NIGERIA WOMENS FOOTBALL HAS NOT GROWN IN 10 YEARS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

JACKAL
Egg
Egg
NIGERIA WOMENS FOOTBALL HAS NOT GROWN IN 10 YEARS

Post by JACKAL »

We were pioneers and early participants in Women's football in Africa. We dominated Women's football in Africa for the last 25 years winning 11 Women's ANC titles in the process.

In the last 10 years however, we have seen other Africans nations programs catch up with us. Not only have we lost the ANC title twice, the margins of victory against our toughest opponents have narrowed considerable. We seem to be eeking out the victories these days.

I am not saying we are regressing, We are just not improving at a rate that would allow us to catch up with the best teams in the world.
Hiring a good foreign coach helps, but we all know without proper player developemnt from an early age you are not really solving the problem.

I actually beleive our women can win the the World cup before the men do. We need to put more resources toward Womens youth programs if we really want to compete at the highest levels.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NIGERIA WOMENS FOOTBALL HAS NOT GROWN IN 10 YEARS

Post by jette1 »

I can bet my last penny there are 100 more assisats all over Nigeria but their oxygen is being consumed by players that should have been let go from the team 2 world cups ago. Who in the world fields same players for five consecutive world cups ? not even the US with best players in the world. That alone is indicative of the problem. Yea there are exceptions like Marta of Brazil who never stops giving.
Last edited by jette1 on Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

jette1 wrote:I can bet my last penny that there are 100 more assisats all over Nigeria but their oxygen is being consumed by players that should have been let go from the team 2 world cups ago. Who in the world fields same players for five consecutive world cups ? not even the US with best players in the world. That alone is indicative of the problem
I bet u have a similar problem as we have in Ghana.
If you allow the coach to taste the "couche", you'll make the team
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Nigeria never grows so obviously such immaturity will find its way into their football women’s or men’s!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Rawlings wrote:
jette1 wrote:I can bet my last penny that there are 100 more assisats all over Nigeria but their oxygen is being consumed by players that should have been let go from the team 2 world cups ago. Who in the world fields same players for five consecutive world cups ? not even the US with best players in the world. That alone is indicative of the problem
I bet u have a similar problem as we have in Ghana.
If you allow the coach to taste the "couche", you'll make the team
Unfortunately that happens everywhere
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-afgh ... SKCN1RB06A
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

SO NIGERIAN WOMEN FOOTBALL HASN'T GROWN?

Show me something that gets better with time in Nigeria. The canoe used by villagers for fishing? It's been the same for over 100 years. The truck used to haul produce from the interior? Has that changed? The domestic "buses" (which are actually tin cans mounted on a truck chassis? That hasn't changed for almost 100 years. Instead of outgrowing those horrible tricycles, some are now promoting it as a standard mode of transportation. It's the same story with boreholes, power generators, kiakia bus, etc. We know where stadiums built at great costs stand.

Bottom line is nothing gets better with time in Nigeria: they remain the same or regress. And bold ideas (or promising political candidates) that can bring about transformation are quickly knocked down because Nigerians are unwilling to go thru the burden of navigating or exploring bold ideas.

I know the resources are scarce and women's football is currently not a moneymaker but I'm sure there are creative ways those in charge could have used to improve things. But Nigeria is not being led by creative people but by those who only look at conventional and historic ways of doing things.

(I take issue with the OP's suggestion that the hiring of "a good foreign coach is good". What good has it brought about. In fact, the relative decline of Nigeria's women roughly coincides with the arrival of this foreign blessing)
Bell
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

We benefit from everyone else in Africa being so far behind us that it hasn't affected us yet.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

JACKAL wrote:We were pioneers and early participants in Women's football in Africa. We dominated Women's football in Africa for the last 25 years winning 11 Women's ANC titles in the process.

In the last 10 years however, we have seen other Africans nations programs catch up with us. Not only have we lost the ANC title twice, the margins of victory against our toughest opponents have narrowed considerable. We seem to be eeking out the victories these days.

I am not saying we are regressing, We are just not improving at a rate that would allow us to catch up with the best teams in the world.
Hiring a good foreign coach helps, but we all know without proper player developemnt from an early age you are not really solving the problem.

I actually beleive our women can win the the World cup before the men do. We need to put more resources toward Womens youth programs if we really want to compete at the highest levels.
Where have you been the other 10yrs, because it is 20 yrs instead of 10yrs; so make it 20yrs and retitle your topic.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

jette1 wrote:I can bet my last penny there are 100 more assisats all over Nigeria but their oxygen is being consumed by players that should have been let go from the team 2 world cups ago. Who in the world fields same players for five consecutive world cups ? not even the US with best players in the world. That alone is indicative of the problem. Yea there are exceptions like Marta of Brazil who never stops giving.
What you said is a complete falacy. Where are the other Assisats? Are you not watching the current Women's Wafu? Is that not made up of 90% new players? Where is the new Assisat in that team. Can you honestly say that the Wafu team will do better than the ones going to the world cup? The real problem here is the inconsistent and poorly funded female league and the zero youth programmes/ academies for female players. Once these are resolved we would then see a clear improvement . For now we can only hope our girls continue to get clubs abroad to help them develop. The current squad going to the World Cup are clearly THE BEST, gathering of Nigerian female players we have currently available all over the planet. It is tiring hearing " there's 100 Assisats/Okochas" lining the streets as it amounts to self delusion in this day and age without the proper structures in place.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote:I can bet my last penny there are 100 more assisats all over Nigeria but their oxygen is being consumed by players that should have been let go from the team 2 world cups ago. Who in the world fields same players for five consecutive world cups ? not even the US with best players in the world. That alone is indicative of the problem. Yea there are exceptions like Marta of Brazil who never stops giving.
Can you quit pulling stuff out of your sitter...
Serves no real purpose but stink up the forum. SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Bell wrote:SO NIGERIAN WOMEN FOOTBALL HASN'T GROWN?

Show me something that gets better with time in Nigeria. The canoe used by villagers for fishing? It's been the same for over 100 years. The truck used to haul produce from the interior? Has that changed? The domestic "buses" (which are actually tin cans mounted on a truck chassis? That hasn't changed for almost 100 years. Instead of outgrowing those horrible tricycles, some are now promoting it as a standard mode of transportation. It's the same story with boreholes, power generators, kiakia bus, etc. We know where stadiums built at great costs stand.

Bottom line is nothing gets better with time in Nigeria: they remain the same or regress. And bold ideas (or promising political candidates) that can bring about transformation are quickly knocked down because Nigerians are unwilling to go thru the burden of navigating or exploring bold ideas.

I know the resources are scarce and women's football is currently not a moneymaker but I'm sure there are creative ways those in charge could have used to improve things. But Nigeria is not being led by creative people but by those who only look at conventional and historic ways of doing things.

(I take issue with the OP's suggestion that the hiring of "a good foreign coach is good". What good has it brought about. In fact, the relative decline of Nigeria's women roughly coincides with the arrival of this foreign blessing)
Bell
Why don’t you go and make everything better then? Are you not Nigerian? SMDH :roll:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Adisboy wrote:
What you said is a complete falacy. Where are the other Assisats? Are you not watching the current Women's Wafu? Is that not made up of 90% new players? Where is the new Assisat in that team. Can you honestly say that the Wafu team will do better than the ones going to the world cup? The real problem here is the inconsistent and poorly funded female league and the zero youth programmes/ academies for female players. Once these are resolved we would then see a clear improvement . For now we can only hope our girls continue to get clubs abroad to help them develop. The current squad going to the World Cup are clearly THE BEST, gathering of Nigerian female players we have currently available all over the planet. It is tiring hearing " there's 100 Assisats/Okochas" lining the streets as it amounts to self delusion in this day and age without the proper structures in place.
I have but one word to your narrative; tunel vision.
And the nonsense Wafu cup criteria ? - yours not mine. In fact my 100 assisat is even being conservative on my part. I say there are at a minimum one thousand assisats whom are not even any where near a football pitch simply because majority of Nigerians Parents still harbor this narrow mind set that Nigerian college degree is the only way to success. Just last December I was at a play ground in Nigeria watching some 8 kids playing around in a dusty run-down elementary school pitch and to my amazement there is this kid with skills, his built, his agility, his strength and just raw football knowledge was so obvious that he could walk into any football academy and become an instant star but guess what he doesn't even "play football" because his parents wont let him. I happened to have a pair of soccer boot left back at the house in my luggage, I was so happy to fetch it for him. So imagine having a team of scouts combing far and wide the breath of Nigeria and convincing Parents that there are many ways to success than their current mind set. One would think that in 2019 and cable television that people would be exploring multiple avenues for their kids' success especially when they are cash strap for tuition

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NIGERIA WOMENS FOOTBALL HAS NOT GROWN IN 10 YEAR

Post by Gotti »

JACKAL wrote:We were pioneers and early participants in Women's football in Africa. We dominated Women's football in Africa for the last 25 years winning 11 Women's ANC titles in the process.

You mean “eeking” out victories like a 15-0 victory this week? :lol:

Nigerians and their customary hyperbole. There’s not a whole lot wrong with our female football, which is actually progressing along its NATURAL line of progression. We may have been blowing out other African teams before but our players are actually BETTER and our teams play BETTER these days than the silliness that used to pass for much of female football in the early days.

Nigeria was an early mover in female football in Africa, fielding one of the first-ever African female national teams and thus greatly benefit from that circumstance. The first Nigerian team to go to the Women’s World Cup in 1991 barely played 2 or 3 games to get there, and while there lost to teams like Taiwan while not looking like remotely threatening to score if the tourney lasted a year.

What has NATURALLY occurred is not only that other African teams have gotten much better (btw, the Equatorial Guinea team that twice “stole” Nigeria’s customary African female crown was chuck full of Nigerian and Brazilian mercenaries), but Nigeria’s progress has somewhat evened off and can only come in small (even minute) increments given the relatively HIGH level that we started off from.

Meanwhile, there’s no problem with grassroots or youth development of female football in Nigeria. There are many football competitions for female primary, secondary and youth football teams in Nigeria (at least in Southern Nigeria). If there is a problem it is at the professional level (because the NWFL league struggles, even though it now has sponsorship and organization has improved considerably).

The Super Falcons have suffered the most from our legendary ORGANIZATIONAL INEPTITUDE, but of course many Nigerians still have difficulty grasping the basic connection between preparation and performance. You can’t have the team not play a game for ENTIRE CALENDAR YEARS and then assembled players at short notice and expect them to do much more than “eek” out victories.

Neither can you not have the team go for entire calendar years or very long stretches without playing any games and then whine and moan about too few a turnover in personnel. How exactly do you confirm who needs to be changed or who deserves to be added to the roster if you are not playing any games to enable you evaluate the relative capabilities of different players and/or prospects?

During the qualifiers for the last U17 WWC, a coach was appointed for the U17 team about 2 weeks before the first game - an away game. During those 2 weeks he was of course expected to invite and evaluate players, form a team and adequately prepare for the game, compete with tactics and everything. When the team (NATURALLY) struggled, it was held up as sign of our sliding backwards.

Coach Florence Omagbemi was not paid for the entire 9 months of her tenure, and yet took a relatively hastily-assembled squad to the 2016 AWCON, despite losing her father during same period. Her reward was to be summarily dismissed after the players were compelled to take to the streets of Abuja in protest (placards in hand) for their agreed-upon camping allowances and bonuses.

Coach Okon took another hastily-assembled side and won the 2014 AWCON to qualify for the 2015 WWC in Canada, and yet despite all appeals and promises, his team was not afforded a single friendly game in the eight months between qualification and arriving in Canada (after a brief camping period). Yet people bemoaned they could only “eek” out one draw against one of the world’s female powers.

So of course we resort to the well-worn crutch of the colonialized African, “get the whiteman”! And having gotten the foreign-coach, we have gone all out and laid out the red carpet. Myriad friendlies have been organized and executed, and a good foreign camp has been secured. Hopefully, this will lead to a better WWC showing and we can subscribe to the belief that “hiring a foreign coach helps”! SMH
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Gotti wrote:
Bell wrote:SO NIGERIAN WOMEN FOOTBALL HASN'T GROWN?

Bell
Why don’t you go and make everything better then? Are you not Nigerian? SMDH :roll:
NAH...

…we'll just leave things the way they are for fear of disrupting a condition you are quite content with.
Bell
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Nothing grows in Nigeria.Theres only birth, death starts at the moment of birth.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Bell wrote: NAH...

…we'll just leave things the way they are for fear of disrupting a condition you are quite content with.
Bell
The Great Internet Disrupter... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

At least now that we have Oyinbo in charge, you are not tasking your little disrupting brain about why most of our female players seem to come from one part of the country. Disruption ko, primordial ni.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
JACKAL
Egg
Egg
Re: NIGERIA WOMENS FOOTBALL HAS NOT GROWN IN 10 YEAR

Post by JACKAL »

Gotti wrote:

You mean “eeking” out victories like a 15-0 victory this week? :lol:

Nigerians and their customary hyperbole. There’s not a whole lot wrong with our female football, which is actually progressing along its NATURAL line of progression. We may have been blowing out other African teams before but our players are actually BETTER and our teams play BETTER these days than the silliness that used to pass for much of female football in the early days.

Nigeria was an early mover in female football in Africa, fielding one of the first-ever African female national teams and thus greatly benefit from that circumstance. The first Nigerian team to go to the Women’s World Cup in 1991 barely played 2 or 3 games to get there, and while there lost to teams like Taiwan while not looking like remotely threatening to score if the tourney lasted a year.

What has NATURALLY occurred is not only that other African teams have gotten much better (btw, the Equatorial Guinea team that twice “stole” Nigeria’s customary African female crown was chuck full of Nigerian and Brazilian mercenaries), but Nigeria’s progress has somewhat evened off and can only come in small (even minute) increments given the relatively HIGH level that we started off from.

Meanwhile, there’s no problem with grassroots or youth development of female football in Nigeria. There are many football competitions for female primary, secondary and youth football teams in Nigeria (at least in Southern Nigeria). If there is a problem it is at the professional level (because the NWFL league struggles, even though it now has sponsorship and organization has improved considerably).

The Super Falcons have suffered the most from our legendary ORGANIZATIONAL INEPTITUDE, but of course many Nigerians still have difficulty grasping the basic connection between preparation and performance. You can’t have the team not play a game for ENTIRE CALENDAR YEARS and then assembled players at short notice and expect them to do much more than “eek” out victories.

Neither can you not have the team go for entire calendar years or very long stretches without playing any games and then whine and moan about too few a turnover in personnel. How exactly do you confirm who needs to be changed or who deserves to be added to the roster if you are not playing any games to enable you evaluate the relative capabilities of different players and/or prospects?

During the qualifiers for the last U17 WWC, a coach was appointed for the U17 team about 2 weeks before the first game - an away game. During those 2 weeks he was of course expected to invite and evaluate players, form a team and adequately prepare for the game, compete with tactics and everything. When the team (NATURALLY) struggled, it was held up as sign of our sliding backwards.

Coach Florence Omagbemi was not paid for the entire 9 months of her tenure, and yet took a relatively hastily-assembled squad to the 2016 AWCON, despite losing her father during same period. Her reward was to be summarily dismissed after the players were compelled to take to the streets of Abuja in protest (placards in hand) for their agreed-upon camping allowances and bonuses.

Coach Okon took another hastily-assembled side and won the 2014 AWCON to qualify for the 2015 WWC in Canada, and yet despite all appeals and promises, his team was not afforded a single friendly game in the eight months between qualification and arriving in Canada (after a brief camping period). Yet people bemoaned they could only “eek” out one draw against one of the world’s female powers.

So of course we resort to the well-worn crutch of the colonialized African, “get the whiteman”! And having gotten the foreign-coach, we have gone all out and laid out the red carpet. Myriad friendlies have been organized and executed, and a good foreign camp has been secured. Hopefully, this will lead to a better WWC showing and we can subscribe to the belief that “hiring a foreign coach helps”! SMH
>
Not only have we lost the ANC title twice, the margins of victory against our toughest opponents have narrowed considerably
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Gotti wrote:
one who dwells on rear side must enjoy what it puts out

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

jette1 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
one who dwells on rear side must enjoy what it puts out
Formiga has been making squads since 1995.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

jette1 wrote:
Adisboy wrote:
I have but one word to your narrative; tunel vision.
And the nonsense Wafu cup criteria ? - yours not mine. In fact my 100 assisat is even being conservative on my part. I say there are at a minimum one thousand assisats whom are not even any where near a football pitch simply because majority of Nigerians Parents still harbor this narrow mind set that Nigerian college degree is the only way to success. Just last December I was at a play ground in Nigeria watching some 8 kids playing around in a dusty run-down elementary school pitch and to my amazement there is this kid with skills, his built, his agility, his strength and just raw football knowledge was so obvious that he could walk into any football academy and become an instant star but guess what he doesn't even "play football" because his parents wont let him. I happened to have a pair of soccer boot left back at the house in my luggage, I was so happy to fetch it for him. So imagine having a team of scouts combing far and wide the breath of Nigeria and convincing Parents that there are many ways to success than their current mind set. One would think that in 2019 and cable television that people would be exploring multiple avenues for their kids' success especially when they are cash strap for tuition
The strange thing about your response is that you are actually agreeing with me. In your initial narrative you said "1000s of Assisats" instead of "1000s of potential Assisats". From your earlier narrative you give the impression that there are players currently ready and available that are better than the current selection of Falcons. You also claimed that several of the players have been there for 5 world cups, and that new players are not getting chances which is a fallacy. 95% of this squad are a collection of players that graduated from the U17 and U20 World Cups between 2010 and 2018. Also these players are currently very active and doing well in their various clubs. From story in your later narrative, just emphasises the cultural and infrastructual bottlenecks that currently hinder our ability to get to the top which is exactly what i pointed out. Especially in the case of girls, there are zero development programmes available so parents do not see any upside or future to this and hence will not encourage them no matter how talented and when you include the cultural aspect makes the matter worse. Without this changing we will either remain where we are or regress while the more serious countries improve.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Falcons 6- CIV 5...
Like I said...eeeeeking out the victories. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Congrats to us.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

How strong is Nigerian female football?

Apart of course from winning the last 3 AWCONS on the trot (obviously a sign of falling standards :lol: ).

We just won the WAFU tournament with our Team B playing against the Team A of other West African nations (including continental powerhouses Ghana, Mali and CIV). This Team B was assembled in Abuja on a Monday, played against a male youth team on Saturday and left for Abidjan the following Monday (or Tuesday), where it played 5 games over 10 or 11 days. This means that we can literally field more than one national team squad (not just teams, but full squads) and each squad will be continental championship contenders! That's DEPTH IN QUALITY!!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Gotti wrote:How strong is Nigerian female football?

Apart of course from winning the last 3 AWCONS on the trot (obviously a sign of falling standards :lol: ).

We just won the WAFU tournament with our Team B playing against the Team A of other West African nations (including continental powerhouses Ghana, Mali and CIV). This Team B was assembled in Abuja on a Monday, played against a male youth team on Saturday and left for Abidjan the following Monday (or Tuesday), where it played 5 games over 10 or 11 days. This means that we can literally field more than one national team squad (not just teams, but full squads) and each squad will be continental championship contenders! That's DEPTH IN QUALITY!!
The better comparison would be the World Cup (where we have gained a grand total of 5 points since 1999 and have finished with a negative goal difference in every appearance since 2003) not Africa were many of the teams underfund their women's football programs.