#MeToo after Cristiano Ronaldo?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
lionga
Egg
Egg
#MeToo after Cristiano Ronaldo?

Post by lionga »

Na wa oh! :|

http://www.espn.com/soccer/cristiano-ro ... gal-report

Cristiano Ronaldo's lawyers threaten lawsuit over 'illegal' report

Lawyers for Cristiano Ronaldo said on Friday they would sue German magazine Der Spiegel after it published "blatantly illegal" accusations by an American woman who alleges she was raped by the Portuguese football star in 2009.

Ronaldo's lawyer Christian Schertz said in a statement through the Juventus midfielder's management company Gestifute that the report was "inadmissible" and that he would seek legal redress for his client from the magazine.

"[The report] violates the personal rights of our client Cristiano Ronaldo in an exceptionally serious way," Shertz's statement said. "This is an inadmissible reporting of suspicions in the area of privacy. It would therefore already be unlawful to reproduce this reporting.

"We have been instructed to immediately assert all existing claims under press law against [Der Spiegel], in particular compensation for moral damages in an amount corresponding to the gravity of the infringement, which is probably one of the most serious violations of personal rights in recent years."

The magazine said the alleged rape took place in June 2009 in a hotel room in Las Vegas, according to Leslie Mark Stovall, lawyer for the complainant, Kathryn Mayorga.

Ronaldo and Mayorga then reached an out-of-court agreement, according to Stovall as reported in the magazine.

It said, according to Stovall, that she had pledged never to speak of the accusation again and Ronaldo paid her $375,000.

"[Mayorga] was sexually assaulted in June 2009 by an individual named Cristiano Ronaldo," Stovall said in a video published online by Der Spiegel.

The German magazine had previously reported on the accusation in April 2017, with Gestifute calling that report "journalistic fiction."

A call and email by ESPN to Stovall were not immediately returned.

Reuters was not able to independently verify Mayorga's allegations.

Stoval also told Der Spiegel that he had filed a civil complaint seeking to declare the non-disclosure agreement void.

However, a court records search by ESPN did not find whether a complaint had been filed in Nevada.

The magazine's Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Alfred Weinzierl, told Reuters that Der Spiegel had repeatedly written to Ronaldo's management and lawyers about the allegations before publishing its report.

"We sent written questions, to which there were no answers. Nobody sued us in connection with earlier Ronaldo reports," he told Reuters.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: #MeToo after Cristiano Ronaldo?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

#MeToo movement is coming to CE next. Always wondered what happened to the few female cybers we ever had.

MODS......oya begin dey confess. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Assuming it happened as claimed, why now after the woman has been paid $375,000.00?

Alright, while at it, let's get ALL the Black women who were RAPED by White men 30yrs, 40yrs, 50yrs and even 60yrs ago in the Plantations or farms to come-out and narrate their ugly ordeals as well. This time, I hope they (the Black women) are given equal media coverage as is being done for the White women.
Last edited by Odas on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

A woman in a hotel room in Las Vegas.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Odas wrote:Assuming it happened as claimed, why now after the woman has been paid $375,000.00?

Alright, while at it, less get ALL the Black women who were RAPED by White men 30yrs, 40yrs, 50yrs and even 60yrs ago in the Plantations or farms to come-out and narrate their ugly ordeals as well. This time, I hope they (the Black women) are given equal media coverage as is being done for the White women..

To be fair, Bill Cosby is in prison partly because of the testimony given by women (black and white) that he drugged and violated sexually.
Sexual abuse is one of the oldest crimes in humanity, and for too long, powerful men have gotten away with abusing those that cannot defend themselves (including young girls and boys). I dont think we should bring race into this. If any allegations are made against CR7, they must be taken seriously and investigated, and if a crime is found, prosecuted, if no crime found, his name must be cleared openly and publicly.

Its time for men (especially powerful men) to stop this cycle of abuse without consequences,...full stop!
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

charlie wrote:
Odas wrote:Assuming it happened as claimed, why now after the woman has been paid $375,000.00?

Alright, while at it, less get ALL the Black women who were RAPED by White men 30yrs, 40yrs, 50yrs and even 60yrs ago in the Plantations or farms to come-out and narrate their ugly ordeals as well. This time, I hope they (the Black women) are given equal media coverage as is being done for the White women..
To be fair, Bill Cosby is in prison partly because of the testimony given by women (black and white) that he drugged and violated sexually.
Sexual abuse is one of the oldest crimes in humanity, and for too long, powerful men have gotten away with abusing those that cannot defend themselves (including young girls and boys). I dont think we should bring race into this. If any allegations are made against CR7, they must be taken seriously and investigated, and if a crime is found, prosecuted, if no crime found, his name must be cleared openly and publicly.

Its time for men (especially powerful men) to stop this cycle of abuse without consequences,...full stop!
No! Cosby is NOT in prison because of the testimony of several women, rather he is in prison MAINLY because of the deposition taken from him in the past. In the deposition in question, he admitted to drugging a woman (not women) and the content of the deposition was used against him in this last case.

Again, if we are going to go as far back as 10, 20, 30 or 40yrs ago, let's go back all the way to 60 years ago when Black women were RAPED with impunity by White man. There is no doubt the victims are still feeling the pain to date.

The Black women were also sexually violated.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Alright, while at it, less get ALL the Black women who were RAPED by White men 30yrs, 40yrs, 50yrs and even 60yrs ago in the Plantations or farms to come-out and narrate their ugly ordeals as well. This time, I hope they (the Black women) are given equal media coverage as is being done for the White women.
There is a legal argument and a moral argument.
We all know that power, influence and money all have a heavy influence on legal judgement.
Moral judgment however, is affected by none of these.

So the fact that she has been legally bound to remain silent by receiving $375,000 in no way proves that the crime never happened. In fact, it suggests it possibly, if not probably, did....which is what we should be more interested in.

You wouldn't let an accused rapist or armed robber spend the night in your house becos he has been able to pay off a key witness with money.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Not sure if true, esp as there are rumours that Fake Ron is a fake hetero.
http://www.naijiant.com/
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

joplass wrote:A woman in a hotel room in Las Vegas.
ol boi eno matter if na your wife for inside your bedroom; if the woman say you rape am thats all that matters
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk wrote:

Alright, while at it, let's get ALL the Black women who were RAPED by White men 30yrs, 40yrs, 50yrs and even 60yrs ago in the Plantations or farms to come-out and narrate their ugly ordeals as well. This time, I hope they (the Black women) are given equal media coverage as is being done for the White women.
We all know that power, influence and money all have a heavy influence on legal judgement.

So the fact that she has been legally bound to remain silent by receiving $375,000 in no way proves that the crime never happened. In fact, it suggests it possibly, if not probably, did....which is what we should be more interested in.

You wouldn't let an accused rapist or armed robber spend the night in your house becos he has been able to pay off a key witness with money.
... then the victim shouldn't accept the offer to settle the matter out of court. Once the victim accepts the offer to settle, it's all is over.

For example, a company discriminates against you and the proof is there. You raise alarm (complain) about it and the company pays you off. Why should you come back - years later - to want to fight the discrimination, again?
Last edited by Odas on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote:
joplass wrote:A woman in a hotel room in Las Vegas.
ol boi eno matter if na your wife for inside your bedroom; if the woman say you rape am thats all that matters
Bros Jette1: I have to disagree with you on this one. What you stated is one of the believes causing problems in marriages today. A husband wants to do something and the wife says "no." Then the husband "steals" it. In the end, the husband has RAPED his wife. On the other hand, when the wife does the same thing, it is ok.

My position in all of these is: A woman should not get married if she is into it to RULE (control) her husband, or to ruin a man's life because of sex. He steals it; trouble, he goes out to get it elsewhere, then he is a "cheater." Wow! What has the world become?

The "average man" out there needs SEX and FOOD, else "troble go pontulize", according to Zebrudayia.
Last edited by Odas on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Odas wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Alright, while at it, less get ALL the Black women who were RAPED by White men 30yrs, 40yrs, 50yrs and even 60yrs ago in the Plantations or farms to come-out and narrate their ugly ordeals as well. This time, I hope they (the Black women) are given equal media coverage as is being done for the White women.

Odas wrote:... then don't accept the offer, or to settle the matter out of court. Once the victim accepts the offer to settle, then all is over.
I was referring to you, an observer, not the money-compromised victim

Odas wrote:For example, a company discriminates against you and the proof is there. You raise alarm (complain) about it and the company pays you off. Why should you come back years later to want to fight the discrimination - again?
Why not?
If it happened it happened and no amount of money can change that fact. I dont thik its actually a crime to breach your silence agreement (I could be wrong). Worst case, you open yourself up to serious legal redress, but the truth will still come out.
But for observers like you and I, our interest should be in whether it actually happened or not i.e. the true facts, not in the legally altered 'truth'.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk wrote:
Odas wrote:
Damunk wrote:

... then don't accept the offer, or to settle the matter out of court. Once the victim accepts the offer to settle, then all is over.

For example, a company discriminates against you and the proof is there. You raise alarm (complain) about it and the company pays you off. Why should you come back years later to want to fight the discrimination - again?
Why not?
If it happened it happened and no amount of money can change that fact.

As an observer, your interest should be in whether it actually happened or not i.e. the true facts, not in the legally altered 'truth'.
Chief Damunk: The thing is, we don't know if it happened or not. Assuming it happened, how did it happen? Was it one of those casual encounters and one thing led to another, or did it happen violently? No matter which category the issue might fall into, the thing is: You have been PAID and that should be the end of it all.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Odas wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Odas wrote:
Damunk wrote:

... then don't accept the offer, or to settle the matter out of court. Once the victim accepts the offer to settle, then all is over.

For example, a company discriminates against you and the proof is there. You raise alarm (complain) about it and the company pays you off. Why should you come back years later to want to fight the discrimination - again?
Why not?

As an observer, your interest should be in whether it actually happened or not i.e. the true facts, not in the legally altered 'truth'.
Chief Damunk: The thing is, we don't know if it happened or not. Assuming it happened, how did it happen? Was it one of those casual encounters and one thing led to another, or did it happen violently? No matter which category the issue might fall into, the thing is: You have been PAID and that should be the end of it all.
Yes, I get you, but my comments are strictly from an observer's point of view, not from the alleged 'victim's.
Even your questions demonstrate that you'd like to know the true facts of what occurred, regardless of the fact that the victim has been legally silenced.
If dem wan talk weytin really happen, you go close ear? :rotf:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Papers seem scared to run the story.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk wrote:
Odas wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Odas wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Why not?

Yes, I get you, but my comments are strictly from an observer's point of view, not from the alleged 'victim's.
Even your questions demonstrate that you'd like to know the true facts of what occurred, regardless of the fact that the victim has been legally silenced.
If dem wan talk weytin really happen, you go close ear? :rotf:
No naw! How I go close ears? I go wan hear the tin well-well :tic: :tic:
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

BBC reporting that Ronaldo and his lawyer are claiming 'Fake News', and are
readying to sue German magazine Der Spiegel.
We need to please tone down on judging RON till all the facts are in.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

joao wrote:BBC reporting that Ronaldo and his lawyer are claiming 'Fake News', and are
Really? Meanwhile if na Nigeria now dem parade person for front of camera, you for begin dey hail EFCC.

See ya life? :woot:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

cchinukw wrote:
joao wrote:BBC reporting that Ronaldo and his lawyer are claiming 'Fake News', and are
Really? Meanwhile if na Nigeria now dem parade person for front of camera, you for begin dey hail EFCC.

See ya life? :woot:
Please show one instant that I had jumped the gun with relations to your accusation.

E be like say you just dey wake up o, after heavy apeteshi party.
When your coconut head clear, make you come beg for forgiveness.
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

They also threatened to sue in 2017. Have you read the new Der Spiegel article? If they have the documentation to back up the story that they claim, Ronaldo will be in a serious pickle.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

CR7 is in serious yawa

He won't be coming to play in MLS or vacation in the USA anytime soon by the looks of this piece
Her Name Is Kathryn
The Woman Who Accuses Ronaldo of Rape
An American woman claims Cristiano Ronaldo raped her in Las Vegas. Years ago, the soccer star paid her to remain silent. Now, the woman is going public for the first time and filing a complaint against Ronaldo. She possesses a document that could be extremely dangerous for him. By DER SPIEGEL Staff

She was supposed to be invisible, damned to silence. Forever. Nobody was to ever learn about that night in Las Vegas back in 2009, especially not her version of events.

She even signed a settlement deal and received a payoff ensuring that she would never give voice to the accusations.

She signed, she says, out of fear for herself and her family. And out of impotence, the inability to stand up to him. And out of the hope that she could finally put the incident behind her. But, says Kathryn Mayorga, she was never able to close that chapter.

The American is a slender 34-year-old with long, dark hair and green eyes. Until recently, she worked at an elementary school. But she quit, she says, "because I need all my strength now."

She needs the strength to stand up to the man who she accuses of having raped her nine years ago -- accusations that he denies.

The man isn't just anybody. It is Cristiano Ronaldo, arguably the best soccer player in the world, with vast amounts of success, money and adoration from the fans. An anonymous woman versus Ronaldo -- the discrepancy could hardly be greater.

They met on June 12, 2009 in a Las Vegas nightclub. Ronaldo was there on vacation with his brother-in-law and cousin. It was the summer when the star, then 24, would transfer from Manchester United to Real Madrid for a then-record sum of 94 million euros.

Kathryn Mayorga, 25 at the time, was a budding model and one of her jobs was to hang out with other young, beautiful women in front of bars to lure in guests.

On that Friday in June, the paths of the model and the multimillionaire crossed in the VIP section of Rain, a nightclub belonging to Palms Casino Resort. Paparazzi photos show Mayorga standing close to Ronaldo and talking. He is wearing a white shirt with a narrow black tie and she is in a light gray dress with gold jewelry. He plays it cool while she beams at him. Within hours, the gossip pages around the world would be busying themselves with trying to figure out who this "mysterious brunette" is at Ronaldo's side. The party continued in the early morning hours in Ronaldo's penthouse in the nearby Hotel Palms Place. And only two people know what happened in the bedroom there: Kathryn Mayorga and Cristiano Ronaldo.

What is clear is that the soccer star paid Mayorga $375,000 a few months later as part of an out-of-court settlement. In exchange, Mayorga signed an agreement to never talk about her accusations that Cristiano Ronaldo had raped her.

A Perfidious Accusation

DER SPIEGEL reported on the non-disclosure agreement for the first time in spring 2017. The documents pertaining to the agreement were made available to the newsmagazine by the whistleblowing platform Football Leaks. In the reporting for that article, DER SPIEGEL contacted Mayorga, who appears in the story under the pseudonym Susan K. "No comment," was her response. When journalists encountered her in front of her home, she ran away.

When the first article appeared, Ronaldo's agency Gestifute released a statement saying, "the article is nothing but a piece of journalistic fiction." The statement continued: "The newspaper has based their entire narrative on documents which are unsigned and where the parties are not identified."

That portrayal is incorrect.

Numerous documents in DER SPIEGEL's possession prove as much, including some which have been signed by Ronaldo himself. The existence of those documents could help explain why he has not, in the last year-and-a-half, followed up on his threats to take DER SPIEGEL to court. In its public statement, Gestifute also discredited the alleged victim, saying she "refuses to come forward and confirm the veracity of the accusation."

It is a perfidious accusation. After all, the key element of the out-of-court settlement was that Mayorga was not allowed to comment on the incident. Should she do so, according to the deal, she would have to pay the money back to Ronaldo and possibly damages as well.

Now, though, she has decided to talk anyway, telling her story in detail for the first time. Why? What made her change her mind?

Essentially, there are three reasons. First, she has a new lawyer, one who is both experienced and unflinching. He believes the non-disclosure agreement is not legally binding and he has filed a civil complaint against Ronaldo in Kathryn Mayorga's name. That complaint is supported by a 27-page document that could have far-reaching consequences for the football star. The document contains a version of how Ronaldo experienced that night, including the following quote: "She said no and stop several times."

Second, the world has changed for women who claim to have been the victim of sexual assault. One year ago, accusations against the American movie producer Harvey Weinstein were made public. According to those claims, he spent decades harassing, molesting or even raping women. Weinstein denies the accusations.

Money, Power and Fame

Once the scandal went public, the American actress Alyssa Milano encouraged women who have experienced sexual harassment to go public under the hashtag #MeToo.

Tens of thousands of women did so, changing the societal climate in the process. It has since become much more difficult for politicians, lawyers and the general public to ignore and play down sexual violence against women, particularly in cases where the suspected perpetrator possesses money, power and fame.

The #MeToo movement has also given many victims more courage and self-confidence. Mayorga is one of them. She says she has spent many hours in front of her computer reading the stories of other women.

The third reason is that she sees it as the only chance to learn whether there are other women out there who say they were sexually abused by Ronaldo. "It's something I've always wondered about," she says.

It's a few weeks ago in Las Vegas and Kathryn Mayorga is sitting at a long, dark conference table in the offices of her lawyer together with her mother Cheryl Mayorga and her therapist.

Kathryn is wearing black overalls and long, turquoise earrings. She has made herself up carefully, but the makeup can't completely disguise the tiredness in her eyes. For the last week, she says, she has been having trouble sleeping.

She seems exhausted, but she is also extremely nervous. Her eyes bounce around the room as she repeatedly brushes back her hair.

Mayorga takes a deep breath. First, she wants to talk about her fears as she takes this next step and the words begin pouring out of her. "It's a pretty famous guy. So I'm terrified. I'm scared." She is worried that someone might do something to her, that the media and Ronaldo's fans won't leave her alone. "The reason why I signed the contract in the first place (was) because I didn't want my name out there."

She starts to cry, her breaths coming in shallow bursts. She rolls back in her heavy leather chair and buries her face in her hands. Her therapist is concerned, and they withdraw to a neighboring room for half an hour.

Her mother Cheryl, 66, remains behind, a diminutive woman with dark hair pulled up in a bun. She chooses her words carefully. "It's never left her. Every day, she lives it," she says. "There were times when she would call me and his -- he would be on a billboard or whatever, and she would just completely disintegrate. Having to walk into a store to get a pint of milk, and you've got his picture everywhere. (...) He's the soccer god that everybody thinks is just perfect and flawless. (...) And she can't even get out of bed some days." Cheryl Mayorga shakes her head. "It's just wrong. We're behind her 100 percent."

The rest is here

http://www.spiegel.de/international/cri ... 30634.html

--------------------------------------------
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

kalani JR wrote:Papers seem scared to run the story.
Nope. They definitely aren't scared. They sourced up well and seem to have strong enough backing that they've run the details of the story and are daring CR7 to come for them. They seem ready for a battle.

F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

cic old boy wrote:Not sure if true, esp as there are rumours that Fake Ron is a fake hetero.
Probably more realistic that he is Bi.