Akpoguma Would Consider Nigeria Only....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Next
Egg
Egg
Akpoguma Would Consider Nigeria Only....

Post by Next »

... if he fails to get called up by Löw

https://guardian.ng/sport/ive-not-close ... -akpoguma/
Kevin Akpoguma is rated by world football governing body, FIFA as one of the future stars of the game.

The Hoffenheim defender, who captained Germany at the 2015 U-20 World Cup has played for the Die Mannschaft at all the youth levels, but he is yet to play for the main team of the 2014 world champions.

And so, he is still eligible to play for the Super Eagles.

Akpoguma has a Nigerian father and a German mother, which makes him eligible to play for either of the two countries.

But the talented defender prefers to wait for a chance with the German team and will decide to switch allegiance to Nigeria if he failed to get the chance with Joachim Loew’s team.

He told The Guardian after Hoffenheim’s 4-0 defeat of Stuttgart that he has thought hard of playing for Nigeria, adding, “but the thing is that I was born in Germany and I have played for all the youth teams of Germany and I am still a young player.

“So, I want to leave it open because Germany can still call me. But if I have no other option to play for Germany, then I can consider playing for Nigeria because my dad is from Nigeria.”

Akpoguma disclosed that members of his family have not put pressure on him to choose any of the two countries, adding, “My father has told me to listen to my heart… he doesn’t want to put pressure on me to make any decision. It is very important I make the right decision.

“There are some examples like Prince Boateng of Ghana, who only played for Ghana in the World Cup and retired after that. I believe that if you want to play for a country I think you should play for that country with love and passion. It makes no sense leaving after a few games. That is why if I play for Nigeria I should be in a position to play my whole career for them. No half measures.

“Gernot Rohr visited us here in Hoffenheim and talked a lot about the young team he is building. I saw it at the World Cup; there are very good players like Iwobi, Ndidi and Leon Balogun. He explained all the things because I had a good conversation with him. But as I said, I want to leave every door open. When the time comes, I will let the world know my decision.”

I'll say make up your mind, lad...
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: Akpoguma Would Consider Nigeria Only....

Post by Otitokoro »

Kid had stated he did not want to play for Nigeria and we have since closed the door on him and moved on.
Don't know why this is being revisited.
Wish him good luck in his quest to play for the Germans.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Naija is too big to be anybody’s second choice!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

LOL classic German who is pretty blunt and says what he means. Of course we are his second choice, oh well, i hope he gets a chance with Germany, when he gets tired of waiting, we may not have a spot for him.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Goodluck playing alongside Tony Kroos racist a$$.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cmoke wrote:Naija is too big to be anybody’s second choice!
Too 'big' because we are top 4 in the world and are spoilt for choice? Or top 10? Or top 20?

Or too 'big' because we have 50-60million potential world beaters wasting away in Naija, battling with malaria, typhoid, malnutrition, diarrhoea and all the rest but will somehow still make it through and reach their full footballing potential in a national football league that is itself anaemic and malnourished?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

metalalloy wrote:LOL classic German who is pretty blunt and says what he means. Of course we are his second choice, oh well, i hope he gets a chance with Germany, when he gets tired of waiting, we may not have a spot for him.
That will be fantastic becos it means we'd have a choice of players far better than him. An 'abundance of riches' is what we all pray for. :thumb:

If however, even after a delay, Akpoguma still stands head and shoulders above whatever we have available to us, what do we do?

We dey make mouth like say we and Jamni dey di same category.
Amen to that.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
Too 'big' because we are top 4 in the world and are spoilt for choice? Or top 10? Or top 20?

Or too 'big' because we have 50-60million potential world beaters wasting away in Naija, battling with malaria, typhoid, malnutrition, diarrhoea and all the rest but will somehow still make it through and reach their full footballing potential in a national football league that is itself anaemic and malnourished?

If and when he decides to play for us Rohr and NFF will immediately file the papers, its as simple as that...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:

If and when he decides to play for us Rohr and NFF will immediately file the papers, its as simple as that...
Yup.
My amusement is with all those that feel we are 'too big' at the moment to be considered as a second choice by those making it to the fringes of the national teams of the world's elite football nations.

I mean, we're not talking about Vietnam or Indonesia here.

Maybe one day sha we go reach there.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

KPAM! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: However, I commend his honesty in the matter
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
metalalloy wrote:LOL classic German who is pretty blunt and says what he means. Of course we are his second choice, oh well, i hope he gets a chance with Germany, when he gets tired of waiting, we may not have a spot for him.
That will be fantastic becos it means we'd have a choice of players far better than him. An 'abundance of riches' is what we all pray for. :thumb:

If however, even after a delay, Akpoguma still stands head and shoulders above whatever we have available to us, what do we do?

We dey make mouth like say we and Jamni dey di same category.
Amen to that.

Yup hence the word "may".
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Abeg take the kid if Germany reject him. Maybe we will finally beat Argentina at the WC on the 6th try and make the QFs for the first time.

Wha choo looking at?!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

This reads like another ploy to get Germany to call him up..... like Bob Marley said ‘I don’t wanna wait in vain for your Love’
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Here we go again!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:

if you go around in this life thinking you are crap, then that's on you.. there are some who may not have it all, however they are always on their purpose. You just displayed a weak man's mindset... A typical BETA male
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
lekanlij
Egg
Egg

Post by lekanlij »

Desailly left African aged 4 and later claimed he felt more french than Ghanian. Drogba left for France also aged 5 but always identified as African. It’s a personal something coupled with upbringing and society that influence identity.

Now imagine that the Liberian president’s son plays for USA and not Liberia! It’s not necessarily status that influence this decision but personal values. We are thankful to the Iwobi,ekongs, Balogun, Agboola, odemwingie, idowus, Aina etc that still identify as us
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Tell him to sod off!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Guys stop fighting over Panadol for someone else headache; identity and belonging isn't solely occasioned in genetic factors. social construct component of it is even a much bigger variable. He does not see what you and neither do you see what he sees.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

oloye wrote:Tell him to sod off!
Oloye has spoken :D
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Mercenary alert
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

oloye wrote:Tell him to sod off!
I understand where you are coming from because we all want players who want to play for Nigeria. But it's not by force. The young man has been open and honest about it and I can respect that.

The question now is about our response to his stance on his international career. Under no circumstances should we disturb the guy again. If he should decide to play for Nigeria in the future (as d#$% Etuhu did after initially spurning our overtures) it will be up to him to court us and not vice versa.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Yes we are too big even though some of our high achievers still have inferiority complex!

We are too big because our passion for football is second to none! Future SE, no matter where dem born am must dream green white green first and foremost!

But I do understand your acceptance of being someone’s second choice.

Cmoke :D

PS

Na u be expert but Europe and South America no get disease?

Damunk wrote:

Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

To me, our pikin na our pikin, no matter what jerseys they wear. Why else would I find myself supporting Austria . No be say Alaba dey field?

As for SE, lets start by calling those passionately making SE their first choice.

Chikena
lekanlij wrote:Desailly left African aged 4 and later claimed he felt more french than Ghanian. Drogba left for France also aged 5 but always identified as African. It’s a personal something coupled with upbringing and society that influence identity.

Now imagine that the Liberian president’s son plays for USA and not Liberia! It’s not necessarily status that influence this decision but personal values. We are thankful to the Iwobi,ekongs, Balogun, Agboola, odemwingie, idowus, Aina etc that still identify as us