CAF HANDLING OF HOSTING RIGHTS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ogiso
Egg
Egg
CAF HANDLING OF HOSTING RIGHTS

Post by ogiso »

It seems to me that CAF has made a right hash of handling the hosting right matters relating to the next few ANCs. Firstly increasing the number of teams for the tournament part way through qualifying for 2019. Stripping Cameroon of 2019 hosting is understandable, but taking a unilateral decision to take 2021 away from Ivory Coast is amateurish. This is then compounded with the incrediluty of awarding 2021 to Cameroon! For all Hayatou’s faults I doubt that such ridiculous decisions were made under his tenure. I’m still not convinced of the wisdom of moving the tournament to June/July either.

Would be interesting to hear what people think.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF HANDLING OF HOSTING RIGHTS

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Taking the hosting rights of Cameroon was of cause the best thing to do but not having anyone on standby was a mistake as of now they don't have a host to replace them,if South Africa or Egypt are not up to hosting what happens next?
I do think playing the AFCON in June/July is the logical thing to do as Africa does import a lot of their players to Europe and missing in the winter whilst the European season is in progress can't be good for anyone.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Africa should do what is best for Africa not Europe or for a few players that play in Europe. The Afcon should be held in January not June. We have to develop African leagues.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote:Africa should do what is best for Africa not Europe or for a few players that play in Europe. The Afcon should be held in January not June. We have to develop African leagues.
That's something that doesn't look like we're going to do any time soon and CAF can't wait for its 56 members to fix up before making a decision even if they where to set standards for members before competing in any CAF competitions only a few will be able to compete.
How does playing in June or July help to develope African football?CAF has expanded the African Champions league and have the Chan (for home based international players) if that isn't helping what will?
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Move to a Nations League format.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

kalani JR wrote:Move to a Nations League format.
Why?
How does this help Africa?

PS: Africa is not Nigeria....
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

ohenhen1 wrote:Africa should do what is best for Africa not Europe or for a few players that play in Europe. The Afcon should be held in January not June. We have to develop African leagues.
Why January? what about March? ... or April? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Kabalega wrote:
Why?

Teams get consistent competitive games that align with the world football [read European] calendar. No country is burdened with hosting a dozen plus teams for two weeks since we've seen that very few can actually handle that load.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

How is having the tourney is January any better for Africa than having it in June?

CHAN is supposed to help develop African leagues and African leagues should put structures in place to develop itself, not via AFCON.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

kalani JR wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Why?

Teams get consistent competitive games that align with the world football [read European] calendar. No country is burdened with hosting a dozen plus teams for two weeks since we've seen that very few can actually handle that load.
WTF! :!: :!: :shock: :shock:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

folem wrote:
Why January? what about March? ... or April? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
... January to April in any of the years AFCON tournament is in motion is okay, provided it's not in June, July and August (month of rainy season). :D :D
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Kabalega wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Why?

UEFA runs football is that what confused you?
blackjack
Egg
Egg

Post by blackjack »

I mostly agree. The worst decision was turning the 2019 and 2021 contests into 24 team tournaments when the hosts made bids to host 16 teams tournaments.
Where I'm not sure I agree is when some people say moving the tournament to june was a mistake. I'd say if the tournament is played in the northern hemisphere and CAF keeps it in june, then yes it's also a stupid decision. However when the tournament is played in the southern hemisphere, I think june is the best period. This is why I really hope South Aftica host the next afcon and not Egypt.
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

Most of Western Africa will be in its rainy season in June/July. And it can’t be held in the Southern Hemisphere all the time.
blackjack wrote:I mostly agree. The worst decision was turning the 2019 and 2021 contests into 24 team tournaments when the hosts made bids to host 16 teams tournaments.
Where I'm not sure I agree is when some people say moving the tournament to june was a mistake. I'd say if the tournament is played in the northern hemisphere and CAF keeps it in june, then yes it's also a stupid decision. However when the tournament is played in the southern hemisphere, I think june is the best period. This is why I really hope South Aftica host the next afcon and not Egypt.
blackjack
Egg
Egg

Post by blackjack »

ogiso wrote:Most of Western Africa will be in its rainy season in June/July. And it can’t be held in the Southern Hemisphere all the time.
blackjack wrote:I mostly agree. The worst decision was turning the 2019 and 2021 contests into 24 team tournaments when the hosts made bids to host 16 teams tournaments.
I'd say the best thing to do is to change depending on the chosen location with the climate as the only criteria. June when it's hosted in the south, january when it's in North Africa.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

blackjack wrote:
ogiso wrote:Most of Western Africa will be in its rainy season in June/July. And it can’t be held in the Southern Hemisphere all the time.
I'd say the best thing to do is to change depending on the chosen location with the climate as the only criteria. June when it's hosted in the south, january when it's in North Africa.
There has to be some consistency with setting these dates, maybe the next world cup will change that.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Everything with Africa is fraught with confusion as a result of not having a clear identity or goal. No wonder confusion reigns on the continent
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

oloye wrote:Everything with Africa is fraught with confusion as a result of not having a clear identity or goal. No wonder confusion reigns on the continent
But with all this men of God in Africa,why are they not praying for change?
Our continent need God blessing to touch hearts and change us.We are so backward that some of us in abroad so happy as if we left hell to heaven and meet God.
Simple planning even with those who spend most of t heir life in first world countries is worst
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...even with the move to summer month, there may not be star players available. Wait and see as some will want to go on vacation after a long season for club.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mcal wrote:...even with the move to summer month, there may not be star players available. Wait and see as some will want to go on vacation after a long season for club.

KPOM. CAF is about to find out, bros. Trying to appease European clubs will end up being about biting one's fingers.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

CAF is a disaster. Its no coincidence we're the most backward footballing continent on the planet. ACN should be in January, every 2 years, with 16 teams, period.

Also, why the heck do we change our hosts like musical chairs? Host countries have like 5 years to prepare. If they don't show significant progress 2-3 years before an ACN, they should be stripped. None of this nonsense about stripping hosts 6 months prior. We shouldn't have another ACN in Egypt or SA so soon. Having it in Egypt in June will mean having to play the games at like 9pm local time, otherwise its going to be 40 degrees celcius.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Africa is a disgrace!!!
52 countries and we cannot get just one to organize an African cup

Like I suggested once, which some of u blew off, it's time the ANC was held outside Africa
A nations cup Ghana-Nigeria game in Chicago, Houston or London will definitely have better attendance than in say Duoala, Rabat or Nairobi
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

kalani JR wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Why?

UEFA runs football is that what confused you?
Africans bending over and opening yansh for Europe is what confused me.