Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by tfco »

wiseone wrote:Good result against Newcastle. The type of game Utd have strguggled to win in the last few seasons. Slight tactical tweak with Matic and Andrew Smith sitting deeper in midfield and allowing PP to roam further forward. They are not a flat midfield 3. At times it resembles a 4-2-1-3 or 4-2-3-1.

With proper coaching and discipline, Rashford will wreck more defenders' careers for the next 10 years.
true

last season's loss still hurts. i believe it was a set piece in the dying minutes IIRC

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Rashford is coming good, with good coaching, sky the limit
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

With 2 transfer windows coming in the next 6 months, which areas of squad need strengthening? I think the key areas are FB, CD, CM, and a winger.

FB: Sidibe (plus Shaw, Dalot, and TFM to come back from loan - the FB positions should be good for the foreseeable future).

CD: De Ligt (stop going for injury prone or about to hit 30 defenders like Boateng and Toby). Get a youngin.

CM: Ideally this is a position that Man Utd should never even have been trying to recruit for. The losses to Liverpool and Man City demonstrated that the team are lacking a technically adept CM who is comfortable holding the ball when being manically pressed deep in his own half by the opposition (AKA they have not replaced Carrick or Scholes). Man Utd absorb a lot of pressure because when they are pressed, they do not have anyone comfortable enough on the ball to turn away and play passes in tight areas under pressure to move the team 25-40 yards up the pitch. They had such a player in Daley Blind but then sold him back to Ajax in another one of the boneheaded transfer decisions of recent times. Blind or Pereira could do that job but they might need another midfielder (Savic or Rabiot?).

Winger: is it true that Dembele is unsettled at Barca? If so - get him. If not, then go for Sancho at Dortmund (who we know are a selling club and let their stars leave if the price is right).

Out: Tony V, Rojo (too wild and reckless - makes Bailly look steady), Lindelof (still not convinced by him), Wilson. Send Dalot out on loan to get experience, and bring TFM and Tuanzebe back from loan.
marko wrote:Rashford is coming good, with good coaching, sky the limit
Last edited by wiseone on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

everything was fine until you mentioned Lindelof

WHAT???? Did you see the MoTM performance he put in against Newcastle?

I will give you until end of Jan to change your mind. No long talk
I would also keep Rojo

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Lindelof has improved in the last few games (which is not really saying a lot given his tragic-comic Charlie Chaplin slapstick "performances" before then). His United career is a giant blooper reel longer than Candid Camera's video library:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... -Cup-video

Mark Red has a bit of devil. You can have one walking red card magnet in the team but not two. Since Bailly is the better defender of the two (and can use his electric pace to recover from mistakes) I'd say keep him and move on Red to make room for a youngster (Tuanzebe).
tfco wrote:everything was fine until you mentioned Lindelof

WHAT???? Did you see the MoTM performance he put in against Newcastle?

I will give you until end of Jan to change your mind. No long talk
I would also keep Rojo
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Lindelof was good for Sweden at the world cup, he has improved his game, we have a few players in their 30s, surely replacement is needed, maybe the board are waiting for the next coach to identify where reinforcements are needed
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Will you guys beat Spurs next weekend or park bus?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

kajifu wrote:Will you guys beat Spurs next weekend or park bus?
No parking any bus next week, spurs defence better be ready, those 4 guys up front will give any defences issues, martial, rashford, lingard and Pogba

If we need to make changes, then we have lukaku, sanchez, not a bad subs to make, right now, Rashford is our number 1 striker

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I am not really interested in how Lindelof plays for teams not called Manchester United. He can be the star player for the Solar System All Stars for all I care. I will not be convinced if he keeps putting in the type of deer in the headlights shifts that have been his trademark for the past 2 seasons. Age of Man Utd CDs: Bailly (24), Lindelof (24), Jones (26), Smalling (29). The only players in the team aged over 30 are Tony V, Young, and Fellaini (all in their early 30s so hardly ancient).

Maybe United need to promote from within and stop looking for a magical center back signing from abroad (or Harry Maguire!). Tuanzebe looks the business. Has been doing a wonderful Paul McGrath impression on loan at Villa (whose fans swear he is the best defender in the Championship by a mile). He is 21 and I have been raving about him for 2-3 years on this thread. If you do not believe me, this is what Gary Lineker said after seeing him play for the first time in 2017: "Axel Tuanzebe looks a real prospect. Confident, quick, comfortable on the ball and real intelligence to his game".
marko wrote:Lindelof was good for Sweden at the world cup, he has improved his game, we have a few players in their 30s, surely replacement is needed, maybe the board are waiting for the next coach to identify where reinforcements are needed
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

hmmm

First it's Ashley Young (he should stay), now it's Ant

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

wiseone wrote:I am not really interested in how Lindelof plays for teams not called Manchester United. He can be the star player for the Solar System All Stars for all I care. I will not be convinced if he keeps putting in the type of deer in the headlights shifts that have been his trademark for the past 2 seasons. Age of Man Utd CDs: Bailly (24), Lindelof (24), Jones (26), Smalling (29). The only players in the team aged over 30 are Tony V, Young, and Fellaini (all in their early 30s so hardly ancient).

Maybe United need to promote from within and stop looking for a magical center back signing from abroad (or Harry Maguire!). Tuanzebe looks the business. Has been doing a wonderful Paul McGrath impression on loan at Villa (whose fans swear he is the best defender in the Championship by a mile). He is 21 and I have been raving about him for 2-3 years on this thread. If you do not believe me, this is what Gary Lineker said after seeing him play for the first time in 2017: "Axel Tuanzebe looks a real prospect. Confident, quick, comfortable on the ball and real intelligence to his game".
marko wrote:Lindelof was good for Sweden at the world cup, he has improved his game, we have a few players in their 30s, surely replacement is needed, maybe the board are waiting for the next coach to identify where reinforcements are needed
I do believe we should look within, Fosu-mensah is back from loan, This Tuanzebe bloke should be re-called ASAP! thats why we got OGS, he needs to do things differently from Mourinho and not pay lip service to the media or the fans

maybe the FA cup is a good opportunity to see what these kids can do, was a bit dissapointed with valencia, not 1 single cross in 90 minutes, could not go past his man, gave Atsu a field day, everything that was good about newcastle came from the right where mata / valencia went missing

I am sure OGS noticed this, it was only Newcastle, another big team will punish us, its that simple, we have a few exciting prospects within our set up, if OGS wants the job that badly, he has to do something different, he has to produce the next big thing from the ranks, he has to give someone a chance, they cannot be any worse than valencia as it it now

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Has TFM definitely returned to Man Utd? I thought Fulham were only considering it? (in order to free up squad loan allocation space to bring in another loan player - Gary Cahill of Chelsea has been mentioned).

I would leave Tuanzebe on loan at Villa for the rest of the season (so he gets a full season of first team experience in the rough and tumble Championship). Then bring him back for next season as a more seasoned pro who is accustomed to first team football.
marko wrote: I do believe we should look within, Fosu-mensah is back from loan, This Tuanzebe bloke should be re-called ASAP! thats why we got OGS, he needs to do things differently from Mourinho and not pay lip service to the media or the fans

maybe the FA cup is a good opportunity to see what these kids can do, was a bit dissapointed with valencia, not 1 single cross in 90 minutes, could not go past his man, gave Atsu a field day, everything that was good about newcastle came from the right where mata / valencia went missing

I am sure OGS noticed this, it was only Newcastle, another big team will punish us, its that simple, we have a few exciting prospects within our set up, if OGS wants the job that badly, he has to do something different, he has to produce the next big thing from the ranks, he has to give someone a chance, they cannot be any worse than valencia as it it now
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

wiseone wrote:Has TFM definitely returned to Man Utd? I thought Fulham were only considering it? (in order to free up squad loan allocation space to bring in another loan player - Gary Cahill of Chelsea has been mentioned).

I would leave Tuanzebe on loan at Villa for the rest of the season (so he gets a full season of first team experience in the rough and tumble Championship). Then bring him back for next season as a more seasoned pro who is accustomed to first team football.
marko wrote: I do believe we should look within, Fosu-mensah is back from loan, This Tuanzebe bloke should be re-called ASAP! thats why we got OGS, he needs to do things differently from Mourinho and not pay lip service to the media or the fans

I read this today that TFM is been sent back to united, dont know how far its true

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

tfco wrote:
Not surprised the bobo was dust at Fulham. The match that sealed his fate was one where he conceded an own goal and started vomiting on the field, subsequently failed to return for the second half. This loan spell did not do him any good, this is one of those examples why I said this loan deals don't do it for me. Get your transfer go to a club as a bona-fide player and do your thing.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Dammit. TFM will get stuck in a long RB queue at Man Utd (behind Tony V, Young, Dalot, and Darmian...). They should find another club to loan him to (even in a lower league). More important for him to get first team action at this stage of his career than to be playing reserve team football. He can come back to the club next year after they have created room for him by moving on some players (Tony V, Darmian to be sold, and Dalot to go out on loan).
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

tfco wrote:hmmm

At the end of the day, defence needs sorting out, and Jose was correct in that regard.

The big games against dangerous opponents will give us a clearer picture
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:

At the end of the day, defence needs sorting out, and Jose was correct in that regard.

the defence is a huge huge problem.

i've read that OGS does not plan any Jan purchases. i hope that is false

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

tfco wrote:
benteke wrote:

Attack is the best form of defence!

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marko wrote:
tfco wrote:
benteke wrote:

Attack is the best form of defence!
:thumbs: :thumbs:
so we do not need to buy any defenders

ok then....Lingard will attack that RW and Valencia/Dalot/Young can just cruise in that RB position for the remainder of the season

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

we definitely need defenders! Young / valencia wrong side of 30, Bailly, red card waiting to happen unless he cuts this out, we need a Koulibaly if we can get him, also right sided player

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...and a midfielder. Cannot believe we siddon look and watched as Rabiot ran down his contract and engineered a move to Barca FOR FREE!
marko wrote:we definitely need defenders! Young / valencia wrong side of 30, Bailly, red card waiting to happen unless he cuts this out, we need a Koulibaly if we can get him, also right sided player
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

wiseone wrote:...and a midfielder. Cannot believe we siddon look and watched as Rabiot ran down his contract and engineered a move to Barca FOR FREE!
marko wrote:we definitely need defenders! Young / valencia wrong side of 30, Bailly, red card waiting to happen unless he cuts this out, we need a Koulibaly if we can get him, also right sided player
the players approaching 30 or over 30, matic, Young, valencia, Mata, herrera, felliani they will have to be replaced at some point, at the end of this season, i cant see how the likes of Mata, felliani, young, valencia will still be at united, they have to gradually make way for a new generation, just hope the likes of Fred / dalot raise their game so we have ready made replacements for some of these players

Marko