With Saudi Arabia, why 48 teams in the World Cup?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Goldleaf
Egg
Egg
With Saudi Arabia, why 48 teams in the World Cup?

Post by Goldleaf »

The utterly shambolic performance of Saudi Arabia in today's match is a very bad sign of things to come when FIFA goes to a 48-team format World Cup. Useless nations like Ghana, Kenya, Andorra, San Marino may be assured of outings in the World Cup when 16 new places are added to the current 32, which already feature weak qualifiers.

If a poor Russia can put 5 unreplied goals past a pitiful Saudi Arabia, then the likes of Kenya will get 14 or 16 from Germany!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: With Saudi Arabia, why 48 teams in the World Cup?

Post by The YeyeMan »

Ask Enugu II.

He supports this nonsense.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

How else will the lesser nations grow if not through eating at the table of Kings? Breadcrumbs are a banquet to the starving, talk less of leftovers.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

There’s also going to be a higher chance of having upsets and underdog stories.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

you people are funny, the worldcup started with 4 8, 16, 24, 32 and now 48... I support the 48 teams.. nothing wrong with it, when teams will only play 2 group matches. Right now your argument makes no sense. We currently have 32 teams and we just witnessed Saudi chopping 5 goals.. Saudi choped 8..When we had 24 teams in USA 94, Cameroon chopped 6 from this same Russia, no to talk of Zaire in 82..

All these useless toreys of more teams would reduce the compettion is pure rubbish.. 4 years is a very long time in football
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Truth be told, if one wants a true contest from the get go, then there would be fair argument against the inclusion of any African side. How many have bothered to partake in even 15 minutes of a World Cup quarter final? Rather than waste time bojangling only to be battered in the round of 16, why not have a contest of the top ten teams, a mini league perhaps, or two leagues of five, progressing to a semi and final thereafter.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Bigpokey24 wrote:you people are funny, the worldcup started with 4 8, 16, 24, 32 and now 48... I support the 48 teams.. nothing wrong with it, when teams will only play 2 group matches. Right now your argument makes no sense. We currently have 32 teams and we just witnessed Saudi chopping 5 goals.. Saudi choped 8..When we had 24 teams in USA 94, Cameroon chopped 6 from this same Russia, no to talk of Zaire in 82..

All these useless toreys of more teams would reduce the compettion is pure rubbish.. 4 years is a very long time in football
Saudi chopped 8 in 2002.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

48 teams will be so uneven. Imagine going to the world cup just to play 2 games. The second game won’t be played simultaneously so there will be cheating and a lot of dead rubber matches.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Goldleaf wrote:The utterly shambolic performance of Saudi Arabia in today's match is a very bad sign of things to come when FIFA goes to a 48-team format World Cup. Useless nations like Ghana, Kenya, Andorra, San Marino may be assured of outings in the World Cup when 16 new places are added to the current 32, which already feature weak qualifiers.

If a poor Russia can put 5 unreplied goals past a pitiful Saudi Arabia, then the likes of Kenya will get 14 or 16 from Germany!
Funny that the result of today's game is a referendum on a 48-team World Cup. Let me remind you that the Saudis beat Japan 1-0 to get here and recently fell 1-2 to Germany in a friendly. IMHO, the Saudis are not going to be mistaken for a favorite to win the World Cup but better believe that the 5-0 today was just an aberration as Brazil's 1-7 loss to Germany was in 2014. I would suggest you hold your horses until the end of the World Cup to make a conclusive statement on what possibly a 48-team World Cup will look like. But funny enough, we did see a 9-0 and 7-0 result in a 16-team World Cup.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Coach wrote:Truth be told, if one wants a true contest from the get go, then there would be fair argument against the inclusion of any African side. How many have bothered to partake in even 15 minutes of a World Cup quarter final? Rather than waste time bojangling only to be battered in the round of 16, why not have a contest of the top ten teams, a mini league perhaps, or two leagues of five, progressing to a semi and final thereafter.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Some people like money too much. Sold out their fellow Africans for money and are about to destroy the world cup by watering it down with 16 more countries.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Synopsis wrote:48 teams will be so uneven. Imagine going to the world cup just to play 2 games. The second game won’t be played simultaneously so there will be cheating and a lot of dead rubber matches.
I think they should start playing some of the worldcup games like qualifiers, even the up coming Euros would be played allover Europa
SuperEagles

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

ohenhen1 wrote:Some people like money too much. Sold out their fellow Africans for money and are about to destroy the world cup by watering it down with 16 more countries.
The cordial has been watered down to 32 with the likes of Nigeria, Senegal, Egypt, Tunisa and Morocco, turning a glass of Ribena into Volvic touch of fruit.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Enugu II wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:The utterly shambolic performance of Saudi Arabia in today's match is a very bad sign of things to come when FIFA goes to a 48-team format World Cup. Useless nations like Ghana, Kenya, Andorra, San Marino may be assured of outings in the World Cup when 16 new places are added to the current 32, which already feature weak qualifiers.

Funny that the result of today's game is a referendum on a 48-team World Cup. Let me remind you that the Saudis beat Japan 1-0 to get here and recently fell 1-2 to Germany in a friendly. IMHO, the Saudis are not going to be mistaken for a favorite to win the World Cup but better believe that the 5-0 today was just an aberration as Brazil's 1-7 loss to Germany was in 2014. I would suggest you hold your horses until the end of the World Cup to make a conclusive statement on what possibly a 48-team World Cup will look like. But funny enough, we did see a 9-0 and 7-0 result in a 16-team World Cup.
can you imagine, even Brazil lost 1-7 at home :lol: :lol: but no they come here to cry about 48 teams, .. smh.. shows how people lack a tangible prism to think outside the box. They are just repeating the rubbish comments from clueless analyst on TV. Football isn't meant for only the big , big nations, let the small teams get a piece of the pie.. Even our own SE can boast of only one world cup win ( which was just by one goal ) since 1998, we didn't win a single worldcup match for over 16 years
SuperEagles

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:

There was a 10-1 in a 24-team World Cup.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

I predict that this same Saudi will win a game in this world cup.

Maybe na dem King and Putin wey dey stadium make dem fear.

Cmoke :D :D :D :D
Enugu II wrote:

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Synopsis wrote:48 teams will be so uneven. Imagine going to the world cup just to play 2 games. The second game won’t be played simultaneously so there will be cheating and a lot of dead rubber matches.
12 groups of 4 should be better.
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

I bet people said the same thing when Ilunga Mwepu and his band of jokers were spelled 9-1 by Yugoslavia in 1974. People asked what African teams are doing at the WC
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

folem wrote:
12 groups of 4 should be better.
I agree, but the 48 would be cut down to 24 after the group stage which would be uneven. FIFA could reduce the number to 16, but that would give an unfair advantage to 2nd place teams with very weak groups.
Last edited by Synopsis on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

There was a 10-1 in a 24-team World Cup.
folem,

Thank you for the info. These things happen. For me logical conclusions are reached by discovering a PATTERN rather than jump to conclusion from a possible ABERRATION. Thus, lets wait till the World Cup is over.
Last edited by Enugu II on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

sayala wrote:I bet people said the same thing when Ilunga Mwepu and his band of jokers were spelled 9-1 by Yugoslavia in 1974. People asked what African teams are doing at the WC
44 years later, what have they done, fancy dances and swaggerific strips aside?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Coach wrote:
sayala wrote:I bet people said the same thing when Ilunga Mwepu and his band of jokers were spelled 9-1 by Yugoslavia in 1974. People asked what African teams are doing at the WC
44 years later, what have they done, fancy dances and swaggerific strips aside?
WE may just keep them out because they water down the World Cup. We should just keep the World Cup among Germany, Brazil, France, Argentina, Spain, and who ever else has shown the ability to win it. Ain't it a good suggestion for a helluva World Cup? :rotf:
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

You all are talking about the teams that will play... what you should be talking about is the format of the 48 team world cup. FIFA has said 16 groups of 3. No more draws in the group stage (draws after 90 mins will go straight to penalties). So if the winner of a group has to play New Zealand while the 2nd place team plays Brazil you would have teams purposely trying to lose. Imagine if the game goes into penalties - you’d have teams missing penalties on purpose.

I’d rather have 64 teams than 48.