Luka Modric vs British Press (Video)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kendo
Egg
Egg
Luka Modric vs British Press (Video)

Post by kendo »

words from Luka Modric post-match:

"English journalists, pundits from television, they underestimated Croatia tonight and that was a huge mistake. All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying 'ok, today we will see who will be tired'"
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Luka Modric vs British Press (Video)

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

But it was his mistake that led to the England goal
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

camex wrote:But it was his mistake that led to the England goal
But they as a team fixed it and now they move on to the final,England where always trying to avoid the big guns and thought their path was going to get them to their first final in 52 years but they end up playing group rivals Belgium in a 3rd place playoff.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

He is an exceptional player. :clap: :clap:

Not only for his brilliant technique but his work ethic too. Young players should have him as role model. Clearly one of the most underrated footballers today.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

people should learn to separate the pundits from real football fans, The British pundits are a class of their own, they whip everything up to frenzy in everyday life. thats who they are

if the England team took notes from the pundits, then it was their downfall but i dont think they can be that unprofessional
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

marko wrote:people should learn to separate the pundits from real football fans, The British pundits are a class of their own, they whip everything up to frenzy in everyday life. thats who they are

if the England team took notes from the pundits, then it was their downfall but i dont think they can be that unprofessional
Most fans take their cue from pundits. People in my office on Wednesday morning were worrying about whether they could beat France - like Croatia didn't matter.
http://www.naijiant.com/
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

The reason why Nigerians hate the Brits is because we are alike. If Nigeria wins the wc, Una think say the world go rest?
Even in defeat, we don see thread like "Nigeria lost to this Croatia team?" etc Our mouth big pass their own.

I'm sure they might not be singing "football is coming home" in Nigeria, had we reached the SF, but the streets of some of our major cities would have been brought to a standstill and our law makers emptying the state coffers to book tickets for themselves and their ashawo's to be in Russia.

We should take the molt out of our own eye first. Most countries celebrate success
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

pajimoh wrote:The reason why Nigerians hate the Brits is because we are alike. If Nigeria wins the wc, Una think say the world go rest?
Even in defeat, we don see thread like "Nigeria lost to this Croatia team?" etc Our mouth big pass their own.

I'm sure they might not be singing "football is coming home" in Nigeria, had we reached the SF, but the streets of some of our major cities would have been brought to a standstill and our law makers emptying the state coffers to book tickets for themselves and their ashawo's to be in Russia.

We should take the molt out of our own eye first. Most countries celebrate success
Gerrarahia!!
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

marko wrote:people should learn to separate the pundits from real football fans, The British pundits are a class of their own, they whip everything up to frenzy in everyday life. thats who they are

You talk too much shait
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

cic old boy wrote:
pajimoh wrote:The reason why Nigerians hate the Brits is because we are alike. If Nigeria wins the wc, Una think say the world go rest?

Gerrarahia!!
Na lie I talk? Even ya own beer palour gist blog go hae field day exposing hawa law makers and how many ikebe's Dem get in the same room :tic: Go easy on the hating, their own no reach hawa level
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Na true you tok Pajimoh.
Ask any other African about the Nigerian 'mouth'. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

cic old boy wrote:

Gerrarahia!!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Truth hurts! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Damunk wrote:

Na true you tok Pajimoh.
Ask any other African about the Nigerian 'mouth'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

WE know YOU too well

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Kabalega wrote: Gerrarahia!!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Truth hurts! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:[/quote]
What "truth"?

I have already explained my England beef on a different thread. Nothing to do with me being like them.
There is really no explanation for those of you who wonder why many of us derive pleasure in watching England lose. It just goes to show many of you don’t understand football traditions – a bit like the person that castigated Nigerian fans for booing Dele Alli.

If you don’t understand why we don’t like England, maybe you really don’t understand football and the passions involved. You should follow cricket or something instead.

Go and ask the Scots, the Irish and the Welsh, who understand the English more than you do, why they love it when England lose. Ask the Scots why Diego Maradona is treated like a hero there, why during WCs there are Argentina flags in many Glasgow pubs.

Bill Shankly once said that football is more important than life and death. I wouldn’t go that far, but the joy I get from an England loss is more than the joy I derive from a Nigeria win. If I have to boil this down to a simple explanation, I would say it stems from English arrogance and hubris. There is nothing I love more than overinflated egos getting their comeuppance.

It was never like this b/4. I was a bit indifferent towards England until I started living in the country. Then you see their misguided sense of superiority, their media overhyping very average players, claiming everything about them is the best in the world, their dismissal of opponents, etc. When England were about to play Germany in 2010, Shearer said that no German could make the English first team on paper. When they got whacked 4-1, someone told him football was played on grass not on paper.

England have a knack of comparing their average players with genuine greats. They compared Kevin Keegan with Cruyff, compared Lineker with Van Basten, compared Lampard with Kaka, compared Shearer with the real Ronaldo, and Rooney was the “White Pele”. During a friendly against Brazil, when Shearer kicked Big Ron, commentator Martin Tyler said: “Shearer tries to settle the argument over who is the better striker personally”. Today, they keep trying to force down our throats that Harry Kane belongs in the same level as Messi and Cristiano. If they can’t claim to be the best, they claim credit for it. So Thierry Henry is: “born in France but made in England”.

Then you see how the likes of Alan Sugar likened the Senegal team to poor Africans selling fake designer handbags in Marbella and you wish Senegal would shove it down their throats by knocking England out.

On top of all that, the “blame the black guy” syndrome has never really gone away. From John Barnes to Raheem Sterling, the media would always try to pin England’s failures on their black players. You dare not make a mistake if you are black and playing for England. Not too long ago, England had an unwritten quota of one black player per team. They also chose not make Sol Campbell captain for obvious reasons. When Barnes scored a wonder goal in a 2-1 defeat over Brazil at the Maracana, on the flight back home, some fans told him that for them the result was 1-1 as the goal was scored by a black player. Not too long ago, those fans used to chant “no black in the Union Jack”. They still sing “Britannia rules the waves”. When Britannia ruled the waves was when they went round the world slaughtering many like you and me.

When Linford Christie won an Olympic gold medal and covered himself in the Union Jack, one guy said if only he knew that it was under that banner that his ancestors were taken from Africa to the Caribbean as slaves.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=289594&start=23
Eclipse
Egg
Egg

Post by Eclipse »

Love luka Modric...straight talker always has been. Just never liked his attitude to spurs ever since he left. Always takes the chance to crap on spurs when he gets the chance. I think last season put a stop to that though. :D :D
only the super eagles of nigeria are capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory-total football magazine circa june 02'
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

cic old boy wrote:
What "truth"?

I have already explained my England beef on a different thread. Nothing to do with me being like them.
There is really no explanation for those of you who wonder why many of us derive pleasure in watching England lose. It just goes to show many of you don’t understand football traditions – a bit like the person that castigated Nigerian fans for booing Dele Alli.

If you don’t understand why we don’t like England, maybe you really don’t understand football and the passions involved. You should follow cricket or something instead.

Go and ask the Scots, the Irish and the Welsh, who understand the English more than you do, why they love it when England lose. Ask the Scots why Diego Maradona is treated like a hero there, why during WCs there are Argentina flags in many Glasgow pubs.

Bill Shankly once said that football is more important than life and death. I wouldn’t go that far, but the joy I get from an England loss is more than the joy I derive from a Nigeria win. If I have to boil this down to a simple explanation, I would say it stems from English arrogance and hubris. There is nothing I love more than overinflated egos getting their comeuppance.

It was never like this b/4. I was a bit indifferent towards England until I started living in the country. Then you see their misguided sense of superiority, their media overhyping very average players, claiming everything about them is the best in the world, their dismissal of opponents, etc. When England were about to play Germany in 2010, Shearer said that no German could make the English first team on paper. When they got whacked 4-1, someone told him football was played on grass not on paper.

England have a knack of comparing their average players with genuine greats. They compared Kevin Keegan with Cruyff, compared Lineker with Van Basten, compared Lampard with Kaka, compared Shearer with the real Ronaldo, and Rooney was the “White Pele”. During a friendly against Brazil, when Shearer kicked Big Ron, commentator Martin Tyler said: “Shearer tries to settle the argument over who is the better striker personally”. Today, they keep trying to force down our throats that Harry Kane belongs in the same level as Messi and Cristiano. If they can’t claim to be the best, they claim credit for it. So Thierry Henry is: “born in France but made in England”.

Then you see how the likes of Alan Sugar likened the Senegal team to poor Africans selling fake designer handbags in Marbella and you wish Senegal would shove it down their throats by knocking England out.

On top of all that, the “blame the black guy” syndrome has never really gone away. From John Barnes to Raheem Sterling, the media would always try to pin England’s failures on their black players. You dare not make a mistake if you are black and playing for England. Not too long ago, England had an unwritten quota of one black player per team. They also chose not make Sol Campbell captain for obvious reasons. When Barnes scored a wonder goal in a 2-1 defeat over Brazil at the Maracana, on the flight back home, some fans told him that for them the result was 1-1 as the goal was scored by a black player. Not too long ago, those fans used to chant “no black in the Union Jack”. They still sing “Britannia rules the waves”. When Britannia ruled the waves was when they went round the world slaughtering many like you and me.

When Linford Christie won an Olympic gold medal and covered himself in the Union Jack, one guy said if only he knew that it was under that banner that his ancestors were taken from Africa to the Caribbean as slaves.
[/quote]

CIC, abeg, chop knuckle...
You've just taken this outta my mouth...

The typical English journo believes the entire soccer universe revolves around England...
Always feels good whenever that ignorance bites them...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

cic old boy wrote:
What "truth"?

[/quote]

Even on the equalizer, the Daily star said Kyle Walker should have prevented Perisic from getting to the ball on the equalizer and made no mention of how Harry Maguire completely lost his man who scored the goal. :rotf: If anyone was to be blamed for both goals, it would arguably be Maguire.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... tgalleries
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

This article is eight years old but still rings true:
http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/31278.html

World Cup
England's problem hidden by cultural arrogance

Ben BlackmoreJune 29, 2010

Wayne Rooney has never scored a competitive international goal against one of the world's top nine nations © Getty Images
Enlarge
RELATED LINKS
News: England don't perform as a team - Klose
News: Capello bemoans disallowed goal
So England are out, without even needing the heartache of penalties that Sven Goran Eriksson's teams always guaranteed, and now the inevitable post mortems will begin.

How was England's 'Golden Generation' hammered 4-1 by a Germany side who did not even have their skipper on the pitch? How did a coach earning £6 million lead England to their worst ever World Cup result?

Was it the fault of the Uruguayan linesman for failing to spot Frank Lampard's equaliser? Was Wayne Rooney to blame for booking his holiday bang in the middle of the most important summer in England's calendar? Should Fabio Capello take the blame for making an abundance of tactical errors, not least playing his captain out of position on the left wing?

Certainly all three factors did not help.

But just for once, let's not allow the multiple fingers of blame paper over the real problem, the problem that has existed for decades and stands the test of time far better than any disallowed goal or poor managerial decision, the problem of English arrogance (call it blind faith if you will) when it comes to football.

The air of superiority that allows England players to claim they can win the World Cup after clinging on desperately for a 1-0 victory over international minnows Slovenia, who have only ever won one game in a major international competition. The arrogance that sees TV pundits insist England 'should beat' a 'poor German side' prior to kick-off. And the arrogance that sees Rooney regularly compared to Lionel Messi, despite possessing only a fraction of the talent carried in the Argentinian's magical left foot.

Diego Milito, the man who won the UEFA Champions League for Inter Milan, sums it up perfectly.

When we hear the English or anybody else in the world of football trying to compare Wayne Rooney with Messi, we find it laughable
"When we hear the English or anybody else in the world of football trying to compare Wayne Rooney with Messi, we find it laughable," Milito told the Daily Star Sunday. "Rooney is a very good player there is no doubt about that - but to put him on the same level as Messi is wrong. It's not up for debate, it's just wrong.

"We are looking at a player in Messi who, when he retires, may very well be the best player to have graced the game. How can he be compared to anybody currently playing, let alone a player who has never ever won World Player of the Year?

"While I don't agree with it, I can understand Messi being compared to Kaka and Ronaldo, but Rooney? No, no, no. Like I said, I think Rooney is a very good player, maybe even a top 20 player in the world - but that doesn't make him Messi, it doesn't even make him close to Messi."

Milito is bang on the button. While Rooney is an exceptional talent who plundered 40+ goals for Manchester United this season, he is not Lionel Messi. Much like Steven Gerrard is not Xavi, and Frank Lampard is not Andres Iniesta. English players, to a man, struggle to keep the ball. They cannot retain possession for long periods, and they cannot play a patient game, as international football demands. Just look at how much Liverpool and Gerrard struggled to control matches without the presence of Xabi Alonso last season.

Miroslav Klose began the disaster in Bloemfontein © Getty Images
Enlarge
Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard are top players, capable of performing at the highest level of club football. They are players that would have made many a man's first XI when picking a World Cup dream team ahead of the tournament. Yet once again their performances in South Africa were not even worthy of a second XI. International icons they may be, but none of them have ever produced a sustained argument to suggest they are top international footballers. Rooney has never scored a competitive international goal against one of the top nine countries in world football, Gerrard likewise since his maiden England goal against Germany back in 2001.

International football, when you get to a business end of a World Cup, is a level for players who can trap a ball effortlessly and shift it to his closest team-mate, a level where technique and intelligence is a necessity much more valued than the ability to 'put in a shift'. It is an understanding of football that will never see a Barcelona or Real Madrid side attempt to spend £28 million on James Milner - as has been touted in connection with Manchester City.

Spanish, Portuguese and South American players in particular have these values ingrained from birth. You can guarantee Cesc Fabregas will never have been applauded for 'getting the ball in the mixer' during his spell in the Barcelona Academy. By contrast, walk down to any park in England on a Sunday afternoon and count how many times the next generation are encouraged to 'get stuck in'.

Capello can take all the blame the media care to throw at him after he picked Rob Green, overlooked Joe Cole, misused Gerrard and failed to get the best out of Rooney, but the truth is he will only join a long list of scapegoats covering up England's major problem.

Arrogance breeds denial and superiority, yet the culture of English football is not one to be proud of.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

British pundits get paid to lie to everyone, everyone should have understood this ages ago, yes they are very arrogant and do not represent the true state of things in the UK

If you do not support England as a pundit, they will not hire you again, thats why the likes of Collymore are on radioshows, they do not pay millions for you to be truthful

yesterday match reminded me of Nigeria Denmark 1998 when we were looking at the next fixture against Brazil, we all know what happened next

I for one thought England had a good chance to beat Croatia but i did recognise it was going to be 50/50

The british press and pundits will never change and why should they? they make the whole spectacle very interesting
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Meanwhile .... :???:

What's Croatia's problem with Luka Modric?
http://kwese.espn.com/football/fifa-wor ... a-hate-him

If Harry Kane leads England to World Cup glory, he'll be given a knighthood before the plane home touches down. Should Kylian Mbappe score the winner in Moscow, he'll be France's boy king, feted for life. If Eden Hazard is the man who lifts the trophy on July 15, he'll never again have to pay for another strong Belgian beer.

But if the leader of the winners happens to be Luka Modric, then it might not be quite so straightforward. Modric is, to say the least, not universally popular in Croatia; in fact, he's actively disliked by large swathes of the population.

Why? It's a complicated issue, but it essentially boils down to Modric's relationship with one of Croatian football's most powerful men. When Modric was coming through the ranks at Dinamo Zagreb, he, like many others, signed a contract with Zdravko Mamic. Mamic has been, at various points, a Dinamo executive and vice-president of the Croatian Football Federation, and for a while at least was essentially Croatian football's Mr. Big.

Under those agreements, Mamic provided initial financial support in return for a proportion of the player's later earnings, and would be represented by his son Mario, a licensed agent. Clauses would be inserted into their contracts which stated the players would be due a cut of the transfer fee should they ever be sold. They would then use that money to pay their obligations to Mamic. In Modric's case, when he moved to Tottenham in 2008 he received €10.5million of the fee, but around €8.5million of that went to Mamic and his family

The trouble came when Mamic was accused of inserting those clauses after the players -- including squad members Dejan Lovren, Sime Vrsaljko and Mateo Kovacic, along with Modric-- had been sold. In 2015 he was arrested, accused of embezzlement and tax evasion, and was eventually convicted, along with three other men. In June of this year, he was given a jail sentence of six and a half years. He seemingly has no intention of serving that sentence, after fleeing to Bosnia-Herzegovina before the verdict.

So where does Modric come in? In June 2017 he, along with Lovren, testified in Mamic's trial. Modric said he "couldn't remember" basic details like how much he earned in his early days at Dinamo and when he made his international debut. Crucially though, he claimed that the contract clauses in question were already in place before his sale to Tottenham in 2008.

However, that seemed to contradict earlier statements, which eventually led to him being charged with perjury in March this year. He could face up to five years in jail if found guilty. Lovren is also being investigated, although he has not been charged.

Even before this, Modric's popularity in his homeland was low. Fans, sick of corruption in the Croatian game, saw his relationship with Mamic as part of the problem, and a few disrupted their match against Czech Republic at Euro 2016 by throwing flares on to the pitch in protest.

At this World Cup, the antipathy towards Modric continued, whether that was expressed through apathy at the side's fortunes in Russia or in more specific ways, such as this supporter who had printed on the back of his shirt "Ne sjecam se" -- "I don't remember," in reference to Modric's testimony.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

strings_kings
@strings_kings
Konačno je i kontra došla na stadion

12:48 - 16 Jun 2018
75 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads information and privacy
And that's polite compared to some of the graffiti that appeared around Zagreb during the Mamic trial, which included the slightly chilling message: "Luka, you'll remember this one day."

Modric, perhaps predictably, hasn't been keen to discuss his extracurricular concerns. When asked by a reporter from The Guardian before Croatia's game against Nigeria if the case was a distraction for him or the team, Modric didn't take it especially well. "Nothing smarter to ask?" he snapped. "It's a World Cup, it's not about other things. How long did you prepare for asking this kind of question?"

Luka Modric has propelled Croatia to only their second ever World Cup semifinal. Maja Hitij/FIFA/Getty Images
But what's remarkable is just how brilliant Modric has been in Russia with all of this hanging over him. Players are routinely left out of matches because their frame of mind is impacted by pending transfers, and yet Modric has been able to produce incredibly performances knowing a possible prison sentence awaits after the tournament.

Still, the brains of some footballers are simply wired differently to others. From Lee Bowyer enjoying brilliant form with Leeds while on trial for assault, right up to John Obi Mikel appearing at this World Cup knowing that his father had been kidnapped, sometimes footballers have an extraordinary ability to compartmentalise and to concentrate their energy on football no matter what else is happening off the pitch.

In this World Cup, he's been a conductor of subtlety and precision, gently taking teams apart. He was one of only two players left in Croatia's starting XI for their final group game against Iceland, when they'd already qualified, as if coach Zlatko Dalic couldn't trust his team to function without Modric on the pitch.

In a modern football world defined by moments, brief snatches of thrilling action that can be turned into GIFs, Modric is a sprawling, three-hour masterpiece of a movie. Perhaps the wider world doesn't quite have the attention span to fully appreciate him, but at least the wider world doesn't hate him.

If he leads Croatia to victory over England and then in the final on Sunday, will his popularity be affected? Will on-pitch success save his reputation? Probably not. An unscientific survey of those who would know suggested that positions are entrenched. Those who have decided Modric is not a man to be celebrated are firm in their convictions. Others believe the World Cup is only about football, in which case Modric is already a hero. But it's unlikely that minds will be changed.

Luka Modric could be a World Cup winner, admired and loved everywhere, except at home.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

:clap: :agree:
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Rawlings wrote:

:clap: :agree:
E be like we do you sontin. Na babe mata? Eya :oops:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051