Nike design director describes Naija kit design process

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Obong
Egg
Egg
Re: Nike design director describes Naija kit design process

Post by Obong »

Odas wrote:
Dammy wrote:I'm not sold on the kit. I prefer the away kit.
Personally, I don't like the kit, but I am beginning to change my mind, little by little :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Odas, the bus left you behind. The World caught on, and there's no stopping the kit or the team. No worries.We'll still keep a shirt for you. Afterall, you've correctly forecast our victory over Croatia.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

I'm guessing their reason for the poor supply of the kit is pretty similar. Nigerians won't complain about an adventurous design and Nigerians won't complain when Nike only makes just a handful of jerseys...
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

niyi wrote:I'm guessing their reason for the poor supply of the kit is pretty similar. Nigerians won't complain about an adventurous design and Nigerians won't complain when Nike only makes just a handful of jerseys...
You guys and your dumb criticisms. Do you think maybe there was more demand than supply?
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Obong wrote:
Odas wrote:
Dammy wrote:I'm not sold on the kit. I prefer the away kit.
Personally, I don't like the kit, but I am beginning to change my mind, little by little :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Odas, the bus left you behind. The World caught on, and there's no stopping the kit or the team. No worries.We'll still keep a shirt for you. Afterall, you've correctly forecast our victory over Croatia.
Bros, e be like so-ooo! But no worri, I go poshoe (pursue) the bus right now and I go catch-am. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Craotia, dem go see Pepper
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Muzines,

It isn't long...it is worth reading.

muzines wrote:Even though this is long, I thought it was interesting to see the insight behind this kit and collection, and actually how much Nike have invested in this. It seems they also worked closely with the NFF and Pinnick. Very interesting that they actually loved the kit so much they developed the whole collection to push it.

Based on this and their level of excitement internally at Nike, you can understand how the 3 million pre-orders happened. I believe they told their outlets that they had something out of the box coming, and when it was launched - the level of excitement was off the charts.

If Nigeria can capitalize on this, I believe Nike will look at us as an emerging market and a good platform to introduce radical designs. This can translate into millions for the NFF and our players.

Really cool.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

muzines wrote:
niyi wrote:I'm guessing their reason for the poor supply of the kit is pretty similar. Nigerians won't complain about an adventurous design and Nigerians won't complain when Nike only makes just a handful of jerseys...
You guys and your dumb criticisms. Do you think maybe there was more demand than supply?
First of all, I'm thoroughly disappointed to see you still haven't changed. Every message you type comes with an insult.

Secondly, do you really think I don't understand supply-demand mismatch? I am saying that this is the biggest sportswear manufacturer in the world and they should be able to predict how much to produce to match demand and supply and even if their projection is off, it shouldn't be this off. What's worse is that they aren't restocking anytime soon - according to platinum who seems to be in the know, they won't be restocking till August! I am saying that they didn't pay enough attention to predicting demand hence the poor supply.
Last edited by niyi on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

muzines wrote:
Coach wrote:Ok, the kit is bold, daring, different. Enough already, eve of the tournament proper, couldn't care less if they decked out in loin cloths, with lion head togas...Its the meat of the matter that matters. Are the lads ready to dig deep, go the extra yard, put in the tackles, take the yellow cards when needed? If theres a melee, are they all ready to go steaming in? There has to be an alertness, the refs will be firm but usually fair within the first few exchanges...Nigeria must be quick off the mark, get the let them know they're in a game challenges during the permissible period. Bag the early rounds, points in the bank, from the 4th round onwards, it'll be hard to get a by for such.
There’s a million threads on CE. You should gladly comment on all the others if this is not your cup of tea.
When Perisic goes in early and the ref does no more than tick him off, lets see how much the swaggerific kit matters. It seems, in the eyes of the world, the only thing Nigeria are bringing to the table is a shirt more dazzling than Razor Ramons. T'is all about Nike's amazing adventure with a ball of yarn, precious little talk about anything else. Yes, we're the best dressed, but if the dress is pulled up over heads and the yansh opened, what good was it?

Anyway...When Saturday comes, those tops better be coated in mud, grass stains up the shorts, spots of claret, 3 points and a few bodies in the boot.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Bell wrote:JUST WONDERING...

...would Nike come up with something new for CAN?
(You don't have to read between the lines to see that the gentleman is saying you can mess with Nigeria, but not England or Brazil)
Bell
We wear something different at each tournament.

I think he was saying he was given a free rein with Nigeria. The other 2 countries monitor from concept to design to implementation. Nigeria had a hands off approach.
http://www.naijiant.com/
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

cic old boy wrote:

(You don't have to read between the lines to see that the gentleman is saying you can mess with Nigeria, but not England or Brazil)
Bell

I think he was saying he was given a free rein with Nigeria. The other 2 countries monitor from concept to design to implementation. Nigeria had a hands off approach.
No we didn’t. Can you read the article again.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

muzines wrote:
I did and although it said they worked closely with Nigeria, it also said:
Some countries will have very specific briefs of what they want, others won’t. We’ll always do our own research ourselves, within those countries, to capture the mood and feeling of that country and what they want to stand up for. Each country is completely different, what suits their style. Brazil, it’s always clean and purist, always vibrant but it also has this kind of toughness to it. Then you look at someone like France, and it’s always about sophistication and style. WIthin that, there are still some shared Nike filter that brings the entire collection together.

The big hit seems to be the Nigeria kit this time around. What made you decide to push the design on their home kit into such a unique direction?

With the Nigeria kit and collection, what we wanted to do is take a team who there is less expectations on from the media and fans in terms of both on the field performance and kit design. There is less pressure to not mess with the kit than, say, England.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

cic old boy wrote:

Bell

I think Nigeria had a "we are open to new ideas" approach
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

cic old boy wrote:
muzines wrote:
I did and although it said they worked closely with Nigeria, it also said:
Some countries will have very specific briefs of what they want, others won’t. We’ll always do our own research ourselves, within those countries, to capture the mood and feeling of that country and what they want to stand up for. Each country is completely different, what suits their style. Brazil, it’s always clean and purist, always vibrant but it also has this kind of toughness to it. Then you look at someone like France, and it’s always about sophistication and style. WIthin that, there are still some shared Nike filter that brings the entire collection together.

The big hit seems to be the Nigeria kit this time around. What made you decide to push the design on their home kit into such a unique direction?

With the Nigeria kit and collection, what we wanted to do is take a team who there is less expectations on from the media and fans in terms of both on the field performance and kit design. There is less pressure to not mess with the kit than, say, England.
That does not mean they had a hands off approach. Did also read where they had to do the presentation to convince the NFF?
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

muzines wrote:
That does not mean they had a hands off approach. Did also read where they had to do the presentation to convince the NFF?
But it was their design and they seem to have been left to do what they liked with it - unlike England or Brazil. There was consultation with Nigeria and approvals, but we were not the type to "have very specific briefs of what they want". Pretty "hands off" to me.