DELTA STATE PRINCIPALS' CUP

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: DELTA STATE PRINCIPALS' CUP

Post by Sir V »

Odas wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Odas wrote:
asabatex wrote:Where are the powerhouses Hussein College, Urhobo College and St. Patrick College Asaba ?
First, I think St. Patrick College's (SPC) name has been changed to "Nnebisi College" long time ago. Second, SPC won many of its games with its Higher school certificate (HSC) students which many schools did not have. Thus SPC had undue advantage against other schools

Odas, In the old Bendel state, HSC student were not allowed to play the principal's cup, they played the Giwa Osagie Cup, but Students in the lower years could play along side the HSC boys in the competition. The Ministry of Education was very strict on this.

Nnebisi college or St Patricks won the Giwa Osagie cup on few occasions because the ministry of Education reduced the numbers of the HSC schools in Bendel state . Apart from FGC Warri that is a Federal school, Edo College, Government College Ugheli and St Patrick's were the only Schools that played in the Giwa Osagie Cup from 1974. Hussey College had HSC until 1974, same as Holy Thrinity college, but before then, Hussey College and Edo college were the schools that won the most cups.
Sir V. You are very correct in general. However, I was looking at the SPC's - total - victories over other schools in the vicinity, not only in Principal's cup.
My bro, one would have expected SPC to beat those school, but a big problem against St Anthony's College.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:[/video]
Did I hear the commentator say "...and its a goal! Oh, $@#%!!!!"?
At about 1:24
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I remember speaking with Chris Oyobio, who played for Lagos Academicals in 1971/72. Chris pointed out that he visited the camp of the East Central State (ECS) team the morning his team (Lagos) was to play against ECS. He was stunned by the size of the boots put out to dry in the sun by the East players that included Chukwu, Ogbueze, Ilodigwe, Ekeji, Ariri, etc. Those were MEN from the war about to play against youngsters in the Lagos team.
They would have lost at most 3 years of school (assuming no schooling at all)...
Therefore, though some of them may have been older, it couldn't have been by much.

Nonetheless one suspects that the experience of living in war zones for most (if not all) of those 3 years likely rendered them far more MATURE than regular youngsters!
Gotti,

Your mention of the war experience strikes a cord. I remember interviewing Peter "Eusebio" Anieke at his home late in 2008 and he discussed his (as well as Tony Igwe's) experiences playing for Stores as the war was on and their parents were in Biafra. Then I remember Emma Okocha's Blood on the Niger book chronicling the Asaba massacre under Murtala Mohammed's command. I believe it was Pat Adinkwe (not sure now) one of several top talents that were massacred then by the federal troops after they entered Asaba. One thing that is missing is a book on Football and the Nigerian Civil War. I feel that there are stories untold to the larger public.
E2:
Patrick Adinkwe played outside left for the '69 Finbarr's team. The person to whom you are referring to was the great Sydney Asiodu of Igbobi College who represented Nigeria in track and field in the 1964 Olympics. He was senselessly murdered by the Federal troops in 1968 at the University of Nigeria Nsukka campus despite the pleas from fellow students. Sydney was a classmate and friend of my oldest brother.
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Abbey wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I remember speaking with Chris Oyobio, who played for Lagos Academicals in 1971/72. Chris pointed out that he visited the camp of the East Central State (ECS) team the morning his team (Lagos) was to play against ECS. He was stunned by the size of the boots put out to dry in the sun by the East players that included Chukwu, Ogbueze, Ilodigwe, Ekeji, Ariri, etc. Those were MEN from the war about to play against youngsters in the Lagos team.
They would have lost at most 3 years of school (assuming no schooling at all)...
Therefore, though some of them may have been older, it couldn't have been by much.

Nonetheless one suspects that the experience of living in war zones for most (if not all) of those 3 years likely rendered them far more MATURE than regular youngsters!
Gotti,

Your mention of the war experience strikes a cord. I remember interviewing Peter "Eusebio" Anieke at his home late in 2008 and he discussed his (as well as Tony Igwe's) experiences playing for Stores as the war was on and their parents were in Biafra. Then I remember Emma Okocha's Blood on the Niger book chronicling the Asaba massacre under Murtala Mohammed's command. I believe it was Pat Adinkwe (not sure now) one of several top talents that were massacred then by the federal troops after they entered Asaba. One thing that is missing is a book on Football and the Nigerian Civil War. I feel that there are stories untold to the larger public.
E2:
Patrick Adinkwe played outside left for the '69 Finbarr's team. The person to whom you are referring to was the great Sydney Asiodu of Igbobi College who represented Nigeria in track and field in the 1964 Olympics. He was senselessly murdered by the Federal troops in 1968 at the University of Nigeria Nsukka campus despite the pleas from fellow students. Sydney was a classmate and friend of my oldest brother.

Clement Okwufuleze, Patrick De Adinkwe, Raphael Uwechie (pilot), Patrick Ezeocha, and Alvilco won the 1971 principals cup for Hussey college.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Abbey wrote:
Sir V wrote:Kai! St Anthony's College Obuluku. Great footballing school back in the day.
These boys dey try sha. Na men dey play those days o. Imagine Okwufuleze, iron gate, Paul Ogbue, even Oweche the goalkeeper. Looking back now we should appreciate these young boys. The talent is there.
Abbey, didn’t Okwufuleze, aka Pikollo, attend Ubulu-Ukwu Granmar School? Of course he could have attended both schools at different times. I know he ended up at Edo College b4 ending his secondary school career at Hussey college. One of the most skilled players I’ve ever laid eyes on. Like Ogbueze, he was another one who fell through the cracks. Paul Ogbue also ended up at Edo College. Imagine, at some point, Edo College had TC Okolie, Okwufuleze, Sunday Izebvighie, Sylvester Asenime, Paul Ogbue, Tony Amayo and Damian Ogunsuyi on the same team. That was downright scary :!:

Cheers.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Abbey wrote:
Sir V wrote:Kai! St Anthony's College Obuluku. Great footballing school back in the day.
These boys dey try sha. Na men dey play those days o. Imagine Okwufuleze, iron gate, Paul Ogbue, even Oweche the goalkeeper. Looking back now we should appreciate these young boys. The talent is there.
Abbey, didn’t Okwufuleze, aka Pikollo, attend Ubulu-Ukwu Granmar School? Of course he could have attended both schools at different times. I know he ended up at Edo College b4 ending his secondary school career at Hussey college. One of the most skilled players I’ve ever laid eyes on. Like Ogbueze, he was another one who fell through the cracks. Paul Ogbue also ended up at Edo College. Imagine, at some point, Edo College had TC Okolie, Okwufuleze, Sunday Izebvighie, Sylvester Asenime, Paul Ogbue, Tony Amayo and Damian Ogunsuyi on the same team. That was downright scary :!:

Cheers.
Correct. Okwufulaze actually started at St Anthony Ubulu-Ukwu. Edo College was a football power house back in the day. You forgot Patrick Iyamu(Paddy Whiskey) of Edo College. Damien Ogunsiyi played for Nigeria.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Sir V wrote:
Abbey wrote:

Cheers.
Correct. Okwufulaze actually started at St Anthony Ubulu-Ukwu. Edo College was a football power house back in the day. You forgot Patrick Iyamu(Paddy Whiskey) of Edo College.
Yes Okwufuleze started at St Anthony. Patrick Adinkwe started at Finbarr's (1969) and ended up at Hussey College. Tony Amayo (1970) started at Finbarr's and ended up at Edo College. The '71 Edo College team has to be one of the best in that era!!
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Abbey wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Abbey wrote:

Cheers.
Correct. Okwufulaze actually started at St Anthony Ubulu-Ukwu. Edo College was a football power house back in the day. You forgot Patrick Iyamu(Paddy Whiskey) of Edo College.
Yes Okwufuleze started at St Anthony. Patrick Adinkwe started at Finbarr's (1969) and ended up at Hussey College. Tony Amayo (1970) started at Finbarr's and ended up at Edo College. The '71 Edo College team has to be one of the best in that era!!
That is correct, but Hussey college won it that year by beating Notre Dame College Ozoro 3-2 at the Warri township Stadium. It was Notre Dame that Knocked out Edo College in the semi-Final.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Abbey, didn’t Okwufuleze, aka Pikollo, attend Ubulu-Ukwu Granmar School? Of course he could have attended both schools at different times. I know he ended up at Edo College b4 ending his secondary school career at Hussey college. One of the most skilled players I’ve ever laid eyes on. Like Ogbueze, he was another one who fell through the cracks. Paul Ogbue also ended up at Edo College. Imagine, at some point, Edo College had TC Okolie, Okwufuleze, Sunday Izebvighie, Sylvester Asenime, Paul Ogbue, Tony Amayo and Damian Ogunsuyi on the same team. That was downright scary :!:
Don't know about Okwufuleze (who I believed played with Ogbueze in the same Nigeria Academicals team that beat Ghana in the early-1970s), but Godwin Ogbueze did not "fall through the cracks". Rather, he simply emigrated abroad to the US collegiate system (like so many other young stars of that era), ending up at Clemson University where he won ACC Player-of-the-Year twice in a row, as well as was on the All-ACC Team three years on the trot. He now lives in North Carolina, but one of sons (Braxton Ogbueze) has been playing for the Nigerian senior men's basketball team D'Tigers.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Abbey wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Gotti,

E2:

Abbey,

Thanks. The guy that I meant was Sidney Asiodu. Man, the stories surrounding some of the senseless killings and in cold blood were harrowing to state the least.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics