World Cup of set pieces

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet
World Cup of set pieces

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

Almost every games at this world cup have been won by set pieces. How come only the African coaches didn't get the memo? Every other team had looked really dangerous at set pieces but the African team. very sad. :sad:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: World Cup of set pieces

Post by Enugu II »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:Almost every games at this world cup have been won by set pieces. How come only the African coaches didn't get the memo? Every other team had looked really dangerous at set pieces but the African team. very sad. :sad:

Bros, that is not accurate based on my recollection i.e. that African teams have been poor on this. I remain open to compelling data, to be certain. African teams have also scored via set pieces. Did you work out data indicating that they were far outscored by set pieces. From my view (I did not work out stats), the African teams did score from such opportunities as well. It would be great if someone can go through youtube highlights to help us better understand this.

I also believe (no stats) that a greater % of goals have come via set pieces and against teams of all kinds -- big and small.

The other day, I thought the lower ranked teams were cheated by match officials who were only forced to check the Var to make incorrect calls. I collected the data and while this was the case for lower ranked teams, the difference was not remarkable compared to higher ranked teams.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

Enugu II wrote:
achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:Almost every games at this world cup have been won by set pieces. How come only the African coaches didn't get the memo? Every other team had looked really dangerous at set pieces but the African team. very sad. :sad:

Bros, that is not accurate based on my recollection i.e. that African teams have been poor on this. I remain open to compelling data, to be certain. African teams have also scored via set pieces. Did you work out data indicating that they were far outscored by set pieces. From my view (I did not work out stats), the African teams did score from such opportunities as well. It would be great if someone can go through youtube highlights to help us better understand this.

I also believe (no stats) that a greater % of goals have come via set pieces and against teams of all kinds -- big and small.

The other day, I thought the lower ranked teams were cheated by match officials who were only forced to check the Var to make incorrect calls. I collected the data and while this was the case for lower ranked teams, the difference was not remarkable compared to higher ranked teams.
Regarding African teams, most of them missed opportunities that other teams capitalize on via set pieces. The clearly appear clueless on set pieces especially Nigeria. Our coach embarrassingly look like he is out of his dept. I have taken the pain to look at some of the highlights...aarrrghhh!
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...because no one is watching the big boys when they come up. Even our own big boy, Ekong or Balogun scored off of a set piece recently :thumbs:
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Regarding African teams, most of them missed opportunities that other teams capitalize on via set pieces. The clearly appear clueless on set pieces especially Nigeria. Our coach embarrassingly look like he is out of his dept. I have taken the pain to look at some of the highlights...aarrrghhh!
Penalties are set pieces. We had one, we scored it.
Last edited by chendosplastic on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Enugu II wrote: Bros, that is not accurate based on my recollection i.e. that African teams have been poor on this. I remain open to compelling data, to be certain. African teams have also scored via set pieces. Did you work out data indicating that they were far outscored by set pieces. From my view (I did not work out stats), the African teams did score from such opportunities as well. It would be great if someone can go through youtube highlights to help us better understand this.

The problem is that most all of the African teams were done over by set pieces. Also the fact that we are not taking our chances, even worse is that we aren't even hitting the target with our set pieces. When is the last time Victor Moses got a shot on target with any of his free kicks? Or how many of his corners in the box met a player that had a free header? If you can't do that and don't know how to properly mark opposing players in the box we won't win.

We need to improve on this significantly and we have NO EXCUSES.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

TheHitman47 wrote:
Enugu II wrote: Bros, that is not accurate based on my recollection i.e. that African teams have been poor on this. I remain open to compelling data, to be certain. African teams have also scored via set pieces. Did you work out data indicating that they were far outscored by set pieces. From my view (I did not work out stats), the African teams did score from such opportunities as well. It would be great if someone can go through youtube highlights to help us better understand this.

The problem is that most all of the African teams were done over by set pieces. Also the fact that we are not taking our chances, even worse is that we aren't even hitting the target with our set pieces. When is the last time Victor Moses got a shot on target with any of his free kicks? Or how many of his corners in the box met a player that had a free header? If you can't do that and don't know how to properly mark opposing players in the box we won't win.

We need to improve on this significantly and we have NO EXCUSES.
Another reason we need to fasttrack Kelechi Nwakali.
In the past Nigeria really benefitted from having Taye Taiwo or for a short period Lukman Haruna.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

It’s been like that for a while buddy,when Africans are firing and hiring journey men it’s highly unlikely that they’ll get time to start playing like the top 10 Nations.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI