AWCON 2018: Dennerby Names 23 Falcons, Head To Abidjan

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bouncer
Egg
Egg

Post by Bouncer »

Cup holders, Super Falcons of Nigeria will spend eight days at a training camp in Abidjan to perfect tactics and strategy for the defence of their continental title before arriving in Ghana for the 11th Women Africa Cup of Nations finals.

The team, which has been camping in the magnificent Jubilee Chalets and Resort in Epe near Lagos – courtesy of the Lagos State Government – for the past few weeks, will travel aboard an Air Ivoire flight on Tuesday morning to the Ivorian capital.

Head Coach Thomas Dennerby on Monday unveiled a list of 23 players who will make the trip to the world –renowned ASEC Mimosas FC academy, Sol Beni, before two players are cut for a final squad of 21 for the trip to Cape Coast.

Thenff.com learnt that the reigning African champions will play a couple of friendly games in the Sol Beni camp before flying to Ghana on 14thNovember – four days to their Group B opening encounter against South Africa’s Banyana Banyana.

Nigeria will also tackle Zambia and Kenya in their pool, as they bid for a ninth continental title out of 11 championships.

Dennerby will be joined on the technical bench by fellow Swede Jorgen Petersson, as well as Justine Madugu and Maureen Madu.

Hosts Ghana, Algeria, Mali and Cameroon will battle things out in Group A in Accra.

THE 23 FALCONS FOR ABIDJAN

Goalkeepers: Tochukwu Oluehi (Rivers Angels); Christy Ohiaeriaku (Confluence Queens); Chiamaka Nnadozie (Rivers Angels)

Defenders: Glory Ogbonna (Ibom Angels); Ugochi Emenayo (Nasarawa Amazons); Sarah Nnodim (Nasarawa Amazons); Ngozi Ebere (Barcelona FC, Cyprus); Faith Michael (Pitea IF, Sweden); Onome Ebi (Henan Huisanhang, China); Osinachi Ohale (Vaxjo DFF, Sweden); Josephine Chukwunonye (Asarum AIF, Sweden)

Midfielders: Amarachi Okoronkwo (Nasarawa Amazons); Ngozi Okobi (Eskiltuna UTD, Sweden); Rita Chikwelu (Krstianstand DFF, Sweden); Halimat Ayinde (Asarum AIF, Sweden); Ogonna Chukwudi (Krstianstand DFF, Sweden)

Forwards: Anam Imo (Nasarawa Amazons); Rasheedat Ajibade (FC Robo Queens); Asisat Oshoala (Dalian Quanjian, China); Francisca Ordega (Washington Spirit, USA); Desire Oparanozie (En Avant Guingamp, France); Chinaza Uchendu (SC Braga, Portugal); Chinwendu Ihezuo (Biik Kazygurt, Kazakhstan)
Bouncer
Egg
Egg
Re: AWCON 2018: Dennerby Names 23 Falcons, Head To Abidjan

Post by Bouncer »

Biafran National Team. Football, the only place in the zoo where there is semblance of level playing field and you all can attest to the result. IPOB should please hasten things up.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Bouncer wrote:Biafran National Team. Football, the only place in the zoo where there is semblance of level playing field and you all can attest to the result. IPOB should please hasten things up.
Oshoala is also Biafra?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bouncer
Egg
Egg

Post by Bouncer »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Bouncer wrote:Biafran National Team. Football, the only place in the zoo where there is semblance of level playing field and you all can attest to the result. IPOB should please hasten things up.
Oshoala is also Biafra?
Boy, out of 23 names, how many do you think are Biafran names and what does that say about the team? This is possible only because of the European coach Dennerby. No chance for any useless federal character quota system. FC's always chose the best and when ever that happens, we know how the team comes out to be. Now extend this to other sectors in your zoo and see your zoo change into a real country, but the question is can you?
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

^^You're so immature you have no idea.
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Can the "murderators" get this "thing" out of here
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Will not be at all surprised if this team does NOT win the trophy... :cry:

As usual, the NFF and Nigerians are merely relying on the natural talent and Naija fighting spirit of the ladies, without any real serious preparations. After the team won the same AWCON championship in 2016, THE FALCONS WENT THROUGH THE ENTIRE YEAR OF 2017 WITHOUT PLAYING A GAME. Since then, other the AWCON qualifiers (and the WAFU Cup for only home-based players) and the friendly (with a hurriedly-assembled team) against France, in which the team was DESERVEDLY walloped 0-8 (and thereby suffering the ignominy of matching AWCON hosts Ghana’s shambolic loss against same opposition), THE FALCONS HAVE NOT PLAYED ANY FRIENDLIES IN 2018 EITHER! In fact, since their qualification for the AWCON way back in June (that is, 6 months ago), THE FALCONS HAVE ONLY GOTTEN TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME ABOUT 2-3 WEEKS AGO to prepare for this AWCON championship, during which time they have NOT played a single official friendly game (other than a handful of kickabouts against MALE youth sides in a non-regulation pitch at Epe Resort). So, abegi, let’s not blame the coaches if the team “fumbles and wobbles” out of the championship - albeit I still expect the indefatigable Naija Spirit to come through big time.

GOOD LUCK TO THE LADIES! WISH THEM THE VERY BEST!! THEY DESERVE MUCH BETTER!!!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bouncer
Egg
Egg

Post by Bouncer »

mapet wrote:Can the "murderators" get this "thing" out of here
Coming from the usual suspect. :lol: :lol:
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Gotti wrote:Will not be at all surprised if this team does NOT win the trophy... :cry:

As usual, the NFF and Nigerians are merely relying on the natural talent and Naija fighting spirit of the ladies, without any real serious preparations. After the team won the same AWCON championship in 2016, THE FALCONS WENT THROUGH THE ENTIRE YEAR OF 2017 WITHOUT PLAYING A GAME. Since then, other the AWCON qualifiers (and the WAFU Cup for only home-based players) and the friendly (with a hurriedly-assembled team) against France, in which the team was DESERVEDLY walloped 0-8 (and thereby suffering the ignominy of matching AWCON hosts Ghana’s shambolic loss against same opposition), THE FALCONS HAVE NOT PLAYED ANY FRIENDLIES IN 2018 EITHER! In fact, since their qualification for the AWCON way back in June (that is, 6 months ago), THE FALCONS HAVE ONLY GOTTEN TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME ABOUT 2-3 WEEKS AGO to prepare for this AWCON championship, during which time they have NOT played a single official friendly game (other than a handful of kickabouts against MALE youth sides in a non-regulation pitch at Epe Resort). So, abegi, let’s not blame the coaches if the team “fumbles and wobbles” out of the championship - albeit I still expect the indefatigable Naija Spirit to come through big time.

:clap: :clap:
Still can't fathom the NFF's perennial under-valuation of the SFalcons...
Why can't the NFF manage the SFalcons as the "blue-chip" brand the side has been since 1991..?
The NFF could achieve this with 10% of the annual budget spent on the SEagles...

Ridiculous..!
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Agree with your argument about not being prepared, but something else makes me highly uncomfortable.
Comparing this squad and the 2016 championship winning squad, this one is innundated with a lot of untested 'newbies':
2016 Squad wrote: Alaba Jonathan, Ugo Njoku, Faith Ikidi Michael, Onome Ebi, Osinachi Ohale, Ngozi Okobi, Halimatu Ayinde, Rita Chikwelu (c), Francisca Ordega, Desire Oparanozie, Asisat Oshoala
Ibubeleye Whyte, Rita Akarekor, Ebere Ngozi, Gladys Akpa, Osarenoma Igbinovia, Glory Iroka, Ijeoma Obi, Chioma Wogu, Uchechi Sunday, Esther Sunday.
2018 Squad wrote: Tochukwu Oluehi (Rivers Angels); Christy Ohiaeriaku (Confluence Queens); Chiamaka Nnadozie (Rivers Angels), Glory Ogbonna (Ibom Angels); Sarah Nnodim (Nasarawa Amazons); Ngozi Ebere (Barcelona FC, Cyprus), Faith Michael (Pitea IF, Sweden); Onome Ebi (Henan Huisanhang, China); Osinachi Ohale (Vaxjo DFF, Sweden); Josephine Chukwunonye (Asarum AIF, Sweden), Amarachi Okoronkwo (Nasarawa Amazons); Ngozi Okobi (Eskiltuna UTD, Sweden); Rita Chikwelu (Krstianstand DFF, Sweden); Halimat Ayinde (Asarum AIF, Sweden), Anam Imo (Nasarawa Amazons); Rasheedat Ajibade (FC Robo Queens); Asisat Oshoala (Dalian Quanjian, China), Francisca Ordega (Washington Spirit, USA); Desire Oparanozie (En Avant Guingamp, France); Chinaza Uchendu (SC Braga, Portugal); Chinwendu Ihezuo (Biik Kazygurt, Kazakhstan).
What is scary is that 11 of the 21 in this 2018 squad are new with zero AWCON experience. Even more frightening is that virtually none of the 3 Keepers have had any previous AWCON experience.

With the extremely poor prep and with a grossly overrated coach who is having his first go-around in an AWCON, and in my opinion, just there for the ride (don't think he has much value, if any, to offer this team), Nigerians really should not expect much from this team. The likes of Ghana, Cameroon and South Africa seem to have had decent preparations for this tournament. My concern is not about winning the trophy (that will be an 'exceed expectation' for them; my concern is even qualifying for the WC, considering only 3 teams will make it.
Gotti wrote:Will not be at all surprised if this team does NOT win the trophy... :cry:

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Otitokoro wrote:What is scary is that 11 of the 21 in this 2018 squad are new with zero AWCON experience. Even more frightening is that virtually none of the 3 Keepers have had any previous AWCON experience.

With the extremely poor prep and with a grossly overrated coach who is having his first go-around in an AWCON, and in my opinion, just there for the ride (don't think he has much value, if any, to offer this team), Nigerians really should not expect much from this team. The likes of Ghana, Cameroon and South Africa seem to have had decent preparations for this tournament. My concern is not about winning the trophy (that will be an 'exceed expectation' for them; my concern is even qualifying for the WC, considering only 3 teams will make it.
Personally not particularly worried about the GKs...
The former starter Alaba was in camp and was dropped, while Nnadozie was stellar at the U20 WWC.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

'Stellar' might be a stretch...I would say she was okay.
She was also in goal when the Falcons came up against real women (i.e. the French Women's team) and had the misfortune of picking up the ball from her net 8 times.
Not sure what happened to Alaba - thought she played well in the 2016 final against the Cameroonians.
Gotti wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:What is scary is that 11 of the 21 in this 2018 squad are new with zero AWCON experience. Even more frightening is that virtually none of the 3 Keepers have had any previous AWCON experience.

The former starter Alaba was in camp and was dropped, while Nnadozie was stellar at the U20 WWC.
Last edited by Otitokoro on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

[/video]
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Otitokoro wrote:'Stellar' might be a stretch...I would say she was okay.
She was also in goal when the Falcons came up against real women (i.e. the French Women's team) and had the misfortune of picking up the ball from her net 8 times.
Not sure what happened to Alaba - thought she played well in the 2016 final against the Cameroonians.
She was the sole Nigerian player to win POTM at the tournament...
And frankly goal-keeping was the LEAST of our problems against France!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Bad News for the Falcons...

CAF Reinstates Eq. Guinea to 2018 AWCON
Harambee Starlets AWCON 2018 Dreams Crashed As CAF Reinstate Equatorial Guinea
By Bonface Osano - November 8, 2018357
harambee starlets

Kenya’s women’s national team, the Harambee Starlets, are out of the 2018 Africa Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (AWCON) less than two weeks to the tournament in Ghana.

Kenya qualified for the championship late last month following a successful protest against Equatorial Guinea for fielding ineligible player in the final round of the qualifiers which Starlets narrowly lost 3-2 on aggregate to the West Africans.

CAF Disciplinary Board agreed with the Football Kenya Federation that the player, Annette Jacky Messomo, was a Cameroonian and not eligible to represent Equatorial Guinea.

But following a successful appeal, CAF overruled the previous decision, handing Equatorial Guinea a lifeline and crashing Starlets dreams of back to back AWCON appearance.

“The player Annette Jacky Messomo is eligible to play for the national team of Equatorial Guinea.

Read: Coach Frank Ouna Quits After Relegating Wazito FC

“The national team of Equatorial Guinea is reinstated in the Total African Women’s Cup of Nations 2018,” CAF Appeal Board ruling reads partly.

Kenya have been camping since last week and on Wednesday played a friendly match against Ghana which ended 1-1 at the Kasarani Stadium.

They were also scheduled to warm-up against neighbors Uganda before they depart for the tournament which starts from 17 November to 1 December 2018.

The team had been pooled in Group B alongside defending champions Nigeria, Zambia and South Africa.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Nigeria's group just got a whole lot tougher, with Eq. Guinea being added back to the mix.
They are the only team to have defeated Nigeria to win the cup and they are arguably the second best team in Africa.

The decision to load up the team with newbies, at the expense of veterans, is now looking not so smart after all...
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I think Okobi is the best player. But Oshoala will get most of the publicity because she scores the goals.

Chiamaka Nnadozie played well at the U20 world cup.

There is still plenty of talent on the team to win the cup.

Key players
Okobi
Chikwelu
Ayinde
Oshoala
Oparoanzi
Ordega
Ajibade
Ngozi Ebere
Onomi Ebe
Ohale
Chukwunonye
Faith Michael
The only concern is the goalkeepers are in experienced.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:

This is Chiamaka right?
That girl was exceptional at the U20 WC and I predicted she would virtually walk into the senior team.
I'm so happy for her (and us).
The girl is good. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ol' Boi, 'stellar' is an understatement.
She was galactical.
I really can't remember a female keeper of ours being so agile and with such an accurate GPS.

Otitokoro wrote:'Stellar' might be a stretch...I would say she was okay.
Gotti wrote:Personally not particularly worried about the GKs...
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Tochukwu Oluehi will most likely start for Nigeria in goal. Nnadozie is too inexprienced.

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

I understand all concerns, but Florence Omagbeni won the competition under similar, if not worse circumstance. Dennerby has no excuses.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

fabio wrote:I understand all concerns, but Florence Omagbeni won the competition under similar, if not worse circumstance. Dennerby has no excuses.

My only concern is that AWCON is definitely not a good enough litmus test nor should it be seen as an apogee of where our women football should be because until we start mixing it with like of USA, Sweden and France then winning AWCON again in Ghana and perennially and gyrating after that remains a nonstarter
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote:My only concern is that AWCON is definitely not a good enough litmus test nor should it be seen as an apogee of where our women football should be because until we start mixing it with like of USA, Sweden and France then winning AWCON again in Ghana and perennially and gyrating after that remains a nonstarter
Dude, you won’t be “mixing it up” with the US et al, playing a few games every two years...
Frankly, it is a veritable MIRACLE that we keep winning in Africa despite the rise of other nations.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL