The UK Independent article on Alex Iwobi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The UK Independent article on Alex Iwobi

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
deanotito wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
Prince wrote:Racist Bstards

I cannot understand it, oneof your own and they dont want to encourage him
Of course it would be a different story if he was white.

Alex has more talent than Raheem Sterling. But see how Sterling, such a headless chicken, has improved and is becoming more decisive. This will come for Alex with the coach's support.

Ummm....I don't think so. You use the term "talent", but that is irrelevant here. Production is what fans judge. Raheem Sterling of 2 years ago was a wastepipe. I for one don't know how he kept getting opportunities to start. But let's be honest...Pep has changed Sterling into a near world-class player. 2 years ago, Iwobi was definitely better...but now? Sterling has eclipsed him. Sterling is a legit threat to any opposing team. Iwobi is not.

I would agree with you that racism (probably latent) has something to do with his harsh criticism. But let's be honest, Iwobi can be pretty wasteful at times. If you give Alex 7 games, he's that kind of player that gives you 1 excellent game, 3 okay games, and 3 bad games.....He's just too inconsistent. Even for Nigeria, it's the same....Wasn't a large section of us calling that he be dropped after the 1st world cup game against Croatia? He was a complete passenger in a game we needed him to show up...and it's not the first time. Then you remember games like that Argentina friendly, where we beat them 4-2, and you ask where in the actual blazes is THAT Alex Iwobi. Cause I haven't seen him in a while.

The boy has talent, but that talent is not deployed consistently enough at a high level [Sterling was even worse btw]. Knowing fans, they would never warm to such a player. In fact, that is the kind of player easiest to hate. It was partly the reason why many Nigerian fans hated on Musa for so long.
Isn't that the point? Pep stuck with him and he has improved in that time frame. Didn't Wenger bench Iwobi for a while after fans were raising an uproar over his performances?
This una yarn get as e be, I'm wondering when Sterling was worse than Iwobi? Sterling at Liverpool was better than anything we've seen from Iwobi at Arseanal thats why Man City splashed big money to get him at 20 to get him. He might have had some dips at City, but his ceiling was and is always higher than Iwobi because of his natural ability, so of course they would be more patient with him knowing what he can do once they get him on his game. I feel we are getting carried away here and blinded by patriotism. If Iwobi ever leaves Arseanal it will be to go to a lesser club and its not because of his race or because he chose SE over England.

Dat one is not an argument that I made. My point was that when Sterling had a dip in form at the end of Pellegrini's stay and the begining of Pep's reign, his manager stuck with him and it paid off in the long run.

There were articles like this about Sterling when he left Liverpool
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... ---5747773

This is how Pep treated Sterling when he was struggling at Mancity. A manager texting a player reinforcing his belief in him at an international tournament!
https://www.givemesport.com/857979-pep- ... -euro-2016

This is what i was pointing out above that a home grown kid like Iwobi, at the very least, deserves a modicum of. And i didnt read deanotito's comment about Iwobi being better than sterling the way you did. I thought he was refering to inconsistency between both players and argued that back then, when he struggled, Sterling was more inconsistent than Iwobi is.

@Deanotito, i agree with you, the patience that Sterling received is not common.
I got you now. I discussed this with my coworker and he told me it was Iwobis first season and the huge drop off afterwards that really made him kinda start 'hating' on the bobo. That the bobo to him is like a prime example of the failed Wenger policy of trusting promotion over buying talent. He was billed as an example that the policy was working in his first season only for it to be painfully obvious the following seasons that he was never going to be the caliber of player that will get Arseanal back to the top of the mountain. Its like he feels he was bamboozled by his first season and the bobo is just now getting back to close to what he was showing then, but is less dynamic.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
deanotito wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Of course it would be a different story if he was white.

Alex has more talent than Raheem Sterling. But see how Sterling, such a headless chicken, has improved and is becoming more decisive. This will come for Alex with the coach's support.

Ummm....I don't think so. You use the term "talent", but that is irrelevant here. Production is what fans judge. Raheem Sterling of 2 years ago was a wastepipe. I for one don't know how he kept getting opportunities to start. But let's be honest...Pep has changed Sterling into a near world-class player. 2 years ago, Iwobi was definitely better...but now? Sterling has eclipsed him. Sterling is a legit threat to any opposing team. Iwobi is not.

I would agree with you that racism (probably latent) has something to do with his harsh criticism. But let's be honest, Iwobi can be pretty wasteful at times. If you give Alex 7 games, he's that kind of player that gives you 1 excellent game, 3 okay games, and 3 bad games.....He's just too inconsistent. Even for Nigeria, it's the same....Wasn't a large section of us calling that he be dropped after the 1st world cup game against Croatia? He was a complete passenger in a game we needed him to show up...and it's not the first time. Then you remember games like that Argentina friendly, where we beat them 4-2, and you ask where in the actual blazes is THAT Alex Iwobi. Cause I haven't seen him in a while.

The boy has talent, but that talent is not deployed consistently enough at a high level [Sterling was even worse btw]. Knowing fans, they would never warm to such a player. In fact, that is the kind of player easiest to hate. It was partly the reason why many Nigerian fans hated on Musa for so long.
Isn't that the point? Pep stuck with him and he has improved in that time frame. Didn't Wenger bench Iwobi for a while after fans were raising an uproar over his performances?
This una yarn get as e be, I'm wondering when Sterling was worse than Iwobi? Sterling at Liverpool was better than anything we've seen from Iwobi at Arseanal thats why Man City splashed big money to get him at 20 to get him. He might have had some dips at City, but his ceiling was and is always higher than Iwobi because of his natural ability, so of course they would be more patient with him knowing what he can do once they get him on his game. I feel we are getting carried away here and blinded by patriotism. If Iwobi ever leaves Arseanal it will be to go to a lesser club and its not because of his race or because he chose SE over England.
Well said :thumb:
I was reading those posts and scratching my head...
a guy who has scored double figures in goals every year since he was 19 is a rubbish player?
If Sterling was Nigerian all of you will be saying he is better than Messi!!
na wa for you people o...
YNWA
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Reporter is a clickbait wanker. I go to the Emirates for every game, what he reports is nowhere near my experience. I have commented on this regularly in the Arsenal thread, Iwobi has his detractors but as a youth product, he gets far more support and encouragement at the Emirates.

Also, the reporter should be able to differentiate when fans are just frustrated and when they are frustrated with a player. He refers to times when fans were not happy with us losing, and every player gets stick. But he has an agenda, so he makes out like only Iwobi got stick. I hate that because I was there.

Finally, why does he not report on when Iwobi got rapturous applause from the crowd after a good game or coming as a sub.

I am not saying Iwobi has not had criticisms, Niles has had stick too, it is part of playing for The Arsenal. But it is not as bad as that reporter makes out. But each to their own, I guess.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.