Saudi Arabia has outlined the importance of Ighalo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

See what happens when the ball does not stick upfront? It just keeps coming back and you end up being under relentless pressure. Had Saudi Arabia had an Odion Ighalo playing for them today they would not have lost by as heavy a margin as they would have retained possession a bit more.

At the World Cup, the targetman is probably the most important member of the team. At this level, retaining possession is paramount!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg
Re: Saudi Arabia has outlined the importance of Ighalo

Post by Synopsis »

How many did we score vs Czech?

You know we scored 3 goals vs Algeria with Kelechi as striker?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Could this not be said in the game thread?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach wrote:Could this not be said in the game thread?
No! It is an important point that needs to be spelt out separately. CE forumers need educating as the know-how on here is simply not good enough.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Coach wrote:Could this not be said in the game thread?
Actually, I think it deserves its own thread as it focuses on Nigeria learning from the Saudi game. My tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Synopsis wrote:How many did we score vs Czech?

FRIENDLY RESULT GERMANY 2 SAUDI ARABIA 1

TOURNAMENT RESULT RUSSIA 5 SAUDI ARABIA 0

IS RUSSIA BETTER THAN Germany?

SELECTIVE AMNESIA ON THE CAMEROON GAME.
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Are Saudi Arabia a good reference point for any such argument? And how much did the ball stick up top when Ighalo played vs England?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dzubya was particularly impressive at holding the balk up. See the way he created the fourth goal. Now, only Odion Ighalo can provide that for Nigeria.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Synopsis wrote:How many did we score vs Czech?

FRIENDLY RESULT GERMANY 2 SAUDI ARABIA 1

TOURNAMENT RESULT RUSSIA 5 SAUDI ARABIA 0

IS RUSSIA BETTER THAN Germany?
The truth is we won only two qualifying matches with Ighalo as striker. We scored more than a single goal in just one of the matches.

All this good hold up play with nothing to show for it.
Last edited by Synopsis on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach wrote:Are Saudi Arabia a good reference point for any such argument? And how much did the ball stick up top when Ighalo played vs England?
Has it occurred to you that we could have lost by four against England without Ighalo? He also created our only goal of the match!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Yeah, Russia scored 5. Saudi Arabia just outlined the importance of having an Ighalo - you don't score, you get punished
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

I'm disappointed. I was waiting for the punchline that Joel Obi would have prevented all the goals via the left back...
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Ekorian wrote:I'm disappointed. I was waiting for the punchline that Joel Obi would have prevented all the goals via the left back...
That's for another thread, followed by how Kelechi would have opened up the Ruskys like a two bob ashawo :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Really Ayo? So that's it? How many touches does the CF get? :sneaky:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
2drama
Eaglet
Eaglet
Location: To my Late Grand-Papa Pa onyemere(he left us oct-26-07) -i miss you -R-I-P

Post by 2drama »

Ighalo is not a consistent striker.
This thread has no relevance
http://www.2dramasports.com is live ,Get SE downloads links or watch online links
Get Your Super Eagles Games on DvD Pm 2drama don't live history have a part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_national_football_team
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

I fear for any team in Green with many Naija born players
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

No serious team will have ighalo as a top striker and expect to perform exceptionally at the World Cup. Strikers main responsibility are to score goals or assists and in addition to it, ont be lazy(yakubu) ighalo has shown and proven that his incapable of what i aforementioned. He is good at hustling, holding the ball and to certain extent Dribble but that’s not good enough. We need a reliable striker upfront and the better rohr demote ighalo to the bench, the better for SE. ighalo is a squad player at best while kelechi is a potential WORLD CLASS striker.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Holding the ball is useless for a striker if they cannot SCORE. We should stop mentioning some moral victory piece of crap like holding the ball
2drama
Eaglet
Eaglet
Location: To my Late Grand-Papa Pa onyemere(he left us oct-26-07) -i miss you -R-I-P

Post by 2drama »

Rawlings wrote:I fear for any team in Green with many Naija born players

:blink: return yourself back to Ghanaweb
http://www.2dramasports.com is live ,Get SE downloads links or watch online links
Get Your Super Eagles Games on DvD Pm 2drama don't live history have a part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_national_football_team
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Some of the naïveté I read here blows my head away. How do you score when you do not have possession of the ball?

I sometimes want to punch my walls when I read the ignorant and illiterate comments on this forum. Any country plays without a targetman at the World Cup at its peril!

Only a dumb person would think Kelechi Iheanacho will be of any use when he cannot even get hold of the ball. How exactly is he going to score when the opposing defenders will all the headers, tackles, 50:50 balls and crosses?

I actually think Iheanacho and Moses will be good wide players to use behind the targetman Ighalo but to suggest playing either of them up top is like asking Balogun to play in goal. Some of you just do not understand the simple basics of football.

Only an ignorant and illiterate coach will ditch playing with a targetman simply because he is not scoring. What some of you should be suggesting is that the other targetman Simeon Nwankwo be looked at but to be honest, it is too late for that.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Some of the naïveté I read here blows my head away. How do you score when you do not have possession of the ball?

I sometimes want to punch my walls when I read the ignorant and illiterate comments on this forum. Any country plays without a targetman at the World Cup at its peril!

Only a dumb person would think Kelechi Iheanacho will be of any use when he cannot even get hold of the ball. How exactly is he going to score when the opposing defenders will all the headers, tackles, 50:50 balls and crosses?

I actually think Iheanacho and Moses will be good wide players to use behind the targetman Ighalo but to suggest playing either of them up top is like asking Balogun to play in goal. Some of you just do not understand the simple basics of football.

Only an ignorant and illiterate coach will ditch playing with a targetman simply because he is not scoring. What some of you should be suggesting is that the other targetman Simeon Nwankwo be looked at but to be honest, it is too late for that.
How did Iheanacho score against Cameroon? Did he not play CF when he entered the game? How did he score 3 goals as a cf for Leicester this season? Was it all by magic?

I need answers
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Synopsis wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Some of the naïveté I read here blows my head away. How do you score when you do not have possession of the ball?

How did Iheanacho score against Cameroon? Did he not play CF when he entered the game? How did he score 3 goals as a cf for Leicester this season? Was it all by magic?

I need answers
Simplistic nonsense. Iheanacho came on against Cameroon when we were 3-0 up thanks to Ighalo. By then they were were bombing forward recklessly and we scored on the counter attack.

Just to show how little you know, you shamelessly tout a striker who has scored a grand total of THREE goals a season as someone to lead our World Cup attack! Do you think before you type at all?
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Synopsis wrote:

I need answers
Simplistic nonsense. Iheanacho came on against Cameroon when we were 3-0 up thanks to Ighalo. By then they were were bombing forward recklessly and we scored on the counter attack.

Just to show how little you know, you shamelessly tout a striker who has scored a grand total of THREE goals a season as someone to lead our World Cup attack! Do you think before you type at all?
He had 3 goals in 3 matches as a lone striker. 8 goals in total with not many minutes.