Going forward ...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Going forward ...

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Before a coach is hired we have first to decide how we want to play, then hire a coach that is on board with that style. Don't hire a coach and give him control over choosing our playing style.

I don't know about you but I am sick of watching even mediocre teams dominate possession against us and force us to watch SE games with one hand on the Pepto Bismol.

WE should be the ones dictating play, not the ones always on the back foot. We should go into games expecting to dominate possession except when we decide not to.

Wha choo looking at?!
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: Going forward ...

Post by john12 »

We were never beating Croatia. Idk where this arrogance came from but look at their squad and ours and compare player vs player then you will see who has the better players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

john12 wrote:We were never beating Croatia. Idk where this arrogance came from but look at their squad and ours and compare player vs player then you will see who has the better players.
I don't want cowards in my thread. Please carry your cowardice and gerrout! :arrow:

Wha choo looking at?!
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
john12 wrote:We were never beating Croatia. Idk where this arrogance came from but look at their squad and ours and compare player vs player then you will see who has the better players.
I don't want cowards in my thread. Please carry your cowardice and gerrout! :arrow:

Most of the guys on this forum are people that did not watch Nigerian teams in the 80s and 90s. so they come in and talk alot of rubbish. Rohr should be sacked this team is the worst I have seen for a long time.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

If this is the case then Argentina should have beat Iceland 10-0! And we would have lost to Spain in 1998.

This is loser mentality.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Before a coach is hired we have first to decide how we want to play, then hire a coach that is on board with that style. Don't hire a coach and give him control over choosing our playing style.

I don't know about you but I am sick of watching even mediocre teams dominate possession against us and force us to watch SE games with one hand on the Pepto Bismol.

WE should be the ones dictating play, not the ones always on the back foot. We should go into games expecting to dominate possession except when we decide not to.
I've heard it all on CE. Who are the WE that should dictate the play. Delusional fans, internet coaches, EFCC, NFF or Buhari? :rotf:
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Synopsis wrote:
If this is the case then Argentina should have beat Iceland 10-0! And we would have lost to Spain in 1998.
Iceland should have lost. The ball possession was 78% to 22% and Messi missed a penalty. The point is, the team with the better players were better and retaining possession and looked more likely to win the game. If Iceland and Argentina played 10 times, Argentina would win more of those games and Iceland may well win one or two of those games. The odds favour the team with the better players.
That's what john12 was saying. Croatia has the superior players (based on what clubs they play for) so were better at ball possession. If they had lost to a team with inferior players, then it would have meant they got their system wrong or we were lucky.

Of course, you can build a TEAM that can overcome teams with superior players, but that is a whole different story. It would be hard to do that if you're relying on intermittent short camps with players from different systems that hardly ever played together before.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

We need a coach that understands the Nigerian psyche.

Only someone that can channel the spirit of '94 into the next gen is good enough.

Our local coaches are more than good enough with even half the support that we give to these over rated technical advisers.

If you have to hire a coach, then go for a South American or Spanish coach who will at least understands the value of free flowing soccer and play to that strength.

I have had it with German coaches and I never ever want to ever again have to see one near my beloved team.

Shikena!
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

osita wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

Most of the guys on this forum are people that did not watch Nigerian teams in the 80s and 90s. so they come in and talk alot of rubbish. Rohr should be sacked this team is the worst I have seen for a long time.
Rubbish.
Total, emotional rubbish.
You've obviously not been watching football for very long, unlike what you claim.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

We played our finest football under Westerhof, Keshi and Oliseh. None of them were Sourh American or Spanish. Let's abandon this WOWO mentality and hire a competent local coach.
Last edited by Ekorian on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote:
Synopsis wrote:
Iceland should have lost. The ball possession was 78% to 22% and Messi missed a penalty. The point is, the team with the better players were better and retaining possession and looked more likely to win the game. If Iceland and Argentina played 10 times, Argentina would win more of those games and Iceland may well win one or two of those games. The odds favour the team with the better players.
That's what john12 was saying. Croatia has the superior players (based on what clubs they play for) so were better at ball possession. If they had lost to a team with inferior players, then it would have meant they got their system wrong or we were lucky.

Of course, you can build a TEAM that can overcome teams with superior players, but that is a whole different story. It would be hard to do that if you're relying on intermittent short camps with players from different systems that hardly ever played together before.
Orion, calm voice of reason AS EVER! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ekorian wrote:We played our finest football under Westerhof, Keshi and Oliseh. None of them were Sourh American or Spanish. Let's abandon this WOWO mentality and hire a competent local coach.
Oliseh??? We drew SWAZILAND and TANZANIA under Oliseh. He was garbage.
Last edited by Synopsis on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Synopsis wrote:

This is loser mentality.
Fact Iceland reached the Q/F of the European Cup,
Fact Iceland topped their group which included Croatia, Ukraine and Turkey
Fact Nigeria has failed to qualify for the last two AFCONs
Fact Argentina struggled to qualify for 2018 WC

When you base your opinion on facts and not an emotional diatribe, you will realise that the Nigeria squad is very average.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ekorian wrote:We played our finest football under Westerhof, Keshi and Oliseh. None of them were Sourh American or Spanish. Let's abandon this WOWO mentality and hire a competent local coach.
LIKE WHO NAH?
We just love going round in circles. Its our national trait.
Our fans are typical of our national malaise but we love to blame everyone for being disorganized and incompetent.
Your suggestion is incompetent becos I bet you cannot name any competent local coach that fits the bill.
So 'they' should just find somebody shaaa, as if by magic.
As long as he is 'local'. :idea:
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

realtrouble wrote:
Synopsis wrote:

This is loser mentality.
Fact Iceland topped their group which included Croatia, Ukraine and Turkey

When you base your opinion on facts and not an emotional diatribe, you will realise that the Nigeria squad is very average.
You are helping my argument. Iceland is a team with no players in top teams but are successful. Some Nigeria fans expect us to lose agaist teams with top players.

We have better players than Iceland but Iceland was able to defeat Croatia in qualifying.
Last edited by Synopsis on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Synopsis wrote:
We are talking about our attacking style of play. Besides, Rohr got everything he wanted. We can't say the same about our local coaches.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ekorian wrote:
Synopsis wrote:
We are talking about our style of play of attacking football.
What attacking football? Our style sucked with Oliseh. You need to rewatch those games.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Damunk wrote:
Orion wrote:
Synopsis wrote:

Orion, calm voice of reason AS EVER! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Orion is just talking Nonsense. Team success depends a lot on playing to your team's strength, Iceland always plays to their strength and if the replay Argentina again....... They may even win

With normal players in the Belgium , Danish leagues etc we played to our strength in 1994 and even a 1990 WC finalist with great Maradona never dominated us like today
Any woworism is a blinding sickness.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Synopsis wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Synopsis wrote:

This is loser mentality.
Fact Iceland topped their group which included Croatia, Ukraine, and Turkey

You are helping my argument. Iceland is a team with no players in top teams but are successful. Some Nigeria fans expect us to lose against teams with top players.

We have better players than Iceland but Iceland was able to defeat Croatia in qualifying.
I doubt we have better players than Iceland, do we have any players of the caliber of Gylfi Sigurðsson
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Damunk wrote:
LIKE WHO NAH?
Our fans are typical of our national malaise but we love to blame everyone for being disorganized and incompetent.
Your suggestion is incompetent becos I bet you cannot name any competent local coach that fits the bill.
I followed our local league. We have coaches like Godwin Uwua, Ibrahim Musa and Abdul Maikaba doing well with there teams. This mercenary recycling after spending millions of dollars is getting us nowhere.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Damunk wrote:
LIKE WHO NAH?
Ol'boy if you are bringing someone foreign in as a 'Technical Adviser', he'd better be more intelligent than the Nigerian 'internet coaches' and fans!

How a team rooster from a technical adviser can be worse than one by the best on CE, it is a wonder of immense proportions. Yes, what does Rohr ever do to earn his pay.

It was obvious we weren't going to get far with an inexperienced team. That was a stretch to expect them to do that.

But being offered this damp squib of a WC performance as a basis for the future is woworish in the extreme. Sorry. No way to hide this.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Before a coach is hired we have first to decide how we want to play, then hire a coach that is on board with that style. Don't hire a coach and give him control over choosing our playing style.
Scipio Berlusconi, nno! Should the coach be allowed to pick the starting 11 or must Pipo Inzaghi scrawled on the end of a *** box be a dead cert?
Last edited by Coach on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Coach wrote:
Scipio Berlusconi, nno! Should the coach be allowed to pick the starting 11 or must Pipo Inzaghi scrawled on the end of a *** box be a dead cert?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: