AFCON19: Updates [Uganda Loses Key Midfielder]

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON 2019: Updates.....News

Post by txj »

Keita to grace AFCON as Liverpool’s injury diagnosis branded ‘hasty and pretentious’
Goal.com

www.Goal.com

Liverpool have been told their diagnosis of Naby Keita is “hasty and pretentious”, with Guinea expecting a midfielder ruled out for two months by his club to make the Africa Cup of Nations.

When quizzed on the 24-year-old’s fitness, Jurgen Klopp suggested that his club and international campaign had come to a close.

A knock picked up against Barcelona in the first leg of a Champions League semi-final was threatening to keep Keita sidelined until the middle of the summer.

Klopp claimed that an adductor problem was “very serious”, with it highly unlikely that Keita could participate in AFCON.

The Guinea Football Federation are, however, confident that Keita will be involved at the event in Egypt and have asked the Reds boss to “let the doctors do their job”.

Federation president Antonio Souare has told Football Factory Radio: “First we wish a very good and fast healing to Naby, as far as I know the adductors cannot prevent him from playing the African Cup of Nations 2019 that will be played from 22 June for Guinea.

“The adductors [injury] is two to three weeks of unavailability. The Liverpool coach has to pull himself together, let the doctors do their job.

“Naby Keita belongs to a state before belonging to Liverpool. I remind the Liverpool coach a little bit of the rules if he does not know it.

“So it's hasty and pretentious to make statements like this. What we do know is that Naby Keita will play at the African Cup of Nations 2019.”

Naby Keita Liverpool

Klopp’s assessment of Keita had been: “It was really unlucky. It's bad news.

“He has a high grade adductor injury. The tendon is ruptured. It will keep him out for at least two months. It's bad news for us and for Guinea as well because the Africa Cup of Nations is coming up.

“He was in a really, really good moment but it's happened. That's how football and life sometimes are. Not too nice. It's very serious.

“On the one side he won't be involved be involved in an interesting part of the season and on the other hand side Guinea aren't a regular starter in the Africa Cup of Nations and that was for sure a big target for him.

“Of course he's not in a good moment but that's when you have to help the players. We will try everything we can.”

Guinea are due to take in a friendly date with Egypt on June 16.

They will then kick off their AFCON campaign against Madagascar on June 22.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

How far with Sallah?
Na that wan consign me.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Are these figures correct given the cost of participation and the payout from organizers?
Senegal FA announce player bonuses ahead of AFCON 2019
https://www.aclsports.com/senegal-fa-an ... fcon-2019/
AvatarEvwiro TomaMay 4, 2019Football, TotalAFCON 2019 No Comments

In an attempt to avoid known issues of bonuses during major competitions, Senegal FA has proceeded to publish all monies in stock for the Teranga Lions players ahead of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations holding between June 21 and July 19 in Egypt.

Each player will be entitled to $111,700 as AFCON qualification bonus which is different from performance bonuses during the competition.
If Senegal reach the semi-finals in Egypt each player will take home $84,000. That amount will be increased to $223,460 if Sadio Mané and Co. win the competition.

The Lions are yet to clinch the continental title after 14 attempts but have made it to the final once, in Mali in 2002. The Lions will open their campaign against Tanzania in Group C in Cairo on June 30 before facing Algeria and Kenya.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Damunk wrote:How far with Sallah?
Na that wan consign me.
Kpom Kwem!
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Robbynice wrote:
Damunk wrote:How far with Sallah?
Na that wan consign me.
Kpom Kwem!
Salah is reportedly okay last time I checked news on it. He was carried off the field per doctor's precautionary orders but was in the dressing room watching the end of the game when the team came back in. Check Kingfut.com for the updated info on him.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dennis Oliech (KENYA) to miss AFCON after he breaks his arm in a local game.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Injuries are now piling up. We have to rethink this summer Afcon thing.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote:Injuries are now piling up. We have to rethink this summer Afcon thing.
Huh? As well as summer world cup abi? :huh:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ASAMOAH GYAN RETIRES IN PROTEST

Post by Enugu II »

Ghana’s Asamoah Gyan announces international retirement
Shina Oludare 2 hrs ago
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer ... ar-AABDCWr

Asamoah Gyan has announced his retirement from international football after 16-year career with the Ghana national team.

The Kayserispor forward, who made his debut in November 2003 against Somalia, has earned 106 caps for his country, scoring 51 goals.

Gyan is the Black Stars’ most-capped player and top scorer of all time, but has decided to hang up his international boots upon consultation with his family and team.

“My mother once told me, "you cannot tout a decision you did not take as betrayal, because you have to expect it" I still do not understand that statement anyway,” Gyan wrote in a statement.

“I cannot pretend to be happy. I would rather hurt myself emotionally and psychologically, over the years I served with an open heart and have given my all to the best of my ability in my quest to serving our great nation, Ghana. I have represented the proud colours of our country in 10 major tournaments from the Olympics, World Cups and in African Nations Cups with different coaches.

“In all, I would say the last years have been the proudest moments in my career as a captain under the managerial leadership of coach Akwasi Appiah. I stood solidly behind my coach during the difficult times in Brazil and in some cases supported the endeavours of the team financially when the need arose to make sure his tenure and my captaincy would not suffer challenges and to ride with the assertion, " A Ghanaian coach can do it.”

He added: “As an active footballer yet to retire, I have been in the team since 2003 and have played with some members of the technical team who were my seniors. Through such periods, there were no times substantive captains were part of a team in a tournament and had to surrender their captaincy to other players and served in different capacities.

“Mr. Richard Kingston and Stephen Appiah would be in the best position to understand this. My team, my family and fans have had reasons to whisper the trend of reportage and articles either to substantiate my exclusion or inclusion and again rumoured roles I am to play at the AFCON in Egypt. In all, my answers have been, "respect the decision of the coach because the records under the year per game minutes and goals for all attackers are evidence to guide his decision".

“Upon consultation with my family and team, and as an active footballer and captain of the national team, if the decision of the coach is to give captaincy of the tournament to another player while I am named in the team of the tournament,” he continued.

“I wish to recuse myself from the tournament. I also wish to retire from the national team permanently; not pretending my presence would not fuel the purported undermining the country has seen under my captaincy.

“I would countinue to serve the country Ghana in other endeavours as a business man through various investments. I want to thank the father of the nation, His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, other former presidents H.E John Kufour, H.E J.J Rawlings, the late H.E Prof Atta Mills, H.E John Mahama, my teammates from2003 to date many of whom have become friends for life and all coaches I have worked with.

“I would like to also thank journalists and all my fans who have supported and travelled the world with the team. I wish the technical team and the players the best of luck.”
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
GYAN v AYEW......

Post by Enugu II »

Drama! Ghana reacts to Asamoah Gyan's unexpected international retirement

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/drama-ghana ... 06129.html
Goal.com Goal.com20 May 2019 4:27 pm

Opinions have been diverse after Ghana captain Asamoah Gyan shockingly announced resignation from international duty only a month to the Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

In a statement released on Monday, the 33-year-old Kayserispor striker - Ghana's most capped and all-time top scorer of 51 goals in 106 matches - cited displeasure about the technical team's decision to strip him of the captaincy and rather be handed the less prestigious 'General Captain' role usually held by a very senior member of the team.

Rumours before the announcement were that deputy skipper Andre Ayew - who has long been involved in a dispute with Gyan over the armband - was going to be named new captain for the June 21-July 19 tournament.

While the situation has clearly divided opinions, many, upon Gyan's announcement, are of the view that a good way to settle the dispute will be to altogether hand the captaincy to Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Teye Partey.

Below are some reactions on social media upon Gyan's retirement:

What a disastrous build up to a tournament. No winners in this.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Wey crawlings? :D

They will call up the cab driving photographer. :D

You served well Gyan. :clap:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
GYAN v AYEW......

Post by Enugu II »

Manner of Asamoah Gyan retirement reveals the true, fractured state of Black Stars
https://www.myjoyonline.com/sports/2019 ... -stars.php
Source: Ghana/Joy Sports/Gary Al-Smith
Date: 20-05-2019 Time: 09:05:45:pm

Ryan just checking what that guy Ayew is whispering to Coach Appiah....That guy, again?
:rotf:

Two weeks ago, Dr Kofi Amoah, head of the Ghana FA Normalization Committee, spoke about the state of Ghana’s senior national team. He went on about a few things, before zeroing in on the captaincy.
“There is no disagreement between Andre Ayew and Asamoah Gyan,” he told Metro TV.

“Both players were invited by the president [Nana Akufo-Addo] to the Jubilee House and the problem has been resolved. I was a witnessed to that and both players pledged to give their best to ensure the country win the AFCON in Egypt.”

Note the key part: “…the problem has been resolved”.

So, indeed, there was a problem.
Yes, there was. And there has always been a problem between the two. You know it. I know it.

If you did not believe it, Gyan has just blown the lid on it with his latest decision.
The surprise call

Gyan announced his retirement from the Ghana national team on Monday evening, but like all key moments of his career, it was a not a straightforward decision calling time on a storied and goal-filled career since 2003.
In a loaded statement – and one in which he also recused himself from services to the Black Stars at the coming AFCON – the former captain dropped significant hints about the state of the team currently.

Gyan starts his statement by saying that he “cannot pretend to be happy”, and then goes on to explain how he has dedicated himself to the national cause.
But the insightful part comes later in the missive.

“Upon consultation with my family and team, and as active footballer and captain of the National team, if the decision of the coach is to give the captaincy of the tournament to another player while I am named in the team of the tournament, I wish to recuse myself from the tournament.”
The player Gyan speaks of is Andre Ayew.

As deputy captain of the side, Andre’s role is theoretically to assist Gyan in leadership. On the field, and in front of the cameras, they smile, shake hands, and fist-bump.
Yet, the two have been at loggerheads behind the scenes for years.

In June 2017, after Gyan got his 50th career national team goal, he was feted on Joy FM’s Personality Profile. Show host, Lexis Bill, asked if he was friends with Andre.
“We are cool. When we meet at the national team camp, we are cool. But it’s not like we will call each other on the phone or I will just call and say hi. We are not on that level.”

It has long been known that there exists a power tussle between himself and Andre. It has never been open, but the friction and politics between the duo has always been there. To the extent that previous presidents of Ghana since the late John Evans Atta Mills have had to quietly impress upon the two, that the team supersedes their ambitions.
Ex-president John Mahama did (calling Andre and his brother to ask them to rescind their decision to retire in February 2013), and current president, Nana Akufo-Addo, has, too – in two separate meetings, once in November 2018, and the other in April.
“It’s true [Andre and I] went to meet the president to discuss with him the problems we have,” Gyan said after the November hook up. “The meeting was very successful but I wouldn’t like to go into details of what was discussed,” he added.

In the end, it is not that Gyan’s retired that is the problem. After all, players come and go. It is the way of life.
Yet, it is the how that will leave a bad taste long after he is gone.
With the announcement coming a day before Ghana is set to name a provisional squad for the AFCON, it sets the tone for an already fractured team to be tested even more.
Gyan leaves a sour taste
Let’s look back, and we see that the transitioning in the Ghana captaincy has been smooth for the better part of the last decade.
Stephen Appiah was made general captain on his way out, handing the band over to John Mensah. Gyan himself became captain as Mensah was being phased out, with the older player becoming general captain. Ironically, it was Kwesi Appiah who, in his first stint as coach, made the bold call in 2013.
One can sense that with this history, Gyan knows that being made general captain will be a clear indicator that his role will be reduced. And clearly, he does not want that.

Considering how Stephen Appiah and Mensah handled their respective captaincy situations, Gyan’s statement immediately does not look good. Of interest in the statement also is: “I also wish to retire from the national team permanently; not pretending my presence would not fuel the purported undermining the country has seen the captaincy.”
For someone who has been the leader of the side through so much, the entire tone of his letter signals a me-before-the-team stance, and it does seem a bit self-centred.
Who wins?
Must Gyan be captain before he can contribute to the national team? Nobody is bigger than the Black Stars, and this is all regrettable.
In the end, and with 32 days to the AFCON kickoff, who wins in this sordid matter?
Is it Gyan, the legendary striker who has featured in nine major tournaments at senior level and scored in every one of them, breaking and making records along the way?
Is it Kwesi Appiah, the coach yearning to redeem his image by winning a first AFCON for Ghana in 37-years? Andre, the deputy who has never hidden his desire to be captain one day? Who wins?
Nobody wins. Absolutely nobody.
Everybody loses.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Asamoah always unmidgetlike in his appearance and thoughts!

Glad they have to beg him to play for them now.

Cmoke
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: AFCON 2019: Updates..[Gyan v Ayew Finally forces Retirem

Post by Bigpokey24 »

ghana paaaaa
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Ghana, like Nigeria and most Africa countries are very poor in managing fall outs.
It makes no sense to strip him of captaincy while still active with the team.
This is national team not club side where such can be done, easily.
Too much wahala, back stabbing, and money changing hands.
Well, Ghana done dig dem hole.
If SE coach no be oyinbo all front pages of Nigeria dailies will be about to sack national coach, coach and assistants demanding pay from past 6 months, coach can't travel to see players, logistics is turned upside down.
But with Rohr dem go bend over.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

I hate to break it to my W.A bros & sis' but the UG Cranes are back and in the group with the hosts and Zimbabwe.
The winner will come out of that group if they don't kill each other...
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Kabalega wrote:I hate to break it to my W.A bros & sis' but the UG Cranes are back and in the group with the hosts and Zimbabwe.
Are you in the group of death like us?
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
ikemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba »

It looks like an unnamed prophet was involved in the change according to gyan's aide. The prophet prophesied that Ghana can only win the AFCON with Andre Ayew as captain :lol: :lol:

https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/ ... als-747890

A key aide of Asamoah Gyan has revealed that the former Ghana captain made a shock retirement from the national team because Kwesi Appiah relied on spiritual predictions to strip him off the Black Stars captaincy.

Communication member of Asamoah Gyan Group of Companies, Kweku Obeng popularly known as Maestro says the former Black Stars ace believes that a pastor’s prediction in the media that Andre Ayew is the only person to lead Ghana to the AFCON title led to coach Appiah decision to take the captain’s armband.

“On the 10 May, 2019 there was a publication on Ghanaweb which indicated that a Coach Kwesi Appiah was going to drop Asamoah Gyan. In that report a journalist and prophet had visited Kwesi Appiah at his private residence. In the discussions they had the prophet had told the coach that in a dream he saw Andre Ayew lifting the AFCON trophy. So the coach told the prophet to work on Andre Ayew. So in that discussion that is what has transpired leading him to make Gyan the General captain and Dede the main captain, he told Accra based radio station Adom FM.

“Asamoah Gyan was told that If the captain armband is given to Andre Ayew, Ghana will win the AFCON so he (Gyan) was asked to think about it and relinquish the captain to Andre Ayew".

“He quickly made some consultations and got back to the coach and asked where the decision was coming from. According to the coach when he was given the job for the second time there was pressure on him to change him as the captain of the side but he overlooked it and now there is too much pressure so he wished Gyan will come out publicly and voluntarily hand over the armband to Andre Ayew”, Maestro explained.

“He called Gyan to come out publicly to relinquish the captain’s armband to Andre Ayew and assured him of the General captain role. The coach did not show respect to him and that was why he retired”, he concluded.

Gyan officially announced his retirement from the Black Stars on Tuesday in the wake of this issue.

The 33-year old has scored 51 goals in 106 appearances for the national team since making his debut in 2003.

He played in seven Africa Cup of Nations and three World Cups for the Black Stars.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Jubril Ogolo wrote:
Kabalega wrote:I hate to break it to my W.A bros & sis' but the UG Cranes are back and in the group with the hosts and Zimbabwe.
Are you in the group of death like us?
How can you be in a group of death?
Do you have hosts Egypt or Zimbabwe in your group?

BTW, you want to avoid Uganda at all costs....
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

With his performances for the Black Stars Gyan has certainly earned his place as a legend of African football. With that being said, he has been underwhelming this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if Appiah's plan truly was to bring him off the bench.

Gyan has a very impressive record with the Black Stars, one very few players in Africa can match. His club career on the other hand is average.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

How many games did gyan even play in turkey?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!