Is this Mikel's or Messi's last World Cup game?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is this Mikel's or Messi's last World Cup game?

Post by Kabalega »

Idowu said, ""It is our goal to make tomorrow's game, Messi's last game for Argentina"

I'm sure the Argentines are plotting to make this Mikel's last World Cup game.

I get the sense that Messi can come back in 4 years even though he retired earlier and came back.
Mikel would only do so as a coach or water carrier.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is this Mikel's or Messi's last World Cup game?

Post by cchinukw »

Mikel still has one more world cup left in him.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Injury permitting, he’ll be there but very different to now, will there be any pace life?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Coach wrote:Injury permitting, he’ll be there but very different to now, will there be any pace life?
Who Mikel or Messi?

Messi can still play in the WC, it is a question of if he wants to. Somehow I doubt Messi will want to play in the WC again....but who knows, these guys decide these things unpredictably.

But I have a feeling that Both Cristiano and Messi will retire from Club and International football before they are done. Realistically Messi could play at a high level for another 4-6 years. But will he want to?

Cristiano has also vocalized that he has plans besides football, but he has around 4 more very good years in him, but will he want to?

These guys are performing at such a high level that people forget that players are NOT supposed to be as consistent as they are. They will retire early, not because they need to, but to preserve their mystique, and also to try other endeavours.

but in terms of ability, heck Messi could even play in the 2026 WC. A guy of his ability to play at 39? Not really a stretch of the imagination. He simply will decide not to.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Tbite wrote:
Coach wrote:Injury permitting, he’ll be there but very different to now, will there be any pace life?
Who Mikel or Messi?

Messi can still play in the WC, it is a question of if he wants to. Somehow I doubt Messi will want to play in the WC again....but who knows, these guys decide these things unpredictably.

But I have a feeling that Both Cristiano and Messi will retire from Club and International football before they are done. Realistically Messi could play at a high level for another 4-6 years. But will he want to?

Cristiano has also vocalized that he has plans besides football, but he has around 4 more very good years in him, but will he want to?

These guys are performing at such a high level that people forget that players are NOT supposed to be as consistent as they are. They will retire early, not because they need to, but to preserve their mystique, and also to try other endeavours.

but in terms of ability, heck Messi could even play in the 2026 WC. A guy of his ability to play at 39? Not really a stretch of the imagination. He simply will decide not to.
I too believe that Messi can play in 2026 but he probably will not be interested.
However, I don't see Messi quitting club footie until his body literally quits on him. He loves the game so much that he would probably be lost without playing.

Mikel on the other hand has all signs indicating that this is his last WC so he had better captain the team to go as far as they can because this is his last rodeo. :D
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

cchinukw wrote:Mikel still has one more world cup left in him.
:huh: At 35? It’s not easy o.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I think this is the last World Cup for both Messi and Mikel. For multiple reasons, I think they will both retire before the next World Cup or so.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Argentina should not call Messi if he failed this world.I mean Argentina with Messi has won nothing,Sweden today is better without Ibra in the team.Look their WCQ group then look how they hold Germany but poor coaching letting them down.Messi should retired from Argentina or Argentina can disgrace him not call him even when available.Dybala and others can carry the team forward.
I mean this is Argentina not some backward country like Iran or Uganda in football.