Shaqiri joins Liverpool from Stoke that Etebo just joined

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Shaqiri joins Liverpool from Stoke that Etebo just joined

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

BREAKING: Liverpool have agreed a £13.75M deal for Xherdan Shaqiri! He is due a medical today.

When one of our best players is joining Championship side Stoke City, we have to ask ourselves if we are not regressing. I for one actually believe Etebo could cut it at Liverpool. I for instance do not see in what way Jordan Henderson is a better midfielder than him.

Matters arising guys. What do we do about this?
charlie
Egg
Egg
Re: Shaqiri joins Liverpool from Stoke that Etebo just joine

Post by charlie »

Etebo knows exactly what he is doing. In Stokes, he is guaranteed playing time. If he shines, he wont stay in the Championship side for long.

Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:BREAKING: Liverpool have agreed a £13.75M deal for Xherdan Shaqiri! He is due a medical today.

When one of our best players is joining Championship side Stoke City, we have to ask ourselves if we are not regressing. I for one actually believe Etebo could cut it at Liverpool. I for instance do not see in what way Jordan Henderson is a better midfielder than him.

You’re right as usual. He should actually be replacing iniesta at Barca. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

charlie wrote:Etebo knows exactly what he is doing. In Stokes, he is guaranteed playing time. If he shines, he wont stay in the Championship side for long.

If our best players need to go to the Championship to secure guaranteed playing time, we have a huge problem. Are we really that low on talent?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:BREAKING: Liverpool have agreed a £13.75M deal for Xherdan Shaqiri! He is due a medical today.

Etebo is moving from a loan to relegated Las Palmas to Stokes. This is an upgrade for him. I think he should have waited till after the WC to move, but then again I can see why he made the deal before the WC given he wasn't really in Rohr's plan till a couple of weeks before the WC squad list deadline.

BTW, when are you going to move from CE contributing editor to the big leagues. It's been 15 years and that could be considered more stagnant and retrogressing than Etebo's move to stokes.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I think you've again missed the lesson from this World Cup. A cursory look at the teams that made the last 8 reveals these were TEAMS where no real individual shone out. The ethos of football is again moving towards the team being the core of achievement, not an individual(s) within the team.

What we need more than ever going forward are opportunities for the players to get together, know themselves, play many games together and play a standard and consistent style and formation. So, if a talented player is seeing regular action and can bring that form in that league to the team effort of the National Team, then it's all good in my humble submission.

Every pundit worth his salt has repeatedly spoken about team ethos as being the big revelation about this World Cup. Why should we plow a different route?
To stop trying is to start dying
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Saw this a few days back, good bit of business by Liverpool. Shaqiri is a bit hit and miss, but in this mad market, premier league experience, international grade, at the peak age for 13 million is a fine purchase. Good cover for the wide areas.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

You’re right as usual. He should actually be replacing iniesta at Barca. :thumb:
:atc:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
charlie wrote:Etebo knows exactly what he is doing. In Stokes, he is guaranteed playing time. If he shines, he wont stay in the Championship side for long.

If our best players need to go to the Championship to secure guaranteed playing time, we have a huge problem. Are we really that low on talent?
We are actually.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Coach wrote:Saw this a few days back, good bit of business by Liverpool. Shaqiri is a bit hit and miss, but in this mad market, premier league experience, international grade, at the peak age for 13 million is a fine purchase. Good cover for the wide areas.

absolutely agree. Fine purchase for 13 million, as long as he'll be a contributing and good teammate wo won't sulk at restricted minutes.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

The standard of football in the Championship is quite high for a second tier. Wolves were a joy to watch last season and Jokanovic’s Fulham were swashbuckling. Ayo, your argument is based entirely on name with no substance, within said Championship, Etebo will play in some stadium steeped in history, Elland Road, Hillsborough, the Hawthorns, Villa Park...how many premier league teams on the continent can compete with such names, given the importance name is afforded? Notts Foret, QPR, Millwall, the City Ground, Loftus Road, the Den. As far as competition Is concerned, the championship is the most competitive league in Europe and with Stoke’s future hinging on a swift return, it’ll be an environment fraught with high expectation.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Coach wrote:The standard of football in the Championship is quite high for a second tier. Wolves were a joy to watch last season and Jokanovic’s Fulham were swashbuckling. Ayo, your argument is based entirely on name with no substance, within said Championship, Etebo will play in some stadium steeped in history, Elland Road, Hillsborough, the Hawthorns, Villa Park...how many premier league teams on the continent can compete with such names, given the importance name is afforded? Notts Foret, QPR, Millwall, the City Ground, Loftus Road, the Den. As far as competition Is concerned, the championship is the most competitive league in Europe and with Stoke’s future hinging on a swift return, it’ll be an environment fraught with high expectation.
Bless!
To stop trying is to start dying
adebisy
Egg
Egg

Post by adebisy »

Etebo is an average player at best. I don't know why people get carried away with players that hustle but have limited skills and intelligence. For me, Etebo is no different from Ighalo- they are not good enough for SE. Rohr should have used Iwobi instead of Etebo in our last two world cup matches, but then, what do I know...
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

delete useless thread
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

That is progress for most of the people on CE
There is an old thread where Cybereaglalites were praising this backward movement

anyhow, the market does not see Etebo the same way u guys view him
He's a lightweight
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

:D Its not as simple as you make it out to be. Etebo has talent but he still has a lot to prove before he will be trusted with higher responsabilities. This move to Stokes gives him that opportunity. Its not a bad move (it can even be considered a wise transition into English football).

Lets revive this thread in 6months/1 year and we can see is right.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Moving from a lowly rated Portuguese side to one of the better Championship sides that should be challenging for promotion is progress. He can use this move to Stoke as a stepping stone.

It's not as black and white as you make it sound. Not every African player is able to go from Africa right to a top team, some have had to work their way up to the top teams. Examples are Michael Essien, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure, Mo Salah, and Sadio Mane.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

olu wrote:Moving from a lowly rated Portuguese side to one of the better Championship sides that should be challenging for promotion is progress. He can use this move to Stoke as a stepping stone.

It's not as black and white as you make it sound. Not every African player is able to go from Africa right to a top team, some have had to work their way up to the top teams. Examples are Michael Essien, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure, Mo Salah, and Sadio Mane.
It would have been progress if he did not play for SE
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

olu wrote:Moving from a lowly rated Portuguese side to one of the better Championship sides that should be challenging for promotion is progress. He can use this move to Stoke as a stepping stone.

Las Palmas is a Spanish side, not Portuguese.
Etebo has bonafide La Liga experience under his belt.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

charlie wrote:

Las Palmas is a Spanish side, not Portuguese.
Etebo has bonafide La Liga experience under his belt.
Charlie,

He is correct. Is Feirense not a Portuguese club? Entebbe moved to Las Palmas on loan only, I believe, from Feirense and is now moving from Feirense to Stoke. Just my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Coach wrote:The standard of football in the Championship is quite high for a second tier. Wolves were a joy to watch last season and Jokanovic’s Fulham were swashbuckling. Ayo, your argument is based entirely on name with no substance, within said Championship, Etebo will play in some stadium steeped in history, Elland Road, Hillsborough, the Hawthorns, Villa Park...how many premier league teams on the continent can compete with such names, given the importance name is afforded? Notts Foret, QPR, Millwall, the City Ground, Loftus Road, the Den. As far as competition Is concerned, the championship is the most competitive league in Europe and with Stoke’s future hinging on a swift return, it’ll be an environment fraught with high expectation.
Wow!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The Championship should hire you in their marketing dept.
Even me wey think say I sabi Championship before, suddenly I dey use fresh eye look am.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

adebisy wrote:Etebo is an average player at best. I don't know why people get carried away with players that hustle but have limited skills and intelligence. For me, Etebo is no different from Ighalo- they are not good enough for SE. Rohr should have used Iwobi instead of Etebo in our last two world cup matches, but then, what do I know...
Sadly, not much. :(
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
adebisy wrote:Etebo is an average player at best. I don't know why people get carried away with players that hustle but have limited skills and intelligence. For me, Etebo is no different from Ighalo- they are not good enough for SE. Rohr should have used Iwobi instead of Etebo in our last two world cup matches, but then, what do I know...
Sadly, not much. :(
:rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16