How would you rate WC 2018?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg
How would you rate WC 2018?

Post by Heliopolis »

To me it was the best WC since 1994. It had parity, upsets, goals, a variety of star players, and the most entertaining final since 1986.

One of my favourite stats from this tourny is we only had 1 scoreless game which likely would've had goals if France and Denmark had something to play for.

This WC also segues nicely into the next WC since big guns such as Spain, Argentina, Brazil, and Germany had disappointing tourneys (and will use this WC as motivation to improve) and the likes of Italy and Holland will likely be back leading to an even more competitive field.

From a logistical perspective, the WC went without a hitch and every fan I came across was left impressed by Russia. We didn't have logistical nightmares, security issues, racism, etc. I liked the atmosphere in Brazil better but this WC was more organized.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How would you rate WC 2018?

Post by Undertaker »

Best WC ever! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

very successful and I agree with undertaker, best wc ever. The fear mongers(British/American press) failed in their campaign. Putin did his thing :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

The quality of a lot of the matches wasn't great but the entertainment value was. Of the World Cups I'll go France, Russia and Brazil tied, South Africa, Korea/Japan then Germany.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Things I liked/noticed:

1) Gap between best and worst teams closed. Only teams that took a pasting were the Saudis and Panama (unsurprising as it is their first world cup).

2) The extraordinary number of goals in the last minute, injury time, and dying minutes of matches.

3) Extraordinary number of goals from set pieces.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Best WC I've ever seen, not because of the quality of footy (although some games were epic) but because of the intrigue of the VAR, small countries punching above their weight, the Ronaldo V Messi side story and the flipping of football away from the ghastly tiki taka or senseless possession game to a more result oriented and attacking style. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Damn good World Cup if you ask me. Quality and surprise in equal measure :clap: :clap: :clap:
To stop trying is to start dying
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Best World Cup ever.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I actually think it was the worst WC ever.

Too many Pks, too many own goals, too much VAR controversy. Too many set piece goals, not enough classical team play goals scored from open play.

And frankly not the greatest display of football I have seen.

I'm surprised I seem to be the only one to think this.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Best World Cup IMHO.

Parity between the top teams and the rest has diminished. The quality of football was great. VAR VAR VAR. It was a much better outcome and will only get better. Russia surprised me as a host.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Best World Cup ever , by a country mile!!! No red cards for violent conduct, thanks to VAR, also the refs were not conned into giving penalties or sending people off.
juventuss wrote:Best World Cup IMHO.

Parity between the top teams and the rest has diminished. The quality of football was great. VAR VAR VAR. It was a much better outcome and will only get better. Russia surprised me as a host.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

vancity eagle wrote:I actually think it was the worst WC ever.

Too many Pks, too many own goals, too much VAR controversy. Too many set piece goals, not enough classical team play goals scored from open play.

Same here and i said this in another thread. Majority of the games were boring. Big teams out so I didn't bother watching many of the games . there are very moments I will remember from this mundial :cry:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Samora Machel wrote:

Same here and i said this in another thread. Majority of the games were boring. Big teams out so I didn't bother watching many of the games . there are very moments I will remember from this mundial :cry:

This is one of the main reasons this World Cup is one of the best ever. All the pundits including pastors were all exposed.
The statement is however very powerful and speaks to the mentality / colomentality brainwashing of many people including being interpreted in many negative ways. For example, teams like Nigeria, Mexico, Croatia etc have no business being there, advancing or beating the BIG TEAMS.

FYI : i judge you not. Only referring to the statement
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

blueangel wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:

This is one of the main reasons this World Cup is one of the best ever. All the pundits including pastors were all exposed.
The statement is however very powerful and speaks to the mentality / colomentality brainwashing of many people including being interpreted in many negative ways. For example, teams like Nigeria, Mexico, Croatia etc have no business being there, advancing or beating the BIG TEAMS.
O
FYI : i judge you not. Only referring to the statement

No chief say Panama are playing Japan. I mean really I have no interest in watching such a game. Traditionally I watch African teams and the big match ups but this time round I didn't watch at least half of the African games because I knew the outcome sadly :sad:

Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Dude, are you ever happy with anything in life? It must suck to be you. Get out and have some fun my friend. Btw, anyone noticed we had just one 0-0 game at this World Cup? France vs. Denmark. Best WC EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

So u people think a worldcup that had more goals from penalty kicks and free kicks than in open play os the best world cup ever. You guys are a joke. I think you have poor memories.

There weren't that many inspiring plays at this worldcup.

If you like games decided by set pieces, then this was a great worldcup. For those who would rather see goals from open play, it sucked.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

First game was 5-0 with some stunning goals the final game was 4-2 with great goals and loads of drama and great goals in between.

Plenty of fantastic goals. Cheresev against Saudi and Croatia, Pavard against Argentina, Nacho against Portugal, Musa's brace against Iceland, Ronaldo against Spain,
Chadli against Belgium, De Maria against France, Modric against Argentina, Inui against Belgium, Coutinho against Switzerland and many more. In the final alone there were three
stunning goals -- Perisic, Pogba and Mbappe.

Many compelling games, the best of which was Belgium V Japan and France V Argentina.

Two contenders for the best players of all time, Ronaldo and Messi (although the latter flopped). The host reaching the quarter finals. If you don't like this WC you must not like football.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I honestly can't remember a World Cup which bored me as much as this one.

The storylines surrounding the games were 10x more intriguing than the games themselves.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

marutimon wrote:I honestly can't remember a World Cup which bored me as much as this one.

The storylines surrounding the games were 10x more intriguing than the games themselves.
:D

camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

What I liked was the variety of football played, the tiki taka, the total football of Croatia, the counter attacking one of France and Belgium made it a n great world cup. Moreover team work outshined stars like Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

if anything, the absence of more field goals from open field speaks more to the leveling of the playing field that now exist in international football. Im eagerly looking forward to seeing countries like India, the Philippines in world cup. But it also goes to show that mindset, prejudice and self imprisonment were also significant factors and some nations benefited based on those factors in the history of the game. And it was great to see nations like mexico, south Korea and even Russia shed the old mental imprisonment which unfortunately still afflicts Nigeria via the manger
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Average, Europeans made it a borefest with their negative football and set pieces. But France played entertaining football, that why it is an average grade, not a failure.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

You’re seriously not well :roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.