Where do the goals come from?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

donadoni
Egg
Egg
Where do the goals come from?

Post by donadoni »

I was reading the post about Ighalo and it struck me that for quite a few years now we have had concerns about our goal scoring department. We keep looking for new strikers because the ones we have don’t deliver. No sooner has a forward started with our team someone is listing 19 or 20 year olds who should replace him and so on. We wonder “where will the goals come from”?

Yet in the golden years our problem was too many exciting strikers. And moreover the goals could come from many places in addition to the forwards. We defensive frailties but we were known as an exciting attacking team. We had forwards that the opposition would worry about.

The question is what has changed?

We could talk about lack of service from attacking midfield, but still we have to admit that we don’t have forwards that instill fear into opponents like a yekini or amokachi did.

We could talk about Rohr but this problem predates him

Sometimes our youth teams still display the kind of exciting, high energy attack we once had but this no longer translates into our super eagles

Curious as to people’s thoughts on this
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Where do the goals come from?

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Sometimes I think this problem with the strikers is overstated. The problem may be that our midfield does not create enough chances.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that our strikers are world class, but if you are going to play a defensive brand of football like we did against Croatia and Argentina at the WC, you better have a Suarez or Cavani to finish one of the two or three chances you will create all game.

Wha choo looking at?!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

That was why i clamoured for Ebere Eze to be invited but sime ITKs including the one above me think he isnt good enough. Good luck enjoying some heart attack ball 2moro. Rhor invited only 4 midfielders in a must win game and you wonder why some of us want him gone.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Bret-Hart,
While the prospects of having Ebere Eze in the squad is great (for the future), truth is, based on his displays this season, I really don't think he would offer anything dramatically different from what we have.
He plays as a support striker / AM at QPR and is not exactly consistent (based on the several games I have seen him play). Don't get me wrong...I think he is a good player but not good enough for the SE at this point in time - certainly not as good as Kelechi Iheanacho or Alex Iwobi or Mikel playing in that position. Not sure he would solve the striking problems we are facing.

The issue is Rohr's insistence on playing Ms. Ighalo who offers nothing tangible upfront, from a goal scoring perspective.
bret- hart wrote:That was why i clamoured for Ebere Eze to be invited but sime ITKs including the one above me think he isnt good enough. Good luck enjoying some heart attack ball 2moro. Rhor invited only 4 midfielders in a must win game and you wonder why some of us want him gone.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

The truth is what it is. As of today there are no consistent goslscorers scoring in a medium-high quality league, week in week out. It’s one of the biggest weaknesses of the current SE crop, as is the goalkeeping position.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bret- hart wrote:That was why i clamoured for Ebere Eze to be invited but sime ITKs including the one above me think he isnt good enough. Good luck enjoying some heart attack ball 2moro. Rhor invited only 4 midfielders in a must win game and you wonder why some of us want him gone.
The irony is that many could justifiably call YOU an ITK, clamoring for a young 20year old that hasn't even kicked an international ball in anger in his entire life - not even at junior level.
Yet you want him to stroll in and mix it up with seasoned Africans just like that.

Na beans? :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Damunk wrote:
The irony is that many could justifiably call YOU an ITK, clamoring for a young 20year old that hasn't even kicked an international ball in anger in his entire life - not even at junior level.
Yet you want him to stroll in and mix it up with seasoned Africans just like that.

Na beans? :lol:

How old was JJ and Kanu when they made their debut for the Super Eagles??? How old was Oliseh when he started playing for Nigeria? They were barely 20 yet the shone and went on to become legends. This boy is good enough to play in a Nigerian team that has 0 attacking midfielders. He is playing better than Etebo who plays in the same division. You are not making any sense. Also must he play youth football before playing for Nigeria? Again you aren't making any sense.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Otitokoro wrote:Bret-Hart,
While the prospects of having Ebere Eze in the squad is great (for the future), truth is, based on his displays this season, I really don't think he would offer anything dramatically different from what we have.
He plays as a support striker / AM at QPR and is not exactly consistent (based on the several games I have seen him play). Don't get me wrong...I think he is a good player but not good enough for the SE at this point in time - certainly not as good as Kelechi Iheanacho or Alex Iwobi or Mikel playing in that position. Not sure he would solve the striking problems we are facing.

The issue is Rohr's insistence on playing Ms. Ighalo who offers nothing tangible upfront, from a goal scoring perspective.

He is still playing better than Etebo. And even if he is young, you still cap him and thus not worry about losing him to England. We lose nothing by capping this guy now. But hey he is isn't good enough but we keep inviting DMs and expect us to breakdown a Libyan team that is going to put 10men behind the ball. Ok o.

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

My brother,
I really don't believe he is playing better than Etebo. For one, defensively, he is not anywhere as good as Etebo at this point in time. Secondly, he is far from consistent. If you watch him play for QPR, there are patches in the game where he is MIA. He is a flashy player, no doubt, but his consistency is suspect and at international level, you have to show up for 90 mins.

Kid is not the finished product and I wouldn't be worried about England - they have far too many people ahead of him that it would be difficult to justify his inclusion at this point in time to the England squad.
bret- hart wrote:

He is still playing better than Etebo. And even if he is young, you still cap him and thus not worry about losing him to England. We lose nothing by capping this guy now. But hey he is isn't good enough but we keep inviting DMs and expect us to breakdown a Libyan team that is going to put 10men behind the ball. Ok o.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Agents
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Otitokoro wrote:My brother,
I really don't believe he is playing better than Etebo. For one, defensively, he is not anywhere as good as Etebo at this point in time. Secondly, he is far from consistent. If you watch him play for QPR, there are patches in the game where he is MIA. He is a flashy player, no doubt, but his consistency is suspect and at international level, you have to show up for 90 mins.

Kid is not the finished product and I wouldn't be worried about England - they have far too many people ahead of him that it would be difficult to justify his inclusion at this point in time to the England squad.
bret- hart wrote:

LEAVE AM.
He thinks he is "making sense" - more sense than everyone else collectively.

Comparing him to King Kanu who was already a Champion's League medal winner at 19 and African Footballer of the Year at 20. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or is it JJ that at 22 had already become the most expensive African player of all time?

Talent get levels.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

the discussion over the non inclusion of Eze in the World Cup squad has to be a joke. I think Rohr took more less the best players at the time I would only fault the inclusion of both Akpeyi & Ighalo but Eze base on what????? This guy can’t even make England’s under 21 squad
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Flex Swift wrote:the discussion over the non inclusion of Eze in the World Cup squad has to be a joke. I think Rohr took more less the best players at the time I would only fault the inclusion of both Akpeyi & Ighalo but Eze base on what????? This guy can’t even make England’s under 21 squad
They are arguing that Eze should be invited to the current squad, not the World Cup squad.
Even then, he isnt yet at a point where he should be an automatic choice.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Damunk wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:the discussion over the non inclusion of Eze in the World Cup squad has to be a joke. I think Rohr took more less the best players at the time I would only fault the inclusion of both Akpeyi & Ighalo but Eze base on what????? This guy can’t even make England’s under 21 squad
They are arguing that Eze should be invited to the current squad, not the World Cup squad.
Even then, he isnt yet at a point where he should be an automatic choice.
Oh I missed read the earlier comments. The search continues for creative midfielders: Nididi, Etebo, Ogu Onazi are all defensive minded players the last time we fielded Etebo, Onazi and Nididi we lost at home. It would have been a huge risk to call up and play Eze in a must win game having never played at this level. I have only watched him for QPR once this season and I dozed off ...as the game was very boring and only watched it because he was playing. I would like to see him in some friendlies
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Personally I do not think Nigeria lacks a clinical goal scorer. We have one - Iheanacho. However, he just does not have the skill to play as a lone striker in Rohr's system. The point is that it isn't just focusing on the player or attacking midfielder but also the system currently in use.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Enugu II wrote:Personally I do not think Nigeria lacks a clinical goal scorer. We have one - Iheanacho. However, he just does not have the skill to play as a lone striker in Rohr's system. The point is that it isn't just focusing on the player or attacking midfielder but also the system currently in use.
Professor, you have said it all! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wha choo looking at?!