Collins 'Barbwire' Ebitimii is Dead

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ojafranpa
Egg
Egg
Collins 'Barbwire' Ebitimii is Dead

Post by ojafranpa »

By Stephen Onyeukwu

Former Stationery Stores FC of Lagos defender, Ebitimi Collins, is dead.

The Ajegunle born player died after a brief illness, Per Second News gathered from associates.

Football is a game full of beauty. Wonder goals, slick passing, miraculous saves, mesmerizing dribbles and skill moves—poetry in motion if there was in sport. Not all players, however, approach the game with such care and respect. For Collins Ebitimi, rough pragmatism and sheer debauchery rule. Simply getting the job done takes precedence over aesthetics,—until someone gets hurt of course.

Collins, who was fondly called `barbwire` for his uncompromising style of play in his playing days, was a member of the golden years of the darling Lagos football club in the early 90’s.

The squad was notorious for its flair and unorthodox style of play. The team included Ganiyu Ajide, Teslim Fatusi, Arthur Moses, Julius Apelle, Ike Shorumi, Adeshina Shobayo, Precious Monye,Eddy Okoyomon, Ajibade Babalade.

The team won the league title in 1992 with Arthur Moses emerging as the top scorer. They however lost in the semi-final of the 1993 Champions cup to Zamalek.

He was a hard tackling and aggressive defender feared by strikers across the Nigerian football league.

Barbwire as he was fondly called obtained a notorious reputation in football circles for being a tough-tackling defender who loves a good foul.

In Barbwire’s world brutalism and physicality are valued over things like passing and more passing.

The soft spoken player is a different person off the field with friends saying he has a pleasant personality.

” He was very aggressive, I remember playing with him when he came to ilorin for trials with Kwara Utd, he was brutal with everybody, said a friend. ” That was the first time I met him….after that we played allstars at the National Stadium for sometime…I must say he has a good personality if you really get to know him

” He has a good personality off-field, said another fellow player. ” But he is “igbobi” on the field. Very aggressive and hard-tackling defender…..Even in training, he would not mind to take away your legs.

Fans and friends are writing farewell messages on the deceased Facebook page.

Don Kefe wrote, ” Rip to a veterant and friend of the allstars family. Only God knows where the bell will toll next, but we pray its far inbetween till very ripe ages.

” Barbwire sure deserve a solemn moment of respect and morning by the collective allstars family and football fraternity. My condolence to his family and everyone of us. God knows best.”

persecondnews.com
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Collins 'Barbwire' Ebitimii is Dead

Post by oloye »

Damn.....another warrior goes down. RIP Barbwire. I am lost for words....
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
RIP Barbwire !
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

RIP barbwire.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Barbwire The Hardman, Rest in Peace.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

RIP.
May God bless the family he left behind.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Commiserations to his family...
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Barbwire, Rest in Peace.

My brother told me so much about you from Principles Cup, then Stores.

RIP.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

oloye wrote:Damn.....another warrior goes down. RIP Barbwire. I am lost for words....
RIP
Stationery Stores my favorite team back in the day.

Least they could've done is include a picture of him and mentioned his age. Do you know?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

I remember watching this dude while playing SET off one of the streets about 2 blocks from Nat Stadium @ Ojuelegba. He was whistled for a foul against opposing strker. he proceeded to kick the ball so hard aiming for the head of the Lines man missing his head by a whisker while he was looking away. The linesman was also about 2 feet away from a concrete wall. If the ball had hit him,it coulda crashed his head against the wall and coulda been a DISASTER.... I was disgusted. Did not like him much after that...musta been 90 or 91
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Collins was one of the nicest guys off the field. Back in the day i would entertain the boys in my house and then off to the club after games, especially the ones we have travailed the Nigerian.league together from the lower rungs and now made it to the top, we had some kind of strong bond, one that seems to say we made it to the top together.

Collins was lively and very funny, the guy who hardly says anything on the field suddenly comes alive.

Even after the game he remained sensitive, some 5 years ago, i received a.call from him out of the blues, he got my nunmber from someone and decided to give me a call just to hear my voice, he would call from time to time and we would chat. I have since found out that i was not the only one he did this to.

The personality of Collins reminds me of myself, the image i had on the field was a total contrast to the one off it,many struggle to reconcile the two.

Collins was a genuine likeable person, back in the day and in the game ,intimidation of the opponent was part of the deal,in a game where you are psyched up and told going into the field meant war. You need an image to go with it, many players like Collins, Omokaro, Eboigbe and yes even myself carved an image to mask an underlying softness.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

RIP Egbon " Babu Wire ".
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

The real deal wrote:I remember watching this dude while playing SET off one of the streets about 2 blocks from Nat Stadium @ Ojuelegba. He was whistled for a foul against opposing strker. he proceeded to kick the ball so hard aiming for the head of the Lines man missing his head by a whisker while he was looking away. The linesman was also about 2 feet away from a concrete wall. If the ball had hit him,it coulda crashed his head against the wall and coulda been a DISASTER.... I was disgusted. Did not like him much after that...musta been 90 or 91

Rest in Peace, Barbwire. Was known as a genuinely nice fella. Thanks for your contributions to Naija soccer.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

oloye wrote:Collins was one of the nicest guys off the field. Back in the day i would entertain the boys in my house and then off to the club after games, especially the ones we have travailed the Nigerian.league together from the lower rungs and now made it to the top, we had some kind of strong bond, one that seems to say we made it to the top together.

Collins was lively and very funny, the guy who hardly says anything on the field suddenly comes alive.

Even after the game he remained sensitive, some 5 years ago, i received a.call from him out of the blues, he got my nunmber from someone and decided to give me a call just to hear my voice, he would call from time to time and we would chat. I have since found out that i was not the only one he did this to.

The personality of Collins reminds me of myself, the image i had on the field was a total contrast to the one off it,many struggle to reconcile the two.

Collins was a genuine likeable person, back in the day and in the game ,intimidation of the opponent was part of the deal,in a game where you are psyched up and told going into the field meant war. You need an image to go with it, many players like Collins, Omokaro, Eboigbe and yes even myself carved an image to mask an underlying softness.
Thanks for this, Oga Oloye.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."