WC SEMI-FINAL: FRANCE VS BELGIUM ( 1-0) FT UMTITI

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WC SEMI-FINAL: FRANCE VS BELGIUM ( 1-0) FT UMTITI

Post by marko »

France has the best midfield at the world cup
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Heliopolis wrote:Margin of error between teams of this calibre are so narrow that all it takes is one mistake or lucky bounce to win a game. Belgium barely beat Brazil and France barely beat Belgium. I wasn't a fan of Martinez's decisions in the previous two matches but I'm not sure what else he could've done differently in this game. France sat back after the goal and there was no room for the their world class attackers to operate. KDB had an awful game and Lukaku got no service. Nonetheless, good showing for Belgium. They know they can compete with the big boys and will be back in Euro 20 and WC 22.
This is what I was telling my dad on the phone, Brazil's ouster is not like 2014.

Another roll of the dice and I could easily see Brazil winning this WC.

Very very small margins. I would not say that France stands convincingly above either Brazil or Belgium.

And I do not say so because of the scoreline, but having watched the matches. France CAN be heads and shoulders above other teams in this WC, but as of now they are not. I think it was Gab Marcotti who said that if France wins the WC, it will not be because they were unquestionable, but rather a question of "In spite of"

This French side is interesting and I like them, but they are not a dominant side. Not simply because of how they cede possession, but they are not as defensively sound as you might expect. This game would ordinarily have been a high scoring affair, but both 9s were pathetic. Lukaku does not know how to read the ball, and Giroud's composure while shooting has been abysmal.

All in all, I think the side that wins this World Cup will have deserved it, but they will not rank among one of the all time WC winning teams! All of the semi finalists should be just a little bit better IMO
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Mbappe! How come a big country like Naija and its diaspora, does not produce players like Mbappe?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Viva, viva, viva les bleus! Viva!
Viva
:thumbs:

I'm actually think France aren't playing at their best and with the right selection and substitutions this team would be devastating. I mean take out Giroud and sub Griezman when he is stinking up the joint and this team is lethal. I think France have got to the final inspite of Deschamps :boo:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Heliopolis wrote:Btw, I haven't been able to closely watch this French team so I ask: what do you guys think makes them special? I find them very puzzling to assess. I can point to the strengths of previous WC winners and finalists but am having trouble doing so with this team. Upfront, Giroud is a minus one and offers nothing, Griezmann has disappointed and essentially just been a set piece taker, while Mbappe has had one standout showing (vs Argentina). Their midfield is probably the best in this WC and their defense has been sturdy except for the Argentina game. I think they'll go down as one of the more balanced sides we've seen in recent WCs but one that doesn't have the flare you'd expect from a WC finalist/champion. The scary thing is they've made it this far with relative ease and will have the same core over the next 4-8 years.
They are an excellent side and complement each other perfectly. Even Giroud has had his moments and is a perfect foil for Mbappe and Greizman.

They are better than the Italian side that won in 2006, more exciting than the Spanish side in 2010 and a tad below the German side in 2014. They are not the best WC side I have ever seen...that goes to the Argentine side in 1986, but put it this way, I'd back them to beat the last three World cup winners.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

airwolex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Btw, I haven't been able to closely watch this French team so I ask: what do you guys think makes them special? I find them very puzzling to assess. I can point to the strengths of previous WC winners and finalists but am having trouble doing so with this team. Upfront, Giroud is a minus one and offers nothing, Griezmann has disappointed and essentially just been a set piece taker, while Mbappe has had one standout showing (vs Argentina). Their midfield is probably the best in this WC and their defense has been sturdy except for the Argentina game. I think they'll go down as one of the more balanced sides we've seen in recent WCs but one that doesn't have the flare you'd expect from a WC finalist/champion. The scary thing is they've made it this far with relative ease and will have the same core over the next 4-8 years.
They are an excellent side and complement each other perfectly. Even Giroud has had his moments and is a perfect foil for Mbappe and Greizman.

They are better than the Italian side that won in 2006, more exciting than the Spanish side in 2010 and a tad below the German side in 2014. They are not the best WC side I have ever seen...that goes to the Argentine side in 1986, but put it this way, I'd back them to beat the last three World cup winners.
Precisely. I think France are capable of a lot more. They have a few more gears to reach
for. But, there is no need. They can win with flair and panache like they did against
Argentina. They can also play the margins and eke it out like they did with Belgium.
That is what makes them special. They play to win.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

I wish martial was in the squad, he would have wrecked havoc on the Belgians
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

marko wrote:I wish martial was in the squad, he would have wrecked havoc on the Belgians
He wouldn't have played if he made the squad, even Dembele didn't get a chance, this was a game for hard working players not the likes of Martial...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WC SEMI-FINAL: FRANCE VS BELGIUM ( 1-0) 2H

Post by ohsee »

kajifu wrote:
ohsee wrote:
green4life wrote:
balo wrote:France had 18 shots with 4 on target.
Belgium despite all the domination, has 9 shots, 3 on target.
Kante is a proper shield. :clap:
Simply the best DM in the world. Anybody who mentions Busquets again, give the person a slap for me.
Uncle how will you rate him in football?Is he the best 3 DM to play them game?
Uncle Fifa should test him,he might be on drugs
kajifu my man, I rate him number one. Simply the best, the GOAT of DMs. No be drugs, na lungs of steel. Bobo can run all day. 75 percent of the earth is covered by water; the rest is covered by Ngolo Kante. :thumbs:
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Huh?? What?? Griezmann has disappointed? Mbappe only has one standout showing? You do realize that Giroud, Mbappe, and Griezzy account for 85% of France's offense right?

Anyway, I'm not sure about the criteria a WC finalist/champion supposed to have. Italy has never been entertaining but they have won the WC four times and been to finals many times. Besides, only Japan had anything close to "flare" this WC. Not England, not Croatia, not Brazil, not Argentina etc.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

France in another final and people are complaining

Marko