Matters Arising!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Re: Matters Arising!

Post by chief nfachairman »

Gotti wrote:Oga NFAChair: BTW, we are still patiently waiting for you to show us evidence to back up your allegation that Taribo West had played professionally for several years in India before playing in Nigeria. Time apparently does not sober up some folks. LMAO!
I cant even remember this sef. if i mentioned this, probably 15/18yrs ago.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Gotti wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Enugu II wrote:How exactly does this impact negatively on Nigeria's national team?
Where is the continuity? COnsidering that Nigeria always has the youngest squad in the tournament. Our players hardly get to play upto 2 WCs. Very few do (Eyeama did 3). Imagine Osaze was born in Nigeria, he would be 28 now but still playing for the national team. Balogun at 34 would likely be in the next WC even if on bench, Omeruo would not!
EII, as per NFA Chair's "logic", the highlighted below shows how age-cheating has affected England... :lol:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United)

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)
Lets focus on the first team then remove those that are out of the game due to age or injury.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

only on ce; so now marriage has become an age test on
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

For years, people here have been saying show evidence of the alleged age cheats real age. They are expecting us to bring birth certificate or passport. i say NONSENSE! BC and passport details can be faked/ changed etc. One of my players is 32 right now. He did a passport 5yrs ago and now the age is 23. He has an opening in Azerbaijan and he came to meet me to give him 50k (normal fast track passport is 30k) bcos he has to make a new passport and reduce his age to 18yrs. You can hardly find any player using his real age.

This same guy's younger brother (bad #$% and skillful midfielder), told me his real age is 24yrs. I approved him to remove 5yrs from his age only to find out last week from his 32yr old older brother (mistakenly) that he is 27yrs. He is close to joining MFM. 2yrs from now, he would get invited to the under 20 and he would change his age to 18yrs while he is actually 29yrs old.

Nigeria is communal. We can only determine someones age by not only how he looks, but by their peers, classmates, siblings, year of major milestones like high school graduation etc
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

jette1 wrote:only on ce; so now marriage has become an age test on

All our players are getting married between the age of 21-27. Yes sterling got married at 21yrs but thats an exception rather than the rule. Infact, i know people in the western world get married early but in NIgeria, apart from the northerners that get married really early, southerners usually do it from 28yrs and above with people from the SOuth east doing it a little later.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Nigerian born players peak between the age 21-25.

I dont mind reducing age by 3/4yrs but mehn, 7yrs and more is a sin. If you do 7yrs, pls dont bother coming to the national team. We want the Iwobi's that would keep improving year in, year out and give the national team atleast another 10yrs.

People like Jayjay where reasonable with their age cuts not what we are seeing now. A yr or 2 After the 2022 world cup, players liek Isaac Success would be ready for china or UAE.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Look i met the younger brother of an ex nigerian international in Stoke in 1996, his older brother played in France and in Germany, was a top player and an African player of the year, the younger brother was older than his elder brother, believe me or not, as far as the elder brother official age was concerned, they looked so much alike
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

chief nfachairman wrote:For years, people here have been saying show evidence of the alleged age cheats real age. They are expecting us to bring birth certificate or passport. i say NONSENSE! BC and passport details can be faked/ changed etc. One of my players is 32 right now. He did a passport 5yrs ago and now the age is 23. He has an opening in Azerbaijan and he came to meet me to give him 50k (normal fast track passport is 30k) bcos he has to make a new passport and reduce his age to 18yrs. You can hardly find any player using his real age.

This same guy's younger brother (bad #$% and skillful midfielder), told me his real age is 24yrs. I approved him to remove 5yrs from his age only to find out last week from his 32yr old older brother (mistakenly) that he is 27yrs. He is close to joining MFM. 2yrs from now, he would get invited to the under 20 and he would change his age to 18yrs while he is actually 29yrs old.

Nigeria is communal. We can only determine someones age by not only how he looks, but by their peers, classmates, siblings, year of major milestones like high school graduation etc
This is fecked up!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

A lot of this has to do with laziness, incompetence and downright collusion and corruption on the parts of both the media and the authorities.

When someone challenged me on the clear age cheating of Charity Ikhidero aka Tunde Charity RIP it took 10 minutes to provide clear and unimpeachable evidence of the cheating.

Anyway this nonsense will continue as long as Nigerians continue to bury their heads in the sand ... personally I don’t believe any stated ages of Nigerian players anyway :roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

chief nfachairman wrote:Nigerian born players peak between the age 21-25.

I dont mind reducing age by 3/4yrs but mehn, 7yrs and more is a sin. If you do 7yrs, pls dont bother coming to the national team. We want the Iwobi's that would keep improving year in, year out and give the national team atleast another 10yrs.

People like Jayjay where reasonable with their age cuts not what we are seeing now. A yr or 2 After the 2022 world cup, players liek Isaac Success would be ready for china or UAE.

Baba NFA continue to speak the truth and don’t the ostriches silence you ja re :thumb:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

chief nfachairman wrote:Again, on Awoniyi, he is one of the younger players in that squad. He was 20 when he played u17 for Nigeria. He was in olofinjana's academy and I was pretty close to that setup. I know his peers. 2 of them trained with my club after they left the academy tertiarybeducation reasons.
"I could remember that I used the money my father gave me to purchase a JAMB form to travel to Imperial Football Academy, and that was the turning point of my life.
He finished Secondary school at Government Day SSC3 in 2013, Same year he played in the U-16 WC... Going by your logic, how many kids finish secondary school at aged 20?

Working backwards means he would have started Secondary school in 2008 (aged 11). Working backwards would suggest he started primary 1 in 2002 (aged 5) ...from being born in 1997...

https://www.naija.ng/1111726-how-nigeri ... ml#1111726

Now considering that he was signed by Liverpool in 2015 (aged 18) ..Going by the information you stated as fact, if he was 20 when he played for the U17 in 2013, That would have made him 22 when Liverpool signed him... I will be surprised if Liverpool could be passed a 22 year old lad and as 18 year old teenager without raising an eyebrow..
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Mr Shows wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:Again, on Awoniyi, he is one of the younger players in that squad. He was 20 when he played u17 for Nigeria. He was in olofinjana's academy and I was pretty close to that setup. I know his peers. 2 of them trained with my club after they left the academy tertiarybeducation reasons.
"I could remember that I used the money my father gave me to purchase a JAMB form to travel to Imperial Football Academy, and that was the turning point of my life.
He finished Secondary school at Government Day SSC3 in 2013, Same year he played in the U-16 WC... Going by your logic, how many kids finish secondary school at aged 20?

Working backwards means he would have started Secondary school in 2008 (aged 11). Working backwards would suggest he started primary 1 in 2002 (aged 5) ...from being born in 1997...

Now considering that he was signed by Liverpool in 2015 (aged 18) ..Going by the information you stated as fact, if he was 20 when he played for the U17 in 2013, That would have made him 22 when Liverpool signed him... I will be surprised if Liverpool could be passed a 22 year old lad and as 18 year old teenager without raising an eyebrow..
je kin gbe e lo si Iyaniwura nursery and primary or Ijebu Ode grammar school, o ju e ma ja.

Again, like i said, Awoniyi was one of the youngest players in that squad just like some few, very few other players. The age that it would take a Nigerian youth to actually get ripe for top flight football is 24/25. Its not becuase they are not talented but becuase of our environment like opportunities, training, discovery etc. Awoniyi would come good and wold end up playing for Nigeria for a very very long time, Longer than iheanacho, success and co.

As for Ndidi, if memory serves me right, he got dropped from the U17 due to age reasons, i just hope he didnt cut off more than 4yrs cos i really like that kid.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Mr Shows wrote:

When i tell people im in my 40s, they are shocked. they say i pass for someone in his late 20s or early 30s. Infact, in my football club, when i hear some people's real ages, i wanna pass out. They are usually 7/8yrs older than they look.

The youngest player in my team is someone called Xavi, his from the north. Until friday, i thought Xavi was 14/15 until his closest friend in the team told me he was 20 and going to be 21 this year. Xavi finished secondary school last year.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

When i tell people im in my 40s, they are shocked. they say i pass for someone in his late 20s or early 30s. Infact, in my football club, when i hear some people's real ages, i wanna pass out. They are usually 7/8yrs older than they look.

The youngest player in my team is someone called Xavi, his from the north. Until friday, i thought Xavi was 14/15 until his closest friend in the team told me he was 20 and going to be 21 this year. Xavi finished secondary school last year.
Please start a thread to talk about players faking their ages and we'll join in. Nobody here agrees with age-faking. We all believe it's detrimental to football development etc etc
What's wrong is that you've chosen the occasion of Awoniyi's wedding to get on your soapbox. That is classless, misleading and irresponsible especially when you consider the facts surrounding this particular case.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

niyi wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

Please start a thread to talk about players faking their ages and we'll join in. Nobody here agrees with age-faking. We all believe it's detrimental to football development etc etc
What's wrong is that you've chosen the occasion of Awoniyi's wedding to get on your soapbox. That is classless, misleading and irresponsible especially when you consider the facts surrounding this particular case.
Niyi, while I believe people must bring evidence to prove their case, I also believe there is no perfect time to expose age cheats, I have no regard for them so even if they are being buried, we can still have someone expose the character as an age cheat

I have asked for evidence on this Awoniyi case, and even though I cannot conclude for a fact that Awoniyi is an age cheat, I am at least beginning to have some doubts based on NFA Chair's subsequent comments

When you consider that a lot of our players peak at "30" you begin to have doubts on the official age

All Im saying is that when casting aspersions on someone and you dont know for a fact what you are saying,consider if someone was to do same about you
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

akamoke wrote:
niyi wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

Niyi, while I believe people must bring evidence to prove their case, I also believe there is no perfect time to expose age cheats, I have no regard for them so even if they are being buried, we can still have someone expose the character as an age cheat

I have asked for evidence on this Awoniyi case, and even though I cannot conclude for a fact that Awoniyi is an age cheat, I am at least beginning to have some doubts based on NFA Chair's subsequent comments
Based on what? His comments on other age cheats or his baseless statement that he knows Awoniyi's friends?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Is the current Nigerian keeper really 19? :rotf:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Anthony Martial of ex-Monaco and now Man United is 22 years old and has been married and divorced and has 2 kids. So why question nigerian young players getting married early on their age? The life of a professional footballer outside training can be very lonely and some get married rather than (in their abundant spare time) get mixed up with dodgy folks and dodgy activities that can ruin their career. In other words, some get married early to stabilise and focus.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

bamenda boy wrote:Is the current Nigerian keeper really 19? :rotf:
The last time I was in Lagos, I met a guy who claimed to be 23
The next day he introduced me to his 19-year-old daughter
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

airwolex wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:For years, people here have been saying show evidence of the alleged age cheats real age. They are expecting us to bring birth certificate or passport. i say NONSENSE! BC and passport details can be faked/ changed etc. One of my players is 32 right now. He did a passport 5yrs ago and now the age is 23. He has an opening in Azerbaijan and he came to meet me to give him 50k (normal fast track passport is 30k) bcos he has to make a new passport and reduce his age to 18yrs. You can hardly find any player using his real age.

This is fecked up!
People like NFAC are part of the problem condoning and paying for age cheats. What is the point in coming here to drop your experience when he's one of the facilitators?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Gotti wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Enugu II wrote:How exactly does this impact negatively on Nigeria's national team?
Where is the continuity? COnsidering that Nigeria always has the youngest squad in the tournament. Our players hardly get to play upto 2 WCs. Very few do (Eyeama did 3). Imagine Osaze was born in Nigeria, he would be 28 now but still playing for the national team. Balogun at 34 would likely be in the next WC even if on bench, Omeruo would not!
EII, as per NFA Chair's "logic", the highlighted below shows how age-cheating has affected England... :lol:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United)

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)
Lets focus on the first team then remove those that are out of the game due to age or injury.
Is it the AGE Effect?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

Enugu II wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Gotti wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

Is it the AGE Effect?
Deflection , the focus and question is on Nigeria and the possibility of age cheats.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

soothsayer wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Gotti wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

Is it the AGE Effect?
Deflection , the focus and question is on Nigeria and the possibility of age cheats.
I do not believe it is deflection if the claim is that age is a reason why many who played for Nigeria at WC 2014 and not in WC 2018. Why should we simply accept that claim without even the simplest of tests. That test is to examine their competitors to see whether in fact such a claim is plausible? If England had a simpler progression from 2014 to 2018 how confident can we then be that age is the cause?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics