Where are they now – the history-making 1976 Shooting Stars

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ojafranpa
Egg
Egg
Where are they now – the history-making 1976 Shooting Stars

Post by ojafranpa »

Tribute to the history making IICC SHOOTING STARS teammates of 1976 as written by "Daddy" Segun Odegbami.
Where are they now – the history-making 1976 Shooting Stars squad?
By: Olusegun Odegbami
2018 must be the ‘fastest’ year in history.
It has gone like a breeze.
I can’t believe it is November already.
Was it not yesterday that we had the New Year celebrations, and were looking far ahead as if December is a lifetime to go?
Here we are, the first midnight of 2019 already knocking on the door.
Where did the whole of the year, from January till now go to?
Come to think of it, was it not also ‘yesterday’ that I was a young man, freshly minted at the Polytechnic, travelling immediately after my final exams to Europe for the first time in my life, on my way to go to my first Olympics Games that summer in Montreal, Canada, as a Youth Corper?
In December of that same year, I was actually also playing a very major role in the winning of Nigeria’s first continental football club trophy?
In that single year, I went to the moon and back.
Well, it may still seem like yesterday but the reality is that it has been 42 years since that eventful day in November of 1976, when Shooting Stars FC of Nigeria played against Tonnerre Kalala FC of Cameroon in the first leg semi-finals of the Africa Cup-Winners Cup in Ibadan and defeated the team led by the legendary Roger Miller by 4-1, to make the return leg in Yaoundé, Cameroon, a mere formality.
Tonnerre Kalala won the second leg by 1-0, but that was surely just a small dent in our path to the biggest success Nigeria had recorded prior to that time in African club football.
How time flies.
A reader wrote me this week and was asking about the whereabouts of all my colleagues in that 1976 Shooting Stars team. That got me thinking, hence today’s write-up, a tribute to some pioneers in the business of winning trophies for Nigeria.
Incidentally, I was in London last week.
For the first since in 40 years I spoke with the daughter of the British ‘missionary’ coach that led us in Shooting Stars FC to that sweet victory in 1976, Alan Hawkes.
Allan Hawkes was very instrumental to Shooting Stars’ success.
He is still alive, now about 82 years old, in relatively good health and ageing remarkably well in retirement.
He has just published a book on his 6 years’ experience working with Shooting Stars FC in Nigeria in the 1970s. The book is released on Amazon this past week, titled, ‘Up Coach…the story of a soccer missionary’.
A few weeks ago, Allan Hawkes contacted me via my Facebook page and requested to know the fate of all his ‘boys’ in Shooting Stars, players he had not had any contact within 40 years.
This approximates to what I sent him.
He was aware that our leader and mentor, the heart and soul of Shooting Stars, Chief Olalekan Salami had passed on. The man who hired him from England, Chief Emiola Adesina, is still alive and lives in Ibadan. Of the three Nigerian coaches that worked with him, only one is still alive – Goalkeeper trainer, Amusa Adisa. The others, Joseph Ladipo akaJossy lad and Rafiu Salami, have both passed on.
The squad had about 28 players but only 16 players actually played in one match or the other throughout the competition. The entire team scored a total of 16 goals, out of which Moses Otolorin scored 8, and I scored 7. I do not recall who scored the other single goal during the competition. Of those that actually had a kick of the ball the following have passed on:
Best Ogedegbe(Bestila). He kept the goal in most of the matches. He died in 2009 at 55 after working with the national junior teams of Nigeria for a few years.
Joe Appiah– Ghanaian, Right-full back, died in Ibadan in May 2012 at 62.
Samuel Ojebode – Captain and Left back. Played also for the national team for three years. He died in July 2012 at 68.
Dauda Adepoju– Centre Half. Quiet gentlemen, but as hard as steel. Very cerebral. Uncle to Mutiu Adepoju. He died in Ibadan a long time ago.
Mudashiru Babatunde Lawal(Shiru) MON, MFR – Attacking midfielder – Nigeria’s first soccer ambassador, Non-stop running, exceptionally skillful midfield player. He died in July 1991 at a very young age – 37.
Folorunsho Gambari (Gambus)– Defensive Midfielder. Extremely hard and hardworking defensive midfielder, reputed for his special marking tasks, including marking out Roger Miller in 1976. He died in 1981 at a very young age of around 32.
Moses Otolorin(Fantasia) – the man with the longest throws and the most powerful shots. He scored 8 of the 16 goals the entire scored in the 1976 African Club challenge. He died in December 2014 at 67.
Adekunle Awesu– Died mysteriously in 1994 in the USA at the age of 43. He was named the best left winger in Africa during the 1976 Africa Cup of Nations in Dire Dawa Ethiopia.
Abai Adeleye– Very quick, left winger. He died rather quietly. I am not sure of the year. The following 9 are still alive and doing relatively well.
Zion Ogunfeyimi (Omo oba) – In goal. Started the competition for a few of the matches. It was an injury and Best’s incredible form that year that kept Zion a bit quiet later on and on the bench. Otherwise, he also was in the national team and in great shape.
Sam Ashante– Centre Half. Ghanaian. Very Stylish and intelligent player. He now lives in Accra, Ghana. He was a coach with the MTN academy in Accra for several years.
Sam Saka Abossey– Centre half. Ghanaian. Great Libero. He is married to a Nigerian woman and lives in Ghana.
Idowu Otubusen (Slow Poison)– Centre Half. Intelligent, calm, cool and calculative defender. Still lives in Ibadan.
Nathaniel Adewole (Commander) – Midfield general and dribbler extraordinaire. The greatest surprise is why he never played for the national team. Lives in Ibadan. He is a Rabbi and has remained unmarried all his life.
Phillip Boamah(Etu) – Dashing winger. One of the few Ghanaians to play for in Nigeria’s Green Eagles. He lives with his Egba wife in Ibadan.
Segun Odegbami (Mathematical) – striker.Lives mostly in Abeokuta. Attempting to become the governor of Ogun State.
There were other players in the squad but that did not feature in the matches. A few that come to my mind are:
Kehinde Jeyifous – Defensive Midfield player. Lives in Ibadan. Segun Adelakun(Aya bi eyin) – Also nicknamed ‘Small Sheg’ by Allan Hawkes. Attacking winger. Lives in Akure; Rasaki Fadare(goalkeeper) late; Ismaila Bello(defender) lives in the US; Kafaru Alabi(late); Olaide Ali (defender) Alive. I believe he is in the USA too. Anthony Osho (attacker).
He passed on a few years ago.
May those that have gone to sleep rest ever peacefully in the bosom of Our Creator, and those that are still alive be eternally grateful to the Creator, and enjoy the peace and comfort that life offers them for the rest of their time here on earth.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
heavyd
Egg
Egg
Re: Where are they now – the history-making 1976 Shooting St

Post by heavyd »

He has just published a book on his 6 years’ experience working with Shooting Stars FC in Nigeria in the 1970s. The book is released on Amazon this past week, titled, ‘Up Coach…the story of a soccer missionary’.
ordered my copy already :thumb:
YNWA
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Toxic,

There are two things mentioned by Big Sheg in this story that I think may not be accurate. Just my tuppence. The first is that I thought Kehinde Jaiyefous was a forward and not a defensive midfielder and I dam not aware that he was part of the winning team described below. Second, I have my doubt that Rasaki Fadare was part of that team. Was Fadare not at Water Corporation at that time? Where are the Sooting faithfuls?
ojafranpa wrote:Tribute to the history making IICC SHOOTING STARS teammates of 1976 as written by "Daddy" Segun Odegbami.
Where are they now – the history-making 1976 Shooting Stars squad?
By: Olusegun Odegbami
2018 must be the ‘fastest’ year in history.
It has gone like a breeze.
I can’t believe it is November already.
Was it not yesterday that we had the New Year celebrations, and were looking far ahead as if December is a lifetime to go?
Here we are, the first midnight of 2019 already knocking on the door.
Where did the whole of the year, from January till now go to?
Come to think of it, was it not also ‘yesterday’ that I was a young man, freshly minted at the Polytechnic, travelling immediately after my final exams to Europe for the first time in my life, on my way to go to my first Olympics Games that summer in Montreal, Canada, as a Youth Corper?
In December of that same year, I was actually also playing a very major role in the winning of Nigeria’s first continental football club trophy?
In that single year, I went to the moon and back.
Well, it may still seem like yesterday but the reality is that it has been 42 years since that eventful day in November of 1976, when Shooting Stars FC of Nigeria played against Tonnerre Kalala FC of Cameroon in the first leg semi-finals of the Africa Cup-Winners Cup in Ibadan and defeated the team led by the legendary Roger Miller by 4-1, to make the return leg in Yaoundé, Cameroon, a mere formality.
Tonnerre Kalala won the second leg by 1-0, but that was surely just a small dent in our path to the biggest success Nigeria had recorded prior to that time in African club football.
How time flies.
A reader wrote me this week and was asking about the whereabouts of all my colleagues in that 1976 Shooting Stars team. That got me thinking, hence today’s write-up, a tribute to some pioneers in the business of winning trophies for Nigeria.
Incidentally, I was in London last week.
For the first since in 40 years I spoke with the daughter of the British ‘missionary’ coach that led us in Shooting Stars FC to that sweet victory in 1976, Alan Hawkes.
Allan Hawkes was very instrumental to Shooting Stars’ success.
He is still alive, now about 82 years old, in relatively good health and ageing remarkably well in retirement.
A few weeks ago, Allan Hawkes contacted me via my Facebook page and requested to know the fate of all his ‘boys’ in Shooting Stars, players he had not had any contact within 40 years.
This approximates to what I sent him.
He was aware that our leader and mentor, the heart and soul of Shooting Stars, Chief Olalekan Salami had passed on. The man who hired him from England, Chief Emiola Adesina, is still alive and lives in Ibadan. Of the three Nigerian coaches that worked with him, only one is still alive – Goalkeeper trainer, Amusa Adisa. The others, Joseph Ladipo akaJossy lad and Rafiu Salami, have both passed on.
The squad had about 28 players but only 16 players actually played in one match or the other throughout the competition. The entire team scored a total of 16 goals, out of which Moses Otolorin scored 8, and I scored 7. I do not recall who scored the other single goal during the competition. Of those that actually had a kick of the ball the following have passed on:
Best Ogedegbe(Bestila). He kept the goal in most of the matches. He died in 2009 at 55 after working with the national junior teams of Nigeria for a few years.
Joe Appiah– Ghanaian, Right-full back, died in Ibadan in May 2012 at 62.
Samuel Ojebode – Captain and Left back. Played also for the national team for three years. He died in July 2012 at 68.
Dauda Adepoju– Centre Half. Quiet gentlemen, but as hard as steel. Very cerebral. Uncle to Mutiu Adepoju. He died in Ibadan a long time ago.
Mudashiru Babatunde Lawal(Shiru) MON, MFR – Attacking midfielder – Nigeria’s first soccer ambassador, Non-stop running, exceptionally skillful midfield player. He died in July 1991 at a very young age – 37.
Folorunsho Gambari (Gambus)– Defensive Midfielder. Extremely hard and hardworking defensive midfielder, reputed for his special marking tasks, including marking out Roger Miller in 1976. He died in 1981 at a very young age of around 32.
Moses Otolorin(Fantasia) – the man with the longest throws and the most powerful shots. He scored 8 of the 16 goals the entire scored in the 1976 African Club challenge. He died in December 2014 at 67.
Adekunle Awesu– Died mysteriously in 1994 in the USA at the age of 43. He was named the best left winger in Africa during the 1976 Africa Cup of Nations in Dire Dawa Ethiopia.
Abai Adeleye– Very quick, left winger. He died rather quietly. I am not sure of the year. The following 9 are still alive and doing relatively well.
Zion Ogunfeyimi (Omo oba) – In goal. Started the competition for a few of the matches. It was an injury and Best’s incredible form that year that kept Zion a bit quiet later on and on the bench. Otherwise, he also was in the national team and in great shape.
Sam Ashante– Centre Half. Ghanaian. Very Stylish and intelligent player. He now lives in Accra, Ghana. He was a coach with the MTN academy in Accra for several years.
Sam Saka Abossey– Centre half. Ghanaian. Great Libero. He is married to a Nigerian woman and lives in Ghana.
Idowu Otubusen (Slow Poison)– Centre Half. Intelligent, calm, cool and calculative defender. Still lives in Ibadan.
Nathaniel Adewole (Commander) – Midfield general and dribbler extraordinaire. The greatest surprise is why he never played for the national team. Lives in Ibadan. He is a Rabbi and has remained unmarried all his life.
Phillip Boamah(Etu) – Dashing winger. One of the few Ghanaians to play for in Nigeria’s Green Eagles. He lives with his Egba wife in Ibadan.
Segun Odegbami (Mathematical) – striker.Lives mostly in Abeokuta. Attempting to become the governor of Ogun State.
There were other players in the squad but that did not feature in the matches. A few that come to my mind are:
Kehinde Jeyifous – Defensive Midfield player. Lives in Ibadan. Segun Adelakun(Aya bi eyin) – Also nicknamed ‘Small Sheg’ by Allan Hawkes. Attacking winger. Lives in Akure; Rasaki Fadare(goalkeeper) late; Ismaila Bello(defender) lives in the US; Kafaru Alabi(late); Olaide Ali (defender) Alive. I believe he is in the USA too. Anthony Osho (attacker).
He passed on a few years ago.
May those that have gone to sleep rest ever peacefully in the bosom of Our Creator, and those that are still alive be eternally grateful to the Creator, and enjoy the peace and comfort that life offers them for the rest of their time here on earth.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Scary part is the high number already dead.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Cmoke wrote:Scary part is the high number already dead.
Very scary. It seems like Nigerians die mostly in their 60's .
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

bully12 wrote:
Your guess is not too far from WHO's estimate:

"The life expectancy in Nigeria is, unfortunately, the lowest in all of West Africa. The average life expectancy is around 54.5 years of age according to WHO data, with men living an average of 53.7 years and women living an average of 55.4 years."

Source:
http://worldpopulationreview.com/countr ... opulation/
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Rangers V IICC -1980

"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

It’s not only Naija .

Lookup life expectancies of Black men living in USA!
YemiBrazil wrote:
bully12 wrote:

"The life expectancy in Nigeria is, unfortunately, the lowest in all of West Africa. The average life expectancy is around 54.5 years of age according to WHO data, with men living an average of 53.7 years and women living an average of 55.4 years."

Source:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...poor health care
poor diet
poor environment, even for those that live in the so called choicer areas.
The fumes in the air clogging lungs is horrific, then the water, etc.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Enugu II wrote:Toxic,

There are two things mentioned by Big Sheg in this story that I think may not be accurate. Just my tuppence. The first is that I thought Kehinde Jaiyefous was a forward and not a defensive midfielder and I dam not aware that he was part of the winning team described below. Second, I have my doubt that Rasaki Fadare was part of that team. Was Fadare not at Water Corporation at that time? Where are the Sooting faithfuls?
Yep, I am almost certain he was a forward too that missed loads of goals.
I actually thought he was at Water when IICC won the cup winner's cup, same as Fadare.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Aswani wrote:

I actually thought he was at Water when IICC won the cup winner's cup, same as Fadare.
Aswani,

This is why the Chinese state that memory can easily fail us after the passage of years. Big Sheg made errors there. According to the Chinese, The Faintest Ink is Smarter than the Sharpest Brain.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

mcal wrote:...poor health care
poor diet
Agreed,in more developed nations moving to a rural town is a luxury usually for those that can afford it and in doing so they can live in a more healthy environment and still stay connected to the world outside but in Nigeria everybody clusters in the few major cities as that's what they consider to be best place to be.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
mcal wrote:...poor health care
poor diet
Agreed,in more developed nations moving to a rural town is a luxury usually for those that can afford it and in doing so they can live in a more healthy environment and still stay connected to the world outside but in Nigeria everybody clusters in the few major cities as that's what they consider to be best place to be.
...I always see the difference when I visit Nigeria.
Village vs city.
After many days in the city it was refreshing to breath better air and tranquility in the village.
With self sufficiency I will reside in the village, screw the city.
Bouncer
Egg
Egg

Post by Bouncer »

YemiBrazil wrote:
bully12 wrote:

Source:
Only in a zoo and ediots like you are still defending it and calling it "one". The only place on earth that "one" is used as part of it's name. Silly clowns.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Enugu II wrote:
Aswani wrote:

Aswani,

This is why the Chinese state that memory can easily fail us after the passage of years. Big Sheg made errors there. According to the Chinese, The Faintest Ink is Smarter than the Sharpest Brain.
Don't confuse Rasak Fadare with Mufu Fadare, the junior striker who played for Water and IBL FC later in the 80s
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

furiously frank wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Aswani wrote:

Aswani,

Don't confuse Rasak Fadare with Mufu Fadare, the junior striker who played for Water and IBL FC later in the 80s
'Enugu II', interesting saying.
'furiously frank', I have never heard of Mufu Fadare in my life, not saying you are wrong though.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

FF,

I am certainly talking about Rasaki Fadare, the goalkeeper, and not any Mufu Fadare. Bros, I am convinced that Rasaki Fadare was not part of the IICC team that won the Cup Winners Cup as Big Sheg claims. That just isn't accurate. Rasaki Fadare and Clement Okolie were key players of Water Corporation at that time. Rasaki joined IICC later but not in the Cup Winners Cup squad. Same as Kejhinde Jaiyefous who was a much younger player. Jaiyefous was also a striker who was new at IICC, along with Siji Lagunju, in the late 1970s to early 80s (I would have to check my records to be more definitive).
furiously frank wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Aswani wrote:

Aswani,

Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Chie Enugu11 I bow
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

As much as its worth celebrating these heroes, do you realize how embarrassing it is for North African teams to have dominated these club competitions so BADLY? How many of such books will Egyptians, Moroccans and Tunisians have to write? There's this mindset of over-celebrating minnow achievements.
On the other hand, this domination is telling of how clueless most of British colonial black Africa is when it comes to public versus privately owned things! Most thinks Govt shd run everything. It never stand the test of time
Stationery stores
IICC
Rangers
BCC lions
List goes on......everything looks so BLEAK!!
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

The real deal wrote:As much as its worth celebrating these heroes, do you realize how embarrassing it is for North African teams to have dominated these club competitions so BADLY? How many of such books will Egyptians, Moroccans and Tunisians have to write? There's this mindset of over-celebrating minnow achievements.
On the other hand, this domination is telling of how clueless most of British colonial black Africa is when it comes to public versus privately owned things! Most thinks Govt shd run everything. It never stand the test of time
Stationery stores
IICC
Rangers
BCC lions
Stationery Stores is/was a privately owned club by the Adebajo family.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The real deal wrote:As much as its worth celebrating these heroes, do you realize how embarrassing it is for North African teams to have dominated these club competitions so BADLY? How many of such books will Egyptians, Moroccans and Tunisians have to write? There's this mindset of over-celebrating minnow achievements.
Stationery stores
IICC
Rangers
BCC lions

Bros,

There is no reason not to celebrate. Let me tell you, it is like claiming that a guy with third class honors should not celebrate graduating. You should always celebrate an accomplishment and that should not be based on some other person accomplishing more than you over a period.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

The Lagunjus played for Housing Corp Akure, IBL FC and later 3SC. Along with Seun Asagidigbi all in late 80s.
I just dont think Rasaki Fadare played for Shooting in 70s.
Heck Gambari only joined the team in early 80s.
ALong with Ogunjobi. People often confuse the "Balu Balu n tafin " African Championship run team of 1983/4 with the 70s team
Enugu II wrote:FF,

I am certainly talking about Rasaki Fadare, the goalkeeper, and not any Mufu Fadare. Bros, I am convinced that Rasaki Fadare was not part of the IICC team that won the Cup Winners Cup as Big Sheg claims. That just isn't accurate. Rasaki Fadare and Clement Okolie were key players of Water Corporation at that time. Rasaki joined IICC later but not in the Cup Winners Cup squad. Same as Kejhinde Jaiyefous who was a much younger player. Jaiyefous was also a striker who was new at IICC, along with Siji Lagunju, in the late 1970s to early 80s (I would have to check my records to be more definitive).
furiously frank wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Aswani wrote:

Aswani,

"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923