Okocha - Mikel should have been played as DM

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Okocha - Mikel should have been played as DM

Post by Otitokoro »

The fact is, I fully concur with JJ on this, as this is basically the exact same thing a few of us said prior to the WC.
Link: Complete Sports Nigeria
Okocha Blames Rohr For Super Eagles Defeat To Croatia
By Johnny Edward:

Former Super Eagles captain Austin Okocha has slammed Gernot Rohr for his poor tactical approach in Nigeria’s 2-0 defeat to Croatia in their opening game at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Got something to say? The let your voice be heard! Back Pass *Sport related topics only*
An own goal from Oghenekaro Eteno and a penalty from Luka Modric extended Nigeria’s winless streak in opening World Cup game to four.

Okocha who starred for Nigeria in three FIFA World Cups in 1994, 1998 and 2002 also faulted the team’s poor defending which led to the two goals conceded in each half.

“It was a decent first half but maturity was the edge the Croatian team had over the Nigerian team,” Okocha said on SuperSport, where he was a guest analyst, after the game.

“The Super Eagles got done by the movements of the Croatian team in their box. The Super Eagles midfielders were not doing their best both in defending and in attack.

“Eagles didn’t geg the best out of Alex Iwobi and Victor Moses because the manager was trying to accommodate Mikel Obi in the team.

“The manager didn’t earn his money today. We were not a threat in the first half and I was expecting him to play three at the back, five players in the midfield and two strikers to the team a chance to get back into the game.

“It is sad because I know we can do better than this. Of course there is still hope but we have to do it the hard way now.

“These (Croatians) are world class players who know how to win by exploiting little details.”

Okocha also blamed Rohr for deploying Mikel in the creative role.

“We didn’t have a creative player today,” the former Nigeria No.10 added. “Mikel has been a good servant to the national team. His best position is playing in front of the defence. We saw what he did playing for Chelsea where he had a glorious career.

“The most creative player in that team is Alex Iwobi but he was played on the flanks. He (Iwobi) can play on the flanks at Arsenal because they had better players in that role like Mesut Ozil.

“The reason why we lost was because we played our best players out of their positions.

“Playing Mikel in that position didn’t help Moses and Iwobi on the flanks.”
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Okocha - Mikel should have been played as DM

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular how far with all ya football nous, come collect some gbosas immediately :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Professionals have to tell you the OBVIOUS!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
fledy
Egg
Egg

Post by fledy »

And what did Mr. Okocha do when he played in those WC?
Please dude go sit
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

fledy wrote:And what did Mr. Okocha do when he played in those WC?
Please dude go sit
Oh boy, completely missing the point...Ohhhh Africa :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Please dude go sit
Topped his group.........twice :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Okocha is right that Mikel can not play the 10 role. I would place him at CM.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote:Cellular how far with all ya football nous, come collect some gbosas immediately :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Professionals have to tell you the OBVIOUS!
Hahahahaha desperation to turn to Okocha for a technical report of the game?

Iwobi was wasted out wide. I wouldn't drop Mikel for Iwobi. Rather if I must start Iwobi I will play 3-5-2 to accommodate him.

The game needed us to be able to operate from both flanks.

We also needed the experience of Mikel... the engine of Etebo and Ndidi.

So Okocha would've done what exactly? Dropped Mikel deep to take the place of?

You are here where most pundits are saying we were done by lack of experience and you want to either drop Mikel or play him in a role he doesn't have the legs to cover the distance you want out of that position.

Okocha is talking like someone who hasn't watched the games this team has played without Mikel... and with Iwobi playing the so-called 10 role.

This game was even in spite of the questionable tactics and strategy deployed by Rohr. That is why folks are pissed off at him. If we were played off the park, it is one thing. But to deploy a tactics and strategy that didn't play to our strengths is downright disgraceful.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cellular wrote: So Okocha would've done what exactly? Dropped Mikel deep to take the place of?
Etebo.

Don't let your dislike of Okocha blind you to the realities of what he's saying.

I'd expected Nigeria to come out fighting and aggressively press the Croatian back line. Then I saw Mikel right behind Ighalo and I knew the jig was up.

What was the game plan? Football is a simple game; put players in their best positions to optimise your chances of winning. It's time for Rohr and Mikel to quit their delusion.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Mikel still has dreams of becoming our next Okocha. He needs to give it up.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Cellular wrote: So Okocha would've done what exactly? Dropped Mikel deep to take the place of?
Etebo.

Don't let your dislike of Okocha blind you to the realities of what he's saying.

I'd expected Nigeria to come out fighting and aggressively press the Croatian back line.
Then I saw Mikel right behind Ighalo and I knew the jig was up.

What was the game plan? Football is a simple game; put players in their best positions to optimise your chances of winning. It's time for Rohr and Mikel to quit their delusion.
Kpom....................I thought we will be making runs and using our unconventional dribbling skills on them, but the boneheaded German just set us up like a 1950s german team.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Cellular wrote:So Okocha would've done what exactly? Dropped Mikel deep to take the place of?
Have Mikel play alongside Ndidi as defensive cover for the back 4. He is an expert at that position. Etebo could then push up further, while Iwobi play more centrally. This would give better balance to the team, instead of having 2 slowpokers as your striker (Ighalo) and AM (Mikel).
Cellular wrote:You are here where most pundits are saying we were done by lack of experience and you want to either drop Mikel or play him in a role he doesn't have the legs to cover the distance you want out of that position.
He and Ndidi will both share the DM responsibilities in the 4-2-3-1 formation played. He has the stamina to play as one of the 2 DMs.
Cellular wrote:Okocha is talking like someone who hasn't watched the games this team has played without Mikel... and with Iwobi playing the so-called 10 role.
You mean like the friendly game against Argentina, where Nigeria took them apart? Puhlease! The team has more attacking punch and bit without Mikel playing as AM. Much more!.
Cellular wrote:This game was even in spite of the questionable tactics and strategy deployed by Rohr. That is why folks are pissed off at him. If we were played off the park, it is one thing. But to deploy a tactics and strategy that didn't play to our st
rengths is downright disgraceful.
. Part of the problem is Rohr's unwillingness to have Mikel play as cover for the back 4. He seems to be risk averse, which cost us dear during this game. Playing Ighalo for 75 mins was a complete waste, when Iheanacho could have had more time to settle into the game and done some damage up front.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Play the team that got you to the worldcup:

Ezenwa

Ebuehi Ekong Balogun Echiejile

Ndidi Onazi Mikel
Iheanacho Iwobi Moses
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Cellular how far with all ya football nous, come collect some gbosas immediately :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Professionals have to tell you the OBVIOUS!
Hahahahaha desperation to turn to Okocha for a technical report of the game?

Iwobi was wasted out wide. I wouldn't drop Mikel for Iwobi. Rather if I must start Iwobi I will play 3-5-2 to accommodate him.

The game needed us to be able to operate from both flanks.

We also needed the experience of Mikel... the engine of Etebo and Ndidi.

So Okocha would've done what exactly? Dropped Mikel deep to take the place of?

You are here where most pundits are saying we were done by lack of experience and you want to either drop Mikel or play him in a role he doesn't have the legs to cover the distance you want out of that position.

Okocha is talking like someone who hasn't watched the games this team has played without Mikel... and with Iwobi playing the so-called 10 role.

This game was even in spite of the questionable tactics and strategy deployed by Rohr. That is why folks are pissed off at him. If we were played off the park, it is one thing. But to deploy a tactics and strategy that didn't play to our strengths is downright disgraceful.
I'm not saying drop him, my only issue is with playing him as an AM and JJ is right that Rohr is 'accommodating' him in that role, and its to the detriment of the team. But Rohr is very stubborn and will continue with Mikel there or even use Iwobi in place of Etebo just so that Mikel can be 'accommodated'. Its frustrating to watch.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

oscar52 wrote:Play the team that got you to the worldcup:

Ezenwa

Ndidi Onazi Mikel
Iheanacho Iwobi Moses
Onazi again? And thats not the team that got us to the world cup, if you want to play that you will have to include Moses Simon, plus Ebuehi didn't play any WCQ games...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

maceo4 wrote:

Ezenwa

Ndidi Onazi Mikel
Iheanacho Iwobi Moses
Onazi again? And thats not the team that got us to the world cup, if you want to play that you will have to include Moses Simon, plus Ebuehi didn't play any WCQ games...
Simon is not on the team. So plug in Iheanacho that can do good in the role, another option is Etebo. Shehu struggled in the RB role during qualifiers so not surprised he is struggling now. Others that played in the RB role during qualifiers are Ndidi and Omeruo but Ebuehi will do just fine but Shehu is not good in the RB and his body language shows that he is not comfortable playing the role.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

zee wrote:
Please dude go sit
Topped his group.........twice :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You dey mind the mugu maga
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

oscar52 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Ezenwa

Ndidi Onazi Mikel
Iheanacho Iwobi Moses
Simon is not on the team. So plug in Iheanacho that can do good in the role, another option is Etebo. Shehu struggled in the RB role during qualifiers so not surprised he is struggling now. Others that played in the RB role during qualifiers are Ndidi and Omeruo but Ebuehi will do just fine but Shehu is not good in the RB and his body language shows that he is not comfortable playing the role.

But Rohr believes shehu is the best RB since Cafu
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

why isn't Okocha coaching the SE or even in the technical team
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Rohr is the only person in the world who doesn't see whay seems to be obvious to everyone else. Iheanacho should strike and Iwobi should play the advanced midfield role behind him. 3 friendlies and he never implemented this
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

niyi wrote:Rohr is the only person in the world who doesn't see whay seems to be obvious to everyone else. Iheanacho should strike and Iwobi should play the advanced midfield role behind him. 3 friendlies and he never implemented this
We're there to learn. :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
niyi wrote:Rohr is the only person in the world who doesn't see whay seems to be obvious to everyone else. Iheanacho should strike and Iwobi should play the advanced midfield role behind him. 3 friendlies and he never implemented this
Oh boy I just have to :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I mean who picked the young team? No be the coach? Why does he keep using that as an excuse?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

maceo4 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Oh boy I just have to :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I mean who picked the young team? No be the coach? Why does he keep using that as an excuse?
Because he has no confidence in his own abilities and probably little in the team's ability.

His position will become untenable at this rate.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd »

Please dude go sit
Really!! how old are you?
An ignorant mind abhors knowledge.