Rohr opens old sore; "Why we lost to Argentina"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: Rohr opens old sore; "Why we lost to Argentina"

Post by john12 »

Story story story! you had your chances while Argentina took their chances. At the highest level, you have to be ruthless against the best teams in the world or be punished for it. Rohr tactics was 100% spot on considering his opponents but at the end of the day, water go always find its level
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Story story story! you had your chances while Argentina took their chances. At the highest level, you have to be ruthless against the best teams in the world or be punished for it. Rohr tactics was 100% spot on considering his opponents but at the end of the day, water go always find its level
Who selected or brought on the misfiring players? A coach has to own his blame to improve and move forward abeg...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

You can’t fault a coach for selecting the best available talents at his disposal. You and I know that rohr selected Nigeria possible best 23 and 11 so your reasons are invalid bro
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

wiseone wrote:Nigeria lost that game because:

1) They sat too deep and invited pressure from Argentina.

2) The ref bottled it and could not bring himself to award 2/3 penalties against Argentina. He decided that Rojo knocking the ball away with his arm in the penalty area is no longer a penalty, and that the same Rojo kicking Iheanacho in the head in the penalty area is not a penalty either.

3) During that last 15-20 minutes against Idowu was being run ragged and was clearly gassed. Rohr should have taken off Idowu for a fresh player. He did not, so Argentina kept relentlessly attacking down Nigeria's left side, and eventually scored from a cross that came over from the left back position where Idowu was supposed to be.
According to Rohr, you were watching a different match.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
kajifu wrote:This stupid German coach if he cant win ANC he should leave.SE should have top that group.Argentina was technically the weak team in that group.This team could have been in the final and likely win it.

Ok.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You can laugh all day but if Se top their group their way to final would have been clear .I hope you know who finish top of the group and end up in the final.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kajifu wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
kajifu wrote:This stupid German coach if he cant win ANC he should leave.SE should have top that group.Argentina was technically the weak team in that group.This team could have been in the final and likely win it.

Ok.
You can laugh all day but if Se top their group their way to final would have been clear .I hope you know who finish top of the group and end up in the final.
Chief, Croatia didn't get their way to the final because they topped their group.
Na wa for logicality for dis place. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

He must have been watching the other game between Croatia and Iceland....
Cellular wrote: According to Rohr, you were watching a different match.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Damunk wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

Ok.
Chief, Croatia didn't get their way to the final because they topped their group.
Na wa for logicality for dis place. :lol:
I hope you know if SE top that group the path to the final will be easier,only France was the team to beat.Believe me even Argentina would have gone far if they had top that group.France was a big block and any other team was easy to beat.Go look at how likes of Spain,Germany were found out .Go look at Croatia results after the top the group.I mean even England almost make the final which I don't think they are actually a better team than SE.Rohr hold this team back,benching Iwobi was enough for the sacking.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Sunset wrote:In a game where he left Echiejille, Shehu, Joel, Onazi, Ogu, Awaziem and Ebuehi on the bench? Guess what they all have in common? He should stop this nonsense abeg the game exposed him!!

Our Midfield needed support and Idowu was dropping too deep as it wore down, the only meaningful change he made was at HT with Ighalo coming on, only the lord knows what he was thinking to not bring on one of these guys.
Idowu who was the main person marking Messi. you want him to be attacking and forget messi and then he messes us up? Or remove Idowu who was doing a good job on messi and bring in a left footer like Echiejile (ROhr said he needed Idowu's right leg to cover messi who likes to cut in), or bring in Onazi to the left or Ogu or awaziem? I dont get it.

Abeg, like he said, he had 2 other assistants watching it from the top and sending in advice,hence, whatever you all think, watching it from TV, it is all NONSENSE compared to the views of the assistnats, coaches and the manager.

If you are better coaches or better at reading a game, why havent you all gotten jobs as assistant coaches for an Amatuer side or even ordinary analysts. But you are all here saying things that dont make ssense.
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

yes ooohh..Only team to fear was the Croats for me..I mean we could have settles argentina..They needed that game asap...what we were thinking , God knows!!!!!!!!! Playing for a win woud have forced a tie. But at the same time not taking them lightly..we were naive and it showed, and it paid (for the argies)!!!!!!!!!

fabio wrote:The players got carried away, instead of defending, they wanted to beat the Argentines for the first time in the World Cup.” ...

This is a sad reflection. Is Rohr saying the players didn't know that a draw was enough for qualification or the technical crew know that as well... They went to learn anyway.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Nigeria lost to the better team and the team that wanted it more on the day period.

If we can't string 5 passes together or do not know how to trap ball...or how to score a volley 10 yards from goal, then I know not know what we are doing.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Playing for a win against the likes of Messi, aguero, de Maria, banega, etc lol while your best player is at China lol. Rohr tactics was absolutely spot on but his players failed him when needed in addition to that, referee officiating fair
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

wiseone wrote:Nigeria lost that game because:

1) They sat too deep and invited pressure from Argentina.

2) The ref bottled it and could not bring himself to award 2/3 penalties against Argentina. He decided that Rojo knocking the ball away with his arm in the penalty area is no longer a penalty, and that the same Rojo kicking Iheanacho in the head in the penalty area is not a penalty either.

3) During that last 15-20 minutes against Idowu was being run ragged and was clearly gassed. Rohr should have taken off Idowu for a fresh player. He did not, so Argentina kept relentlessly attacking down Nigeria's left side, and eventually scored from a cross that came over from the left back position where Idowu was supposed to be.
This, except that I won't have taken off Idowu. He was doing ok but was being overworked by Messi and the other guy. Ebuehi was tested in that spot against Iceland and passed with flying colors, plus he gave Musa a platform to run at Iceland. Putting him on would have helped a lot, with or without Musa on the pitch as he's decent going forward too. It was a shame to watch the Argentine changes and game play out right before our eyes, it was so elementary and Rohr didn't respond, even after their first miss. Sadly we didn't survive the second. I can't blame Moses, he was a shadow of himself all game (actually all WC) but someone left him there despite having options on the bench.

I think it's Rohr that got caught up in the heat of the moment not the players.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Playing for a win against the likes of Messi, aguero, de Maria, banega, etc lol while your best player is at China lol. Rohr tactics was absolutely spot on but his players failed him when needed in addition to that, referee officiating fair
I don't get your point, Rohr HIMSELF said in the pre-game interview that he was going for a win, he knew his best player was in China when he said that, so why is he blameless?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Do not agree re Ebuehi. He came on against Iceland and his most notable contribution was to give away a penalty with a brainless "tackle" on a player who was near the touchline facing away from goal and posing zero threat to Nigeria's goal. Not sure how Ebuehi (LWB) "gave Musa a platform to run at Iceland" since Musa was playing CF in that game.

I actually think Ebuehi's rashness against Iceland is what made Rohr reluctant to bring him on against Argentina because it made it seem he was too unpredictable to be trusted in the final minutes of a key deciding group game.
felarey wrote: This, except that I won't have taken off Idowu. He was doing ok but was being overworked by Messi and the other guy. Ebuehi was tested in that spot against Iceland and passed with flying colors, plus he gave Musa a platform to run at Iceland. Putting him on would have helped a lot, with or without Musa on the pitch as he's decent going forward too. It was a shame to watch the Argentine changes and game play out right before our eyes, it was so elementary and Rohr didn't respond, even after their first miss. Sadly we didn't survive the second. I can't blame Moses, he was a shadow of himself all game (actually all WC) but someone left him there despite having options on the bench.

I think it's Rohr that got caught up in the heat of the moment not the players.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Sorry I meant going attack mode against Argentina with all those superstars. Obviously, you should go for a win at any game but when your opponents has ruthless forwards I suggest you just play conservative
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Sorry I meant going attack mode against Argentina with all those superstars. Obviously, you should go for a win at any game but when your opponents has ruthless forwards I suggest you just play conservative
But that’s not true, before the Croatia game he said he was hoping for a draw. He only promised wins vs Iceland and Argentina.
Super Eagus 4 Life!