EAGLES' Fans Are In Limbo!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet
EAGLES' Fans Are In Limbo!!

Post by Senator WIRES »

:shock: Several Nigerian fans are left stranded in Russia, after falling prey to a world cup scam.

@France24
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EAGLES' Fans Are In Limbo!!

Post by Kabalega »

Fraudsters scam Nigerians with Russia World Cup passes

By AFP

Added 13th July 2018 08:51 AM

Some Nigerians told AFP they used the official Fan IDs to come to Russia with the promise of finding work or even playing professional football themselves.
Ee 703x422

Fraudsters have tricked scores of Nigerians by selling them football World Cup fan passes to travel to Russia, leaving many stranded and penniless, victims and anti-trafficking campaigners say.

Some Nigerians told AFP they used the official Fan IDs to come to Russia with the promise of finding work or even playing professional football themselves.

Others said they came to watch World Cup matches but got stranded when their return plane tickets were cancelled by bogus travel agencies that booked them.

Ismail Olamilekan, 21, and his brother Sodiq, 25, said they paid 250,000 naira (600 euros, $700) each to a man in Lagos for their Fan IDs.

"The man told us that with the Fan ID we could get a job and stay here," Ismail told AFP at a hostel on the outskirts of Moscow.

"But when we got here we discovered that it was a fraud, that he had just collected the money and lied to us."

- 'Football career' -

The plastic-coated passes issued by the Russian government enable foreign fans to enter the country without a visa during the World Cup -- but they expire before the end of July.

They are issued free to fans who have bought tickets for World Cup matches. But some agents sold them to Nigerians who wanted to come to Russia to work.

It was not clear how the bogus agents obtained the Fan IDs that they sold.

A FIFA spokesman stressed that the Fan IDs system was implemented by the Russian communications ministry.

FIFA "continues to make efforts to identify and curb unauthorised ticket sales", he added.

The Olamilekan brothers spent about a thousand dollars each for their plane fare to Moscow, on top of what they paid separately to the agent.

"In Nigeria I play football. He told me that if I started working I can also start a (football) career in Russia," Ismail Olamilekan said.

- Nigerians 'stranded' -

A fellow Muslim was allowing the brothers to sleep in his hostel until their return flight on July 22.

Other Nigerians however found themselves stranded in Russia after fraudulent "agents" who booked return flights for them then cancelled the bookings to get a refund.

A group of about a dozen Nigerians waiting at Moscow's Vnukovo airport on Tuesday told AFP they had been sleeping there for days.

Some of them said they paid more than a million naira each to an agent for a package including flights, match tickets and a fan ID.

"We've been sleeping on the floor like fools. We've got no place to go," said Alonge Ademola, 35, a cement dealer from Lagos.

"We really do want to go back to our country. We've cried, we've wept, but still no solution."

Russian charity Alternativa said it had helped about 50 Nigerians stranded in Russia and estimated there were about 200 in difficulty overall.

"With globalisation the opportunities for criminals are also increasing. The Fan IDs make an extremely profitable business for them," said the group's spokeswoman, Yulia Siluyanova.

- 'Natural' problem -

Siluyanova told AFP on Thursday that the authorities in cooperation with Alternativa had made arrangements for about 20 stranded Nigerians to be flown back home.

Foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told a news briefing that the issue of stranded fans was "not desirable but it's also natural".

"It's really a problem that primarily the fans themselves should resolve along with diplomatic and consular missions of their countries," she said.

The Nigerian embassy did not respond to requests for comment.

"You can't rule out that some of the foreign guests, taking advantage of visiting the World Cup, are counting in some way or another, usually illegally, on crossing the Russian border and entering one of the European countries," Zakharova said.

"If such an action is recognised as illegal, the relevant authorities will take the necessary administrative measures."

- Lesson learnt -

The Olamilekan brothers meanwhile are waiting to board the return flights that they bought with money their parents borrowed.

"We don't have any option but to go back home and work and pay our parents' debts," Ismail said.

"I spoke to them last night. They asked if we've got a job and if we're living well and I decided to tell them yes. I don't like lying to my parents," he said.

"I still give thanks to God because He has taught me a lesson."

Source
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

If you came as a fan why would you think of anything else?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Daft! If you had advised them otherwise you would have been labelled a hater and dream blocker.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Dooby, dooby, doooooo!!!!
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

It appears that young Nigerians are desperate and such manipulations are commonplace. It is unfortunate that many are not well aware of the global community and immigration. Some of us are fortunate to have the means of learning about the world.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

They called something a FAN ID and you believed when someone told you that you can work with it. They deserved to be given the CHINA TREATMENT where you work hard-labor for your ticket before getting deported!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

scholl wrote:It appears that young Nigerians are desperate and such manipulations are commonplace.
It is unfortunate that many are not well aware of the global community and immigration.
Some of us are fortunate to have the means of learning about the world.
The highlighted says it all. :agree: :clap: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nothing beats being well informed, and you don't have to go to school to be.
At least, these guys ended up in Russia as opposed to being caught north of the Sahara desert.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...knowledge is power, in Nigeria money is power.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

I was surprised to meet so many Naijas illegally residing in the USSR. How una take penetrate this fortress without a valid visa? Some don dey there years b4 World Cup ! I hail o.

Then World Cup come. Great opportunity to enter Poland. Some take am enter Finland. Start the struggle to better your life.

However , some became fraud victims as stated by above article . Some even worse. My CE brother saw hundreds of Naija stranded at Moscow airport because someone sold them fake FanIDs in Naija.

Some enter USSR now with FanID and have no plan to comot even after World Cup.

The surprising thing I learned from Naija living there illegally is that Moscow police are kind and normally won’t deport you unless you do a crime
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Hmmmm......Cmoke, Naija nor dey carry last.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Cmoke wrote:I was surprised to meet so many Naijas illegally residing in the USSR. How una take penetrate this fortress without a valid visa? Some don dey there years b4 World Cup ! I hail o.

Then World Cup come. Great opportunity to enter Poland. Some take am enter Finland. Start the struggle to better your life.

However , some became fraud victims as stated by above article . Some even worse. My CE brother saw hundreds of Naija stranded at Moscow airport because someone sold them fake FanIDs in Naija.

Some enter USSR now with FanID and have no plan to comot even after World Cup.

The surprising thing I learned from Naija living there illegally is that Moscow police are kind and normally won’t deport you unless you do a crime
not according to this guy.
very interesting tweet.

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

One of my distance cousin called me one time and asked me to advice him on going to KAZAKHSTAN to study because someone is helping him with visa. I said KAZA-WHATY? are you crazy. But here is the funny part. He asked isn't that in south America near US ?

na so all these mugu they leave nyash open
Last edited by jette1 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

The tweet does not reflect reality of plenty Naija I met illegally residing in USSR for years!

They appear to be living freely and not in hiding as evidenced by how many of them show up for Timaya August 30 Moscow concert
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

jette1 wrote:One of my distance cousin called me one time and asked me to advice him on going to KAZAKHSTAN to study because someone is helping him with visa. I said KAZA-WHATY? are you crazy. But here is the funny part. He asked isn't that in south America new US ?

There you go. It is what i mentioned earlier. Nigerians are generally not worldly people. Even those with money are not very informed. They travel so they can brag on social media and show off to friends but, quite honestly, they return without knowing much about the culture or some sort of immersion into natural beauty.

Those who are desperate are just rolling the dice with anywhere better pass Naija.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

I used to work for an IGO which would hold conferences all over Africa. Year in and year out we would get more than 50 registrations from Nigerians with no remotely related professional background. They would sign up for conferences as a means to get visa to check out. Very embarrassing.

But it mirrors the real world tragedy of Nigerian economic collapse initiated by the Buhari administration. Many Nigerians are now running in droves just like in the 90s when Nigeria lost half it's university lecturers to other countries. I knew one high level banker who resigned, sold all her stuff and moved to Canada with her family. Another doctor I know through a friend quit and is now in the Usa.

Buhari change thanks to his polytechnic trained Finance Minister and abokism politics.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

joao wrote:
scholl wrote:It appears that young Nigerians are desperate and such manipulations are commonplace.
It is unfortunate that many are not well aware of the global community and immigration.
Some of us are fortunate to have the means of learning about the world.
The highlighted says it all. :agree: :clap: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nothing beats being well informed, and you don't have to go to school to be.
At least, these guys ended up in Russia as opposed to being caught north of the Sahara desert.
They refuse to be well informed. If you try to tell them the truth they call you a hater. They all use the internet and there is more than enough information there but all they see are the "riches" abroad.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

These are not fans. They were willing participants in an attempted scam, & have fallen victims to criminals.

Hopefully, they get some help in getting back home & twitter link from TFCO suggests that some steps have been taken in that direction.

Travelling out of the country is not that difficult for people who are willing to do things the right way and not cut corners.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/90129fd0-6 ... ht-to.html
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

jette1 wrote:One of my distance cousin called me one time and asked me to advice him on going to KAZAKHSTAN to study because someone is helping him with visa. I said KAZA-WHATY? are you crazy. But here is the funny part. He asked isn't that in south America near US ?

You are saying the truth .....the highlighted is proof that BLOOD DOES NOT LIE. :mrgreen:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

scholl wrote:
jette1 wrote:One of my distance cousin called me one time and asked me to advice him on going to KAZAKHSTAN to study because someone is helping him with visa. I said KAZA-WHATY? are you crazy. But here is the funny part. He asked isn't that in south America new US ?

There you go. It is what i mentioned earlier. Nigerians are generally not worldly people. Even those with money are not very informed. They travel so they can brag on social media and show off to friends but, quite honestly, they return without knowing much about the culture or some sort of immersion into natural beauty.

Those who are desperate are just rolling the dice with anywhere better pass Naija.
I doubt ignorance is the issue. Yes you do have the few who were misled but I believe most are those willing to take the gamble and they are aware of the consequences.

We generally have 'confidence' that we can always get away with anything. We take the 'Can Do Spirit' to the extreme. We have 'faith' that we will 'escape' the damning consequence of our actions. Some of those people are serial deportees :taunt: :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Putin don extend fabID validity until December 31, 2018.

They are also working on legislation to allow FanID holders to visit Russia with their families without visa wahala
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The entire fabric of Nigerian society is built on cutting corners, it is the norm rather than the exceptions.

So obviously ignorant and informed Nigerians alike will be inclined to cut corners, both in Nigeria and abroad.

Our country encourages cutting corners, or to be more politically correct, our nation does not offer enough deterrence for cutting corners.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Any comments Ron Atkinson?