Moving forward.... qualification chances

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marutimon
Egg
Egg
Moving forward.... qualification chances

Post by marutimon »

We have to hope Croatia beat Argentina!

That is now our best chance to progress.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg
Re: Moving forward...

Post by Synopsis »

Yep. If Croatia beats Argentina and we beat Iceland we would need at least a draw against Argentina to advance.

Croatia 6
Nigeria 3
Argentina 1
Iceland 1

Unfortunately, I see us drawing Iceland and Croatia losing to Argentina.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

marutimon wrote:We have to hope Croatia beat Argentina!

That is now our best chance to progress.

The only thing we can say is that we still hold our destiny in our hands. But we have to play much better.
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Not sure about that. This team is shockingly horrible. The coach doesn’t help either at all. It’s almost like he’s sabotaging the nation. How do you explain playing 4-2-3-1 that was horribly ineffective in the last few game over 3-5-2 that had the team playing their best football ever? Common! No way this team survive the barrage of corner kicks, throw-ins and in-direct free kicks Iceland will throw at them. Nigeria are out of this tournament.. period!
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We will win this group. Na me tok am!
OCCUPY NFF!!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

I need some of the weed you're smoking..
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:We will win this group. Na me tok am!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Too early to be doing advanced calculations. I'll just watch and enjoy.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Yes, if we use our best formation of 3-5-2 which seem to have worked wonders in all our friendlies and with the appropriate personnel, else you are going to be as guilty as I was in my STRONG prediction.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Goalgetter wrote:Not sure about that. This team is shockingly horrible. The coach doesn’t help either at all. It’s almost like he’s sabotaging the nation. How do you explain playing 4-2-3-1 that was horribly ineffective in the last few game over 3-5-2 that had the team playing their best football ever? Common! No way this team survive the barrage of corner kicks, throw-ins and in-direct free kicks Iceland will throw at them. Nigeria are out of this tournament.. period!
I am wondering of that too. I thought after the friendlies the 3-5-2 is what we will be using. In addition, I thought we will switch immediately to 3-5-2 from the beginning of the second half.

Honestly, at no time did I NOT think we will win the game until we conceded the penalty and I lost all hopes
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Amen
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Qualification is still achievable

Post by pajimoh »

It looks like the end of the world right now but we can still beat the remaining two teams. Keep the faith.
It is not over. This team need some spark. This defeat might just be the thunder we need.

I'm hopeful..

TGBTG - Up Naija, Up Super Eagles
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Ahidjo
Egg
Egg
Re: Qualification is still achievable

Post by Ahidjo »

pajimoh wrote:It looks like the end of the world right now but we can still beat the remaining two teams. Keep the faith.
It is not over. This team need some spark. This defeat might just be the thunder we need.

I'm hopeful..

Yes it is achievable but we will not qualify. It will take more than the Daman miracle to do this. At least not with the kind of lethargic and half-hearted display of Saturday.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Thanks for this thread pajimoh.
Nobody likes to lose, but losing should not be the end of the world.
If any of these lamenting naysayers ever compete for anythings they sure would have lost a few.
Thus why all the unreasonable accusations and demeaning of people's efforts. One loss and some ITKs
herein are asking for a new coach. Some 'genius' even suggested that Uzoho and Etebo be benched.
I've said this before, many herein are fair weather SE fans. The rave the most when we win and exhibit
the worst in themselves when we lost. I can't wait for same 'flippers' jumping the ship now, to get their
obnoxious selves back on after our next win.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Soccerfan00
Egg
Egg

Post by Soccerfan00 »

joao wrote:Thanks for this thread pajimoh.
Nobody likes to lose, but losing should not be the end of the world.
If any of these lamenting naysayers ever compete for anythings they sure would have lost a few.
Thus why all the unreasonable accusations and demeaning of people's efforts. One loss and some ITKs
herein are asking for a new coach. Some 'genius' even suggested that Uzoho and Etebo be benched.
I've said this before, many herein are fair weather SE fans. The rave the most when we win and exhibit
the worst in themselves when we lost. I can't wait for same 'flippers' jumping the ship now, to get their
obnoxious selves back on after our next win.
joao, how the hell do they go through all that hell of qualifying and still play crap in the main event, this is unacceptable. we don't care if they lost, they should show the world that they can play good football, give us some happy memories and not just talking about nonsense kit designs etc.

iceland has been very new to the international scene and even though we all know they aren't going to win these tournaments, they keep on getting better and better and showing the world not to fear any opponent and giving your best for their country to the final whistle. this is what we expect from our country not this crap that we are watching.
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

Fwiw, four years ago, Nigeria started someone called Azeez in the first match of the World Cup and gave an absolutely wretched performance against Iran in a match they probably should have lost. They still ended up qualifying. They will need at least 4 points from the next two matches and to change the GD situation.

Iceland will target Nigeria as the one match they can win and probably come out to play. We have to punish them for this.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

We had a $#% group in 2014 and we were lucky to qualify.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Synopsis wrote:We had a $#% group in 2014 and we were lucky to qualify.
In 2010 we had a chance to qualify in the very last game even after two defeats but because we didn't really deserve to be there we drew 2-2 with South Korea and Yakubu missed a sitter,we qualify regulary but never learn how to play as a team our football team is a reflection of our nation (hard of learning)!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Not with Rohr in charge.

We ain't going nowhere.

You only need to listen to him at press conferences and see his body language on the touch line.

You already knew we lost the few times the camera panned on him.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

cchinukw wrote:Not with Rohr in charge.

We ain't going nowhere.

You only need to listen to him at press conferences and see his body language on the touch line.

You already knew we lost the few times the camera panned on him.
Kpom.......not with Rohr, like a typical old German he hates surprises. For a typical old German everything must have it's ORDER and surprises are a very big no-no.
All my German 'pals' that watched our match agreed that this is one hell of a boring match and Nigeria never played like Nigeria.
LOSING IS BAD ENOUGH, BUT LOSING LIKE A BUNCH OF WIMPERS IS A TRAGEDY.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Synopsis wrote:We had a $#% group in 2014 and we were lucky to qualify.
In 2010 we had a chance to qualify in the very last game even after two defeats but because we didn't really deserve to be there we drew 2-2 with South Korea and Yakubu missed a sitter,we qualify regulary but never learn how to play as a team our football team is a reflection of our nation (hard of learning)!
Exactly, the point is not that we lost, its how we played. You have to go back to France 98 and 94 when we last played well as a football team and not 11 clueless individuals on the field. :mad:
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Nigeria is the weakest team in group D, after the first games, Iceland definitely have a chance against Nigeria, they are defensively sound and they dont have to win the game, they can play for a point and lock horns with Croatia who i feel are beatable

Nigeria has to go for broke against Iceland, right now we have nothing to lose and will possibly go home with the rest of their african brethren, at least play with pride
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

pajimoh wrote:It looks like the end of the world right now but we can still beat the remaining two teams. Keep the faith.

I'm hopeful..

Yes all we have to do is keep praying, since our opponents do pray too..abi...what we saw yesterday has been in every friendly we played. SE aren't getting out of that group. Nigeria never advances from the group after losing its first game. Fact
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Quite frankly, I don't care.

I'd rather one of you lot take Rohr's place at our next match. I'd have better hope then.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051