Why are SE fans so entitled?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Why are SE fans so entitled?

Post by john12 »

We have just beaten a decent African team home and away 4-0 and 2-3 and instead of fans applauding the coach, they’re criticizing him. The problem I have with these delusional fans is that they want to eat their cake and have it. You cannot criticize our coach when we beat Libya comfortably while praising the players but also criticize the coach again when we lose and exonerate the players
1) football is 90 mins
2) we just beat Libya home and away
3) we have likely qualified for ANC
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why are SE fans so entitled?

Post by green4life »

I hear you my brother but his game management today was very poor. He was bailed out by the players today no doubt. Did you watch the game?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:We have just beaten a decent African team home and away 4-0 and 2-3 and instead of fans applauding the coach, they’re criticizing him. The problem I have with these delusional fans is that they want to eat their cake and have it. You cannot criticize our coach when we beat Libya comfortably while praising the players but also criticize the coach again when we lose and exonerate the players
1) football is 90 mins
Fans >>>>fanatics >>>>>???objectivity????

Allow us to rewatch the game "without tension" and you are GUARANTEED a more balanced reaction. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

green4life wrote:I hear you my brother but his game management today was very poor. He was bailed out by the players today no doubt. Did you watch the game?
Players bailing a coach out? Wow, that’s a new one to me. Did someone else select the team?
OCCUPY NFF!!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
green4life wrote:I hear you my brother but his game management today was very poor. He was bailed out by the players today no doubt. Did you watch the game?
Players bailing a coach out? Wow, that’s a new one to me. Did someone else select the team?
At times, I too, will rather be lucky than good, but Rohr was bailed out by Ighalo's individual qualities today. Then at the last minute, he makes a sub during a set piece which caused us to defend the FK with 1 man down. Talk about a self-inflicted gunshot. Then you have the matter of the midfield and team overall playing out of a recognizable shape (i.e. shapeless) most of the game even as time was winding down.

I gave him credit in the first leg even when most still criticized him and I'm definitely one for continuity but the man needs to improve his game management. Our ambition is to WIN in Africa. It's one thing to talk about going to a WC to 'learn', but that line of reasoning won't work in Africa. The super eagles have expectations especially within Africa and it's not changing any time soon. As I watched the game today, I kept thinking about the Argentina loss some months ago: It's like he was waiting for Libya to get something from the game (a draw would've been a very good result for them today give SA unexpectedly dropped points) before desperately tossing legs onto the pitch and it almost happened if not for Ighalo.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

john12 wrote:We have just beaten a decent African team home and away 4-0 and 2-3 and instead of fans applauding the coach, they’re criticizing him. The problem I have with these delusional fans is that they want to eat their cake and have it. You cannot criticize our coach when we beat Libya comfortably while praising the players but also criticize the coach again when we lose and exonerate the players
1) football is 90 mins
Of course one can criticise the coach. For letting a two goal advantage slip through his fingers and for being totally bereft of ideas during Libya's second half onslaught and then only making the necessary change once they had scored an equaliser which we all knew was inevitable. And let's not talk about that last minute sub when defending a free kick - amateurish!

The win is great but if you can't see the problems that were laid bare then you're truly deluded.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

green4life wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
At times, I too, will rather be lucky than good, but Rohr was bailed out by Ighalo's individual qualities today. Then at the last minute, he makes a sub during a set piece which caused us to defend the FK with 1 man down. Talk about a self-inflicted gunshot. Then you have the matter of the midfield and team overall playing out of a recognizable shape (i.e. shapeless) most of the game even as time was winding down.

I gave him credit in the first leg even when most still criticized him and I'm definitely one for continuity but the man needs to improve his game management. Our ambition is to WIN in Africa. It's one thing to talk about going to a WC to 'learn', but that line of reasoning won't work in Africa. The super eagles have expectations especially within Africa and it's not changing any time soon. As I watched the game today, I kept thinking about the Argentina loss some months ago: It's like he was waiting for Libya to get something from the game (a draw would've been a very good result for them today give SA unexpectedly dropped points) before desperately tossing legs onto the pitch and it almost happened if not for Ighalo.
Very mature response. I know you support Rohr but watch the usual gang come to insult you for pointing out his flaws in this game. I also want him to continue but he has a few issues that he needs to work on.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

john12 wrote:We have just beaten a decent African team home and away 4-0 and 2-3 and instead of fans applauding the coach, they’re criticizing him. The problem I have with these delusional fans is that they want to eat their cake and have To it. You cannot criticize our coach when we beat Libya comfortably while praising the players but also criticize the coach again when we lose and exonerate the players
1) football is 90 mins
Considering we haven't even qualified to an AFCON since 2013 I can't take such complaints seriously.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Answer: They're Nigerian.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The sense of entitlement is unwarranted considering we've failed to qualify for two straight AFCONs under two different coaches with players of similar quality.

We've not suddenly opened up a gold mine of world-class players who are by far superior to the guys that failed to qualify in 2015 and 2017 to warrant this sense of entitlement.

The player pool is pretty much the same. Many of the players we have now were part of the teams that failed to qualify, and the new introductions are of a similar level in quality. However, the results are better now (with the same pool of players) and we must be grateful for that while hoping that the team gels even more going forward.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Orion wrote:The sense of entitlement is unwarranted considering we've failed to qualify for two straight AFCONs under two different coaches with players of similar quality.

We've not suddenly opened up a gold mine of world-class players who are by far superior to the guys that failed to qualify in 2015 and 2017 to warrant this sense of entitlement.

The player pool is pretty much the same. Many of the players we have now were part of the teams that failed to qualify, and the new introductions are of a similar level in quality. However, the results are better now (with the same pool of players) and we must be grateful for that while hoping that the team gels even more going forward.
I don't see how you can say "the sense of entitlement is unwarranted?" This is a team that has qualified for 6 out of the seven last WC. Can you imagine Brazil making the WC and failing to qualify for the South American Championship?

Look at the teams in our group, only South Africa has been to the WC twice and one as host. Yes we failed to qualify, that is as much of use screwing things up than how bad we really were.

As bad as we screw things up, we still qualified for the WC and made second round in 2014
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote:The sense of entitlement is unwarranted considering we've failed to qualify for two straight AFCONs under two different coaches with players of similar quality.

In short, the one factor that has really changed is the coach.
But don't expect the stubborn anti-Rohr crowd to acknowledge anything positive coming from him.

The final 20mins of the Argentina game color everything and for them, nothing else matters - not the effortless WC qualification, not the impressive 2019 AFCON qualification about to be realized, not the consistent victories on the road in Africa in both competitions...nothing..

I wonder where we would be now if we had succumbed to the verbal onslaught of the crowd baying for his sack immediately after the World Cup.

Only they can say, but I won't hold my breath... :D
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I don't feel entitled to win every game against the likes of Senegal, Ghana, Egypt, Cameroon, Algeria etc. I would not have had any issue if we drew with, or lost to Libya due to a lucky goal. I feel entitled to expect that we should not lose a 2 goal lead to Libya the way we did especially when the coach did not make any changes.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

pajimoh wrote:

I don't see how you can say "the sense of entitlement is unwarranted?" This is a team that has qualified for 6 out of the seven last WC. Can you imagine Brazil making the WC and failing to qualify for the South American Championship?

Look at the teams in our group, only South Africa has been to the WC twice and one as host. Yes we failed to qualify, that is as much of use screwing things up than how bad we really were.

As bad as we screw things up, we still qualified for the WC and made second round in 2014
The sense of entitlement comes from our conviction that other African countries are standing still, happy to allow us dominate the continent.

Our sense of entitlement comes from knowing how our football is badly run and our administration in a near -shambles (at least until recently) yet we still expect to walk over other teams.

Our sense of entitlement comes from thinking that a true world power like Argentina with the undisputed Best Player in the world (and possibly of all time) has no right to pull a trick out of the bag and win a match in which they were having a bad day in the office. It is what top teams do - win on a bad day.
That stunning winning goal by Marcos Rojo that basically made all the difference in the 80th minute is unfortunately something our own beloved Balogun or Ekong or Omeruos are unlikely to do any time soon because it is probably a little beyond their abilities.

Our sense of entitlement is believing the aberration (Ngr 4, Arg 2) is the norm and the norm (Arg 2 Ngr 1) the aberration

Our sense of entitlement comes from believing that the sacking of the coach based on these beliefs would change anything in the first place...and that some genius of a coach was waiting somewhere in the world to come running and lead a nation that hasn't even got the basics right to the Promised Land.

:D
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote:

In short, the one factor that has really changed is the coach.
But don't expect the stubborn anti-Rohr crowd to acknowledge anything positive coming from him.

The final 20mins of the Argentina game color everything and for them, nothing else matters - not the effortless WC qualification, not the impressive 2019 AFCON qualification about to be realized, not the consistent victories on the road in Africa in both competitions...nothing..

I wonder where we would be now if we had succumbed to the verbal onslaught of the crowd baying for his sack immediately after the World Cup.

Only they can say, but I won't hold my breath... :D
You're spot on. I've noticed some of these guys cannot get past that one game. It's almost as if the coach f**cked up in the WC final itself. We need to burn everything down because SE didn't make it to the 2nd round of the WC, despite the fact we would've run into France anyway and our run would have ended there.

If they had their way SE would not be in Cameroon 2019 because we would not have qualified. But I think some of these guys would actually accept not qualifying for the AFCON if it means getting rid of Rohr. That's how they think.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

The sense of entitlement comes from our conviction that other African countries are standing still, happy to allow us dominate the continent.

Our sense of entitlement comes from knowing how our football is badly run and our administration in a near -shambles (at least until recently) yet we still expect to walk over other teams.

Our sense of entitlement comes from thinking that a true world power like Argentina with the undisputed Best Player in the world (and possibly of all time) has no right to pull a trick out of the bag and win a match in which they were having a bad day in the office. It is what top teams do - win on a bad day.
That stunning winning goal by Marcos Rojo that basically made all the difference in the 80th minute is unfortunately something our own beloved Balogun or Ekong or Omeruos are unlikely to do any time soon because it is probably a little beyond their abilities.

Our sense of entitlement is believing the aberration (Ngr 4, Arg 2) is the norm and the norm (Arg 2 Ngr 1) the aberration

Our sense of entitlement comes from believing that the sacking of the coach based on these beliefs would change anything in the first place...and that some genius of a coach was waiting somewhere in the world to come running and lead a nation that hasn't even got the basics right to the Promised Land.

:D
No it simply comes from the reasonable expectation that if you are leading an away game by 1 goal and your team is under intense pressure, our manager should make changes.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

aruako1 wrote:

I don't feel entitled to win every game against the likes of Senegal, Ghana, Egypt, Cameroon, Algeria etc. I would not have had any issue if we drew with, or lost to Libya due to a lucky goal. I feel entitled to expect that we should not lose a 2 goal lead to Libya the way we did especially when the coach did not make any changes.
The Libyans were facing elimination, so they threw everything at it. They were playing as the home team in Tunisia in a stadium dominated by their home crowd. It's not so surprising that they fought back and briefly equalised the score. Libya is a good 2nd tier African team. We usually draw away games against teams like this.

Remember that poor Tunisian side that came to Abuja in the 2010 WCQers? They also equalised to 2-2 in a game we had to win at HOME but we failed to win. At least Rohr still won this game away! Remember what Angola did to us in Kano in 2005? This is not the first time we lost our lead in a key game.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Nigerian fans are the English fans of Africa: entitled, and living off former glories.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

..local coaches.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Orion wrote:
aruako1 wrote:

The Libyans were facing elimination, so they threw everything at it. They were playing as the home team in Tunisia in a stadium dominated by their home crowd. It's not so surprising that they fought back and briefly equalised the score. Libya is a good 2nd tier African team. We usually draw away games against teams like this.

Remember that poor Tunisian side that came to Abuja in the 2010 WCQers? They also equalised to 2-2 in a game we had to win at HOME but we failed to win. At least Rohr still won this game away! Remember what Angola did to us in Kano in 2005? This is not the first time we lost our lead in a key game.
So if you play a good team you can't complain about the coach again? Libya threw everything at the game but the coach saw his players tiring and did not make any sub. That is the main complaint everyone has. Pointing this out does not mean that you hate the manager.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote:
Orion wrote:
aruako1 wrote:

So if you play a good team you can't complain about the coach again? Libya threw everything at the game but the coach saw his players tiring and did not make any sub. That is the main complaint everyone has. Pointing this out does not mean that you hate the manager.
Stop using yourself as a barometer.
You have seen the vitriolic comments by forumers on Rohr and your analyses and remarks are nothing like their schizoid reactions.
Like religion and politics, football brings out the madness in most of us, but I'm sure they are otherwise very measured, respectable men.
Many of them need anger management. :oops:
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Orion wrote:
aruako1 wrote:

You have seen the vitriolic comments by forumers on Rohr and your analyses and remarks are nothing like their schizoid reactions.
Like religion and politics, football brings out the madness in most of us, but I'm sure they are otherwise very measured, respectable men.
I was called mad and delusional so forgive me if I also focus on myself. On another thread the thread starter was targeted with abuse - please check and see uf he made any abusive comments. Again people will say things in the heat if the moment even if we are playing the best 11 players in the world. It is what fans do.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Orion wrote:
aruako1 wrote:

I was called mad and delusional so forgive me if I also focus on myself. On another thread the thread starter was targeted with abuse - please check and see uf he made any abusive comments. Again people will say things in the heat if the moment even if we are playing the best 11 players in the world. It is what fans do.
Heat of the moment how many months after the World Cup? :lol:
Even if they have forgotten the swag with which we qualified for Russia, they are witnesses to what is happening now.
Sommadem can't even get themselves to acknowledge the impressive results being clocked up on the way to Cameroun 2019.

They are still intent on beating our own world record of 20 coaches in 20 years. :lol: