Liverpool 2018/19 season + Game Threads

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liverpool 2018/19 season + Game Threads

Post by danfo driver »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

How do you define a Loser?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
can04
Egg
Egg

Post by can04 »

Fantastic league season. Absolutely fantastic. Fell short in the end, losing the title to an incredible Man City. On to Madrid.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Liverpool has had a brilliant season, if they win the champions league, it will be the icing on the cake, even if Spurs wins by a margin of error, they still had a brilliant season, playing back-to-back champions league finals is no mean feat!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Guys i know we had a great season... put in a massive effort playing scintillating football along the way but if we have to be honest we need to say we bottled it in the end. We had many chances to see City off but couldnt do it. We are the only team who has led the table in January and not won the title... and this has now happened 3 times. Its a failure however you want to look at it. The consolation is the Champions league final. We HAVE to win it. IF we dont then we probably wont win anything under Klopp.
YNWA
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

heavyd wrote:Guys i know we had a great season... put in a massive effort playing scintillating football along the way but if we have to be honest we need to say we bottled it in the end. We had many chances to see City off but couldnt do it. We are the only team who has led the table in January and not won the title... and this has now happened 3 times. Its a failure however you want to look at it. The consolation is the Champions league final. We HAVE to win it. IF we dont then we probably wont win anything under Klopp.
When you don't win you failed. Period. However to say we bottled it is simply incorrect.

In the end City proved the stronger team over the full stretch and had the deeper squad to see it through, in a contest of very fine margins.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...there must be a 1st and a 2nd, both are mean fits. Congrats to the 2 clubs.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

danfo driver wrote:
mcal wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
RUNNER UP TROPHY! WE GO AGAIN :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
...ain't easy being 2nd. Some will kill to be there :clap: :clap:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Sure! Like the commentator said today "sadly in a few years, no one would remember this great liverpool team and how far they came."

Let me restate that, "Thankfully, in a few months, no one would remember that these losers took second." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You either come first or you did not win! Simple as that! Only born losers celebrate second place. :rotf:
...you clearly sound like the American, Donald Trump, after winning still whining. Did City win in a wayo way you trying to camouflage :biggrin:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

danfo driver wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:Kudos to Herr Klopp for making this season this exciting... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now Senor Guardiola knows he won't simply 'walk' the EPL like 2017/18 season...

Given that Klopp ate up a 25 pts deficit in one calendar year...
I wager 2019/20 would be even tougher...
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

easy to "eat" when you spend:

90 million on one defender,
80 million on one midfielder
65 million on a defensive midfielder
70 million on a goalkeeper

give me that money and i will "eat' too. the difference is, unlike KLOPP the loser, i would have won the league
Ask Pep Guardiola if "Klopp is a loser"...

Unlike other 18 managers in the EPL, Herr Klopp is the only one keeping Pep up at night currently...

Kudos to Klopp...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Yes, Liverpool put City under pressure, et cetera. But some of us are trying very hard to ignore a fundamental problem, something that happened many times to Arsenal during those glory years when they were battling with Man United for the title. When City lost games, Liverpool could not take advantage, and just kept dropping points. How is it that a team that lost four games beat one that lost only one? There is a problem here that no one wants to address.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

txj wrote:
heavyd wrote:Guys i know we had a great season... put in a massive effort playing scintillating football along the way but if we have to be honest we need to say we bottled it in the end. We had many chances to see City off but couldnt do it. We are the only team who has led the table in January and not won the title... and this has now happened 3 times. Its a failure however you want to look at it. The consolation is the Champions league final. We HAVE to win it. IF we dont then we probably wont win anything under Klopp.
When you don't win you failed. Period. However to say we bottled it is simply incorrect.

In the end City proved the stronger team over the full stretch and had the deeper squad to see it through, in a contest of very fine margins.
Oga, 'failure' must be taken in context...

City beat Liverpool by 25 pts in 2018/19 season...

Its incredible that Liverpool made up 22 pts in 1 year...

Liverpool lost 1 game (away to Man City) all season...

You may question the 7 draws; yet Man City lost 4 games...

Its not 'failure' by Liverpool if Man City went on an incredible 14 match unbeaten run...

John Barnes is right: Man City merely sustained their quality over two seasons; Liverpool actually made an 'incredible' improvement and narrowed the gulf between both teams...
That is not failure, abeg...
- Bill Shankly
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

ohsee wrote:Yes, Liverpool put City under pressure, et cetera. But some of us are trying very hard to ignore a fundamental problem, something that happened many times to Arsenal during those glory years when they were battling with Man United for the title. When City lost games, Liverpool could not take advantage, and just kept dropping points. How is it that a team that lost four games beat one that lost only one? There is a problem here that no one wants to address.
Liverpool's 7 draws...

But that's nit-picking...Liverpool couldn't really do much more than they did...

To beat this Man City, Liverpool had to amass a minimum 99pts...that's two points less than the 101pts Man City amassed in 2017/18 which nobody thought was likely to be repeated again...

Reason Guardiola says this is his hardest title win...Man City needed to be 'perfect' to achieve it...A stupendous 14 game winning run is as close to 'perfect' as could be in the EPL...

I wager if Man City sustain their form, and amass a points total close to 98pts in 2019/20 they win the title again...nothing any other club can do about it...
That's how good this Guardiola's side is...
- Bill Shankly
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

100 pts in 2017/18...
98 pts in 2018/19...
Guardiola is the man
:clap: :clap: :clap:

But kudos to Herr Klopp...
Whereas Carlo Ancelotti, another contender for the job in October 2015, had presented owners Fenway Sports Group with a shopping list of three star players in defence, midfield and attack that he felt were needed to lift the tired Reds out of mid-table mediocrity, Klopp told the Americans in a meeting in New York that the main thing was to "activate the crowd".

Both at Mainz and at Dortmund, Klopp had learned that a strong bond between fans and players - a unified purpose - could push a team to the very limit of its capabilities and sometimes beyond. Tactics and systems were important, of course, but Liverpool could only become a force in England and Europe again if they could harness the special energy they used to generate.

Klopp is convinced that success comes from within. Liverpool had to reconnect with their identity as winners before they could become winners once more.

"He talked a lot about the team trusting itself, about belief, and not fearing any other team," Adam Lallana said of Klopp's first few days at Melwood, which resembled a lengthy therapy session.

"He definitely had that confidence himself, that aura and belief that he is a top manager. He walked through the door and you could feel it. And I think that automatically filters through."

"A coach must love his players," the 51-year-old once told a staff member at Dortmund. Klopp, like many who excel at their job, really does love coaching too.

As a child, he wanted to be a doctor - "I wanted to help people" - and he sees his task as looking after the heart, body and soul of his charges to enable them to perform to their best abilities.

To do so, he finds out about their hopes and fears in lengthy talks, and adopts a specific psychological approach for every single player. A close look at his post-match demeanour over the years showed that his famously tactile appreciation of his players came in a number of varying degrees.

A long hug symbolised great praise. Lesser performances were greeted with a friendly tap on the shoulder, while a young player in danger of getting carried away could find himself gently slapped in the face. Klopp's physical closeness defines and strengthens the social structures within the dressing room and enhances the bond between him and his men...
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48243730
- Bill Shankly
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
txj wrote:

Its not 'failure' by Liverpool if Man City went on an incredible 14 match unbeaten run...

John Barnes is right: Man City merely sustained their quality over two seasons; Liverpool actually made an 'incredible' improvement and narrowed the gulf between both teams...

No its not failure in the sense you think I am referring to. I'm just stating the simple fact they failed to come 1st.

But to say they bottled it, is mere regurgitation of cliches...

Nobody can win every game. But I thought in some of those drawn games, the team should've pushed harder. But that's easy to say from the outside.

City deserved it. They had the depth of quality to play to the optimum in every game. The question was always the mentality and they had a manager who would not let them flag...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Everyone just seem to be brandishing "bottled it" like it's trendy.
All the quality Man City bought with all that money made the difference, a solitary point.
Liverpool tried and stood toe to toe with City.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

txj wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
txj wrote:

No its not failure in the sense you think I am referring to. I'm just stating the simple fact they failed to come 1st.

But to say they bottled it, is mere regurgitation of cliches...

Nobody can win every game. But I thought in some of those drawn games, the team should've pushed harder. But that's easy to say from the outside.

City deserved it. They had the depth of quality to play to the optimum in every game. The question was always the mentality and they had a manager who would not let them flag...
For the sake of the league, I pray Klopp has the fire to chase down Guardiola again in 2019/20...
To beat Guardiola, Klopp would probably need to target 100pts in 2019/20, as I can't see Guardiola's side dropping off from their current level...

Unbelievable...
- Bill Shankly
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote:

Sorry my brother but the depth of the squad had nothing to do with it. When you blow a 7 point cushion (or 'pillow' as José called it), that, my friend, is the definition of a bottle job. Liverpool and Klopp only have themselves to blame. And my preference was Liverpool over City.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

mcal wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
mcal wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Sure! Like the commentator said today "sadly in a few years, no one would remember this great liverpool team and how far they came."

Let me restate that, "Thankfully, in a few months, no one would remember that these losers took second." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You either come first or you did not win! Simple as that! Only born losers celebrate second place. :rotf:
...you clearly sound like the American, Donald Trump, after winning still whining. Did City win in a wayo way you trying to camouflage :biggrin:
Yes. America unapologetically celebrates winners. If you don't win, you may have come last. In sports, especially if you are a massive club like Liverpool, winning is the only thing that should matter. Only consolation is the opportunity to win the CL which, notwithstanding the disappointment of the league, will still be a massive accomplishment for Klopp and the club and kick them into next season with heads held high.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:
txj wrote:

Sorry my brother but the depth of the squad had nothing to do with it. When you blow a 7 point cushion (or 'pillow' as José called it), that, my friend, is the definition of a bottle job. Liverpool and Klopp only have themselves to blame. And my preference was Liverpool over City.
Of course JK and LFC have themselves to blame; they did not get the job done ultimately.

But its not a bottle job. That's just lazy analysis...None of the two teams could've won all their games; its just not possible...

City dropped points when they lost those games, as did LFC when they drew all those games. But over the course of the campaign, City proved to last longer...

They lasted longer b/c in part they had the depth of quality to do so. Is that an excuse? Absolutely not!

LFC lost and City won; period!

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mcal wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
mcal wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

You either win or you lose. There is no middle ground. Second does not count. In a few months, people will forget this Livrpool team and their "triumphant gallant fight to second place) :rotf: :rotf: LiverF00L LOST! In the words of Robbt, "Kpom Kwem!" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:Kudos to Herr Klopp for making this season this exciting... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now Senor Guardiola knows he won't simply 'walk' the EPL like 2017/18 season...

Given that Klopp ate up a 25 pts deficit in one calendar year...
I wager 2019/20 would be even tougher...
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

easy to "eat" when you spend:

90 million on one defender,
80 million on one midfielder
65 million on a defensive midfielder
70 million on a goalkeeper

give me that money and i will "eat' too. the difference is, unlike KLOPP the loser, i would have won the league
Ask Pep Guardiola if "Klopp is a loser"...

Unlike other 18 managers in the EPL, Herr Klopp is the only one keeping Pep up at night currently...

Kudos to Klopp...
The only thing keeping Pep up at night is the alchohol he drank and the toto he sampled yesterday night to celebrate winning his back-to-back title! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Best believe that!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
txj wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: kai! LOOOOOL