Okosisi Campbell...and now his watch is over!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Okosisi Campbell...and now his watch is over!

Post by Coach »

Sol Campbell, King of the North
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -job-92nd/

There might be a time, Sol Campbell wondered, when a black manager in English football’s top four divisions is less remarkable than it is in 2018, but for now one of the game’s most celebrated black players taking his first steps in a new career still felt like a big moment.

At Moss Rose, the home of the club 92nd in the professional game, they are running out of chances, without a manager since October, and it is amid that mood of desperation that their new man, with his sprinkling of star dust, has arrived. This giant of several England teams, now 44, seemed at times an incongruous figure in the McIlroy Suite, the most presentable part of a tired little stadium. For 20 years and over 73 caps, Campbell was one of the most recognisable figures in the game, and now here he was trying to rescue Macclesfield Town from sliding back into non-League.

“I hope I’m not judged just on success, I hope I’m judged on what kind of ship I run,” he said. “In the end, hopefully the football wins and people start looking at all scenarios. In the end, I just want to become a manager, forget whatever colour you are, that’s the way it should be, really.”

Otherwise he was eager to turn his focus on a team already four points from safety and heading back to the National League from where they were promoted in May. He chuckled when the remarks of another former Macclesfield manager, Paul Ince, were put to him, that Campbell had to start at the very bottom club while others, such as Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, had been handed much more viable propositions as managers.

“You have to start somewhere,” Campbell said. “I am prepared to start anywhere. The opportunity came up and there was no messing about. It was very clean. It was one agent and the owner, very simple and I like that, a little bit old school. You’ve got to take your opportunities and I felt it was the right time.”
Last edited by Coach on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Welcome to Macclesfield Sol Campbell: First of his Name

Post by Coach »

Godspeed. Lets hope this sinking ship proves a stretch of canvas for, possibly, one of the greatest minds in football.

Lost on pens in the checkatrade to Magpies under 21s, but bigger fish to fry. If he keeps them up, he'll take seat amongst the gods.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Which reminds me.....when is our man Oliseh going back into management?
Black Managers need people like him to make their case.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:Which reminds me.....when is our man Oliseh going back into management?
Oliseh, hhmmmmm. When you take on the establishment and it turned into a legal master, people will be afraid of your own matter.

Two jobs, one ends in acrimonious split- Nigeria and the other, legal ramblings.

Good luck to our Oliseh
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Damunk wrote:Which reminds me.....when is our man Oliseh going back into management?

My understanding ( please correct me if I am wrong ) is that he is still on contract and cant seek a job until the contract with sittard runs out ?

Can anyone confirm ?
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Sol go hear wen. Abeg let his players do to him what he did to Spurs.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cristao II wrote:Sol go hear wen. Abeg let his players do to him what he did to Spurs.

what did he do to Spuds?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Big Solzier, one-nil down at the Community Stadiums. Shots raining in, poverty of possession. Newspapers licking their lips.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Huge right hand and Campbell’s down. He’s not going to make the count, 8-9-10!!! The papers will have a field day. The greatest name in football falls at the first hurdle. Hardly the most appetising of winter break spots but one gets the feeling Sol will need to call in the favours come January, three or four loanees. Needless to say, his career depends on it!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

3 points in the bag, huge result vs the Crawley Gang. Notts County raining on the parade sadly.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

7 points from a possible 9, Solzier King of the North

Scott Wilson hit a vital brace as Sol Campbell's Macclesfield Town boosted their survival hopes with a 2-1 win at relegation rivals Notts County.

sauce: thebeeb.co.uk
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Coach wrote:7 points from a possible 9, Solzier King of the North

Scott Wilson hit a vital brace as Sol Campbell's Macclesfield Town boosted their survival hopes with a 2-1 win at relegation rivals Notts County.

sauce: thebeeb.co.uk
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

If Sol wants to coach then why would he take over a 4th division side? He could've built up his career as an assistant for a Premiership or Championship side or at the NT level and then worked his way up from there. Henry went from being an assistant at Arsenal, then Belgium, to become manager of one of Europe's biggest clubs. Sol is in a lose lose situation. If his club goes down his coaching reputation is damaged and if he does well no one will care because its the bloody 4th division.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Heliopolis wrote:If Sol wants to coach then why would he take over a 4th division side? He could've built up his career as an assistant for a Premiership or Championship side or at the NT level and then worked his way up from there. Henry went from being an assistant at Arsenal, then Belgium, to become manager of one of Europe's biggest clubs. Sol is in a lose lose situation. If his club goes down his coaching reputation is damaged and if he does well no one will care because its the bloody 4th division.
That is where Ince started from then moved higher and all he did was keep Macclesfield up then he went to mk dons
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Survival would be a huge return for Campbell and would certainly earmark him for bigger jobs in the lower leagues. @Helio, what one has proposed as a critique of Campbell's choice of starting point only serves to highlight the obstacles facing the black British ex-pro intent on establishing a career in management. How many Henrys or Seedorfs has there been in England?
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Heliopolis wrote:If Sol wants to coach then why would he take over a 4th division side? He could've built up his career as an assistant for a Premiership or Championship side or at the NT level and then worked his way up from there. Henry went from being an assistant at Arsenal, then Belgium, to become manager of one of Europe's biggest clubs. Sol is in a lose lose situation. If his club goes down his coaching reputation is damaged and if he does well no one will care because its the bloody 4th division.
Are they been given the opportunities? Sol can possibly get a job with goons but not with Spurs. Loyalty has it's benefits. Ugo Ehiogu (RIP), a Villa man was given a coaching job with Spurs
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Should he force himself to a EPL team?Show up at beloved that he wants to be an assistant or spurs that he hurt them?
Been a black man is not easy,
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Campbell takes the knee at Carlisle, 2-1 away defeat.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Due to his behaviour - he cant even approach Spurs to loan players..
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

As it stands, Big Solzier, First of his name, acutist brain in the business, relegating the mighty Macclesfield.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Huge goal, the Maccles level and staying up if they stand firm.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cristao II wrote:Due to his behaviour - he cant even approach Spurs to loan players..
Perhaps he can approach Arsenal, a better team with better young players?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

I don’t care what other spurs supporters think of him but well done Sol Campbell - giving black coaches a good reputation in a white mans league :clap: :clap:

The question is this - will Macclesfield keep him if they end up in a relegation battle?