Akpoguma gives SE the middle finger

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Akpoguma gives SE the middle finger

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:Thank you my bro. Keshi was a SE legend. Won everything, and still called an unknown German Nigeria out of the blue and asked him to consider playing for Naija. Balogun said he was shaking when he got the call. He could have said no and that would have been that. Thank God he said yes because he is a stalwart for us.

Yet we have guys on CE who think that we should have pride (on top nothing) and wait for people to contact us. Like you say, it says a lot about some people that they think reaching out to potential players is begging and beneath Nigeria...as if we are Belgium and have Hazards and Lukaku everywhere.
Exactly.

I pay these guys no mind. Our qualification for the last WC would have been much more precarious without Ikeme in goal for example, or without Troost-Ekong and Balogun. And who can question the value that Ebuehi has brought to the setup? Would these people complain if David Alaba was lining up for Nigeria? I very much doubt it.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Simply put - The boy is from Germany.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:The idea that recruiting, at best, average foreign born players is preferred to nurturing home grown talent is not only infantile but detrimental.
Is this a stated policy of the NFF - to recruit foreign-born talent ahead of nurturing home grown talent?
Does it really have to be stated to be obvious? If it walks like a dog, eats like a dog and barks like a dog then it probably is a dog :!:

Cheers.
Not "probably!" It certainly is a dog :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

airwolex wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Rohr is busy begging all these defenders who have no chance with the German team, but people are here telling us how our current defenders are world class...
If we didn't recruit the Oyinbo wall were would we be? You need to save some people from themselves. :D

MAYBE...

...the pressure on them would be increasing to start developing local talent, the ultimate way to make real progress. How do you expect to win it all (maybe they don't harbor such vision) when you continue to settle for second best? Using this approach as a stop gap is one thing but to embrace it as a permanent approach as the NFF is doing is futile. In this way, it won't be long before whatever local structure is left crumbles. You can lose with dignity and class.
Bell
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

The YeyeMan wrote:
airwolex wrote:Thank you my bro. Keshi was a SE legend. Won everything, and still called an unknown German Nigeria out of the blue and asked him to consider playing for Naija. Balogun said he was shaking when he got the call. He could have said no and that would have been that. Thank God he said yes because he is a stalwart for us.

Yet we have guys on CE who think that we should have pride (on top nothing) and wait for people to contact us. Like you say, it says a lot about some people that they think reaching out to potential players is begging and beneath Nigeria...as if we are Belgium and have Hazards and Lukaku everywhere.
Exactly.

I pay these guys no mind. Our qualification for the last WC would have been much more precarious without Ikeme in goal for example, or without Troost-Ekong and Balogun. And who can question the value that Ebuehi has brought to the setup? Would these people complain if David Alaba was lining up for Nigeria? I very much doubt it.
Eeerrrmmm, Ikeme wasn’t in goal for most of our World Cup qualifiers. Ezenwa was :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

txj wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
txj wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:The idea that recruiting, at best, average foreign born players is preferred to nurturing home grown talent is not only infantile but detrimental.
Is this a stated policy of the NFF - to recruit foreign-born talent ahead of nurturing home grown talent?
Does it really have to be stated to be obvious? If it walks like a dog, eats like a dog and barks like a dog then it probably is a dog :!:

Cheers.

Has it ever occured to you that both could be going on simultaneously?
So they should but that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t be a priority,development of the game in your own country should be paramount!

And it is. But you can always prove me wrong....
As a proud Nigerian, I have hoped fervently that is indeed the case but there’s precious little evidence to support that theory. Tell me why our setup almost never includes home based players and why many of our players feel they have to accept cut throat contracts to play in backwater leagues around the world just to have a chance of being noticed? And when you’re done, try to explain why we spend our meager resources hiring foreign coaches who then spend yet more of our money scouring the obscure leagues all over the world looking for readymade and foreign born Nigerian soccer players? Then yet again, tell me why most of our local teams play on pitches fit only for growing corn and yams? Let’s call a spade a spade :!:

Cheers.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Eaglezbeak wrote:Can we move on?
No! It is called recruiting!

You recruit people who you think will add value.

Personally, even if it only their great-grandparents are the only link to Naijaria or they are Naijarian through marriage, we should do our best to recruit them. And it includes 'begging'.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bell wrote:
airwolex wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Rohr is busy begging all these defenders who have no chance with the German team, but people are here telling us how our current defenders are world class...
If we didn't recruit the Oyinbo wall were would we be? You need to save some people from themselves. :D

MAYBE...

...the pressure on them would be increasing to start developing local talent, the ultimate way to make real progress. How do you expect to win it all (maybe they don't harbor such vision) when you continue to settle for second best? Using this approach as a stop gap is one thing but to embrace it as a permanent approach as the NFF is doing is futile. In this way, it won't be long before whatever local structure is left crumbles. You can lose with dignity and class.
Bell
I am conflicted with this. I think Pinnick just loves foreign everything. He hasn't deemed it fit to devote resources towards providing a platform for our youth team players to get exposure and possibly be the feedstock of our National Team.

I don't know if they have made it mandatory for Premier League teams to have Youth Teams and a Youth League if possibly be played before the start of Premier League games.

They have to see it not only as a developmental project but also as a potential source of revenue. I don't know if they are even concerned that we haven't produced any African Class (World Class) legend in years? Or why our marginally talented youngsters are sequestered in kwasi-illegal academies and smuggled overseas never to reach their full potential.

While I agree that our best players are overseas, It saddens me that we don't have any superstar (upcoming) in the Naijarian league. Or even a deliberate attempt by the NFF to insist that local players be invited to camp to test their mettle against their foreign counterparts and also get some real professional coaching.

We have to try to find a good balance.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I don't see it as stop-gap and I don't see it as a strategy. It is what it is. We have talented Nigerians abroad, it would be the height of stupidity not to use them simply because you think they will stop mediocre players from having their moment with the NT.

I also don't get the point that getting Nigerians from abroad stops us developing our own talent. We are not producing high quality players but it is definitely not because of the likes of Iwobi, Moses, Ekong and Balogun who have done nothing but add to the team. Another way to look at it is that by adding an Iwobi to the team, local players will be forced to up their game to reach his level. If they cannot perform with the very best then they need to step aside. If I was a player in Enyimba I would love to be invited to camp to test myself against the Iwobis and Ekongs, the very best Nigeria has to offer at the moment.

Like Cellular has said, recruiting and poaching is not begging. You are selling prospects on the idea of playing for Nigeria. Some of you might want to look into how American Colleges roll out the red carpet for high school prospects to realize this.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Bell wrote:
airwolex wrote:

MAYBE...

Bell
You guys are sounding like some members of the English footballing fraternity that believe that young English talent are not being allowed to flourish because of the many top quality foreigners in the league.

I totally disagree that a pressure to develop talent will flourish if we stop getting foreign born Nigerians to play for us. I honestly do not see what one has to do with the other. You don;t have to stop walking to chew gum.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Cellular wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Can we move on?
No! It is called recruiting!

You recruit people who you think will add value.

Personally, even if it only their great-grandparents are the only link to Naijaria or they are Naijarian through marriage, we should do our best to recruit them. And it includes 'begging'.
Yes but when it’s clear the German,British,Dutch born player wants nothing to do with Nigeria can we move on?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

airwolex wrote:
Bell wrote:
airwolex wrote:

MAYBE...

Bell
You guys are sounding like some members of the English footballing fraternity that believe that young English talent are not being allowed to flourish because of the many top quality foreigners in the league.

I totally disagree that a pressure to develop talent will flourish if we stop getting foreign born Nigerians to play for us. I honestly do not see what one has to do with the other. You don;t have to stop walking to chew gum.
airwolex, WITH ALL RESPECT...

...I think you are misrepresenting our position. There are very few, if any, who're calling for the rejection of talented and eligible and diaspora kids - Balogun, Ekong, Ebuehi, Aina, Idowu et al. For the avoidance of doubt, those kids are more than welcome (when they want to be part of the team). The only thing they do is increase the pool of available players.

As you say, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Unfortunately, the NFF has made it so. Thus, their current emphasis is to woo these foreign-born, or -grown kids with ZERO internal development plan. As tonythetigerkiller put it: that's why Nigeria no longer produces anything close to a world class player. That's why players can't wait to end up in backwater leagues around the world. Is it not a simple logic to say that if Nigeria keeps settling for second best, it is proof that they will never win it all?
Bell
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:https://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/01/10/r ... a-reveals/

He would rather play 2 games for Germany than switch to Nigeria. Opar....go tell your pastor that one. :laugh:
where is the finger ? or should I guess its up your rear end while you are thinking its somewhere else
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."