence why they could not make it to Russia. If Russia WC had 48 teams, most of those teams listed will be there "undeservedly" .. USA could not beat T&T to qualify. Italy lost out to Sweeden. Holland did not even finish 2nd in their group (I stand corrected). Greece, Ukraine, Austria, Wales, NI, Congo DR - average teams at best. Jamaica? that is having a laugh.

Anything can happen by 2026 but I strongly doubt you will even have > 25 of the 48 teams as credible competitions.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote:
Enugu II wrote:How each country voted on Fifa.com website.
Chief Enugu II, can you please post the link of how the countries voted? Using my handset, I am not able to get the information. I - mainly - want to see how African nations voted. To be honest, I hope the East, Central and West African nations voted against Morocco

I am yet to locate the link announced for FIFA.com but a summary story is below ant this link https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... tml?recp=3 points to how each country actually voted. ZIMBABWE voted for United Bid in a big surprise.
How geopolitics influenced the 2026 World Cup vote
Martin Rogers, USA TODAY Published 9:43 a.m. ET June 13, 2018 | Updated 9:59 a.m. ET June 13, 2018
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... topstories

MOSCOW — FIFA’s new electronic voting system meant that the decision to award the United States, Mexico and Canada the right to host the 2026 World Cup was swift and speedy.

Within seconds the result was conveyed and, given that present-day FIFA is keen to show how transparent it is, the decisions of each member nation was made public minutes later.

While the United Bid easily carried the day, seeing off Morocco 134-65 with one vote for neither bid, the minutiae of which countries voted for whom provided a fascinating look at how geopolitics can infiltrate soccer – or not.

Here are some of the highlights:

– Iran: The only country that took the “none of the bids” option, presumably on the basis that it does not have diplomatic ties with either the U.S. or Morocco and wouldn’t been keen to see either host.

– North Korea: Rather disappointingly for those seeking a mischievous storyline in the wake of Trump and Kim Jong-Un's meeting, voted for Morocco. Did Trump forget to ask for that in negotiations at the Singapore summit?

– Cuba: Abstained from voting altogether

– Iraq, Afghanistan: Backed the United Bid.

– Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain: The United States' major Persian Gulf allies voted for the United bid.

– Qatar: The 2022 World Cup host (beating out the United States in 2010) and current diplomatic adversary of its Gulf neighbors, voted for Morocco.

– Russia: Backed the United Bid. Who knows if Vladimir Putin gave the order, but few countries have closer ties between government and soccer federation than Russia.

– China and Chinese Taipei: Both went for Morocco.

– France: One of a handful of European countries to pick Morocco, though that likely had more to do with close historic ties than Emmanuel Macron’s frustration with Trump. The Netherlands, Italy and Belgium also voted for Morocco.

– Seven African nations: Turned the vote into a total blowout by siding with the USA, Canada and Mexico. Any viable path to a Morocco win needed to be centered around sweeping the African bloc.

– Venezuela: Regional voting is common and CONMEBOL, the South American federation, was mostly behind the United campaign. Thus, Venezuela, one of the countries on Trump's travel ban list, voted for the American-backed campaign.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.