Henry Onyekuru

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

9jaMan
Egg
Egg
Re: Henry Onyekuru

Post by 9jaMan »

vancity eagle wrote:We all castigated Rohr for supposedly ignoring Onyekuru, myself included, but it is now becomming clear the reason why, and perhaps Rohr was not out of his mind.

I watched the full match of both Onyekuru, Chukwueze, and Success this past weekend, and despite Onyekuru's 2 goals, both Success and Chukwueze impressed me far more.

Onyekuru's first goal was a tap in, his second while a nice finish was just him being released on a breakaway. Chukwuezes goal was much nicer and involved more skill and composure. Onyekuru that I've seen play for SE lacks composure and messed up a few opportunities in which if he was more composed would have scored a few goals. Now we can say that he was a little nervous as he hasn't really had much time with SE, which is fair. But when I look at the 3 mentioned players above, Onyekuru is BY FAR the least dynamic. He depends very much on his SPEED, and he is not aggresive in defence, which is why I can see Rohr prefers both Moses Simon and Ahmed Musa.

Chukwueze seems to be much more effective in tight spaces than Onyekuru, as does Success. Success is far ahead of Onyekuru in terms of vision, football IQ, passing.

For me with the glutony of wide players we now seem to have, and with the likely addition of Ademola Lookman and Noah Bazee, Onyekuru will be out of the picture in terms of being a wide player for us.

I think he should reinvent himself as a striker to be honest, because he does seem to be one of the better finishers of our team, and his lack of defensive game and overall team play and contribution would probably make the striker his best suited position for us.

Only problem is that he lacks the strength and holdup play that both Ighalo and Success can bring.

But if he developed well he could turn into a poor mans Samuel Eto. Something about him reminds me of his style of play.

Either way Onyekuru despite the early hype will very likely be a periphral player for sE. I cannot see him having a major contribution to SE with all of the emerging players.

This is not necessarily a knock on Onyekuru but more a statement of where SE are today with a plethora of talents.

If Onyekuru were around a few years back in the Keshi or Oliseh era, he would have played a major role, but today he may not even be called up for most matches to even sit on the bench.

Without a doubt Chukwueze is a complete baller, the SE attacking three should have Kalu and Chukwueze with a prolific goal scorer in the middle. And please play Kalu on the left
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

It's all coming together for the SE.
I am happy
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Chei naija people and mouth..nah so we run am tire before Russia..when we land Russia , nah so we begin shout young team :thumbs:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Chei naija people and mouth..nah so we run am tire before Russia..when we land Russia , nah so we begin shout young team :thumbs:
If you had any ear functioning, you go don hear "youngest team" way before WC.
But you nor dey hear word.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Chei naija people and mouth..nah so we run am tire before Russia..when we land Russia , nah so we begin shout young team :thumbs:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wale1974 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Eti Bigporkey ti di ti pé̩.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Typical goal disrespecting MUSA the man wants us to bench MUSA for upcoming players like Kalu and Chukwueze instead of giving them time to assimilate with the team. You we’re suggesting the same thing for onyekuru just few months ago now you’re calling him the best yalent
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

He needs to go clear his child support in Germany.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

eyan wrote:He needs to go clear his child support in Germany.
Somebody he met on Instagram too...
Some of these lads need life counseling.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Gotti wrote:
Waiting for his side of the story but I'm not comfortable with someone who isn't taking care of his child representing the country. Shameful

That said what's wrong with impregnating a girl from instagram?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

niyi wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Waiting for his side of the story but I'm not comfortable with someone who isn't taking care of his child representing the country. Shameful

That said what's wrong with impregnating a girl from instagram?
She is not a church girl :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Damunk wrote:
Na “youngest team” we go chop? If you’re not winning now, there’s no guarantee you’ll win in the future so, let’s not cover up our weaknesses with the “youngest team” excuse :!:

Cheers.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Long-term, his future may lie as a CF. I noticed that he is not really interested in coming deep to get the ball or being overly involved in the build-up play. Nor does he frequently take on the full back, dribble, then whip in a cross. He comes alive in an around the penalty area. All he does is score! An instinctive finisher like him is probably better utilised as a CF rather than as a winger.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote:Long-term, his future may lie as a CF. I noticed that he is not really interested in coming deep to get the ball or being overly involved in the build-up play. Nor does he frequently take on the full back, dribble, then whip in a cross. He comes alive in an around the penalty area. All he does is score! An instinctive finisher like him is probably better utilised as a CF rather than as a winger.
Yep, sounds like Onye...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

wiseone wrote:Long-term, his future may lie as a CF. I noticed that he is not really interested in coming deep to get the ball or being overly involved in the build-up play. Nor does he frequently take on the full back, dribble, then whip in a cross. He comes alive in an around the penalty area. All he does is score! An instinctive finisher like him is probably better utilised as a CF rather than as a winger.
Drops in too deep when played in that position and doesn't have the height to play that position well
Comments from his last coach at Anderlecht
https://www.anderlecht-online.be/nl/article/162218
INTERVIEWS
Henry Onyekuru is currently the best scoring striker of Anderlecht. Yet it is not an option for Hein Vanhaezebrouck to play him as a center striker. "I've already tried that through a few incursions, but that did not work out well."

"Henry does not currently have the feeling to make the right walking movements from that position", says the coach. "He may think he can, but on the basis of what I see, it is clear that he does not have the feeling, he looks for his position, often stands still and does not know where to go. "

According to Vanhaezebrouck, the Nigerian is much more dangerous if he can come from his flank. "Then he feels much more comfortable. He can then occasionally dive into the center, something he does well. When he plays centrally, he even has trouble making the movements outside. As long as that does not improve, it is not an option to play centrally with Onyekuru
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

What happened to Chinedu Obasi anyways
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I have been saying this for a long time.

Onyekuru is not a winger.

In fact for all the past talk that Musa isn't a winger either, Musa is far better out wide currently than Onyekuru.

Musa
Chukwueze
Kalu
Simon

are all better wingers than Onyekuru

I would guess that Okereke is also a better winger.

Frankly Onyekuru is a luxuory we cannot afford, IMO.

Onyekuru is not better up top than Ighalo, Onuachu, Oshimen

I now fully understand why Rohr was never much of a fan of Onyekuru.

The messed up thing though is that now that we have more wide options like Chukwueze, Okereke, Kalu Rohr now seems to be giving Onyekuru a chance that I dont think he deserves.
Last edited by vancity eagle on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

ANC wrote:What happened to Chinedu Obasi anyways
Dude is still playing, he actually scored yesterday :thumb:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Henry seems to have added gamesmanship (diving) to his game. In the last Galatasaray match against Rizespor (who had 3 Nigerians playing for them: Awaziem, Azubuike, and Aminu Umar), Gala were losing 1-2 in the dying moments of the game. Awaziem (Henry's Nigerian international team-mate!) cleared the ball and Henry went down clutching his leg as if someone shot him in the ankle with an AK47. The ref then awarded a very dodgy 91st minute penalty to Gala (even though it looked like there was no contact by Awaziem on Henry as Awaziem cleared the ball):

https://www.beinsports.com/us/turkish-s ... or/1189768

Mbaye Diagne converted (after missing a penalty in the first half). Rizespor's president was so angry that he said he would have shot the ref if he had a gun: https://www.turkishfootballnews.com/201 ... ident-gun/

Diagne's team-mates were pissed off with him after he insisted on taking the penalty despite missing in the first half.

The ref then added 10 minutes of injury time, during which of course, Diagne scored again to give Gala a 3-2 win. Criminal conspiracy here. Scandalous refereeing.

https://www.beinsports.com/us/turkish-s ... ne/1189716
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

wiseone wrote:Henry seems to have added gamesmanship (diving) to his game. In the last Galatasaray match against Rizespor (who had 3 Nigerians playing for them: Awaziem, Azubuike, and Aminu Umar), Gala were losing 1-2 in the dying moments of the game. Awaziem (Henry's Nigerian international team-mate!) cleared the ball and Henry went down clutching his leg as if someone shot him in the ankle with an AK47. The ref then awarded a very dodgy 91st minute penalty to Gala (even though it looked like there was no contact by Awaziem on Henry as Awaziem cleared the ball):

https://www.beinsports.com/us/turkish-s ... or/1189768

Mbaye Diagne converted (after missing a penalty in the first half). Rizespor's president was so angry that he said he would have shot the ref if he had a gun: https://www.turkishfootballnews.com/201 ... ident-gun/

Diagne's team-mates were pissed off with him after he insisted on taking the penalty despite missing in the first half.

The ref then added 10 minutes of injury time, during which of course, Diagne scored again to give Gala a 3-2 win. Criminal conspiracy here. Scandalous refereeing.

https://www.beinsports.com/us/turkish-s ... ne/1189716
Take a look at the trajectory of the ball again. Henry got to the ball before Awaziem.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Did you notice Henry go down a couple of light years after Awaziem cleared the ball? Even if there was contact (which is doubtful), it had the same impact as a feather landing on one's shoulder.
Cito wrote: Take a look at the trajectory of the ball again. Henry got to the ball before Awaziem.
Last edited by wiseone on Fri May 17, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

9jaMan wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:We all castigated Rohr for supposedly ignoring Onyekuru, myself included, but it is now becomming clear the reason why, and perhaps Rohr was not out of his mind.

I watched the full match of both Onyekuru, Chukwueze, and Success this past weekend, and despite Onyekuru's 2 goals, both Success and Chukwueze impressed me far more.

Onyekuru's first goal was a tap in, his second while a nice finish was just him being released on a breakaway. Chukwuezes goal was much nicer and involved more skill and composure. Onyekuru that I've seen play for SE lacks composure and messed up a few opportunities in which if he was more composed would have scored a few goals. Now we can say that he was a little nervous as he hasn't really had much time with SE, which is fair. But when I look at the 3 mentioned players above, Onyekuru is BY FAR the least dynamic. He depends very much on his SPEED, and he is not aggresive in defence, which is why I can see Rohr prefers both Moses Simon and Ahmed Musa.

Chukwueze seems to be much more effective in tight spaces than Onyekuru, as does Success. Success is far ahead of Onyekuru in terms of vision, football IQ, passing.

For me with the glutony of wide players we now seem to have, and with the likely addition of Ademola Lookman and Noah Bazee, Onyekuru will be out of the picture in terms of being a wide player for us.

I think he should reinvent himself as a striker to be honest, because he does seem to be one of the better finishers of our team, and his lack of defensive game and overall team play and contribution would probably make the striker his best suited position for us.

Only problem is that he lacks the strength and holdup play that both Ighalo and Success can bring.

But if he developed well he could turn into a poor mans Samuel Eto. Something about him reminds me of his style of play.

Either way Onyekuru despite the early hype will very likely be a periphral player for sE. I cannot see him having a major contribution to SE with all of the emerging players.

This is not necessarily a knock on Onyekuru but more a statement of where SE are today with a plethora of talents.

If Onyekuru were around a few years back in the Keshi or Oliseh era, he would have played a major role, but today he may not even be called up for most matches to even sit on the bench.

Without a doubt Chukwueze is a complete baller, the SE attacking three should have Kalu and Chukwueze with a prolific goal scorer in the middle. And please play Kalu on the left
Chulwueze cannot start. We can use him for last 20mins of a game we need to win.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

chief nfachairman wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Chulwueze cannot start. We can use him for last 20mins of a game we need to win.
Weytin do am?