Why did MANU let Memphis go, and Arsenal let Gnabry go?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why did MANU let Memphis go, and Arsenal let Gnabry go?

Post by ohsee »

Did anybody watch the Euro qualifying game between Netherlands and Germany? If you did not, you missed a cracker of a game. Final score was 3:2 for Germany with Germany scoring in the dying minutes at Amsterdam. Goals from Sane, Gnabry, one kine Jaman so, and somebody Dutch and Memphis. :D :taunt:

Memphis dePay is a real terror: he was frightening today, panicking the Germans anytime he got the ball with his tricky and purposeful dribbling. Can't understand why the boy is still playing in the yoroyoro French League. Maybe he is one of those people who only play well with his national team. But this begs the question of why?

They were saying that van Dijk cannot be beaten one-on-one. Until today. Serge Gnabry undressed him today oh! :lol: What a brilliant goal from Gnabry, making van Dijk look really bad. Anyway, van Dijk must be tired, playing all those games for Liverpool.

Good on Jamni, finally playing their black boys. :thumb: :thumb:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why did MANU let Memphis go, and Arsenal let Gnabry go?

Post by danfo driver »

I saw the game and Holland is in trouble. They need to take a very bold step and fire Koeman. I know he has brought them out of the dungeon, but the Holland I saw today reminded me of his Valencia and Everton teams--poorly coached. If Holland allows sentiments to cloud their judgment, they are going to end up like Belgium--- waste their "golden generation."

They need to hold a national thank you party for Koeman, give him a national honor and then let him go. He can't take them to the promised land.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

As for Gnabry, he left Arsenal. They wanted him to stay, but he is a smart boy. He plays for Bayern Munich, a much bigger club than Arsenal can ever dream of being.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

danfo driver wrote:As for Gnabry, he left Arsenal. They wanted him to stay, but he is a smart boy. He plays for Bayern Munich, a much bigger club than Arsenal can ever dream of being.

Take time oh! Arsenal is the biggest club in the world.
:D :taunt:

But you are right about a "Golden Generation" of Dutch players, the boys they had today can play. Dunno what happened to them in the first half. And how they allowed Germany to kill them in the dying minutes.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Germany was just the better team. Period. But yeah ... Holland is back. They are going to make noise.
Looked like 2 African teams out there ... lol ... Lots of African and Surinam Blood on the pitch today.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Memphis was waste pipe at Manu,wearing that #7 was too big for him,same like Alexis is looking like waste pipe.
At Lyon Memphis is good,he has mature i saw his few games this CL.
Gnabry used Arsenal to go for Bayern,every German player want to play for Bayern.The only sad part Arsenal let him go for free,Arsenal was wrongly run by a dictator.Thank God he is gone,time to forced some nyash lickers of the dictator also with a crooked owner
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

ohsee wrote:
danfo driver wrote:As for Gnabry, he left Arsenal. They wanted him to stay, but he is a smart boy. He plays for Bayern Munich, a much bigger club than Arsenal can ever dream of being.

Take time oh! Arsenal is the biggest club in the world.
:D :taunt:

But you are right about a "Golden Generation" of Dutch players, the boys they had today can play. Dunno what happened to them in the first half. And how they allowed Germany to kill them in the dying minutes.
Yes it potentially is! 8-)
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

If not mistaken, Chief Oga Mourinho dispatched Depay. Memphis needed focus, wise words and guidance. A talented young man struggling with the distractions of the lights and lifestyle, he wasn’t worth the bother.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Even at Lyon Memphis is currently struggling, but for NT he's a different prospect all together!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Danny Blind kept the German player on-site allowing the cross they converted. Blind was getting slow at ManU, and he continued at national level that cost them all 3 points.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Depay was utter bobbins at Man Utd. His "performances" were so abominable that after a brainless "back header" to his GK that played in a Stoke striker clean on goal to score, LVG (his compatriot and the man who bought him) was so enraged that he relegated him to the reserves as a punishment. He then (against the advice of club captain Wayne Rooney) decided to be a Big Time Charlie and show up for the reserves game in a flash Bentley car. Those incidents convinced the senior players and club hierarchy that he either needed a personality transplant or should be sold.

Mourinho played him once, then sold him (albeit with a buy-back clause).

ohsee wrote:Did anybody watch the Euro qualifying game between Netherlands and Germany? If you did not, you missed a cracker of a game. Final score was 3:2 for Germany with Germany scoring in the dying minutes at Amsterdam. Goals from Sane, Gnabry, one kine Jaman so, and somebody Dutch and Memphis. :D :taunt:

Memphis dePay is a real terror: he was frightening today, panicking the Germans anytime he got the ball with his tricky and purposeful dribbling. Can't understand why the boy is still playing in the yoroyoro French League. Maybe he is one of those people who only play well with his national team. But this begs the question of why?

They were saying that van Dijk cannot be beaten one-on-one. Until today. Serge Gnabry undressed him today oh! :lol: What a brilliant goal from Gnabry, making van Dijk look really bad. Anyway, van Dijk must be tired, playing all those games for Liverpool.

Good on Jamni, finally playing their black boys. :thumb: :thumb:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Memphis and Van Dijk are average players and epitomise the mediocrity of the modern game, where unbelievable riches come your way even if you are nothing special. Memphis used to show up at reserve team games at Manure in his Rolls Royce Phantom - the sort of wheels you would have had to be a Pele/Cruyff to have back in the day. Van Dijk is so overrated it's untrue. I remember arguing with my friend that Varane is a better defender. I said Van Dijk will be exposed when he comes across a speedy forward with tight control.
http://www.naijiant.com/
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

As I said before: You know the Apocalypse is nearly upon us when football clubs are willing to pay 75 million for CDs. How much would a Nesta, Cannavaro, Baresi, Maldini, Stam, Vidic, or Puyol go for nowadays?

There has been a decline in the quality of defenders worldwide. Hence there is a massive price premium for the few high quality defenders still around (e.g. people saying Koulibaly will cost 100 million).
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mcal wrote:...Danny Blind kept the German player on-site allowing the cross they converted. Blind was getting slow at ManU, and he continued at national level that cost them all 3 points.
Blind is not a Leftback. At CB, he was very good against Real Madrid, but Koeman continues with his archaic tactics.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:Memphis and Van Dijk are average players and epitomise the mediocrity of the modern game, where unbelievable riches come your way even if you are nothing special. Memphis used to show up at reserve team games at Manure in his Rolls Royce Phantom - the sort of wheels you would have had to be a Pele/Cruyff to have back in the day. Van Dijk is so overrated it's untrue. I remember arguing with my friend that Varane is a better defender. I said Van Dijk will be exposed when he comes across a speedy forward with tight control.
Thats why when I hear/see the most often had argument of Van Dijk being "the best CB in the world," I just carry my portmanteau and walk away. It tells you that these people do not watch anything other than the EPL.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:Memphis and Van Dijk are average players and epitomise the mediocrity of the modern game, where unbelievable riches come your way even if you are nothing special. Memphis used to show up at reserve team games at Manure in his Rolls Royce Phantom - the sort of wheels you would have had to be a Pele/Cruyff to have back in the day. Van Dijk is so overrated it's untrue. I remember arguing with my friend that Varane is a better defender. I said Van Dijk will be exposed when he comes across a speedy forward with tight control.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Huh? You gotta be jokin' mate. Van Dijk may be tired after playing all those games for Liverpool, but he certainly is no average player. Every player, including the greatest, is allowed the sort of one bad moment that van Dijk had yesterday. Even Maldini was once embarrassed by Yekini, and World Footballer of the Year Cannavaro was made to look a fool TWICE by "Garri Master" Ike Uche. :idea:

You can argue that van Dijk is not as good as they say he is--which is your opinion by the way--but not that he is average. Come on. Also Memphis is not average for his national team. Look at his record--8 goals in 11 games in the last two years, and a holy terror in nearly every game he plays. Abeg o.

By the way, I would pick van Dijk on his current form over Varane ANY DAY. Van Dijk plays with scrubs; Varane plays with Rolls Royces, both for Real and for France.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Joachim Low will forever regret not taking Sane to the WC. That kid is class! :clap: :clap:

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ohsee wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Huh? You gotta be jokin' mate. Van Dijk may be tired after playing all those games for Liverpool, but he certainly is no average player. Every player, including the greatest, is allowed the sort of one bad moment that van Dijk had yesterday. Even Maldini was once embarrassed by Yekini, and World Footballer of the Year Cannavaro was made to look a fool TWICE by "Garri Master" Ike Uche. :idea:

You can argue that van Dijk is not as good as they say he is--which is your opinion by the way--but not that he is average. Come on. Also Memphis is not average for his national team. Look at his record--8 goals in 11 games in the last two years, and a holy terror in nearly every game he plays. Abeg o.

By the way, I would pick van Dijk on his current form over Varane ANY DAY. Van Dijk plays with scrubs; Varane plays with Rolls Royces, both for Real and for France.
Van DIjk is not average, but he is not close to being the best defender in the world. Even someone like Toby Aldeweireld performed better, prior to his injury.

Who are the scrubs at Liverpool and Holland? Afterall, we all saw what the scrubs at Ajax did to the Royce Royce of Real Madrid.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Joachim Low will forever regret not taking Sane to the WC. That kid is class! :clap: :clap:
:lol: Thats a poor persons mentality. Successful people do not have regrets. You make a calculated and well thought-out decision. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it fails.

Only people with a weak mentality have regrets, because they do not make calculated decisions. They jump into every decision without thinking and hope for the best. And when they fail, they start crying "had I known!" :rotf: :rotf:

Low is a world cup winner and very successful man. I am certain he thought about it and made a well analyzed decision last summer.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

van Dijk is a very good player. Most central defenders will be exposed at one point when they face speedy forwards with tight control. I mean van Dijk faced that very same speedy Gnabry in the CL or Sané in the CL last season and was not exposed.
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

ohsee wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: Nna, like I say to many of my friends, watch English footie with the volume off and you will be asking what the fuss is about with many of the over-hyped players. Van Dijk is an average player, who is strong in the air and can pass the ball better than your average English centre-back. I didn't reach this conclusion based on last night. In fact, I was saying it long b/4 last night.

Maldini was great, so was Cannavaro. But the best Italian defenders I saw were Nesta and Baresi. Varane is better than Van Dijk eight days a week. I see you said "current form". I form opinions about players over a longer period of time. I've been watching Varane from when he was 18. Van Dijk is loved in England b/c they love their big, straight-back centre-backs who "clear their lines", block spaces and are useful at corners. Terry did all that. Nothing special. They usually get exposed by speedy tricksters. Varane usually matches them for speed and has the guile to nick the ball off them.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

kofi86 wrote: van Dijk is a very good player. Most central defenders will be exposed at one point when they face speedy forwards with tight control. I mean van Dijk faced that very same speedy Gnabry in the CL or Sané in the CL last season and was not exposed.
Sane is mainly speedy. I don't trust his control and his decision-making.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:
ohsee wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: Nna, like I say to many of my friends, watch English footie with the volume off and you will be asking what the fuss is about with many of the over-hyped players. Van Dijk is an average player, who is strong in the air and can pass the ball better than your average English centre-back. I didn't reach this conclusion based on last night. In fact, I was saying it long b/4 last night.

Maldini was great, so was Cannavaro. But the best Italian defenders I saw were Nesta and Baresi. Varane is better than Van Dijk eight days a week. I see you said "current form". I form opinions about players over a longer period of time. I've been watching Varane from when he was 18. Van Dijk is loved in England b/c they love their big, straight-back centre-backs who "clear their lines", block spaces and are useful at corners. Terry did all that. Nothing special. They usually get exposed by speedy tricksters. Varane usually matches them for speed and has the guile to nick the ball off them.
Chief, most of the footie I watch is on BeIN Sports in Arabic, so it has nothing to do with what they say. I thought van Dijk was outstanding even when he was at Southhampton. :idea:

The people who pay huge sums for these people are not just internet talkers with no investment in whether they lose money. They have an entire staff analyzing and watching these players and watching hundreds of videos before they make a decision to invest millions.

Your opinion is just your opinion, one of millions from people who have no investment in their opinions. You can say whatever you like without consequence or cost. You can even say, if you like, that John Stones is a better defender than van Dijk. Next week, we'll all forget that you said it, and it costs you nothing.

Van Dijk and Allison have made a HUGE difference in Liverpool's defence this season, and anyone who followed Liverpool last season and this season knows this. Allison makes mistakes. I have not seen van Dijk make a mistake for Liverpool this season, so you can guess where the real change has happened. You don't see it? That's probably why you are not making some of those millions analyzing players for the big clubs, and you are sitting at home like me voicing any opinion that has no consequence, opinions that don't cost you anything.

By the way, Varane was unable to "nick the ball off" the nimble Ajax forwards. :lol: And you spoil your case for being a insightful footie observer by comparing van Dijk to Terry.