Is this Emmanuel Amuneke's Time?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cally
Egg
Egg
Is this Emmanuel Amuneke's Time?

Post by Cally »

This dude has quietly gone about the business of coaching, with a high level of success. Is it time to consider him for the Nigerian Head Coach job?

Emmanuel Amuneke aims to exceed achievements of 'Father' Stephen Keshi

Tanzania coach Emmanuel Amuneke, a Nigerian, says African coaches deserve more opportunities. "We can do much more if there is support from everyone instead of running to Europeans at every opportunity." Michael Regan - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images
Apr 9, 2019
Colin Udoh
Special to ESPN
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
"Emmanuel Amuneke, he believes in God. When you see him play, so will you."

This was the copy of a 1995 ad featuring the then Nigerian winger, standing with both arms spread wide, like an eagle in flight, and one foot on a ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was a fitting tribute to the genius of the left-footed wing necromancer who had not only emerged from nowhere to score two goals as Nigeria won the Africa Cup of Nations in 1994, but also had been instrumental to their enchanting World Cup play in the U.S. a few months later.

A quarter of a century later, that belief has not wavered one bit, and as Amuneke conjured something of a minor miracle for the small East African nation of Tanzania by qualifying them for their first Cup of Nations appearance in nearly four decades, he points up to divine grace

"Before I came into Tanzania, there were other coaches," the Nigerian told ESPN.

"It is not that I am better than them; I am just blessed. It is just Grace from God, and I am happy that I have been given the privilege to take a team to the Nations Cup."

Tanzanians will also count themselves somewhat blessed to have had the pieces fall in place for them at a very opportune time. Amuneke was a few months out of leaving Sudanese club SC Khartoum when he was approached by the Tanzanian Football Federation.

"I didn't think about it too long. They showed interest that they wanted me to coach their team. Once I spoke to them and I found out that their ideas for developing football was the same with mine, I gave it the green light."

Despite those convergent ideas, not many people would have expected the Taifa Stars would be at the Afcon a few short months later, not even when they secured a goalless draw against Uganda in Kampala, but Amunike said he believed anything was possible with hard work

"When I came, nobody expected us to do much because, with all due respect, many of us Africans don't believe in each other. We feel that only Europeans can do the job.

"But I said one thing at my first press conference: That we are not here to make promises to anybody, but I believe that if we work very hard we can qualify; and that is exactly what we did as a team. From the administrators to the players, to the fans and the fans.

"From day one, I believed in the project that the federation had. One was to develop, the other was to improve as a team, especially after drawing at home to Lesotho, which wasn't very good. We looked at ourselves, we knew we were not very good, but that if we kept an open mind and worked hard we could achieve big things."

Amuneke's extraordinary achievement with Tanzania lines him up behind the late great Stephen Keshi as only the second Nigerian to lead a team to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations.

Emmanuel Amuneke was head coach when Nigeria won the 2015 FIFA Under-17 World Cup final in Chile, defeating Mali at Estadio Sausalito in Vina del Mar. Alex Grimm - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images
Keshi, whose move to Europe made him a trendsetter for the modern generation of African footballers, went on to qualify for the World Cup twice, first with Togo and then with his motherland Nigeria.

Keshi also made history by becoming the first indigenous coach to lead Nigeria to the knockout phase of the World Cup.

Amuneke has already earned his international coaching stripes with two age-group World Cup titles -- one as an assistant coach, the other as head coach. And with his quiet, non-confrontational yet steely determination to win, he could well be in line to follow in Keshi's footsteps. But the former Zamalek and Barcelona winger wants more

"We all know the kind of person Keshi was. He gave everything during his time to the game that he loved so much and I am privileged to have towed his steps. I cannot compare myself to Keshi because who he is and what he has done is incomparable.

"But we pray that the son should grow more than his father. If it is the will of God, our ambition is to go beyond Keshi."

That may sound audacious, it might even come across as slightly presumptuous if taken out of context, but Amuneke's use of the word "we" appears to have been chosen, as his next words show

EDITOR'S PICKS

ESPN FC 100: The top players and managers in men's soccer

Captain Marvel: Soccer's greatest captains from Messi to Marta
- Viewers' guide: Watch ESPN+ in U.S.
- Follow Transfer Talk LIVE
- Fantasy: Set lineups, check scores!
"African coaches need to be given more opportunities. We can do much more if there is support from everyone instead of running to Europeans at every opportunity."

Having made use of his own opportunity, there is the real chance that Amuneke and his wards could come face to face with Nigeria when the chips are down. It is not a thought that gives him any sleepless nights

"I am a professional, and it does not matter even if I am playing against my mother or my late father; I want to win. And we cannot be afraid of anybody, otherwise we should not be among the 24 teams at the tournament.

"But we will continue to work hard, to improve, to learn form our mistakes and try to do better."

Egypt coach Javier Aguirre told ESPN that he was a big admirer of Amuneke: "I loved to watch Amuneke as a player, and now as a coach, what he has done with Tanzania is fantastic. It is not easy to qualify for Afcon, and to do it with a country like Tanzania after 39 years is amazing."

Following his Tanzania accomplishment, Amuneke will now be an obvious frontrunner for the Nigeria job in the near future - an opportunity that could come as early as post-Afcon.

Is that something he would consider?

"I think it would be inappropriate, even disrespectful, for me to talk about coaching Nigeria when they have a coach already. Especially one who has just qualified them for the Nations Cup after two failures.

"I think the thing for Nigeria now is for everyone to support the coach they have right now to achieve the objective.

"Nigeria is my country. As a player I gave Nigeria 100 percent, and as a coach I gave Nigeria 100 percent. I am happy where I am, and with the decision to come to Tanzania. If the opportunity comes in the future, we will see."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/tanzani ... phen-keshi
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
olu
Egg
Egg
Re: Is this Emmanuel Amuneke's Time?

Post by olu »

Rohr is doing fine for now. Maybe in the future. Amuneke has work cut out for him at the AFCON with the limited talent at his disposal.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

the NFF should grab this guy now.. if we are wise we will hire him now to start getting us ready for Qatar 9 let him use this AFCOn with the SE to gather experience. a word is enough for the wise..We aren't going anywhere with ROHR
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

olu wrote:Rohr is doing fine for now. Maybe in the future. Amuneke has work cut out for him at the AFCON with the limited talent at his disposal.
:lol: :lol: :lol: The Taifa Stars might actually have better talent than the current Nigerian team.
Last edited by Kabalega on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Bigpokey24 wrote:the NFF should grab this guy now.. if we are wise we will hire him now to start getting us ready for Qatar 9 let him use this AFCOn with the SE to gather experience. a word is enough for the wise..We aren't going anywhere with ROHR

I am sure super eagles will be ten times better with Amuneke.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt