ABEG emergency meeting - Crisis Averted

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ABEG emergency meeting - Crisis Averted

Post by Coach »

6 shots on goal and all the way to a semi-final decided by extra time. Ighalo had six or so chances against Argentina alone and is still standing with his arm raised asking for handball. It is what it is.

@Ara, as for England being loathed by the home nations, who of those nations voluntarily joined the United Kingdom? It’s deeper than Ian Wright’s blind patriotism.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

cic old boy wrote:Fellow ABEGers, yesterday was an emotional rollercoaster. I was sooo weak when England scored early. Then they started their typical gra-gra and Croatia kept misplacing passes. I was cussing, kicking every ball, muttering under my breath, etc. My wife said one day she will video me watching a match like this and put it on YouTube.

At a point, I started looking resigned to England fluking their way into the final. Then Croatia equalised. But when they hit the post and couldn’t score from the rebound, I started thinking it was going to be one of those days. When Pickford saved Mandzukic’s flick from point-blank range, I had this sinking feeling that England were going to ride their luck into the final.

The tension for me was unbearable and I was even blasting Croatian players for not burying England. Rebic missed a couple of sitters. And I wanted to kill Rakitic when he broke down the left and dawdled with the ball instead of squaring to Modric, who was free.

Then Mandzukic buried his chance. But there was still like 10mins left. I still feared an England comeback. I kept thinking: look how they got such an easy group, how all the big boys were knocked out, how the other side of the draw had Brazil, Belgium, Uruguay, France, etc and they were knocking each other out. Maybe England have their name on the WC. When Rashford took the FK in the last min of extra time, I thought: “Here comes the dagger through my heart”.

The tension was too much oooh! To hate England like this is not good for the heart. But the joy at the final whistle made it all worthwhile.
My exact sentiments. To limit the tension I did a form of reverse psychotherapy on myself. I accepted first that England might just fluke their way to the cup. From that position it was easy for me to put the heat of the teams they were playing.... Rakitic and Rebic were are the receiving end of my ire.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I won't lie sha the sight of a broken and weeping Rashford touched my heart. The poor boy simply fell apart. I hope my boy recovers with the understanding that making it to the semi is not a small achievement.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

oloye wrote:I won't lie sha the sight of a broken and weeping Rashford touched my heart. The poor boy simply fell apart. I hope my boy recovers with the understanding that making it to the semi is not a small achievement.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Egbon, I wrote on another thread that England go hia wien.

Once they were exposed in the Columbia and Belgium matches, I realised they had ridden their luck enough.

Their major weapon was the set piece. Nothing else.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
rafflick
Egg
Egg

Post by rafflick »

ABEG - when is the MCTC celebratory dinner? I mean once every 4 years dinner should not be too hard to organize :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

England were not expected to go past the quarter finals, They overachieved and will come back better, even if they made it through to the finals, The french would have torn them apart

some lessons to be learnt by the British pundits, dont underestimate your opponents, you still havde to beat the opponents to actually get to the final but it has been a good world cup for England, nobody can deny this
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Heliopolis wrote:Water found its level. Despite my bias against them I noticed early on England didn't have the creativity needed to win the WC. They rely too much on dead balls and revert to defense after scoring even when they are capable of controlling the game. Crisis has been averted and order is restored. I'm confident this generation will not win anything. They should be proud of making it this far but at the end of the day it was due to their favourable draw.

By the way, the English could learn a lot from a country that dominated them in a WC semi even though that country is 13x smaller than them.

Sounds like you are hating. I think they can improve. If they get one good creative player they can go really far in future tournaments. Also teams with less creative spark have won tournaments before. Greece 2004? Leicester 2016?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

TheHitman47 wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Water found its level. Despite my bias against them I noticed early on England didn't have the creativity needed to win the WC. They rely too much on dead balls and revert to defense after scoring even when they are capable of controlling the game. Crisis has been averted and order is restored. I'm confident this generation will not win anything. They should be proud of making it this far but at the end of the day it was due to their favourable draw.

By the way, the English could learn a lot from a country that dominated them in a WC semi even though that country is 13x smaller than them.

Sounds like you are hating. I think they can improve. If they get one good creative player they can go really far in future tournaments. Also teams with less creative spark have won tournaments before. Greece 2004? Leicester 2016?
Junjo Shevley??? not really rated as he dont play for the big 6, i hope he finds himself a better team
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Heliopolis wrote:Marko, England was one creative attacking midfielder away from being in the WC final. Their defense and CM are good enough and so too is Kane upfront. However I promise you that even with maturity and experience this same group of players will fail to make it this far in any upcoming major tournament. England does not have a midfield maestro or #10 to give them the edge against the best teams in the world and are incapable of producing one given how they teach the game.
Nonsense. It may not happen now but I can see England in the future look at some of these and try a different approach. Not everyone in the country is that stubborn and they won't play like minnows. I will say something else as well, despite their lack of creativity, their organization and ability on the ball is much better than it has been in 20 years, and yes that includes their "golden generations". I think if they have a creative player they could go really far in any tournament. If they had a Modric or Eriksen level player in their midfield as a #10 to replace Dele Alli they would be at the same level if not better than a team like Croatia.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

TheHitman47 wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Marko, England was one creative attacking midfielder away from being in the WC final. Their defense and CM are good enough and so too is Kane upfront. However I promise you that even with maturity and experience this same group of players will fail to make it this far in any upcoming major tournament. England does not have a midfield maestro or #10 to give them the edge against the best teams in the world and are incapable of producing one given how they teach the game.
Nonsense. It may not happen now but I can see England in the future look at some of these and try a different approach. Not everyone in the country is that stubborn and they won't play like minnows. I will say something else as well, despite their lack of creativity, their organization and ability on the ball is much better than it has been in 20 years, and yes that includes their "golden generations". I think if they have a creative player they could go really far in any tournament. If they had a Modric or Eriksen level player in their midfield as a #10 to replace Dele Alli they would be at the same level if not better than a team like Croatia.
Dele Alli is not a creative player and dont know if he was used in this capacity, Yesterday, the difference was Modric, he was everywhere, even on tired legs, England will start delivering these players, i dont think they are as arrogant as the Pundits and the press, they understand their shortcomings now, we all saw this yesterday, Southgate should get more players involved, like i said, i will like to see that Junjo Shevley in the set up, Look at France for example, they have Pogba, Kante, Matuldi in the centre of the park, they have Nzonzi on the bench, England dont have these types of players in their squad but the under 20, there was a man city player that could step up as well

Marko
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote:I won't lie sha the sight of a broken and weeping Rashford touched my heart. The poor boy simply fell apart. I hope my boy recovers with the understanding that making it to the semi is not a small achievement.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What the boy needs is a brain. If he wants to become elite, he needs a brain transplant.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

marko wrote:England were not expected to go past the quarter finals, They overachieved and will come back better, even if they made it through to the finals, The french would have torn them apart

some lessons to be learnt by the British pundits, dont underestimate your opponents, you still havde to beat the opponents to actually get to the final but it has been a good world cup for England, nobody can deny this
Easy to overachieve when you are avoiding the big guns. Imagine overachieving passed Tunisia, Costa Rica and Sweden. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: With Colombia going to penalties. :rotf: :rotf:

France went, chest up, defeating the likes of Argentina (who admittedly are crap) Uruguay and Belgium to get to where they are.

Please, sit down before i sit you down.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

danfo driver wrote:
marko wrote:England were not expected to go past the quarter finals, They overachieved and will come back better, even if they made it through to the finals, The french would have torn them apart

Easy to overachieve when you are avoiding the big guns. Imagine overachieving passed Tunisia, Costa Rica and Sweden. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: With Colombia going to penalties. :rotf: :rotf:

France went, chest up, defeating the likes of Argentina (who admittedly are crap) Uruguay and Belgium to get to where they are.

Please, sit down before i sit you down.
?? Croatia did not have to play the likes of Brazil France or Belgium as well or in fact Uruguay, so your point? You play whoever is in front of you

Yes England path was made smoother, everyone can admit that but the likes of Germany went out in a group they were supposed to win, so what really is your point?

When the dust is settled, England had a very good workd cup by its standards and history

Marko
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

At the expense of being accused of banging my favorite drum, that defense is not good enough with Calamity John in it. He was always in danger of making a catastrophic mistake against a good team, and he did. He switched off for a critical moment, allowing Mandzukic to get the ball.

[/video]
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

ohsee wrote:
At the expense of being accused of banging my favorite drum, that defense is not good enough with Calamity John in it. He was always in danger of making a catastrophic mistake against a good team, and he did. He switched off for a critical moment, allowing Mandzukic to get the ball.

[/video]
Is John Stones a regular starter for City? Well Southgate will know better today and will have to invite more players to the england set up

Marko
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

marko wrote:
ohsee wrote:

[/video]
Is John Stones a regular starter for City? Well Southgate will know better today and will have to invite more players to the england set up
Stones became a bench warmer once Pep recognized that despite his vaunted ball skills, he is mistake-prone under pressure.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

ohsee wrote:
marko wrote:
ohsee wrote:

[/video]
Stones became a bench warmer once Pep recognized that despite his vaunted ball skills, he is mistake-prone under pressure.

Lessons will indeed be learned, i will expect Southgate to do the neccessary changes, i hope the British pundits become very humble after this latest experience but i doubt it, they get paid to be obnoxious

They might start supporting the French to exact revenge on the Croatians, that is their nature, had they gone through last night, Pogba would have been in for some anti-press, we have to separate the press from english football

Marko
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

If only England had a Modric or Rakitic? When has England produced such midfielders? Not since 1970 my friends. They had Glenn Hoddle, but nobody even remotely on this level. Heck, Croatia had Boban, Asanovic, and Prosinecki.

On this current England team, only Harry Kane is special. The rest of the team are solid athletes and decent, but not world class dominators. Maybe Pickford, a solid goalie.

I rewatched the game last night again. We were clearly a class above. As I posted earlier, we don't have the legacy pedigree and nearly blew it mentally in the opening 20 minutes. But even in the 1st half after that 20 minutes, we started to assert ourselves, showing our superior technical quality to England.

I'm talking about England. Not France, a vastly superior team. England still cannot produce top quality technicians, for whatever reason. They actually did ultimately panic yesterday and resort to long ball and running. So much ball chasing that they gassed out. Even when they had the ball, they labored, as opposed to making it smooth possession.

These are cultural intangibles. Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Colombia, Argentina, even Croatia, and such countries consistently produce skilled players.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

mate wrote:If only England had a Modric or Rakitic? When has England produced such midfielders? Not since 1970 my friends. They had Glenn Hoddle, but nobody even remotely on this level. Heck, Croatia had Boban, Asanovic, and Prosinecki.

On this current England team, only Harry Kane is special. The rest of the team are solid athletes and decent, but not world class dominators. Maybe Pickford, a solid goalie.

I rewatched the game last night again. We were clearly a class above. As I posted earlier, we don't have the legacy pedigree and nearly blew it mentally in the opening 20 minutes. But even in the 1st half after that 20 minutes, we started to assert ourselves, showing our superior technical quality to England.

I'm talking about England. Not France, a vastly superior team. England still cannot produce top quality technicians, for whatever reason. They actually did ultimately panic yesterday and resort to long ball and running. So much ball chasing that they gassed out. Even when they had the ball, they labored, as opposed to making it smooth possession.

These are cultural intangibles. Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Colombia, Argentina, even Croatia, and such countries consistently produce skilled players.
England prioritise blood and guts, the traits of a bulldog over guile and skill.

You should see the way most youth coaching is done. It's mostly about running about, shoving and showing passion.

England could change in the next 10 years if only they start to kill off the old soldier coaches with borstal mentality.

If you truly want your Brit kid to develop football wise, you are better off sending them to the continent. Either that or if you are lucky, your kid's academy or school travel regularly for camps on the continent.

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

cchinukw

What you write is lamentable. Tragic given history. You'd think the English of all people would know better, especially after so much heartbreak.

Look, I admit I feared some of the lumberjacks and speedsters at the beginning of the match. But my confidence grew. As Maradona famously once said, football isn't a track race, where you line up and clock them.

You have to accept the skinny, short, and underdeveloped athletes that show glimmers of skills and guile. Imaging what happens when they get the right sports science. England unfortunately has imbued the USA with a similar attitude.

WC after WC, so many Americans insist on saying that if only Lebron James, Michael Jordan, and Tom Brady played soccer. Morons.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

mate wrote:If only England had a Modric or Rakitic? When has England produced such midfielders? Not since 1970 my friends. They had Glenn Hoddle, but nobody even remotely on this level. Heck, Croatia had Boban, Asanovic, and Prosinecki.

Agreed, although I question the highlighted in recent years.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

mate wrote:cchinukw

What you write is lamentable. Tragic given history. You'd think the English of all people would know better, especially after so much heartbreak.

Look, I admit I feared some of the lumberjacks and speedsters at the beginning of the match. But my confidence grew. As Maradona famously once said, football isn't a track race, where you line up and clock them.

You have to accept the skinny, short, and underdeveloped athletes that show glimmers of skills and guile. Imaging what happens when they get the right sports science. England unfortunately has imbued the USA with a similar attitude.

WC after WC, so many Americans insist on saying that if only Lebron James, Michael Jordan, and Tom Brady played soccer. Morons.
True. It is highly unlikely that Luca would have advanced the way his career has gone if he grew up as a kid in England.

Those skills would have been coached out of him and stunted his growth by the time he was of professional age. The big kids advance pretty quickly until at professional age they begin to fall to their level. This though after years and years exposed to bad coaching.

I thought that all the elite system would have really weeded out this type of bad coaching. As you would no doubt have noticed from the 3 Lions, they had plenty in the tank to burn in the first half. And the nation adores that sort of blood, sweat and guts.

Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:
marko wrote:England will learn from this defeat in good faith, there is still a lot for them to learn, the experienced side won on the day
keep quiet, mscheeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww
:lol:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!