Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:I understand that you can control a game without possession, but i don't like that United still seems to play most big games with less posession.
I prefer to see United go head to head or dominate the likes of PSG etc.
In that regard i think there's room for improvement especially the midfield, plus control begins with the defenders and keepers playing out well.

Anyway now we United just throw ourselves at all remaining games, this a situation of salvaging the season, anywhere we finish will do :thumbs:
Give Ole or whoever the next coach is, a chance. Judge from next season. United cannot play the way you want with the players you have. its not possible. You do not have more than 3 players in your entire squad who are comfortable with the ball under heavy pressing.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

United needs players for the type of pressing game Ole wants to play, just look how all the players were dropping left right and centre after a few games, the end of the season canot come soon enough, if Ole gets the job and most likely will, he needs to be backed with massive funds, some players have to leave, its that simple, we cannot take this team next seaosn and expect to win anything except finish in the top 5, we have to start looking in terms of challenging for champions league and premiership, all the small cup games, bring in academy players, that should no longer be a priority, carabao cup or whatever its called
4-5 players needed and 4-5 need to leave
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:I understand that you can control a game without possession, but i don't like that United still seems to play most big games with less posession.
In that regard i think there's room for improvement especially the midfield, plus control begins with the defenders and keepers playing out well.

Anyway now we United just throw ourselves at all remaining games, this a situation of salvaging the season, anywhere we finish will do :thumbs:
Give Ole or whoever the next coach is, a chance. Judge from next season. United cannot play the way you want with the players you have. its not possible. You do not have more than 3 players in your entire squad who are comfortable with the ball under heavy pressing.
But remember when LVG was in charge, there was some small progress in that regard, the likes of Smalling and Jones were starting to become confident in building play from the back and many a time United was dominating posession in almost all away games.
But the British media mocked it.
Now we may wonder how Klopp goes around dominating teams with a midfield of Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, but these things take time the right approach, it all started under Rodgers, Liverpool became accustomed to building from the back from the Rodgers days, and that has been the approach ever since, that's why even a Milner can slot in.

Maybe it's the philosophy :biggrin:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

But remember when LVG was in charge, there was some small progress in that regard, the likes of Smalling and Jones were starting to become confident in building play from the back and many a time United was dominating posession in almost all away games.
Now we may wonder how Klopp goes around dominating teams with a midfield of Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, but these things take time the right approach, it all started under Rodgers, Liverpool became accustomed to building from the back from the Rodgers days, and that has been the approach ever since, that's why even a Milner can slot in.

Bro, Marcelo Bielsa has shut down that myth! He has a bunch of division two farmers playing like Barcelona! abeg! abeg! abeg! My eyes have opened. That myth that "it takes time," na big fat lie! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

As for Liverpool, they dominate teams because of several things:

1. theirs strikers press high, whih forces the opponents into mistakes.
2. With attackers like Mane and Salah, opponents are more likely to sit deep, for fear of counter attacks
3. their carpenters in midfields are hard workers and run and run and run, which means they are able to win the ball back
4. They are confident in their CB - van Dyke.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

People complained about Daley Blind too.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

kalani JR wrote:
benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

People complained about Daley Blind too.
Bingo !

What LVG used to do is that he always put Daley Blind next to either Smalling or Jones in central defence all the time as long as they were fit.
The only other one he could entrust with those two British boys was Marcus Rojo.
And that Daley Blind could work wonders as a passing outlet even when he played as a left wing back/fullback or whatever.

Even Mourinho used him well until he sold him.
Defenders are not only about hoofing it, and United's issues are that the like of Bailly is either always injured and soon as he is not injured, he takes time to get back to good form so that he can be the defender to build play from the back.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
Bro, Marcelo Bielsa has shut down that myth! He has a bunch of division two farmers playing like Barcelona! abeg! abeg! abeg! My eyes have opened. That myth that "it takes time," na big fat lie! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

2. With attackers like Mane and Salah, opponents are more likely to sit deep, for fear of counter attacks
3. their carpenters in midfields are hard workers and run and run and run, which means they are able to win the ball back
Your point No.4 is the one that caught my attention.
Van Dijk only arrived in January last season, but already even then Liverpool under Klopp and Rodgers has been going around dominating posession in places where they shouldn't be.
It simply took time.
It began under Rodgers, i remember well he didn't get as much noise as LVG, he was British or whatever they call the homelands. :biggrin:

Even the keeper is important, let's be honest here, De Gea is a good shot stopper but when it comes to playing it on the turf build up play, he is not up there.
Someone can help me on that part with regards to De Gea.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Your point No.4 is the one that caught my attention.
Van Dijk only arrived in January last season, but already even then Liverpool under Klopp and Rodgers has been going around dominating posession in places where they shouldn't be.
It simply took time.
It began under Rodgers, i remember well he didn't get as much noise as LVG, he was British or whatever they call the homelands. :biggrin:

Even the keeper is important, let's be honest here, De Gea is a good shot stopper but when it comes to playing it on the turf build up play, he is not up there.
Someone can help me on that part with regards to De Gea.
You have to remember, Mourinho used to get De Gea to shoot the ball high up to either Felliani or Lukaku and hope they win the first ball and flick it for the likes of Rashford or martial to finish, this he did for 2 years! now to get him to play like an Allison or man city keeper is nearly impossible, I dont trust Young with his pass range, Shaw neither, perhaps Lindelof is the only player confident to take the ball out, Smalling, nope!, thats not his key strenghts

Just remember, Mourinho philosophy when facing stronger opposition or even weak opposition was to bypass the midfield, if you think i am lying, go watch youtube and check De Gea when he shoots out, yes it worked sometimes but once we got sussed out, route 1 football either failed and we ended up drawing or losing

It will take OGS a season to get rid of that mentality, what he has achieved in the last 3 months is amazing, we were down and out! chasing shadows! club in dis-array! The board must take huge responsibility for allowing that Mourinho charade to continue, just look at the difference when we lost to Seville and beat PSG, we did not even try to win both games until they scored

why do i keep on mentioning Mourinho? just for the fact that he could have certainly done a lot more with what he had at his disposal, he got extremely lazy and relied on the cheque book, people say Guardiola is similar but at least City play attractive football so you can see evidence on the pitch

when you spend close to 400 million, one will expect you to be able to pass for longer than 10 seconds!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Wenger on BeIN said it during the United v PSG 1st leg

we cannot play from the back, we do not have the quality.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

tfco wrote:Wenger on BeIN said it during the United v PSG 1st leg

Just because you won doesn't mean you do. Be glad they were missing key personnel. Besides, if that pen had been given against Spurs, I'd be well pi$$ed and I'm sure you'd feel the same way had it been against you.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

pajimoh wrote:

Just because you won doesn't mean you do. Be glad they were missing key personnel. Besides, if that pen had been given against Spurs, I'd be well pi$$ed and I'm sure you'd feel the same way had it been against you.
:roll:

reading.is.fundamental

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

tfco wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

reading.is.fundamental
Oh my bad, Naymer played the first leg? You lost anyway.
Your comment did not clear whether Wenger was warning against playing from the back in the return leg.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

pajimoh wrote:
tfco wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

reading.is.fundamental
Oh my bad, Naymer played the first leg? You lost anyway.
Your comment did not clear whether Wenger was warning against playing from the back in the return leg.
apology accepted

My comment was not about winning or losing, the return leg, the 3rd leg, the penalty, missing personnel, being lily livered, losing to Saints or St Totteringham

It was about playing_from_the_back

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

we're going to be reading a lot of this sh'it this summer

I can guarantee you, most of the stories will be fed by that Raiola rat

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

tfco wrote:we're going to be reading a lot of this sh'it this summer

Pogba? Real madrid? Who can replace Pogba if we get 170 million for example?

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marko wrote:
tfco wrote:we're going to be reading a lot of this sh'it this summer

Pogba? Real madrid? Who can replace Pogba if we get 170 million for example?
no one.
so it should NOT happen
(look, pogba knows he's the face of United for commercial reasons etc. He may demand 600/week)

i will not put anything past raiola..he tried to move pogba, and brought up a move to City

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Madrid do not need GKs, defenders, or midfielders. Why would they when they have the world's best reserve GK sitting on the bench (Navas), a back 4 of Carvahal-Varane-Ramos-Marcelo, and Kroos-Casemiro-Modric in midfield (Isco not even getting in the squad). They need to somehow replace the goals CR7 took away with him. Benzema is 30, Bale is usually injured, and Vinicius is a kid. Prolific goalscorer needed. Did I hear someone say Kane?...
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

wiseone wrote:Madrid do not need GKs, defenders, or midfielders. Why would they when they have the world's best reserve GK sitting on the bench (Navas), a back 4 of Carvahal-Varane-Ramos-Marcelo, and Kroos-Casemiro-Modric in midfield (Isco not even getting in the squad). They need to somehow replace the goals CR7 took away with him. Benzema is 30, Bale is usually injured, and Vinicius is a kid. Prolific goalscorer needed. Did I hear someone say Kane?...
mbappe...neymar

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

hello Marko, here is what the kids are up to

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... eague.html
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

danfo driver wrote:hello Marko, here is what the kids are up to

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... eague.html
good losing is part of development, maybe after tasting first team football, Yoth football no longer interests them

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Anybody but Man City in the next round of the CL please (even if it means being put to the slaughter by Barca or Liverpool). If Man Utd get past Wolves in the FA Cup this weekend, please no City in the FA Cup either. Otherwise the following would happen:

1) 3 Manchester derbies in only 14 days.

2) 5 Manchester derbies in one season.

Too much wahala.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

In cup competitions this season Man Utd have been drawn against Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, Arsenal (away), Chelsea (away), and Wolves (away). If they somehow get past Barca they will face Liverpool in the semi-finals of the CL, and if they get past Wolves, will probably face City in the semis of the FA Cup. Who next? The Harlem Globetrotters?!

Once again, the FA, UEFA, and FIFA collude in their criminal conspiracy to to ensure Man Utd face weak opposition in cup competitions...

wiseone wrote:Anybody but Man City in the next round of the CL please (even if it means being put to the slaughter by Barca or Liverpool). If Man Utd get past Wolves in the FA Cup this weekend, please no City in the FA Cup either. Otherwise the following would happen:

Too much wahala.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

wiseone wrote:In cup competitions this season Man Utd have been drawn against Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, Arsenal (away), Chelsea (away), and Wolves (away). If they somehow get past Barca they will face Liverpool in the semi-finals of the CL, and if they get past Wolves, will probably face City in the semis of the FA Cup. Who next? The Harlem Globetrotters?!

Once again, the FA, UEFA, and FIFA collude in their criminal conspiracy to to ensure Man Utd face weak opposition in cup competitions...

wiseone wrote:Anybody but Man City in the next round of the CL please (even if it means being put to the slaughter by Barca or Liverpool). If Man Utd get past Wolves in the FA Cup this weekend, please no City in the FA Cup either. Otherwise the following would happen:

Too much wahala.
Whatttttt? Weak opposition

Marko