Liberia (1) vs (2) Nigeria FT (Onyekuru, Nwankwo)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liberia (1) vs (2) Nigeria FT (Onyekuru, Nwankwo)

Post by metalalloy »

Cally wrote:I personally don't see anything so wrong with this. It was another opportunity for the players to spend time together, and play together. Granted, the opposition wasn't ideal, but I daresay that this is better than not coming together at all. I commend the honor done to George Weah, who is an African icon and legend.
People will always find something to whine and complain about. We played a ANCQ won and got a training match together to check out some players trying to break into the first team. Mission accomplished.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

You often wonder about the rationale behind some of the comments on this forum...CE brothers will complain and whine about everything under the sun!

I fully agree with you. I think honoring Opong Weah was more important than having a grade A friendly, especially when we had just played a competitive match.
I have had a chance to watch the Liberia game again and I thought it was a good run out for our boys, especially those fringe players. The objective was to give everyone on the squad some minutes and Rohr was successful in accomplishing that mission. Not only that, the Liberians were pleased that we came with a very competitive squad to honor George Weah and even he was appreciative of that. I am sure he wouldn't have had it any other way.

All in all, a very good gesture on the part of our NFF and a good workout for our boys, especially the fringe players.
Cally wrote:I personally don't see anything so wrong with this. It was another opportunity for the players to spend time together, and play together. Granted, the opposition wasn't ideal, but I daresay that this is better than not coming together at all. I commend the honor done to George Weah, who is an African icon and legend.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Baba all I can say is that God will bless you and yours whether una like am or not. I have nothing more to add as you have said it all.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

If the goal was to honor George Weah, then they should've said so from the beginning, not subject the SE to such a public ridicule!

What if one of the players got injured, what insurance would cover a game played under false pretences?

Otitokoro wrote:You often wonder about the rationale behind some of the comments on this forum...CE brothers will complain and whine about everything under the sun!

I fully agree with you. I think honoring Opong Weah was more important than having a grade A friendly, especially when we had just played a competitive match.
I have had a chance to watch the Liberia game again and I thought it was a good run out for our boys, especially those fringe players. The objective was to give everyone on the squad some minutes and Rohr was successful in accomplishing that mission. Not only that, the Liberians were pleased that we came with a very competitive squad to honor George Weah and even he was appreciative of that. I am sure he wouldn't have had it any other way.

All in all, a very good gesture on the part of our NFF and a good workout for our boys, especially the fringe players.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Otitokoro wrote:You often wonder about the rationale behind some of the comments on this forum...CE brothers will complain and whine about everything under the sun!

It is not a question about complaining. Lack of information is a terrible thing. It can cost lives. As far as everyone's concerned we a friendly was originally lined up with SA but changed to Liberia. How many here knew it was a novelty match? If we don't know then there's an issue. If the players don't know then there's an issue.
Playing as SE is an honor enough for Weah. It could have been an opportunity to try the lesser known players in the mix with one or 2 established players..

I won't say one opinion carries weight but we can all express our point of view.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

So it wasn’t a bit of banter, George Weah actually played in this game! What kind of nonsense.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Pajimoh,

I get the part about lack of information. The truth of the matter was that everyone, including most of the Liberians fans themselves, were completely in the dark about Weah playing that match. You should have heard the shock and surprise from the commentators when he disembarked the team bus.

Typically, if a match is played 'in someone's honor', that 'someone' is not expected to be a participant in the actual game. Nigeria went into this match believing it was a 'true friendly'. However, Weah had other ideas and wanted to prove to all that he still got what it takes.

Can't blame the NFF or the players for what happened. However, you make the best of whatever situation you find yourself. I believe our team did just that.

Note: I had a chance to watch the full match again yesterday and it wasn't as non-competitive as folks here have been making it out to be. I would urge CE folks to watch the game in its entirety and then come back and comment afterwards.
pajimoh wrote:

It is not a question about complaining. Lack of information is a terrible thing. It can cost lives. As far as everyone's concerned we a friendly was originally lined up with SA but changed to Liberia. How many here knew it was a novelty match? If we don't know then there's an issue. If the players don't know then there's an issue.
Playing as SE is an honor enough for Weah. It could have been an opportunity to try the lesser known players in the mix with one or 2 established players..

I won't say one opinion carries weight but we can all express our point of view.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

pajimoh wrote:It is not a question about complaining. Lack of information is a terrible thing. It can cost lives. As far as everyone's concerned we a friendly was originally lined up with SA but changed to Liberia. How many here knew it was a novelty match? If we don't know then there's an issue. If the players don't know then there's an issue.

Rohr and Pinnick are not stupid people. It's most likely George Weah hijacked the friendly game for his own purposes and sprang the surprise on them. Now you can choose to see that as being disrespectful, but what can we do about it now? We could complain but to what aim? I mean, it's not every day you arrange a friendly and the president of the country takes to the pitch to play. :rotf: So, it's just not the kind of thing you would even check for when arranging a friendly. The Liberians obviously wouldn't have wanted to lose at home to Nigeria, even for a ceremonial game, so IMO our players got a better workout than they would've gotten against a home 11 made of players from the NPFL.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Orion,
I couldn't have explained it any better. :thumbs:
Orion wrote: Rohr and Pinnick are not stupid people. It's most likely George Weah hijacked the friendly game for his own purposes and sprang the surprise on them. Now you can choose to see that as being disrespectful, but what can we do about it now? We could complain but to what aim? I mean, it's not every day you arrange a friendly and the president of the country takes to the pitch to play. :rotf: So, it's just not the kind of thing you would even check for when arranging a friendly. The Liberians obviously wouldn't have wanted to lose at home to Nigeria, even for a ceremonial game, so IMO our players got a better workout than they would've gotten against a home 11 made of players from the NPFL.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Posting the full match.
[/video]
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Orion, and thats why Africa is seldom taken seriously. Not only would Weah have sat in an executive box were the opposition Oyinbo, had he dared to take to the field, a Sergio Ramos would've taken him out early doors, ending the circus. At his age, a meaty challenge would've put him in the triage and retired his number 14 properly.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Ogu gave him a few 'meaty challenges' which he withstood.
This man was once the African, European and World player of the year and arguably, one of the most lethal strikers to have ever played the game. Most certainly, he certainly knows a thing or two about the game and how to hold his own, even at his advanced age.
Coach wrote:@Orion, and thats why Africa is seldom taken seriously. Not only would Weah have sat in an executive box were the opposition Oyinbo, had he dared to take to the field, a Sergio Ramos would've taken him out early doors, ending the circus. At his age, a meaty challenge would've put him in the triage and retired his number 14 properly.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Karius, concussed. Salah, dislocated. Ramos would've handled business appropriately. If Ogu gave him a meaty challenge and remained able bodied, then Ogu has surely played his way out of any further call ups.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

:) :)
Coach wrote:Karius, concussed. Salah, dislocated. Ramos would've handled business appropriately. If Ogu gave him a meaty challenge and remained able bodied, then Ogu has surely played his way out of any further call ups.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Orion wrote:
pajimoh wrote:It is not a question about complaining. Lack of information is a terrible thing. It can cost lives. As far as everyone's concerned we a friendly was originally lined up with SA but changed to Liberia. How many here knew it was a novelty match? If we don't know then there's an issue. If the players don't know then there's an issue.

Rohr and Pinnick are not stupid people. It's most likely George Weah hijacked the friendly game for his own purposes and sprang the surprise on them. Now you can choose to see that as being disrespectful, but what can we do about it now? We could complain but to what aim? I mean, it's not every day you arrange a friendly and the president of the country takes to the pitch to play. :rotf: So, it's just not the kind of thing you would even check for when arranging a friendly. The Liberians obviously wouldn't have wanted to lose at home to Nigeria, even for a ceremonial game, so IMO our players got a better workout than they would've gotten against a home 11 made of players from the NPFL.
I do not want to over flog this issue but someone has been made to look stupid. Was this ever a FIFA sanctioned friendly? If it was, can Weah participate in it and if it's not, it means we, as fans, were not informed and do such games require the full might of the SE?
The fact that we can be easily tricked means someone is not doing their job
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The ironic thing is that some of the SE players expressed on social media platforms how proud they were to play against the legend, George Weah.
I am happy
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Dammy wrote:The ironic thing is that some of the SE players expressed on social media platforms how proud they were to play against the legend, George Weah.
And so they should but the cards should have been on the table so they know and we know what kind of match it is. We should not be comfortable in unprofessional-ism because it feels good to us
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Weah, sporting a bit of a paunch these days, was therefore left to represent the political class and showed a few glimpses of the old quality. He played 79 minutes, Leicester’s Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho among his opponents, but not everybody felt fuzzy inside. One prominent Nigerian website casually described the affair as a “$hitshow” – in which the 51-year-old Weah was partnered by James Debbah, these days a sprightly 48, who manages the national team but fancied one last turn alongside his old chum. And it’s fair to say the reaction among Super Eagles followers has not been especially positive: apparently it’s not de rigeur to ask your players to fine-tune before big Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers by pussyfooting lightly around a lineup of veterans.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ia-nigeria
This was a farce.

The Saudi Arabia friendly was replaced by with an exhibition game.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:
In as much as I totlly agree with your sentiment, don't be surprised that there was some grand Liberian deception going on and even we were caught on the wrong foot.
Nor be only Nigerians dey do 4-one-9.

'Retiring' a jersey does not in itself require retired players on the pitch in a novelty match.
The impression could have been given that Weah would do a 5-minute appearance, kick off the match and retire to the state box to watch.
I am not entirely sure we were fully aware of the full plan as it played out like we are all assuming.

I really can't see why Pinnick would want to incur the backlash of our anger by knowingly going along with this stupid 4-one-9 plan.
Is he stupid? No.
Is he mad? Unlikely

Why would this therefore have been the secret plan all along?
If however it turns out it was, then heads need to roll.
Why always making excuses for Pinnick? We know the head that needs to roll, but let's keep quiet and keep accepting mediocrity.

We have come to accept that standards have been lowered for Pinnick and his administration, since they are doing us a favour, considering how 'bad' (AFCON champions and WC 2nd Round) Naija football was when he came into power.

Lest we forget, when Keshi was playing the so-called meaningless friendlies, :? he was called names, this one takes the biscuit.
I asked you a question weeks ago, I will charitably assume you didn't see it. So I will ask again:
Because we did stupid things in the past, should we continue with the stupidity in the name of 'consistency' and 'fairness'?
You seem to think we should.

You don't know the full circumstances of this farce, yet you are itching to be judge, jury and executioner all in one, which is itself stupid. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

You can spin this anyway you like but the match was a farce. The National team in preparation for up coming games should not be playing against 50 somethings.

I am sorry if you don't see anything wrong with what happened. The coaching staff need use the FIFA Windows to test and expose new players and playing 50 years was a complete and utter waste. I still fine hard to believe Nigeria was involved in such a match. It would have made sense for JJ & Kanu Taribo dem to have gone and played not our current squad. I hope this hasn't done too much commercial damage to the foot all teams brand. Having the best kit but play against 50'somethings
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

A guy was invited to a wedding. Upon arrival, he realized that it was actually a funeral. The dude didn't ask a question and frankly didn't care. He was just interested in ascertaining if the food was serve-yourself otherwise known as Buffet. Naijas we hail thee!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I feel that Nigerian officials were informed that this was an international friendly to honor George Weah. The NFF knew this prior to the game and they did speak on this. What I do not believe,however, is that they knew Weah would force himself into the game and somewhat I feel that the Liberian team may not have even known this until very close to game time.Who will dare tell him NO? :scared:

Personally, I do not believe the fact that Weah took the field suddenly nullified the game or prevented its sanction by FIFA. If Liberian FA believes that Weah can play a few minutes with their "A" national, what exactly can FIFA do about that? IMHO, absolutely nothing. I think Rohr and Nigerian officials were probably taken aback and decided to empty the bench making more than the six substitutions allowed in an international friendly.

That is just my tuppence. Was it a huge disappointment that the Super Eagles was playing against George Weah? Yes, but should they have refused the game the moment it became apparent that Weah would start the game? My answer is No. It was too late at that time.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Abeg, don’t mind them. It’s not like NFF didn’t schedule a friendly. They did but Saudi pulled out pretty much at the last minute. Liberia was not an ideal opponent with 2 fifty year olds starting but on the positive, it gave coach opportunity to take a closer look at onyekuru, Nwakali and other fringe players. Something is always better than nothing. Kudos to our boys once again for their service. Days like today remind one another example of what patriotism looks like.