U20 WC: NIGERIA's 21-MAN SQUAD NAMED

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: U20 WC: NIGERIA's 21-MAN SQUAD NAMED

Post by Otitokoro »

Understand Arthur just opted to honor an invite from the England U18 instead.
Gotti wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Did the coach even attempt to talk to Authur Okonkwo??? His inclusion would make more sense than that guy that plays in Seria Z. Maduka Okoye would have been another good option.
Maduka Okoye reportedly tweeted recently that he will be joining the U23 squad for the final U23 AFCON qualifiers against Sudan. We await.

Meanwhile, I think that Nigeria/NFF has been chasing after Arthur Okonkwo for a minute, and can only conclude that the effort has thus far been unsuccessful.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wale1974 wrote:Are we planning on winning or just to show up :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Player development.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:
wale1974 wrote:Are we planning on winning or just to show up :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Player development.
Is player development and winning mutually-exclusive? :D
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Guendozi is clearly better than Nwakali. Guendozi is one of the better CMs in the EPL, while Nwakali is struggling to get games in the Portuguese 2nd division.

Weah and McKinnie are fringe players in the US national team, so it does make some sense to invite them to the U20 world cup. However, I agree with you on the merits of leaving Chuwkueze off the U20 squad. He will be playing in the AFCON, so it makes more sense to let him get some rest after the season and focus on AFCON. He is also more established than any of the US U20 players.
ohenhen1 wrote:It is not unusual. Look at the plight of Kelechi Nwakii. Signed with Arsenal, loaned out to 2nd or 3rd division teams because he couldn't get work permit in England. Nigerians are not given the same opportunities as Europeans for jobs in Europe. You will have to show exceptional talent at an early age to get into the major clubs.

Is a guy like Guandozi better than Nwakili?

Also most of our top players are not part of the team. Uzoho, Chukwuze and etc. The purpose of the U20 or any age grade team is to develop players for the Senior national team. Once they are ready, they should never play for the age grade team again.

I don't get why the US is inviting Senior team players like Tim Weah, Richards, Mckennie for an U20 tournament. That makes no sense.
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Paveman, na your face be this. Longest time bro!! Awesome insight always...

Paveman wrote:
Gotti wrote:Unfortunately, I do not hold out much hope for this Flying Eagles' squad (as Coach Paul Aigbogun literally still seems to be scouting and screening players with barely a couple of weeks to the commencement of the tournament), and thus anything they achieve past the group stage I would consider a bonus.

Hopefully, some promising SE/Olympics team prospects would emerge. GOOD LUCK LADS!
Goalkeepers: Detan Ogundare (Kogi United); Olawale Oremade (Kwara United); Jonathan Zaccala (Triestina FC, Italy)

Defenders: Valentine Ozornwafor (Enyimba FC); Aliu Salawudeen (Amuneke Academy); Igoh Ogbu (Rosenborg BK, Norway); Ikouwem Utin (Enyimba FC); Muhammad Rabiu (Plateau United); Jamil Muhammad (Kano Pillars)

Midfielders: Nnamdi Ofoborh (AFC Bournemouth, England); Eletu Peter (Prince Kazeem FC); Ayotomiwa Dele-Bashiru (Manchester City, England); Kingsley Michael (AC Perugia, Italy); Effiom Maxwell (Enyimba FC); Aniekeme Okon (Akwa United); Collins Sor (Oasis FC)

Forwards: Jerome Adams (Sogndal IL, Norway); Tijani Muhammed (FC Banik Ostrava, Czech Republic); Henry Offia (IK Sirius Uppsala, Sweden); Chinonso Emeka (Club Brookhouse, England); Success Makanjuola (Water FC)

*Courtesy of NFF website
Remind me, what year is the eldest they can be born?
p.s. what the hell is club brookhouse????
p.p.s Jonathan Zaccala is actually part of Serie D (amateur) team GS Arconatese and as far as I can gather has not played a single game for the senior team this year....
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Thanks Gotti.

Hopefully the boys can put in a decent showing at the tourney and surprise a lot of peeps. Good luck to them :thumbs: :thumbs:
Gotti wrote:Unfortunately, I do not hold out much hope for this Flying Eagles' squad (as Coach Paul Aigbogun literally still seems to be scouting and screening players with barely a couple of weeks to the commencement of the tournament), and thus anything they achieve past the group stage I would consider a bonus.

Hopefully, some promising SE/Olympics team prospects would emerge. GOOD LUCK LADS!
Goalkeepers: Detan Ogundare (Kogi United); Olawale Oremade (Kwara United); Jonathan Zaccala (Triestina FC, Italy)

Defenders: Valentine Ozornwafor (Enyimba FC); Aliu Salawudeen (Amuneke Academy); Igoh Ogbu (Rosenborg BK, Norway); Ikouwem Utin (Enyimba FC); Muhammad Rabiu (Plateau United); Jamil Muhammad (Kano Pillars)

Midfielders: Nnamdi Ofoborh (AFC Bournemouth, England); Eletu Peter (Prince Kazeem FC); Ayotomiwa Dele-Bashiru (Manchester City, England); Kingsley Michael (AC Perugia, Italy); Effiom Maxwell (Enyimba FC); Aniekeme Okon (Akwa United); Collins Sor (Oasis FC)

Forwards: Jerome Adams (Sogndal IL, Norway); Tijani Muhammed (FC Banik Ostrava, Czech Republic); Henry Offia (IK Sirius Uppsala, Sweden); Chinonso Emeka (Club Brookhouse, England); Success Makanjuola (Water FC)

*Courtesy of NFF website
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Mister Dolly wrote:Paveman, na your face be this. Longest time bro!! Awesome insight always...

Paveman wrote:

*Courtesy of NFF website
p.p.s Jonathan Zaccala is actually part of Serie D (amateur) team GS Arconatese and as far as I can gather has not played a single game for the senior team this year....
As long as Nigeria doesn't embrace professional development in a progressive manner don't be surprised,the lack of accountability and merit from coaches is excused because Nigeria as a whole is a makeshift country that sacrifices planning and organisation for money and temporary aesthetics!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I'm ok with academy players being included in the squad, as long as they are there on merit and truly within the age limit. Not sure if that's the case for the players in question, however, it seems that some of our home based players now hold off on signing for NPFL teams, with the hope of moving straight to Europe. I am surprised though by the inclusion of the non-league player based in the UK, when so many professional foreign based players were cut.

Lolly wrote:

*Courtesy of NFF website
A world cup bound under-20 team with academy players and a player from a non-league club in the UK? Ok oh.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Completely agree that it all comes down to performance on the green grass.

But you have to wonder why we cannot ever seem to get things right.

I have followed Tab Ramos's process of building this US U-20 team and what stands out for me is PROCESS.

Like Nigeria, he has added new players but unlike us, does not appear ad hoc as our seems, at least from the outside looking in. And apart from Weah who has been in the senior team, all the others have at some point cycled thru his developmental games...

What is especially painful to me is the clear lack of commitment to scout and develop players...We are so focused on short cuts!

Gotti wrote:
Paveman wrote: Remind me, what year is the eldest they can be born?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Compare our squad (on paper) to the US squad that we will face in the group stage...
Of course, football is played on the field and thus anything can happen out on the pitch.

GOALKEEPERS (3): CJ Dos Santos (Benfica/POR; Foxchase, Pa.; 2/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.; 4/0), Brady Scott (Köln/GER; Petaluma, Calif.; 9/0)

DEFENDERS (6): Sergino Dest (Ajax/NED; Almere-Stad, Netherlands; 8/1), Chris Gloster (Hannover 96/GER; Montclair, N.J.; 11/0), Aboubacar Keita (Richmond Kickers; Columbus, Ohio; 2/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; Bear, Del.; 10/3), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union; Drexel Hill, Pa.; 10/0), Chris Richards (Bayern Munich/GER: Birmingham, Ala.; 8/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Edwin Cerrillo (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas; 0/0), Chris Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.; 2/0), Richard Ledezma (PSV Eindhoven/NED; Phoenix, Ariz.; 4/0), Alex Mendez (Freiburg/GER; Los Angeles, Calif.; 15/8), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; Highland Village, Texas; 9/3), Brandon Servania (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas; 8/2)

FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC/CAN; Brampton, Ont.; 12/9), Konrad De La Fuente (Barcelona/ESP; Miami, Fla.; 2/1), Ulysses Llanez (Wolfsburg/GER; Lynwood, Calif.; 11/7), Justin Rennicks (New England Revolution; South Hamilton, Mass.; 13/6), Sebastian Soto (Hannover 96/GER; San Diego, Calif.; 5/2), Tim Weah (Celtic FC/SCO; Rosedale, N.Y.; 0/0)
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Mister Dolly wrote:Paveman, na your face be this. Longest time bro!! Awesome insight always...

Paveman wrote:

*Courtesy of NFF website
So good to see you here too !!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Process or no process. The USA will still get spanked by Nigeria. If Tim Weah is not enough, call up pullisic. My money is on Nigeria. The team is organized at the back. We have good midfielders. The problem is the attack.

olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I'm not as confident as you. That US team looks quite strong.
ohenhen1 wrote:Process or no process. The USA will still get spanked by Nigeria. If Tim Weah is not enough, call up pullisic. My money is on Nigeria. The team is organized at the back. We have good midfielders. The problem is the attack.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

olu wrote:I'm not as confident as you. That US team looks quite strong.
ohenhen1 wrote:Process or no process. The USA will still get spanked by Nigeria. If Tim Weah is not enough, call up pullisic. My money is on Nigeria. The team is organized at the back. We have good midfielders. The problem is the attack.
If we can solve the scoring problems. The FE can be really good

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

FE 1 Salzburg 1

Goal by Tijani Mohamed. Salzburg scored first.

Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Was it Salzburg s youth team ?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Paveman wrote:Was it Salzburg s youth team ?

I dont know. We shouldn't play at our best in friendlies. The coach is experimenting and testing players

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Most likely.
I doubt any self-respecting professional club would pitch their full team against a youth team.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

You appear chronically incapable of learning anything from the environment you are in. Sad.....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

txj wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Process or no process. The USA will still get spanked by Nigeria. If Tim Weah is not enough, call up pullisic. My money is on Nigeria. The team is organized at the back. We have good midfielders. The problem is the

You appear chronically incapable of learning anything from the environment you are in. Sad.....

Our team is organized. The only problem is we dont have a good striker. Nigeria process is good We have a good youth system. Nigeria is playing a lot of friendlies.

olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Even for an U20 team what worries me is the relative obscurity of the forwards and how few games some of them seem to have played for their clubs. It's hard for me to imagine that he couldn't find any forwards that are a little more established at home or abroad? If any of these forwards turn out to be hidden gems, then Aigbogun did an incredible scouting job. Time will tell.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo,

Your opinion on the list is valuable since you are one of the few here close to some of these youths. Could you elaborate on why you label it as an interesting list?
Ugbowo wrote:Very interesting list

I dont even know where to start. Good luck to the lads.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Damunk wrote:
Most likely.
I doubt any self-respecting professional club would pitch their full team against a youth team.
Damunk, many professional clubs - usually this depends on the coach's preferences - play midweek friendlies against amateur/lower level teams - just to get a kick about which is slightly better than a training match between the players. They try out tactics, bring in people coming back from injury and give a good kickabout to players having less game time. The games are often not publicised or open to the public. Juventus, for example, during the period where champs league games are not played, play against one of the many teams in the Piemonte region languishing in the 3rd or 4th division. In Italy, this is quite common for many mid-table Serie A teams who have no midweek games. It's not as implausible as you might think.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Paveman wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Most likely.
Damunk, many professional clubs - usually this depends on the coach's preferences - play midweek friendlies against amateur/lower level teams - just to get a kick about which is slightly better than a training match between the players. They try out tactics, bring in people coming back from injury and give a good kickabout to players having less game time. The games are often not publicised or open to the public. Juventus, for example, during the period where champs league games are not played, play against one of the many teams in the Piemonte region languishing in the 3rd or 4th division. In Italy, this is quite common for many mid-table Serie A teams who have no midweek games. It's not as implausible as you might think.
Point taken.
The behind-closed-doors policy makes sense.
Imagine the Nigerian U23 team beating Barcelona A-team in the Nou Camp in front of their own fans!
Wahala! :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "