SET PIECE DEFENDING

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SET PIECE DEFENDING

Post by oloye »

Considering the number of corners and freekicks we concede in games......I think this team has done well with set pieces.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

Ugbowo wrote:Yes we have a problem defending set pieces no doubt. But giving up 7 corners in 17 mins is an aberration.

We have always had a problem defending them. This is nothing new. I hope we get better at it.

I just hate so called fans opening threads to say we will chop goals and are going 3 out and are coming to take bets. What manner of fan are you? Yes come in and say we have a problem, we discuss what can possibly be done to rectify in 7 days.

Miss me with the negative B.S.

#SoarSuperEagles
Fans that love their team criticize their team. I believe one of the biggest problems with the eagles are the fans that celebrate mediocrity.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Uncle VE...you are right.
vancity eagle wrote:We will chop goals at this WC via set pieces.

Wanna bet ?

We are going 3 and out. You simply cannot defend so comically at this level. Our opponents surely would have noted this by now.

We can dominate all 3 games but when you have such a weak Achilles heel as such, we aint going nowhere.

Before the Czechs scored I just texted my brother saying how we will give up goals from set pieces this WC.

Minutes later the Czechs scored. What disgraceful defending.

It was John Ogu who lost his marker and gave him a free header on goal. Uzoho saved but the rebound was tucked in.

It's game over folks. This thread will be resurrected in each of the 3 matches.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

Wanna bet ?

We are going 3 and out. You simply cannot defend so comically at this level. Our opponents surely would have noted this by now.

We can dominate all 3 games but when you have such a weak Achilles heel as such, we aint going nowhere.

Before the Czechs scored I just texted my brother saying how we will give up goals from set pieces this WC.

It was John Ogu who lost his marker and gave him a free header on goal. Uzoho saved but the rebound was tucked in.

You’re free to support another team.
He used to support Ivory Coast :rotf:
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

We will chop goals at this WC via set pieces.

Wanna bet ?

BUMP.

Kai no be only Nigeria either it is a problem of all African teams. In fact so far EVERY GOAL SCORED ON AN AFRICAN TEAM HAS BEEN VIA A SET PIECE

1. Egypt lose to Uruguay in last minute from a free kick

2. Morocco score an own goal in the last minute from a free kick

3. Nigeria let in 2 goals from corner kicks, 1 own goal and 1 penalty

This kind of comical defending will keep African teams behind. Even in 2014 Ghana lost to the US from a corner kick.

This is absolutely disgraceful.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Wanna bet ?

BUMP.

Kai no be only Nigeria either it is a problem of all African teams. In fact so far EVERY GOAL SCORED ON AN AFRICAN TEAM HAS BEEN VIA A SET PIECE

This kind of comical defending will keep African teams behind. Even in 2014 Ghana lost to the US from a corner kick.

And the goal scored against Brazil was also from a corner.

Yes we don't defend it well, neither do we give away many goals. How many goals did we concede from set pieces against Argentina, Serbia, Poland, England, Czech, all good teams? Only 2 out of 7 goals we conceded, and the England first goal was the only direct one.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Defending might not be the issue now, its concentration! Nigerian teams dont know how to concentrate for 90 mins
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Wanna bet ?

BUMP.

Spain and Costa Rica must also be African countries abi? Yes we are poor at set pieces, but don't reduce this an African thing.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Fact is that when you have no penetration set pieces is a major way of scoring. Could setpiece defending be better? Sure.

But the issue isn't set piece defending as much as African teams not creating enough threat WHEN THEY DO SETPIECES! That's what makes the problem much more severe.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Where is Eze to help out?
Dumb coach says I will not consider him.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

metalalloy wrote:

Spain and Costa Rica must also be African countries abi? Yes we are poor at set pieces, but don't reduce this an African thing.

YES IT IS AN AFRICAN THING !!!!!

6 GOALS AGAINST AFRICA

6 CORNER KICKS

PISS POOR.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

metalalloy wrote:

Wanna bet ?

BUMP.

Did you forget Brazil? :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Cellular wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Cellular wrote:Come to think of it, what is the average conversion rate for most teams on corners and how bad are we really?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... in-soccer/
Overall, corner kicks lead to goals about 3 percent of the time.
I will let you find the stats relevant to Naija :mrgreen:
:taunt: Thanks bro.

I don't think it is that huge of a problem to be honest with you.

We have to do a better job of not giving up cheap corners.

Employ a combination of zonal marking and man marking.

The last two corner kick goals we gave up we pretty much did all the right things but the other team got to the ball. Against England, the pick worked... we have to work through those picks. And the man at the goalline has to do a better job. And Keeper has to have full command of his 6 yard box. Take heads along the way if you are going to come out. Have an element of wickedness...

Goal against the Czech Republic, we just have to clear our lines and be attentive.

The bottomline is that we gave them multiple cracks at getting their routine right.

Again, what is more worrisome was our inability to execute one decent corner kick despite our own numerous chances at it.
Thanks for your question. I doubt if we are really any worse than most teams at defending set pieces but we should attack better too with set piece play. Lets leave it for Enugu II to do the analysis. :mrgreen:

https://blog.wyscout.com/set-pieces-det ... 6-numbers/
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

I have a question for the coaches in the house, can a team really work and improve on set pieces when they themselves are not good at executing set pieces? Its not like you can call Iceland or Argentina's players to come and play the corners and FK's so you can work on defending them. So since we ourselves are poor at taking set pieces (we barely threaten from them) would we ever really be able to work on defending good set pieces in our training sessions?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Another set piece goal conceded by Africa.

AFRICA HAS NOT YET CONCEDED FROM OPEN PLAY.

And who says this is not an African problem ?

Stop being naive.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:I have a question for the coaches in the house, can a team really work and improve on set pieces when they themselves are not good at executing set pieces? Its not like you can call Iceland or Argentina's players to come and play the corners and FK's so you can work on defending them. So since we ourselves are poor at taking set pieces (we barely threaten from them) would we ever really be able to work on defending good set pieces in our training sessions?
LOL

I was thinking the exact same thing.

When Rohr told us that they were practicing defending set pieces.

I thought WE SUCK AT TAKING THEM.

So how can we really practice when you have Moses taking them, and nobody good with the head attacking them.

Abeg we need to hire a European team who failed to qualify to pepper us in training.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

In the light of Uruguay's brilliant set piece goal scored by Suarez today - I don dey shake.

There've been some brilliant set piece executions. England's Kane goal and Suarez's are up there with the best of them.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The number of set piece goals scored at this world cup has been incredible. I think the first 10 or so goals conceded by African teams at this World Cup were from set pieces.