Effect of VAR System on football history

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Effect of VAR System on football history

Post by theYemster »

Imagine if we had always had this VAR system, a lot of past matches would've likely ended differently. These come to mind. I'm sure they're more.

1988 AFCON final, coulda beaten Cameroon if Henry Nwosu's goal stood and Roger Miller's dive not rewarded as a PK.

2000 AFCON final, coulda beaten Cameroon if Ikpeba's PK was allowed.

I'm gonna say the penalty awarded to Tunisia against Nigeria in the 2004 AFCON semi final.

France v Nigeria 2014 WCR16, France could've had Matuidi and Giroud sent off. And Emenike's goal could've been allowed.

Nigeria v Italy, USA 94, Maldini could've been sent off for killing Yekini down; but then again Zola worksheet not been sent off either so equation balanced.

Mexico 86 Quarter final. Maradona's hand of God goal would've been erased and maybe he doesn't score that best ever world cup goal.

England 66 World Cup final, perhaps Geoff Hurst's goal might've been disallowed and maybe England loses.

Spurs v Manure, the goal that never was game.

Finally, all the millions of dodgy penalty calls given to home teams in the Nigerian domestic league lol.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Effect of VAR System on football history

Post by jette1 »

var should be outlawed
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The VAR is doing a good job. For me there are two areas of concern though: a) when to request a review, and b) balancing referee's discretionary power.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

theYemster wrote:Imagine if we had always had this VAR system, a lot of past matches would've likely ended differently. These come to mind. I'm sure they're more.

1988 AFCON final, coulda beaten Cameroon if Henry Nwosu's goal stood and Roger Miller's dive not rewarded as a PK.

I'm gonna say the penalty awarded to Tunisia against Nigeria in the 2004 AFCON semi final.

France v Nigeria 2014 WCR16, France could've had Matuidi and Giroud sent off. And Emenike's goal could've been allowed.

Nigeria v Italy, USA 94, Maldini could've been sent off for killing Yekini down; but then again Zola worksheet not been sent off either so equation balanced.

Mexico 86 Quarter final. Maradona's hand of God goal would've been erased and maybe he doesn't score that best ever world cup goal.

England 66 World Cup final, perhaps Geoff Hurst's goal might've been disallowed and maybe England loses.

Finally, all the millions of dodgy penalty calls given to home teams in the Nigerian domestic league lol.
Point of correction. Ikpeba's goal would have level the scores with Cameroon. There is no guarantee we would have won, eventually..
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

How could one miss the very incident that led to VAR by the conservative IFAB?

Lampard's missed goal in SA 2010.

VAR is supposedly limited to goal scoring and red card incidents.
This is better than what we saw during the Confederations Cup.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:The VAR is doing a good job. For me there are two areas of concern though: a) when to request a review, and b) balancing referee's discretionary power.
My understanding is that the officials in the booth determine if/when a review is necessary not the teams.

About the discretionary powers, I think the objective of the VAR system is to help the referee reconsider his decision, not used to overrule it.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

1naija wrote:
theYemster wrote:Imagine if we had always had this VAR system, a lot of past matches would've likely ended differently. These come to mind. I'm sure they're more.

Point of correction. Ikpeba's goal would have level the scores with Cameroon. There is no guarantee we would have won, eventually..
Oh ok thanks.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Kabalega wrote:How could one miss the very incident that led to VAR by the conservative IFAB?

Lampard's missed goal in SA 2010.

VAR is supposedly limited to goal scoring and red card incidents.
This is better than what we saw during the Confederations Cup.
Yes just for potentially game altering decisions, and I think it should remain that way. Can't have it for every ticky tacky call else the game will last five hours.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Enugu II wrote:The VAR is doing a good job. For me there are two areas of concern though: a) when to request a review, and b) balancing referee's discretionary power.
Oga, football might either take the Rugby union or cricket approach to VAR. The rugby union approach I think is better.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

Man, take a look at the Iran goal against Spain, that was overruled by the VAR. Pure hypocrisy in the media.

For example, this one decides to show the wrong picture. The show him "offside" when the ball lands, not when the free kick was played! :rotf:

Same here...

It is disgraceful. Here is the video. You can see at 1:15 that it is a completely differently picture, nowhere near the 6 yard line. (And you can see at 1:02 that nobody gets a touch before the ball drops.)

The linesman does not flag it.

The linesman flagged 9 seconds later, at 1:24 after Iran scored.

This was described in the Sun as: "But their joy was cut short by an eagle-eyed linesman who had spotted Ezatolahi straying offside in the build-up."

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Hypocrisy makes a mockery of everything. Technology doesn't always prevent it. The media is spinning it left and right.

It is touch and go whether the mid-fielder was offside when the kick was actually taken. The fact that the media dare not show the correct picture, but feel the need to spin it, tells the whole story.

[/video]
There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done..

https://voca.ro/1dk47QJEvGY2
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

sinequanon wrote: It is disgraceful. Here is the video. You can see at 1:15 that it is a completely differently picture, nowhere near the 6 yard line. (And you can see at 1:02 that nobody gets a touch before the ball drops.
...It is touch and go whether the mid-fielder was offside when the kick was actually taken.
Oga, it was a correct decision
The Iranian that scored the goal, #6, was NOT offside when the kick was taken.
However, he was offside when his player (#20) headed the ball to him
It is very clear from the video

VAR worked very well
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

Rawlings wrote:
sinequanon wrote: It is disgraceful. Here is the video. You can see at 1:15 that it is a completely differently picture, nowhere near the 6 yard line. (And you can see at 1:02 that nobody gets a touch before the ball drops.
...It is touch and go whether the mid-fielder was offside when the kick was actually taken.
Oga, it was a correct decision
The Iranian that scored the goal, #6, was NOT offside when the kick was taken.
However, he was offside when his player (#20) headed the ball to him
It is very clear from the video

VAR worked very well
OK, that would partly explain the pictures that were used.

I think he headed at the ball and missed. The ball seemed to go in front of the player in front of him (who may have got a touch).

What I find suspicious is when people use the word "clear", when it isn't clear.

If the issue was about who got a touch before the midfielder scored, then that would be mentioned ABSOLUTELY everywhere. DID no. 20 get a touch, would be the question?

All I can find are vague, evasive references to the guy being offside in the "build-up" to the goal.

sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

People are just making it up as they go along, and the media has fudged it, because there is nothing clear in the dodgy decision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... after_var/
Belgium
Gordondel
7 points
·
20 hours ago
Can you explain the decision to me though? The ball comes off a Spanish player, I thought that couldn’t be offside, what am I misunderstanding?

Save

Real Madrid
HumongousChipmunk
26 points
·
20 hours ago
I think that the ball came off the head of #20 of Iran and then to Ezatolahi, who was already offside by then.

Save

Tottenham Hotspur
JeannotVD
8 points
·
19 hours ago
Handball too, which was the original complaint by many Spanish players.

Save

PremiumJapaneseGreen
0 points
·
18 hours ago
which was the original complaint by many Spanish

It doesn't seem like you can make it out from this angle that the player came off #20s head.

Everyone seems to be saying this is a clear cut offside, but I don't think that viewing angle allows us to see if it does. Granted, I'm sure the refs got to see a different angle and make their decision based on that, I just wish they would show us that angle.

Save

NEC
helemaalnicks
16 points
·
20 hours ago
First of all, both the 6 and the 19 were offside on the initial free kick, and they both touched it.

Also, I think the ball came off an Iran player, and 6 was waaaay offside at that point.

Save

England
cake_flattener1
8 points
·
19 hours ago
I think they were just onside on the initial free kick, but it doesn't matter because as you say, the no. 6 was way offside for the knock-on.

Save

United States
bduddy
2 points
·
20 hours ago
It hits Iran's #19 first.

Save

Houston Dynamo
pipsdontsqueak
4 points
·
20 hours ago
Iranian player was offside when the ball was kicked by the man taking the free kick.

Save

Belgium
Gordondel
6 points
·
20 hours ago
But that wasn’t the last touch though, how many touches are we supposed to take into account?

Save

Borussia Dortmund
lawrencecgn
8 points
·
20 hours ago
The touch in between was also by an Iranian player and was still offside. Also, it has to be a new game situation for passive active no longer becoming active once the ball is received i.e. with a controlled pass

Save

Eidolones
8 points
·
20 hours ago
It counts from the last "intentional" touch, which in this case was the down header by the Iranian player, and he was offside when that header was made. Deflections do not count even if it's off a Spanish player. If a Spanish player intentionally back pass though, you're allowed to intercept that even if you're on an offside position.

Save

Belgium
Gordondel
2 points
·
20 hours ago
Thank you! Got it.

Save

Arsenal
SomeOtherWilliam
1 point
·
20 hours ago
Does he interfere with play? I genuinely couldn't see it live or on reply

Save

Houston Dynamo
pipsdontsqueak
1 point
·
20 hours ago
Unclear, but it seems like he ran just beyond the Spanish defender as the ball was kicked.

Save

Uruguay
TheBlackHandOfDog
2 points
·
20 hours ago
He was offside when the original ball was put through.

Save

iushciuweiush
1 point
·
18 hours ago

Ball came off the head/hand of #20 at this point.

Save

Belgium
Gordondel
1 point
·
18 hours ago
Which isn't the last touch and that's why I was confused, I got my answer from someone else, letting me know that deflections don't count.

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Hi, EII. Do you think the VAR protocol will eventually lead to all goals being reviewed as in Rugby? or a challenge system as in Cricket, Tennis?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote:
Hi, EII. Do you think the VAR protocol will eventually lead to all goals being reviewed as in Rugby? or a challenge system as in Cricket, Tennis?
folem,

TBH, yes. I hope it goes that way. The most frustrating to me is the fact that the coaches are not allowed to call for a review which allows officials too much power. What is FIFA afraid of in allowing the teams a limited number of challenges to a refereeing call? Right now, the match officials continues to retain much of the power and can disregard the VAR or so it seems.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:
folem wrote:
folem,

TBH, yes. I hope it goes that way. The most frustrating to me is the fact that the coaches are not allowed to call for a review which allows officials too much power. What is FIFA afraid of in allowing the teams a limited number of challenges to a refereeing call? Right now, the match officials continues to retain much of the power and can disregard the VAR or so it seems.
If it goes all the way, who should have the power to challenge between the captain and the coach?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Not sure why VAR was wasn’t used in the Morocco game when a blatant foul by Pepe in the Moroccan attacker’s wasn’t caked.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

YUJAM wrote:Not sure why VAR was wasn’t used in the Morocco game when a blatant foul by Pepe in the Moroccan attacker’s wasn’t caked.
FIFA has clear rules/guidelines on WHEN VAR can be used
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
folem wrote:
folem,

If it goes all the way, who should have the power to challenge between the captain and the coach?
For me it should be the coach in contact either VAR official. That to me will help have the system operate optimally.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:
folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
folem wrote:
folem,

For me it should be the coach in contact either VAR official. That to me will help have the system operate optimally.
I think the captain can do it by contacting the referee who is in charge of the game to check with the VAR officials. What other sport uses the coach to initiate video challenges?
Last edited by folem on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

This VAR will make diving players obsolete.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Proven.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
folem wrote:
folem,

I think the captain can do it by contacting the referee who is in charge of the game to check with the VAR officials. What other sport uses the coach to initiate video challenges?
Hi EII, from what we have seen so far, it seems the players are all now influencing the referee to check VAR on all controversial decisions that the referee doesn't give in their favor and showing dissent in many cases. Isn't it obvious now, that the VAR protocol has to be amended to give only the captain the ability to challenge the referee and within a time limit for the incident and how many times it can be done per half and if successful with a challenge can as well have the option to retain one more challenge within the period.