IGHALO must be dropped

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: IGHALO must be dropped

Post by ohenhen1 »

maceo4 wrote:Ohenhen we don’t have the players to provide Ighalo with tap ins, so why should he be the first name on the starting sheet? Shouldn’t we play to our strengths and use players like Kele that can feed off scraps and score from a long range shot, have you seen Ighalo be a threat from outside the box?
. He doesn't need tap ins. At least make a driving run into the box to create space for him in the box. Do that atleast.

If I were Ighalo I would quit the national team. So much abuse from fans. He is been setup to fail.

Kelechi Iheanacho is not a lone striker. He will also fail if you play him in that role. We have tried it before and it didn't work. Why must we continue to do the same things and expect different results.

If I were Rohr, I would play two strikers up front and play an attacking midfielder that will make runs into the box or play through balls.
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Ohenhen we don’t have the players to provide Ighalo with tap ins, so why should he be the first name on the starting sheet? Shouldn’t we play to our strengths and use players like Kele that can feed off scraps and score from a long range shot, have you seen Ighalo be a threat from outside the box?
. He doesn't need tap ins. At least make a driving run into the box to create space for him in the box. Do that atleast.

If I were Ighalo I would quite from the national team. So much abuse from fans. He is been setup to fail.

Kelechi Iheanacho is not a lone striker. He will also fail if you play him in that role. We have tried it before and it didn't work. Why must we continue to do the same things and expect different results.
But why do we have to play a lone striker? Why can’t we have Iwobi and Kele combo like against Argentina? The problem is this formation leaves no room for Moses, almost like we are accommodating Moses and Mikel this world Cup to the detriment of the team. Last WC if Moses mess he sat for Musa or someone else. Now there’s no competition...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
seyiblack
Egg
Egg

Post by seyiblack »

Ighalo is the easy blame. But I did not see him missing many chances. We just simply did not create enough attacking plays. The approach to today’s game was off.
Support our boys regardless of coach, ethnicity of players and pure jealousy.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

seyiblack wrote:Ighalo is the easy blame. But I did not see him missing many chances. We just simply did not create enough attacking plays. The approach to today’s game was off.
Its not just today o that we just don't create chances - its the reason why he hasn't scored much for the SE. This has been an issue for a while, so why persist with a striker that relies on clear chances as opposed to pairing Kele and Iwobi who can create chances and score off half chances?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

maceo4 wrote:
seyiblack wrote:Ighalo is the easy blame. But I did not see him missing many chances. We just simply did not create enough attacking plays. The approach to today’s game was off.
Its not just today o that we just don't create chances - its the reason why he hasn't scored much for the SE. This has been an issue for a while, so why persist with a striker that relies on clear chances as opposed to pairing Kele and Iwobi who can create chances and score off half chances?

How many half chances have you seen Iwobi score for both club and country?

If I were Ighalo, I would quit the national team. It is not worth the abuse.

Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

ohenhen1 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Dude, please give it up. Ighalo is crap and past his sell buy date (which was 3 years ago at Watford). Not his fault he was selected. Responsibility lies on our coaches to pick the best team from what they have. Rohr is disciplined and organized (something we have lacked for a long time). But he is much limited at the technical level (has achieved nothing of note in very many years). He is not incisive enough to maximise the potential of what he has, and adapt creatively. Any coach at this level will take just 2 games to know Ighalo is a negative, but No he kept on fieldling the poor guy (had it not been for England he would have also played Onazi instead of Etebo, even though this was obvious since our first WCQ; same story starting Shehu instead of Ebuehi or continuously playing Agu instead of Ogu). Rohr is is technically below par for a WC Finals level, and unfortunately it hurts to see this unfold as suspected.

The team should be Uzoho; Ebuehi, Idowu, Ekong, Balogun; Ndidi, Mikel, Etebo, Iwobi; Moses, Kelechi. Ighalo should have played his last game in GWG. Moses is also getting to his sell by date, and this WC should be Mikel's last games for SE. Hoping, we can get adequate sponsors to now afford befitting coaches.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

You didn't see Iwobi scoring the half chance that got us the WC ticket? Or the two versus Argentina? Or the one vs England after Ighalo messed up a clear chance? If you are talking finishing, Iwobi is waaaaaaaaay more clinical.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ighalo should not start. If we’re not scoring goals with him as a lone striker why keep playing him there? Time to try another player. It can’t get any worse.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ohenhen1 wrote:I will say it again. Ighalo is not Nigeria problem. We are applying the wrong cure to the disease.

How many chances did his team mates create for him today?

Ighalo is a decent striker, that will score goals if the coach properly utilizes him and provides adequate support.

You actually think Iheanacho that has previously failed in GWG as a lone striker will magically save Nigeria if put in the same position again. I remember the criticism Iheanacho got on here after a bad performance on CE. People started calling him a flop. I can post those threads if you want. I remember that flop thread well well.

Ighalo is been setup to fail. Iheanacho will also fail if he is put in the same position against Iceland. The coach need to provide enough support for the strikers. He is not doing it.

Musa is definitely not better than Ighalo or Iheanacho.

KPOM.

IGhalo for me is not doing enough.

BUT HE IS NOT THE MAIN PROBLEM.

I will say it now. Our problem is our transition from turnover to attack is way too slow. If you remember how we destroyed Argentina, it was with quick FORWARD passing. This game and our recent friendlies, we are way too slow, players hogging the ball, backwards passing, and ignoring players making runs. I saw a few today, where players were making runs only to be ignored.

For the first time in a decade I must admit that Mikel IS A DETRIMENT TO THE TEAM.

He could do well if instructed to release the ball quicker and look for quick forward counter attacking passes. We are wasting too much time dilly dallying on the ball and allowing the opposition to get back.

Mikel and Moses the 2 senior players ARE BY FAR THE BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENTS, ALONG WITH COACH ROHR.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Even the likes of Lewandoski, Aguero,Kane,and Suarez will struggle to score in this Nigerian team. Ighalo was starved of service.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

This World Cup loss brings the worst in us, and we start insulting each other or start character assassination because we don't agree with each other. Its rather immature and unfortunate. The World Cup is still on and as far as I know the team is not officially out yet so on to next game, debate formations etc but enough with the insults, It doesn't make your argument more superior
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

john12 wrote:Enough is Fvcking enough. Strikers main responsibility is to score goals not hold the ball. I am sick and tired of this obsession with holding the ball because there’s no reason kelechi should be on the bench for ighalo.
you remember how many times you attacked me after the WC qualifierafter i mention this impotent ighalo should not make the team? but u still insisted that he he must play bcos he was part of the team that qualified us. Now you are angry bcos after getting your client into the team, he didnt pay you agency fee. He must play the rest of the tourny o. Afterall, he scored a goal against all mighty cameroun. Bloody AGENT!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

oloye wrote:
anikulapo wrote:In a game like this we need a striker who posed a threat .... as much as I despise Musa I would have played him as a striker to occupy that backline and create space for Moses and Iwobi .... poor strategy from Rohr today
If he played Musa some will slay the coach for leaving out Ighalo. The only coach who is right the one who did not select the team. :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I love this quote.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I am in support of ighalo being dropped. A striker is judged on goals and from Yekini, Ikpeba, Aghahowa, Aghali, Martins, Yakubu, Emenike to Iheanacho, our strikers have always scored.
Ighalo is the first non scoring striker that I can recall since I started following the National team in 1976 AFCON. Despite Rohr's tactics, the likes of Iheanacho and Iwobi have been scoring, why can't Ighalo. His decision to move to China has not helped his game and his goal drought for the SE is the longest ever of any Nigerian striker. He has had enough chances and he just doesn't cut it.
I am happy
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

It is a team sport. How can a striker score goals with no support from his team mates?

Ighalo should start. He is still Nigeria best striker, if he wasn't. He will be on the bench.

Ighalo has the best goals per game average of any Nigerian striker this year.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote:It is a team sport. How can a striker score goals with no support from his team mates?

Ighalo should start. He is still Nigeria best striker, if he wasn't. He will be on the bench.

When did he score this year?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

maceo4 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:It is a team sport. How can a striker score goals with no support from his team mates?

When did he score this year?
I think he means his goals in China.
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

Ighalo should not start any more.

Simy or kelechi shd be starting he can come in as subs when opposition is tired

This is not China, World Cup is as tough or tougher than Champions league .

Same thing with Mikel