How Guardiola is revolutionizing English football

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: How Guardiola is revolutionizing English football

Post by YUJAM »

Romero a ball playing goalie? Don’t make me laugh.

You and TFCO have a lot in common - but one thing that stands out is watching games without understanding the finer aspects of it. Tgat’s Why TFCO is in this uncomfortable position in the first place. I won’t waste my time trying to explain this to y’all.

benteke wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
tfco wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Just popping in to remind our Ghanaian mental midget that it’s a long, not short, game
:clap: :clap: :clap:

hes on back-to-back...nice

what has he revolutionized?
tactics?

3 at the back?
You can’t possibly be that thick. Ball playing goalies. Now all EPL teams try this. Possession out of the back. Tactics to stop this system - the relentless press at the top. Pep has made the EPL better. He’s Also made the English NT better. They play out of the back and use several of his players. His arrival has changed the English game for the better he has changed/revolutionized the game in England.
Come on bro. You also cannot be that thick, i refuse, i am 100% sure you are much smarter and just winding up tfco. :biggrin:

Ball playing goalies and playing from the back ? We saw it in EPL before Guardiola even agreed coming to City.
I saw it with Van Gaal he even brought Romero and Valdez, and tried to revolutionize Smalling and Jones into ball playing centre backs all to achieve playing from the back.
I'm very sure others have seen such before, the likes of Rodgers have been doing that from Swansea days.
Press at the top. Come on.
None of the concepts he excels in are new, but i would agree he executed them well.
Retaining the title, not new or unique to him.

Much respect but not overboard :thumbs:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote:

tactics?

3 at the back?
Liverpool's 97 pts would have won the league in 25 out of 26 previous EPL seasons. Last season City won with 100 pts. This season 98. Liverpool's 97 pts are 18 more than Manure had when they won the treble. No team has ever lost only one game and not win the title like Liverpool did this season. The bar has been raised. Don't hate, appreciate.
http://www.naijiant.com/
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

congrats to Pep for winning on of the closest league title races in modern history!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

198 points over two campaigns. Ridiculous. Inheritance sweet o!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

YUJAM wrote:Romero a ball playing goalie? Don’t make me laugh.

You and TFCO have a lot in common - but one thing that stands out is watching games without understanding the finer aspects of it. Tgat’s Why TFCO is in this uncomfortable position in the first place. I won’t waste my time trying to explain this to y’all.

My friend don't try to hide behind your finger.
What was Valdez. Why do you think Van Gaal brought him to United.
There's nothing you can explain to me, don't even bother.
It's actually fine to praise Pep without trying to act as if he invented some things that already existed.
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

....don't rate him.....he's never had any constraints, be it financial or players......
.....let him coach a team with even half of what he has at his disposal....and watch him flop
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Gooner1 wrote:....don't rate him.....he's never had any constraints, be it financial or players......
.....let him coach a team with even half of what he has at his disposal....and watch him flop
He coached Barca B to promotion in his first job.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:
tfco wrote:

tactics?

3 at the back?
Liverpool's 97 pts would have won the league in 25 out of 26 previous EPL seasons. Last season City won with 100 pts. This season 98. Liverpool's 97 pts are 18 more than Manure had when they won the treble. No team has ever lost only one game and not win the title like Liverpool did this season. The bar has been raised. Don't hate, appreciate.
ok

he has revolutionized the game in England...by winning more games
win more games = more games = revolutionizing the league

if Pool had won the league, would Klopp be credited for revolutionizing the league by getting more points than the Invincibles?
Did Arsene revolutionize the league by going the whole season unbeaten?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

You can’t possibly be that thick.
1. Ball playing goalies. Now all EPL teams try this.
2. Possession out of the back.
3. Tactics to stop this system - the relentless press at the top.

Pep has made the EPL better. He’s Also made the English NT better. They play out of the back and use several of his players. His arrival has changed the English game for the better he has changed/revolutionized the game in England.
Thank you for elaborating on the finer aspects of The Revolution

In summary, prior to Guardiola:
1. GK's in England did not play the ball from the back
2. Possession from the back was unheard of
3. Relentless pressing was not done

ok

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Gooner1 wrote:....don't rate him.....he's never had any constraints, be it financial or players......
Kpom but i give him credit if he spend his team is good. We knkw some people who can spend and stilk park the bus.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

LEGEND. Phenomenal coach and manager of men.

The moment he edged ahead of Liverpool, I knew and said he won't let his team falter. Dude is a certified phenomenon.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote:
ok

if Pool had won the league, would Klopp be credited for revolutionizing the league by getting more points than the Invincibles?
He has changed what is required to be champs. It is raising standards. I said earlier in this thread that you don't need to win to revolutionise. I said earlier that Wenger revolutionised the game in England. Klopp is also revolutionising the game, showing how to neutralise Barca with high intensity for 90mins. He may not be the first to do it but doing it a high stage has given it a profile that is transformational.
cic old boy wrote:Many people are taxed about the "revolutionizing" comment. Some are mixing up "revolutionizing" with winning. You can win without "revolutionizing". You can "revolutionize" without winning. One of the most "revolutionizing" coaches is Marcelo Bielsa and he doesn't have that may titles to his name. "Revolutionizing" is about changing the way the game is played - stuff like sweepers were brought in by "revolutionizing" coaches, overlapping fullbacks, wing-backs, etc, building from the back with the goalie, defensive high line, high press, etc are about "revolutionizing". If you "revolutionize" and win, many will copy you.

Wenger was a "revolutionizing" coach in England when he first came.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Can’t believe people are still debating this issue, you don’t have to like someone to acknowledge their accomplishments. Give credit where it’s due and move on. I don’t care for Sir Alex Ferguson but I respect what he did at Man United. Anyone who says Pep isn’t helping to change English football is lying imho.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:
tfco wrote:
ok

He has changed what is required to be champs. It is raising standards. I said earlier in this thread that you don't need to win to revolutionise. I said earlier that Wenger revolutionised the game in England. Klopp is also revolutionising the game, showing how to neutralise Barca with high intensity for 90mins. He may not be the first to do it but doing it a high stage has given it a profile that is transformational.
ok sure
Conte - 1st season. 93 points. Champions

was that revolutionary? Coach wins EPL in 1st season with 93 points
Or was Conte's revolution the 3-at-the-back (what was mostly mentioned in the media)

If you do not need to win to revolutionize, that is counter to your earlier statement of 'what is required to be champs'
By my simple Math, in order to be champs, you need more points that the other teams
In order to get more points, you need to ___

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:

It's actually fine to praise Pep without trying to act as if he invented some things that already existed.
abi o

3-at-the-back
ball playing GKs
high press

Soon dem go add...executing 10+ passes in the opposition half

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

tfco wrote:
benteke wrote:

abi o

3-at-the-back
ball playing GKs
high press

Soon dem go add...executing 10+ passes in the opposition half
See that's the problem.
When Conte won the league in his first season with 3 at the back, with a nice unbeaten run, immediately many sectors tried to credit him for revolutionising English football with 3 at the back.
Pochettinno had to come out and tell people that it was not a new thing in EPL.

But i can see where this is going, Yujam and friends can see that EPL is back when it comes to Champions League, they didn't see it coming despite warnings from people like you who allegedly don't understand the finer details of football.
So they will now try to credit any EPL progress in Europe to Pep Gardiola despite him not making the Final with City yet, that's a very nice get out of jail card :thumbs:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote: ok sure

Or was Conte's revolution the 3-at-the-back (what was mostly mentioned in the media)

If you do not need to win to revolutionize, that is counter to your earlier statement of 'what is required to be champs'
By my simple Math, in order to be champs, you need more points that the other teams
You have a problem with simple English comprehension. You don't have to win to revolutionise doesn't mean you don't/can't revolutionise by winning. Many copied Conte's three at the back. There's nothing revolutionary about 93 points in a 1st season. Borinho had 95 in his 1st.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

cic old boy wrote:
tfco wrote: ok sure

You have a problem with simple English comprehension. You don't have to win to revolutionise doesn't mean you don't/can't revolutionise by winning. Many copied Conte's three at the back. There's nothing revolutionary about 93 points in a 1st season. Borinho had 95 in his 1st.
OK you can talk about setting a higher bar, like Mourinho moving the bar to 95, and then Pep to 100 points.
Ferguson back to back titles,
Pellegrini setting the goals scored record
But to rave about 3.at the back as if it's a revolution, no that's where i disagree.
Pochettino has also set a very high bar by doing so well despite spending nothing in two transfer windows.
Klopp as well deserves big praise.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Mr. Piffington wrote:Can’t believe people are still debating this issue, you don’t have to like someone to acknowledge their accomplishments. Give credit where it’s due and move on. I don’t care for Sir Alex Ferguson but I respect what he did at Man United. Anyone who says Pep isn’t helping to change English football is lying imho.
Ok listen, if we agree that he is changing English football, then that means anyone who has come before with their ideas that are not actually new, has revolutionized English football.
But we all know football and it's tactics change all the time, a lot of stuff is repeated with varying success, it works in cycles.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

One can admire City's and Pep's achievements and still be aware of how that achievement is funded.

As for a revolution, well it depends on what lasting effect Pep has on the English game beyond City.

Followers of the Bundesliga can tell us whether Pep revolutionised the game there....
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

This is from an English pair, not Yujam Or CIC

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.u ... tball/amp/

Manchester City have transformed English football - we are all winners from their brilliance

Monday May 13th 2019
No more are we a nation that distrusts skill and artistry - Pep Guardiola has shown us there is another way to win

That Manchester City had to work so hard to retain the trophy won with 100 points a year ago is testimony to Pep Guardiola's vision (Getty Images)
That Manchester City had to work so hard to retain the trophy won with 100 points a year ago is testimony to Pep Guardiola's vision (Getty Images)
The points don’t lie. All 98 of them. Back to back titles for the first time, a domestic treble in prospect, and a mighty adversary overcome. Manchester City proved themselves the best in the land again, a team led by the greatest coach of the age, by a captain as accomplished as any in the history of the club and a squad as deep as the Premier League has known.

Yes City are an institution bathed in immense advantage but not an ounce of the privilege bestowed by great wealth is squandered. Not a corner is cut in delivering the quality and excellence that has returned 198 points over the past two seasons.

Read more: Manchester City add late theatre to title race before breaking Liverpool hearts with Brighton triumph

City prevailed in the end by a point over a Liverpool team equally worthy of the Premier League crown. Ninety-seven points is an absurd number to attach to failure, if that is what coming second means. Liverpool have a chance to embellish their reputation still further via the European route in the Champions League final, though given the choice coach Jürgen Klopp conceded he would have preferred the pot sealed by City with victory at Brighton. And some.

Final frontier

Though the European Cup retains the greater cache, the Premier League is harder to win and is a more accurate measure of a team’s quality and strength. The sense that it remains City’s final frontier is undermined by the appearance in the Champions League final of a Spurs team that has lost 13 times in a championship won so brilliantly by City.

Read more: Why Liverpool are a different kind of runners-up

There was no sense that City would trade places with any as Guardiola was bounced shoulder high around the Amex by his celebrating players on Sunday. Having overcome a tense start City accelerated away from a gutsy Brighton, the second half a demonstration of City at their arresting, powerful best.

The Brighton team, like their fans, showed their appreciation by staying behind at the end to applaud the coronation. They understood they were witness to a special occasion, paying due respect to a City team that has transformed the way that we see the game in England. No more a nation that distrusts skill and artistry, that puts industry before endeavour. Guardiola has shown us another way to win, trusting to a heightened aesthetic.

New optimism

Manchester City have promised there will be no let up next season (Getty Images)
Manchester City have promised there will be no let up next season (Getty Images)
That his team had to work so hard to retain the trophy won with 100 points a year ago is testimony to his own vision. Liverpool under Klopp are a variation on a theme, a team committed to a fearless attacking template, one that invests in a high voltage approach that places the emphasis on scoring rather than stopping goals. Thanks to these two, and Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs, there is a new optimism about the English game that has even found expression in the national team. We are all winners as a result.

Read more: Hope evaporates for Liverpool but pride in this wonderful team will linger

In victory Guardiola reiterated his opinion that this was the hardest-won championship of his career, his eighth in 11 seasons across Spain, Germany and England. And in his acceptance speech he added his gratitude to Liverpool for making it so. “We have to say congratulations to Liverpool and thank you so much. They pushed us to increase our standards. It’s incredible, 98 points, to go back-to-back. We made the standard higher last season and Liverpool helped us. To win this title we had to win 14 [league games] in a row. We couldn’t lose one point. It’s the toughest title we have won in all my career, by far.”

Roger that, says captain Kompany. “Back to back, it was the hardest and most satisfying ever. Liverpool were exceptional this year. I don’t mean to rub it in. They didn’t deserve to lose. But we played against such a good team all season and until now we were able to stay in front. Right from the very first meeting at the start of the season the goal was to retain the title. I’m so proud to be part of that, the first time this club has done it.”

Guardiola pledged no let up next term. Plenty of time to worry about that. City go again in the FA Cup at the weekend, aiming to be the first to claim the domestic treble, then it’s off to the golf course for Guardiola, and for the players a few weeks filling the pages of Hello magazine jumping off a yachts in the Med. Good luck to them.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

This one has interesting stats

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... -prem/amp/

REVOLUTION Guardiola and Klopp have redefining English football, the Prem is unrecognisable from just ten years ago
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

The YeyeMan wrote:One can admire City's and Pep's achievements and still be aware of how that achievement is funded.

As for a revolution, well it depends on what lasting effect Pep has on the English game beyond City.

Followers of the Bundesliga can tell us whether Pep revolutionised the game there....
These opinions are a problem sometimes.
If we remember correctly, before Pep arrived in Bundesliga, Bayern was getting into CL finals regularly and we even witnessed an all Bundesliga final Bayern vs Dortmund.
From the time of his arrival there we have not seen any of that, and Bayern has been struggling in CL. By the looks of things we won't be seeing any all German CL final soon.
And other people have some interesting opinions about his long term impact https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport. ... iegel/amp/

:biggrin: