CAF HANDLING OF HOSTING RIGHTS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ogiso
Egg
Egg
Re: CAF HANDLING OF HOSTING RIGHTS

Post by ogiso »

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Worst confederation in football.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Egypt named official host of the 2019 AFCON.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

kalani JR wrote:Worst confederation in football.
And we are all part and parcel of it
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Egypt are favourites to win now.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

In my opinion, the 24-team AFCON will make life difficult for some of these countries and we will be back here in the future repeating this very thread.

Think about this -- Cameroon looking to host in two years assuming Ivory Coast is ruled out for not being ready? Yet, the Ambazonia issue is not resolved. Fact is that Cameroon is still a doubt two years from now if Abazonia continues to fight.

Then think about Guinea that has now agreed to move its rights to 2025 with 2023 now with an undeclared host. Will Guinea be ready? I doubt it. Getting an additional two years unlikely to change a thing. Guinea is better off seeking a joint host (Sierra Leone?).
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The YeyeMan wrote:Egypt are favourites to win now.
I dont think they will win it. You heard it here first.

In fact they will probably do even worse than in 2017 where they lost in the final.

I predict semi finals for them.

I think Nigeria is the favourite IMO.

Morocco will do well as the tournament is in NA and they have a very good squad. Morocco will likely do better than Egypt as they have a much better team.

Ghana and CIV will come back strong IMO after missing out on the WC.

CIV in particular will have a very good team, they have a lot of up and comming talent doing very well in Europe's best leagues.

Guys like Christian Kouame (Genoa) Junior Traore (Empoli) and Sangare (Toulouse) haven't even been integrated into the team. Sangare is highly rated as the new Yaya Toure. Then add in the likes of Seko Fofana, Gbamin, Zaha, Kessie, Pepe, Cornet. You have a really good team, if they can get it all together.

For me I say watch out for

Nigeria, Morocco, Senegal, CIV
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:In my opinion, the 24-team AFCON will make life difficult for some of these countries and we will be back here in the future repeating this very thread.

Think about this -- Cameroon looking to host in two years assuming Ivory Coast is ruled out for not being ready? Yet, the Ambazonia issue is not resolved. Fact is that Cameroon is still a doubt two years from now if Abazonia continues to fight.

Then think about Guinea that has now agreed to move its rights to 2025 with 2023 now with an undeclared host. Will Guinea be ready? I doubt it. Getting an additional two years unlikely to change a thing. Guinea is better off seeking a joint host (Sierra Leone?).

Most of these countries couldn't handle a 16 team nations cup, let alone 24 teams.

Africa just doesn't have the infrastructure we have to be honest with ourselves.

I am watching the 24 team Asian cup hosted in UAE, and these gulf countries definately have the infrastructure, they are playing on pristine pitches despite these countries being located in the desert.

How can a country like Guinea or CIV host a 24 nations cup all by themselves. Absolutely not possible. There needs to be a lot of double hosts.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

vancity eagle wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:Egypt are favourites to win now.
I dont think they will win it. You heard it here first.

In fact they will probably do even worse than in 2017 where they lost in the final.

I predict semi finals for them.

I think Nigeria is the favourite IMO.

Morocco will do well as the tournament is in NA and they have a very good squad. Morocco will likely do better than Egypt as they have a much better team.

Ghana and CIV will come back strong IMO after missing out on the WC.

CIV in particular will have a very good team, they have a lot of up and comming talent doing very well in Europe's best leagues.

Guys like Christian Kouame (Genoa) Junior Traore (Empoli) and Sangare (Toulouse) haven't even been integrated into the team. Sangare is highly rated as the new Yaya Toure. Then add in the likes of Seko Fofana, Gbamin, Zaha, Kessie, Pepe, Cornet. You have a really good team, if they can get it all together.

For me I say watch out for

Nigeria, Morocco, Senegal, CIV
I don't think you understood.
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

There aren't any strong teams in Africa. With the 24 team format it'll be a crap shoot and your guess is as good as mine as to who'll be in the semis.