NPFL 2019 Season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: NPFL 2019 Season

Post by ukwala »

Matchday 4 Results (23 Jan-2019)
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ukwala wrote:
Bros, how was our performance Vs MFM fc.....................we shouldn't be losing such games.
I know we played a CAF match but a big team like Rangers :thumbs: should have a large quality squad.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

zee wrote:
ukwala wrote:
Bros, how was our performance Vs MFM fc.....................we shouldn't be losing such games.
I know we played a CAF match but a big team like Rangers :thumbs: should have a large quality squad.
A narrow away loss is not uncommon in our league, moreso to MFM which is by no means a small team (they were runners-up to Plateau Utd in 2017). Neverthelss, I hope that was just a blip in our journey to the league title this year.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Way to go in the fight against hooliganism :thumb: :thumb:
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

The battle of the 7-Star Generals in Enugu is the star match of the day
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I love the turn out for the Rangers-Enyimba game. Sizeable crowd!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

MATCHDAY 5 RESULTS
Wikki 0-1 Sunshine Stars
Rivers Utd 1-0 MFM
Rangers 1-0 Enyimba
Lobi 3-0 Kwara Utd
Remo Stars 2-0 Katsina Utd
Tornadoes 0-0 Insurance
Yobe Stars 1-0 Heartland
Plateau Utd 0-0 Kano Pillars
Kada Stars 0-1 FCIU
Abia Warriors 0-0 Gombe Utd
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Enugu II wrote:I love the turn out for the Rangers-Enyimba game. Sizeable crowd!
Rangers :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: ............the last HOPE of NPFL.
Saving Nigerian football as usual :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ukwala wrote:MATCHDAY 5 RESULTS
Wikki 0-1 Sunshine Stars
Rivers Utd 1-0 MFM
Rangers 1-0 Enyimba
Lobi 3-0 Kwara Utd
Remo Stars 2-0 Katsina Utd
Tornadoes 0-0 Insurance
Yobe Stars 1-0 Heartland
Plateau Utd 0-0 Kano Pillars
Kada Stars 0-1 FCIU
Abia Warriors 0-0 Gombe Utd
Looking good, time to lay a 4 match winning run.
Rangers forever. :clap: :clap: :clap:
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Enugu II wrote:I love the turn out for the Rangers-Enyimba game. Sizeable crowd!
Rangers v Enyimba is always a crowd-puller... :thumbs: :thumbs:
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

zee wrote:
Rangers :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: ............the last HOPE of NPFL.
Saving Nigerian football as usual :clap: :clap: :clap:
:thumbs: Yes oo!! :thumbs: :thumbs:
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Five Things We Learnt As Rangers Overcome Enyimba In Oriental Derby
https://npfl.ng/five-things-we-learnt-a ... tal-derby/
By Clement Nwankpa Jr

On Jan 28, 2019 51 0
Ajani Ibrahim’s 40th minute strike was all Rangers needed to beat Enyimba 1-0 in the Oriental Derby. We learnt five things from the game.

ABD’ALLAH STRUGGLING TO FIT ONUWA INTO HIS STARTING ELEVEN

Chukwuka Onuwa has been having difficulties starting games since joining Enyimba from MFM this term. He got a rare start against Rangers alongside Austin Oladapo in midfield. There had been questions surrounding the workability of having both players start games together. This game highlighted what a luxury Onuwa is in Usman Abd’allah’s Enyimba. His presence was responsible for Rangers’ first half dominance leading to the solitary goal. By the moment he was removed in the 46th minute, Enyimba competed well. Abd’allah likes his midfielders to win the ball as well as carry it. Onuwa’s poor marking abilities make him a liability and he was the reason the team yielded the midfield to their hosts in that first half that decided the game.

WITHOUT ODITA, RANGERS DEFENCE LOOKS MORE STABLE

Rangers skipper Okechukwu Odita is highly thought of at the club. Somehow, they have had difficulties moving on from him despite his advancing age. He has slowed down and is more susceptible to the fast forwards that populate the modern game. His past exploits for the club speak volumes but he is always one tackle away from calamity. After his blunder gifted Lobi Stars the Super Cup, the technical crew had decided to go with younger defenders. The Semiu Liadi/Pape Ousmane combo was steady in this game. It was hard to believe they were playing together for the first time. Ousmane particularly deserves commendation for his timely interventions.[MY COMMENT: IMHO, I see Odita is loved as captain but he must be well over 30 years old by now. This guy played as far back as the late 1990s, if I am not mistaken, and pictures show a protruding stomach and yet he was still considered for a starting spot as a center back? Benching him was the way to go. He really should have retired.]

THAT MUSTAPHA WORLDIE THAT WASN’T TO BE

This league is really loaded with talents, producing magical moments weekly. We still remember that Sikiru Olatunbosun wonder strike against Rangers two seasons ago that was voted CNN goal of the week. This game missed another worldie by the whiskers. In the 86th minute, Abdulrahman Bashir’s cross was met by Ibrahim Mustapha with an overhead kick that would have rivalled Cristiano Ronaldo’s Champions League strike last season if it had gone in. But it missed target by inches. Many at the arena thought Enyimba had equalised.

BOBBY ALMOST BLEW THIS

Rangers made a like-for-like substitution in the 67th minute bringing on Bobby Clement for Michael Uchebo. This nearly proved costly. Within 20 minutes, Bobby had been booked twice and consequently sent off. At this point, Enyimba had seized the initiative with Bashir’s introduction. If this numerical advantage had occurred earlier, the result could have been different. Ultimately, the Flying Antelopes had to just about cross the finish line.

ENUGU FA LEAD THE ANTI-VIOLENCE CRUSADE

Kudos must go to Enugu FA for a vigorous anti-violence campaign throughout the game’s duration. A billboard was displayed pitch-side with the inscription ‘This is the Cathedral…Home of fair play…No encroachment…No hooliganism…No violence…Offenders will be prosecuted.” Coupled with the constant announcements over the public address system in English and Igbo languages, the conscious effort to forestall crowd disturbances at this venue was visible. Other state FAs should take a cue from Enugu.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:[MY COMMENT: IMHO, I see Odita is loved as captain but he must be well over 30 years old by now. This guy played as far back as the late 1990s, if I am not mistaken, and pictures show a protruding stomach and yet he was still considered for a starting spot as a center back? Benching him was the way to go. He really should have retired.]
Okey Odita (35 years) has NOT been a starter for Rangers this new season...

In fact, he has not started for Rangers since the November 2018 Super Cup game against Lobi Stars. He has neither started in any of the CAF Confederation Cup games nor in the 2 leagues games played thus far. However, he is still club captain (sort of like Keshi and Yobo in their final SE days), and since this is likely his last active season with Rangers there's been talk of sponsoring him on a coaching course.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:[MY COMMENT: IMHO, I see Odita is loved as captain but he must be well over 30 years old by now. This guy played as far back as the late 1990s, if I am not mistaken, and pictures show a protruding stomach and yet he was still considered for a starting spot as a center back? Benching him was the way to go. He really should have retired.]
Okey Odita (35 years) has NOT been a starter for Rangers this new season...

In fact, he has not started for Rangers since the November 2018 Super Cup game against Lobi Stars. He has neither started in any of the CAF Confederation Cup games nor in the 2 leagues games played thus far. However, he is still club captain (sort of like Keshi and Yobo in their final SE days), and since this is likely his last active season with Rangers there's been talk of sponsoring him on a coaching course.
Gotti,

It is time for him to move on! I see him in lineups introducing players and I look at that midsection and I wonder. He was tops at his prime but it is time and it is good to learn that the club may be sponsoring him for a coaching course.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

League tables after matchday 5
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Results of today’s rescheduled matches
Wikki 1-0 Insurance
Rangers 1-0 Tornadoes
Rivers Utd 1-0 Remo Stars
Yobe Stars 1-0 Gombe Utd

TOMORROW
Go Round vs Kada City
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ukwala wrote:Results of today’s rescheduled matches
Wikki 1-0 Insurance
Rangers 1-0 Tornadoes
Yobe Stars 1-0 Gombe Utd

TOMORROW
Go Round vs Kada City
Rangers :thumbs: :thumbs: jumps 2nd with a match at hand in group A.

Ukwala, what's all these 1-0 (4 times :woot: :woot: ) for the home teams ?
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

BTW, our Silas :thumbs: is turning into a 'goal machine'.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

zee wrote:
ukwala wrote:Results of today’s rescheduled matches
Wikki 1-0 Insurance
Rangers 1-0 Tornadoes
Yobe Stars 1-0 Gombe Utd

TOMORROW
Go Round vs Kada City
Rangers :thumbs: :thumbs: jumps 2nd with a match at hand in group A.

Ukwala, what's all these 1-0 (4 times :woot: :woot: ) for the home teams ?
Bro Zee, hmmm! Let’s just say it is a coincidence. Most matches are low-scoring in any case and home teams have obvious advantages, one of which is fatigue of the visiting team due to tortuous road trips close to match time.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

zee wrote:BTW, our Silas :thumbs: is turning into a 'goal machine'.
Yes oo, the dimunitive one :thumbs: :thumbs:. By season’s end, there will be no corner flags left in the Cathedral!!