NIGERIA V CROATIA 0-2 (match thread) - Links/Lineup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ebyboy
Egg
Egg
Re: NIGERIA V CROATIA 0-2 (match thread) - Links/Lineup

Post by Ebyboy »

zee wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Ipe Grams wrote:
oloye wrote:You all can hyperventilate all evening....we lost to a better team period. They were better than us in every aspect of the game, that we came off with only 2 goals for me was a surprise because they have a team that can do us 4 without breaking a sweat. How many did Denmark do our so called JJ and the so called great team for? 4 goals under 30mins.

We conceded two avoidable goals and if Moses was a Croatian he would have gotten a penalty from that obnoxious ref. Yes that was a penalty but I want someone to swear Ekong was the first person in this world cup to wrap his hands against his opponent.

Its not that we lost that's painful, it the way we played and likely play the same way in the next 2 matches. Even Peru today played much better and still lost.
Moses was the one tripping himself at most time and they were not penalties at all.
Rohr's stubbornness showed again.

You see a team that showed you early how they want to play you. Go to a 352... you are wasting Iwobi on the flanks. You have played multiple games without a decent shot on goal playing 442.

Good thing is that if (and it is a big if) they can get a win against Iceland they are back in this tourney.
Ogbuefi, I don't expect us to win a single game. I did not expect us to win this one, and we certainly won't win against Iceland. Against Argentina, Messi will use us to show why he should still be considered for the GOAT. It's not good right now.

Our team is full of journeymen. That is not necessarily a bad thing if the journeymen can be induced to play organized and intelligent football. We don't do either.
Oga Ohsee..........The great Keshi used worst Journeymen to get almost to the q/finals.
Africans can NEVER beat Europeans at their SYSTEM...........our only chance is our unpredictability.
German coaches believe in 'RATIONAL' football laws, meaning that better players(trained in european system) will always win against normal players..............................
That's why the Germans call their 1954 WC win against Hungary(with better players) ............................. THE WONDER IN BERN.
:agree:

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

airwolex wrote:I knew Manduzic would be key. We just couldn't handle him like with Mitrovic. Modric is pure class. What a player.
Chief, everybody knew Mandzukic would be key. We all said so here. I don't think he started any of the friendlies, but the coach put him in this game for the problems he would cause Nigeria with aerial balls.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NIGERIA V CROATIA 0-1 (match thread) - Links/Lineup

Post by ohsee »

100%Naija wrote:
Rawlings wrote:Naija played well. They could not have played better
Are you not ashamed that your team didn't qualify? You are here flashy your dirty yellow teeth, with that terrible body odor that can't be cured. Get lost jor.
:rotf:
Kai! 100 percent don vex. :lol:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

World Cup 2018: Perfect start! Croatia cruise to top of ‘Group of Death’
WORLD CUP
June 16, 2018 5:13pm
by AFP
Source: FOX SPORTS

A LUKA Modric penalty and an own goal from Oghenekaro Etebo gave former semi-finalists Croatia an easy 2-0 win over Nigeria in their World Cup Group D opener.
In Russia’s sleepy European exclave of Kaliningrad — perhaps best known for its nuclear missile sites — the much-hyped youngsters of Nigeria struggled to ignite against Croatia’s midfield technicians.

With rivals Argentina and Iceland only managing a 1-1 draw earlier Saturday in Saransk, both sides had a chance to take control of Group D.

Nigeria, knowing they were always likely to struggle for possession against a central one-two of Modric and Ivan Rakitic, were content to sit back and allow Croatia to come to them.

But they were rigid and well-organised, and largely restricted Modric’s distribution to the flanks, where Croatia’s final ball was poor.

After 10 minutes, Juventus target man Mario Mandzukic teed up Ivan Perisic at the edge of the area only for the Inter Milan forward to blaze over.

Croatia, semi-finalists at France ‘98, have struggled to live up to the lofty expectations borne of an embarrassment of midfield riches, and meekly lost their World Cup opener 3-1 to hosts Brazil four years ago.

There is a sense of now-or-never for the Balkans nation at this tournament, in stark contrast to Nigeria, who brought the competition’s youngest squad to Russia.

Coach Gernot Rohr kept faith in 19-year-old keeper Francis Uzoho but the Deportivo stopper’s first real action was picking the ball out of the net.

Iceland score maiden WC goalIceland score maiden WC goal0:39
Just after the half-hour mark, Mandzukic, industrious in his hold-up play, chested a Andrej Kramaric cross back to Ante Rebic, whose fizzing shot was blocked. The resulting corner saw Rebic return the favour with a near-post flick on met by a diving Mandzukic.

Etebo was wrong-footed and bundled into his own net.

Nigeria responded well, with Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi’s shot from a cleared free kick blocked on 45 minutes and his Premier League colleague Victor Moses shooting wide from 30 yards on the stroke of half time.

The Super Eagles had the best of the start of the second period, forcing Croatia to bat away three corners in succession, before Moses again snatched a shot wide of Danjiel Subasic’s left upright.

But just as Nigeria showed some signs of life, William Ekong held down Mandzukic from a cross in the area and referee Sandro did not hesitate to point to the spot.

Modric’s gilded right foot guided it to Uzoho’s right side.

The Real Madrid maestro was not at his best for much of the night, but in truth he did not need to be as Nigeria looked ponderous on the ball and crucially short of big-game experience.

Despite fears pre-match, there was no reports of any racist chanting from among the near-capacity crowd.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/w ... f94e43fdfe
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mate wrote:Thanks for the match guys. I was riveted and always fearing a sudden surge by Nigeria.

Don’t get down. This is our best team since 1998. Yours is very young and inexperienced. Yet we have full respect and played cautiously.

I’m hoping Croatia and Nigeria both advance. Dream big.
Didn't know you were back. :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

SylverEagles wrote:
Odas wrote:Though I am saddened, but I don't think it is over yet. It is not over until we lose our second game.
You have started again? I remember how you have been polluting the forum with your guarantee of the Super Eagles beating Croatia. What happened? I just laugh at guys like you that like to talk with certainty about things you have no control over. :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chief, don't you know we are the England of West Africa? :lol: :lol: We always believe we are the best, forgetting that our team is full of journeymen who are playing in lousy leagues and lower level clubs for a good reason. Anyway, self-deception is a necessary human trait, or many people will be depressed all the time. :lol: The truth is often too bitter for CE peoples. :D
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

This defeat lies squarely with Rohr.

He gives the impression of someone who should be sipping wine in a chateau on the Swiss Alps instead of coaching at an elite football tournament.

I have serious reservations about his competence.

The line up for the Iceland game will tell me all I need to know about how Nigeria will fare... we shall see.

Rohr got this BADLY wrong tonight.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Croatia firmly in control throughout 2-0 win over Nigeria
Modric and Rakitic ran the show.
By SB Nation Soccer Staff Updated Jun 16, 2018, 4:53pm EDT

Based on Nigeria’s performances in friendlies and qualifying, this World Cup Group D match had the potential to be a lot of fun. Instead, Croatia’s midfield duo of Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic kept control of the ball all game long, guiding their team to a comfortable 2-0 victory.

Croatia 2-0 Nigeria, final score
Croatia took the lead on a 32nd minute corner kick through some persistence. Three Croatia players got a touch, but the last person to hit the ball before it dribbled over the line was Nigeria’s Oghenekaro Etebo.
In the second half, a penalty sealed the result for Croatia. William Ekong was caught pulling down Mario Mandzukic in the penalty box, and Modric converted the resulting spot kick.
Nigeria’s stats don’t look too bad on their face — they had 11 shots and 54 percent possession — but very few of the shots were threatening. Croatia was always in position and rarely looked bothered.

Halftime — Nigeria 0 - Croatia 1
It’s halftime here in the final game of the third day of World Cup 2018, and Croatia leads Nigeria 1-0 after a corner kick resulted in an unfortunate own goal for Nigeria, after a ball headed down by Mario Mandzukic caught the back foot of Oghenekaro Etebo and went into his own net. Nigeria will feel hard done by in a half where they put in a lot of good work, but Croatia’s midfield was at times the difference — they nearly doubled their leaded when Ivan Rakitic put a ball perfectly onto the head of Kramaric, who just headed the ball over.

Nigeria vs. Croatia lineups
Both teams line up just about as expected, with some minor surprises. Up top for Nigeria, Odion Ighalo is preferred to Leicester City’s Kelechi Iheanacho. Croatia has picked an attacking lineup, with Ante Rebic and Andrej Kramaric both getting into the team in forward roles, while midfielder Marcelo Brozovic starts on the bench.
https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018/6/ ... le-results
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

joao wrote:Nna, all the experts full ground o. But them no wan apply for coaching job.
Jut people with opinions. Try getting one, it's fun.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Molue Conductor wrote:
asabe wrote:Only player who put in work was Moses..The 2 central defenders were not so bad, aaprt from the peneralty.
Moses was killing out attack by falling down all over the place
It was a bit embarrassing.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

oloye wrote:You all can hyperventilate all evening....we lost to a better team period. They were better than us in every aspect of the game, that we came off with only 2 goals for me was a surprise because they have a team that can do us 4 without breaking a sweat. How many did Denmark do our so called JJ and the so called great team for? 4 goals under 30mins.

We conceded two avoidable goals and if Moses was a Croatian he would have gotten a penalty from that obnoxious ref. Yes that was a penalty but I want someone to swear Ekong was the first person in this world cup to wrap his hands against his opponent.
That Croatia team is average at best. They'll be found out as soon as they face a team that has a plan to beat them.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Mister Dolly wrote:Iheanacho is at least a proven scorer at the Premiership level. He has pace and some guile and must start the next game ahead of Ighalo.

This will be my starting line up versus Iceland in a 4-5-1 formation.

Uzoho

Shehu
Balogun
Ekong
Idowu

Moses
Ndidi
Iwobi
Etebo
Musa

Iheanacho

Gooner1 wrote:
Mister Dolly wrote:Game over. The SE were undone largely by set pieces. Hopefully lessons learnt. On to the next game.
Dolly put the Suprbowl kai kai down. Musa ke? One shove from those physical Icelanders and he'll land in the Red Square.

I'd go with:

Ekong Balo Ogu
Ebuehi Ndidi Etebo Idowu
Iwobi Nacho
Ighalo Nwankwo

Moses needs a reality check. You can't play that poorly and indisciplined and expect to start the next game. He and Mikel can come off the bench.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

theYemster wrote:
9jaMan wrote:Rohr told y'all, he came to learn, una nor believe
Nonsense. Then why not bring players like Kelechi Nwakali, Victor Osimhen and Ola Aina instead of players on their last legs?
My fren, Rohr came to learn. Nobody else did.

Hope he's finished learning.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

We had certain qualities to have had this game played under a different set of parameters, had we a more imaginative coach. It was over for me once I saw how we were setup.

Rather take a licking playing to my strength, instead of playing with fear.

The Simi Nwankwo sub had to be the most stupid thing I ever saw a Nigerian manager make.

It’s all over folks. The fat lady’s already singing....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote:The Simi Nwankwo sub had to be the most stupid thing I ever saw a Nigerian manager make.
I'd long given up at that point. I still shouted at my screen when I saw that. Rohr is without a clue.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

theYemster wrote:
Mister Dolly wrote:Iheanacho is at least a proven scorer at the Premiership level. He has pace and some guile and must start the next game ahead of Ighalo.

Uzoho

Shehu
Balogun
Ekong
Idowu

Moses
Ndidi
Iwobi
Etebo
Musa

Iheanacho

Gooner1 wrote:
Mister Dolly wrote:Game over. The SE were undone largely by set pieces. Hopefully lessons learnt. On to the next game.
Dolly put the Suprbowl kai kai down. Musa ke? One shove from those physical Icelanders and he'll land in the Red Square.

I'd go with:

Ekong Balo Ogu
Ebuehi Ndidi Etebo Idowu
Iwobi Nacho
Ighalo Nwankwo

Moses needs a reality check. You can't play that poorly and indisciplined and expect to start the next game. He and Mikel can come off the bench.
:shock: :shock: you want fifa to disqualify us?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

We had an intelligent, young Nigerian manager with a good understanding of European football and the qualities of our football culture and we managed to screw that up for this....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

txj wrote:We had an intelligent, young Nigerian manager with a good understanding of European football and the qualities of our football culture and we managed to screw that up for this....
Oliseh??
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Synopsis wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Uzoho

Shehu
Balogun
Ekong
Idowu

Moses
Ndidi
Iwobi
Etebo
Musa

Iheanacho

Gooner1 wrote:

I'd go with:

Ekong Balo Ogu
Ebuehi Ndidi Etebo Idowu
Iwobi Nacho
Ighalo Nwankwo

:shock: :shock: you want fifa to disqualify us?
Why? You referring to the goalie? I figured Uzoho is a given...goes without saying.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Cellular wrote:
mate wrote:Thanks for the match guys. I was riveted and always fearing a sudden surge by Nigeria.

Don’t get down. This is our best team since 1998. Yours is very young and inexperienced. Yet we have full respect and played cautiously.

Congrats Mate.

You guys played way too cautiously.

I along with other fans saw it early... our coach decides to keep playing the same way.

We were lucky we didn't score early or else you guys would have attacked and would have seen you would have carved us up any time you wanted with quick passing.

The better team won not because they had better players... they were just the better team.

I posted on other threads here that I thought Croatia would initially defend and try to control the middle. Patiently waiting for our midfield to produce some chances, not letting our defense get exposed in isolation.

I cited our coaches, players, and fans who feared this game the most. Again, we very much respected the Super Eagles. Hell, for the 1st time in a long time, we respected our own infamous mental and character flaws. And therefore played the right game plan.

The key difference was a golden generation of experienced Croatians facing a very young Nigerian team with their future in front of them. AS to the future, it starts with the next 2 games in this WC. Same holds true for Croatia.

We both have a lot to aspire to. Nobody has earned passage nor fallen out yet. We both fight on.

:thumb:
Last edited by mate on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

maceo4 wrote:
zee wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Odas and danfo driver lmao
They are patriotic Nigerians that wanted their country to do well..................the blame is all on Rohr. :curse:
There’s a difference between being patriotic and being stupid blockheaded crooks...anyways 2022.
Yes, I wanted my country to do well and we might still do well. However, when the penalty was awarded, I realized we've lost this one. If the coach is sensible, he should deploy our 3-5-2 formation - with the right players - and see how it goes.

Throughout the first half of the game, I didn't panic because I thought our 3-5-2 will be used in the second half to show Croatia Pepper.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Mscheeeew!

Tourists!
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Mate, Congrats! At no time did I think we will lose the game. I had thought we will spring up in the second half and change things, but it never happened. Honestly, I don't know where my team's (Nigeria) problem lies, but I hope we can rise and advance from the group as you suggested or wished for us and for your team. Again, congrats
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.