VAR: An outrageous success.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
VAR: An outrageous success.

Post by Waffiman »

Anybody noticed how VAR became less of an issue match by match? The cheats learned quickly. Notice for example how diving for penalties has almost become extinct. Just wait until the league season begins and it will be normal cheating and diving service resumed.

Also, VAR has given Refs a massive boost to their authority, they are able and confident to call big decisions exactly how they see them knowing VAR has their back.

We will one day wonder what the fuss was about but until then the EPL and UEFA will drag their feet whilst the whole of football looks on, appalled.

The EPL made a decision not to use VAR next season just before the WC. My guess is, they expected it to be a failure at the WC, on the contrary it has succeeded. Yes, there have been problems, but these were ironed out as the tournament progressed and it got better and better.

VAR has been an outrageous success. Shame, it is such an expensive tool for what is the people's game.

VAR is here to stay, it will happen eventually in all leagues in football.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: VAR: An outrageous success.

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Waffiman wrote:Anybody noticed how VAR became less of an issue match by match? The cheats learned quickly. Notice for example how diving for penalties has almost become extinct. Just wait until the league season begins and it will be normal cheating and diving service resumed.

Also, VAR has given Refs a massive boost to their authority, they are able and confident to call big decisions exactly how they see them knowing VAR has their back.

We will one day wonder what the fuss was about but until then the EPL and UEFA will drag their feet whilst the whole of football looks on, appalled.

The EPL made a decision not to use VAR next season just before the WC. My guess is, they expected it to be a failure at the WC, on the contrary it has succeeded. Yes, there have been problems, but these were ironed out as the tournament progressed and it got better and better.

VAR has been an outrageous success. Shame, it is such an expensive tool for what is the people's game.

With the money tied to EPL ( sponsorship, gates etc ) its a pragmatic decision for the Premier league , but they should have let it in for the championship and the cups competitions and regionals this season , no mind the wayo people.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Does Waffi work for VAR corps?

Just wondering .....
BTW, VAR got better because 9ja holding defenders and diving S.Americans are out?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Kabalega wrote:Does Waffi work for VAR corps?

Just wondering .....
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: BTW, VAR got better because 9ja holding defenders and diving S.Americans are out?
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Waffiman wrote:Anybody noticed how VAR became less of an issue match by match? The cheats learned quickly. Notice for example how diving for penalties has almost become extinct. Just wait until the league season begins and it will be normal cheating and diving service resumed.

I agree, VAR is a welcome success, however it has done nothing to remove human bias from referring.
I'm still fuming about that none-call for a second penalty in our game against Argentina.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

It's been a huge success but has also been abused. It has been used on some occasions to correctly call the close decisions for the big teams and not for the small teams. So when used it has led to the correct call being given, however, they can still pick and choose when to use it.

Even with its limitation, I think it should be deployed even for the poorer leagues in the world. Basic video revision during matches can be used in Nigeria, for example, to correct glaring errors or dubious calls by the ref. It does not have to be as technologically advanced as what was used at the World Cup. To ensure it doesn't turn into a complete farce, each team could be given only 5 video revisions per game and it's up to them to use it wisely.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Don't know about "outrageous" success but it was successful albeit with the normal kinks expected from a system being used at this level.

I still want a team's ability to have one "Challenge" per half...

On the rules, I want a better definition of what is a handball... what constitute's a high kick (dangerous play). FIFA should release a video to help educate fans...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cellular wrote:

Don't know about "outrageous" success but it was successful albeit with the normal kinks expected from a system being used at this level.

I still want a team's ability to have one "Challenge" per half...

On the rules, I want a better definition of what is a handball... what constitute's a high kick (dangerous play). FIFA should release a video to help educate fans...
Outrageous success because it has succeeded in curbing cheating and even added drama to the football occasion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you on handball rules.

The issue of challenges is one I am not yet sold on.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Not in Africa until the technology goes down in price.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

charlie wrote:

I agree, VAR is a welcome success, however it has done nothing to remove human bias from referring.
I'm still fuming about that none-call for a second penalty in our game against Argentina.
My broda, Abeg nor remind me. That is one part of VAR, I felt they got wrong. We hear they have modified it to be for only clear cut decisions. To me, that kick was a clear cut decision and a penalty.

I think the role of players working on the Ref is still an issue. We must learn to be more aggressive in imposing our stance in calling for VAR.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Rojo is laughing at Nigeria and VAR...
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Kabalega wrote:and diving S.Americans are out?
The competition definitely got cleaner and the sportsmanship improved after the South Americans were kicked out. They not only dive but do some annoying things like deliberately trying to hurt players. The Argentinians, for example, started to kick Mbappe in the second half at every given opportunity, even when off the ball. This was after they saw pepper from his lightning pace in the first half. This is one thing I can't stand about their game.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Eaglezbeak wrote:

Not in Africa until the technology goes down in price.
why not Naija? with all the billions from oil, you cannot afford it?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

VAR brought a whole new dimension of entertainment to the football game. NEw suspense, new emotions, new expectations, new nail biting moments and more. It was sweet seeing Mikel vs Argentina directing the Ref to go check the VAR.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

This is part of Americanization of world soccer. FIFA got the memo and I'm glad they finally used it this world cup after USL (United Soccer League) have been using it since 2016. We will take credit for it, thank you!

There are many things FIFA can learn from American sports that will immensely help the game. They need to start putting markings(measurement) on the field. The ten yard free kicks are often times too short or too long. A ten yard is a ten yard and that needs to be measured! Afterall, they measured the corner kicks and penalty spots to the goal.

The sport is too big not to get right! Too much money is involved! Like Cellular said, there has to be a clear definition of what a hand ball is. That nonsense the ref pulled in the Naija vs Argentina, even after the VAR challenge, should not be happening!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****