Award of World cup not even in US sport media news

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Oguleftie
Egg
Egg
Award of World cup not even in US sport media news

Post by Oguleftie »

Of the many national US sports media TV outlets only BEIN sports talked about the 2026 award.
And if you are looking at other conventional national news outlets you could as well forget about it.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: Award of World cup not even in US sport media news

Post by kalani JR »

NYT just had a bts on the process.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

kalani JR wrote:NYT just had a bts on the process.
Yep!
And at least today being the day FIFA broke the news you would expect it covered all over.
Shows you the general lip service on soccer.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Oguleftie wrote: Of the many national US sports media TV outlets only BEIN sports talked about the 2026 award.
And if you are looking at other conventional national news outlets you could as well forget about it.
That is NOT true. Before I left this morning, FOX, NBC, CBS and ABC all were reporting or reported it. Those were the channels I briefly checked as I was leaving
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Oguleftie wrote:
kalani JR wrote:NYT just had a bts on the process.
Yep!
And at least today being the day FIFA broke the news you would expect it covered all over.
Shows you the general lip service on soccer.
There has been more stuff, even Trump tweeted about it.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Oguleftie wrote:Of the many national US sports media TV outlets only BEIN sports talked about the 2026 award.

Dude are you serious? Looks like you just checked in ya local newspaper :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

:lol: blatant lies
The news was breaking interrupted FS1's "First Things First" and ESPN's morning show. There's threads on US based hip hop forums, fashion, sneaker forums I follow too.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...nope, every news outlet, national, local, cable and broadcast news all said something. Though that ends today, news come and go in America, and soccer is not something hung around too long.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

You cant make this ish up....

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Cito wrote:You cant make this ish up....

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Meanwhile I’m watching sports center the day before the World Cup and they are talking about Kyrie Irving’s contract
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

nanijoe wrote:Meanwhile I’m watching sports center the day before the World Cup and they are talking about Kyrie Irving’s contract
Them not having the rights and USA not being there has something to do with it.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

kalani JR wrote:
nanijoe wrote:Meanwhile I’m watching sports center the day before the World Cup and they are talking about Kyrie Irving’s contract
Abeg help me tell am ohhh plus what’s the big deal about something eight years away
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Probably true...coverage last WC was awesome

kalani JR wrote:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

anikulapo wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Abeg help me tell am ohhh plus what’s the big deal about something eight years away
NJ is talking about this year's cup i think.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Okay, here is a question for the experts to answer for me. Please see below:

With three nations (CANADA, MEXICO and USA) as hosts for the 2026 FIFA World cup, which among the three nations will "automatically" qualify for the tournament, or will all three qualify? Just wondering
Last edited by Odas on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Odas wrote:Okay, here is a question for the experts to answer for me. Please see below:

With three nations (CANADA, MEXICO and USA) as host nations, which among the three will automatically qualify for the tournament, or will all three nations qualify? Just wondering
Great question.

When Japan and South Korea co-hosted both of them automatically made it in.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Odas wrote:Okay, here is a question for the experts to answer for me. Please see below:

With three nations (CANADA, MEXICO and USA) as host nations, which among the three will automatically qualify for the tournament, or will all three nations qualify? Just wondering
All three plus three more CONCACAF nations.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

goke313 wrote::lol: blatant lies
The news was breaking interrupted FS1's "First Things First" and ESPN's morning show. There's threads on US based hip hop forums, fashion, sneaker forums I follow too.
I was about to say. I heard it on ESPN and it interrupted ESPN regularly scheduled program (Mike Greenberg's show with Jalen Rose, etc). Several local stations are covering it as well as the opening of the World Cup even when they have no media rights to the event. I am invited on one of the local TV shows for the opening day tomorrow. Thus, I am not sure that one can truly state that the event had been ignored.
Last edited by Enugu II on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

kalani JR wrote:

Really? Wow!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

Really? Wow!
Actually, Infantino stated all three will make it (taking from normal CONCACAF berths) and there is precedence from 2002 with S/Korea and Japan. However, FIFA later pulled this back stating that the official decision will be taken at a later FIFA meeting. In any case, it isn't a big deal noting that USA and Mexico are perennial qualifiers (except USA did not make it this year in an aberrant year for them).
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

It is actually not bad at all.

Mexico and USA ordinarily qualify. Then you have four more countries (including Canada).

The others possibly being Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica?

but remember this is a 48 team World Cup!

Africa's allocation rises from 16% to 19% approximately

Concacaf rises from 11% to 13% approximately.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:
Odas wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

Really? Wow!
Actually, Infantino stated all three will make it (taking from normal CONCACAF berths) and there is precedence from 2002 with S/Korea and Japan. However, FIFA later pulled this back stating that the official decision will be taken at a later FIFA meeting. In any case, it isn't a big deal noting that USA and Mexico are perennial qualifiers (except USA did not make it this year in an aberrant year for them).
Thanks to everyone who answered my question and with promptness. Special thanks to - Chief Enugu II - for the expanded or detailed answer to the question