A picture that captures Rohr's cowardice...Ighalo alone ....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: A picture that captures Rohr's cowardice...Ighalo alone

Post by txj »

Some men see the Zulu impi and all they see is a horde of disorderly natives storming the "Bastille"!

Others see Mexico running rampant at those German lines, and all they see is bravery...

You can be brave, while being stupid!
Last edited by txj on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:"We often stand in the compound of the fool and point at the ruins where a brave man used to live". Chinua Achebe

You can be brave, while stupid...txj
I guess for you, it is better to lose and be appreciated by your opponents for being 'tactically sound'? :roll: Seeking affirmation from oyibo? :roll:

Dude, there are several ways to play this game...

In fact, in multiple sports, there are several ways to play it.

We play football a certain way. What has been our albatross was our off-field organization not how we play it. It was NEVER our style of play but the ish we do outside that doesn't put us in the best position to win.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Kabalega wrote:I told you guys about this during the friendlies ...

Sometimes a goalie can help out a bit.
Enyeama was very excellent at ball distribution and would have quarterbacked a few fast moves to reach Ighalo. Essentially cutting off the slow ones in the MF without fear or favor. He would also explain why.
Uzoho is still immature and also not daring to do such a thing.
Please rewatch that game again - Uzoho tried to do that a few times but there were no runners for him, Mikel and co just trotted casually into space to receive the balls. Maybe the difference is that Vince would have berated them and Uzoho being junior could not.

But the bigger issue is our non existent attacking midfield, its not Ighalo or Uzoho, watch Kelechi start and the same thing happen if we keep the same guys and formation in the midfield.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:Some men see the Zulu impi and all they see is a horde of disorderly natives storming the "Bastille"!

Others see Mexico running rampant at those German lines, and all they see is bravery...

Cowards die a thousand times before their death.

And Waffi pipul go say, "all die na die"!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

but if Massa praises you, does that not make it all better?
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:Some men see the Zulu impi and all they see is a horde of disorderly natives storming the "Bastille"!

Cowards die a thousand times before their death.

And Waffi pipul go say, "all die na die"!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:"We often stand in the compound of the fool and point at the ruins where a brave man used to live". Chinua Achebe

You can be brave, while stupid...txj
I guess for you, it is better to lose and be appreciated by your opponents for being 'tactically sound'? :roll: Seeking affirmation from oyibo? :roll:

Dude, there are several ways to play this game...

In fact, in multiple sports, there are several ways to play it.

We play football a certain way. What has been our albatross was our off-field organization not how we play it. It was NEVER our style of play but the ish we do outside that doesn't put us in the best position to win.
You couldn't be referring to me on this subject...Go read again what SO wrote and my comments there and u will understand my position.

All I'm trying to say is that it is simplistic to just say it is about being brave. I have watched Osorio speak about his approach for nearly 2 years now...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Look at how Mexico played Germany. They positioned three of their attacking players to receive balls to launch the counter. Those 20 yard passes came from the backline often.

Meanwhile where were Nigerias three attacking players? Iwobi was playing deep to help on defense, Mikel was jogging around the center and Moses was doing his diving practice. The backline were passing the ball among themselves as if they had all the time in the world. The most disjointed attack I have ever seen.

One thing is for sure Mikel needs to be benched and replaced in AM.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

kali wrote:The backline were passing the ball among themselves as if they had all the time in the world.
They're not confident enough to move the ball quickly into midfield so often take the safe option of passing among themselves.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

nanijoe wrote:Well one other thing I have learned is that Oyibo will "talk down" your strengths so you can compete on their own terms..

"Serena only knows how to play with power"

"The Africans don't play with any set shape or formation"

Once you listen to them..Opari

See how that works?
oloye wrote:
nanijoe wrote:soo what did you like so much about the organization you saw on Saturday? do we always have to meet some one eles's definition of how to do something right?
funny enough both the Croatians and Argentina pretty much came out to say they were worried about our so called disorganization
oloye wrote:If you are an oyinbo coach and you are given an African team to coach and you see the mentality of such around dangerous areas , your first task will be to set them up in conservative way. The lack of organisation is mind boggling. But these are the things that thrill African fans.

I remember when I was doing my coaching course when I first came to UK shortly after quitting the game. We were having these 6 aside games to teach tactics and so on. O received the ball in a defensive area and this guy came charging at me, I simply nutmegged him. The coach stopped the game right there and told me off saying it was not necessary....I simply looked at him wondering why he was unable to admire my soki skill. But I learnt a lesson one of the follies in our attitude towards the game.
Yes now see how much our disorganisation is being preyed upon. My brother if oyinbo praise you,look yourself well again...those guys are cunny and never speak the truth. The biggest lesson I have learnt in Europe is double talk.
Word!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

When you watch the game again, check out how many times Iwobi was caught defending.

He probably spent most of the match helping out in defense.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

I could have written this piece myself. Captured my thoughts. Can't say enough how folks ridiculed Damunk when he was mentioning this fact about our games.

Super Eagles: The Writings On The Wall
Posted By: soccerasson: June 18, 2018In: The Dugout

The signs were ominous but we choose to ignore as we so often do, blinded by passion and deep patriotism, choosing instead to believe that miracles would happen.

Once again . . .they did not and we face reality stark in the face.

The Super Eagles loss to Croatia is not a rude awakening. On the contrary, we should have seen it coming. Correction, we did see it coming

After comfortably seeing out the qualifiers, the warm up games prior to the World Cup proper were truly cause for genuine concern (asides the victory over Argentina)

It wasn’t just that we were losing, it was the manner in which we were losing, looking in many of those games like a team without ideas or direction

Against Poland even though we eventually ran away 1-0 winners over a team which included Robert Lewandowsky in their own backyard, one thing became obvious : The Eagles were having challenges with goal scoring.

We did not register a single shot on target against the Poles and our goal came from a contentious penalty. We then faced Serbia and again we had challenges scoring, totally outclassed by the Serbs in a 2-0 defeat

The game against England provided more insights yet, as we made an average England side look like world champions only putting up a bit of a fight after we were 2 goals down and switched formation. We were poor in midfield, we were dreadful defending set pieces and we were slow out of the blocks.

Against the Czechs in our final warm up game our deficiencies in creating chances and in goal scoring were brought to the fore again as we fell 1-0 looking unimaginative and bereft of ideas

More frightening was that these games were seemingly suggesting a slow tactical response from coach Gernot Rohr as it always took long for him to effect changes that were needed with his tactical responses almost coming too late most times

The truth was bare before us: with Rohr in charge we may have excelled against continental opposition but on the International stage we have been poor and the pre world cup warm up games exposed this.

Pundits & critics alike highlighted these flaws, analyzed and proffered solutions and we all looked on hoping that somehow our German tactician could within a couple of days fix our obvious deficiencies . . . .we hoped for too much.

Now those deficiencies are back to haunt us in the world cup proper. Our performance was downright dreadful. Like one major headline wrote “The Croatians strolled past us to victory . . . Uncontested”

We were a team bereft of ideas and creativity often looking lost with the ball and unsure of how best to proceed, a team once revered for its attacking prowess could only manage 2 shots on target

None of our concerns have been fixed and all our flaws have come back to haunt us. Rohr is still slow in response, Iwobi is still wasted on the wings, Mikel should be benched or deployed deeper, the team is still unable to come out of the blocks firing, the uninspired tepidness still exists, the team still cannot score or get adequate shots on targets . . . .it’s all the same nothing has changed

All this despite one of our best ever preparations , with a federation that has come to the table and done all it should do . . . .there is frankly nowhere else to lay the blame than at the feet of the workman in charge of the team and the way he chooses to employ his tools

Qualifying from this group is not impossible yet, maybe our Miracle could still happen otherwise . . . the way we are now, we are staring not just at an embarrassing early return home, but a World Cup that could go down as our worst ever!
http://www.soccerassembly.com/super-eag ... ings-wall/
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Siddonlook11 wrote:
Kabalega wrote:I told you guys about this during the friendlies ...

Sometimes a goalie can help out a bit.
Enyeama was very excellent at ball distribution and would have quarterbacked a few fast moves to reach Ighalo. Essentially cutting off the slow ones in the MF without fear or favor. He would also explain why.
Uzoho is still immature and also not daring to do such a thing.
Please rewatch that game again - Uzoho tried to do that a few times but there were no runners for him, Mikel and co just trotted casually into space to receive the balls. Maybe the difference is that Vince would have berated them and Uzoho being junior could not.

But the bigger issue is our non existent attacking midfield, its not Ighalo or Uzoho, watch Kelechi start and the same thing happen if we keep the same guys and formation in the midfield.
Come on now, that is one of Uzoho weaknesses even his GKs and clearances barely cross half field. It’s something he can definitely improve on.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Sorry but we have cut Ighalo too much slack.

The guy is LAZY end of. He just wastes his time posting up and wrestling the defenders.

We have the stats. This is the first worldcup with absolute complete coverage of all the stats. Guess who clocked the lowest top speed of all our players ?

Yes you guessed it , Ighalo.

How often did he drop back to create space for himself and bring others into play. That's usually what top strikers do when they are being marked out.

How much ground did Ighalo cover ?

No excuse, he is a lazy striker waiting for a sitter to just pop out of the heavens, until then he is happy wrestling and grappling with the opposition.

But run, unless it's an obvious reason too. Hell Na. Unimaginative.
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

cic old boy wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote: Ighalo is part of the problem. He's never been prolific for Nigeria.
How many chances does he get and miss? That is the real question. The problem is that we don't create chances b/c our coach is too conservative.
Ighalo is part of the problem. He does not move to create openings, does not run into space, off the ball movement is pretty much zero... instead he wants the ball played to his feet and he is easily crowded out. He is built but easily goes down...why have a six pack then?

Ultimately, it's on the coach and you need to build a system that leverages the strengths of the players. If Ighalo must play, then he needs a mobile partner...otherwise, Ighalo will still struggle to find the opening in your favorite ashawo joint.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I have read through the first three pages of this forum.

Seems like Ighalo is the first person they blame for the lack of goals.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Why can’t The Coach select the same team that played against Argentina in the 2nd half?
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

oloye wrote:If you are an oyinbo coach and you are given an African team to coach and you see the mentality of such around dangerous areas , your first task will be to set them up in conservative way. The lack of organisation is mind boggling. But these are the things that thrill African fans.

I remember when I was doing my coaching course when I first came to UK shortly after quitting the game. We were having these 6 aside games to teach tactics and so on. O received the ball in a defensive area and this guy came charging at me, I simply nutmegged him. The coach stopped the game right there and told me off saying it was not necessary....I simply looked at him wondering why he was unable to admire my soki skill. But I learnt a lesson one of the follies in our attitude towards the game.
Thanks for NOTHING Bros! We don't want English Safety-First-Middle-and-Last football...

There's a GOOD reason that English coaches do not coach the best teams in the English PL (and pretty soon, they might not coach any EPL teams at all). Franz Backenbeur (and I realize Oloye is no Kaiser) dribbled in his own half, as did the entire slew of the Dutch 1974 and 1978 "total football" defenders. Brazilians (and of course latterly Spainards) are all comfortable playing the ball (and with the ball) in their own half of the field. Frankly, I am developing the thesis that the reason that our teams are becoming poorer and poorer (and increasingly lacking in any creativity) is that our players are coming to Old Europe earlier and earlier, and accordingly have all creativity and invention weaned off them by the sorts of "coaches" that was in charge of your UK coaching course. Olodumare helps us!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Who on earth is going help him when Mikel is so slow and Iwobi is played out of position before he’s subbed off?
If you are going to play one up front you would at least use an attacking midfielder that can keep up with the pace of the game (Mikel obviously can’t).
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

maceo4 wrote:
Come on now, that is one of Uzoho weaknesses even his GKs and clearances barely cross half field. It’s something he can definitely improve on.
He is yet to learn the skills of transition defend to attack... This could be because he is new to the team and he has not built enough match chemistry with the attacking players.

His goal kicks are very poor. When he takes a goal kick, the ball hardly crosses the half way line, goes to the opposition or we find ourselves defending again. It's lack of experience.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Riche007 wrote: Ighalo is part of the problem. He does not move to create openings, does not run into space, off the ball movement is pretty much zero... instead he wants the ball played to his feet and he is easily crowded out. He is built but easily goes down...why have a six pack then?

Ultimately, it's on the coach and you need to build a system that leverages the strengths of the players. If Ighalo must play, then he needs a mobile partner...otherwise, Ighalo will still struggle to find the opening in your favorite ashawo joint.
Ighalo is our best striker. No doubt. He is no Luis Suarez. He is what he is. Even if you play with one upfront, he needs runners from midfield to support play. We all know that Mikel and running don't go together.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

[/video]

This is a montage of our finest global football success. The coach in question is Johannes Bonfrere who took over from Clemence Westerhof and had lived in Nigeria studying Nigerian football in depth for 7 years up till this period.

This thread is about the confirmation of Gernot Rohr's cowardice by leaving Odion Ighalo upfront. Some here on CE have called Ighalo useless. Now, just go through all the goals in this video montage and count the NUMBER OF EAGLES PLAYERS IN THE OPPOSITION BOX WHEN THE GOAL IS SCORED. You will find that in a lot of cases, there were 5 players, 4 players, 3 players IN THE OPPOSITION BOX 18. This is our DNA. We attack. If you spend 90mins playing with a man isolated upfront, Nigeria will NEVER win anything. I remember when we were chasing our equaliser against Brazil in Atlanta, BoJo directed everybody forward leaving Taribo and Okechukwu alone at the back. On the pitch, Brazil still had Rivaldo, the real Ronaldo and Bebeto. BoJo did not give a damn.

Rohr must learn this and address his fear, otherwise this WC will end up with 3 losses!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

The highlighted is the absolute truth..Also the academies are working hard to produce players that European clubs want to buy ie defensive midfielders

24 years ago, Thompson Oliha was almost guaranteed to start every SE game because we had few options in the defensive midfield (Not taking anything away from Oliha)..We had so many options on offense that no one even remebers names like Dotun Alatishe or Friday Ekpo (the press wanted to lynch Westerhoff for not including Ekpo in one of his teams)

Today we have Mikel, Ndidi, Onazi, Etebo, Ogu..all solid players, but none as creative as even Ben Iroha who played in defense or even Oliseh who played their same position
Gotti wrote:

Thanks for NOTHING Bros! We don't want English Safety-First-Middle-and-Last football...

There's a GOOD reason that English coaches do not coach the best teams in the English PL (and pretty soon, they might not coach any EPL teams at all). Franz Backenbeur (and I realize Oloye is no Kaiser) dribbled in his own half, as did the entire slew of the Dutch 1974 and 1978 "total football" defenders. Brazilians (and of course latterly Spainards) are all comfortable playing the ball (and with the ball) in their own half of the field. Frankly, I am developing the thesis that the reason that our teams are becoming poorer and poorer (and increasingly lacking in any creativity) is that our players are coming to Old Europe earlier and earlier, and accordingly have all creativity and invention weaned off them by the sorts of "coaches" that was in charge of your UK coaching course. Olodumare helps us!