Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17587
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm
Posts: 31044
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Missghalo primed? Anyways sha, stranger things have happened

_________________
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 45751
Enugu II wrote:
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html


If you remove the Libya games, what will the ratio be? :mad:

_________________
The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 38883
Location: Land of the Terrapins
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html


If you remove the Libya games, what will the ratio be? :mad:


Hexactry, we won’t be playing Libya and Seychelles at the NC.

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 13998
Location: South London
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html


If you remove the Libya games, what will the ratio be? :mad:


Hexactry, we won’t be playing Libya and Seychelles at the NC.

No he’ll be up against the might of Burundi, Guinea and of cause Madagascar.Argentina and Croatia won’t stand in our way so it’s not that scary, Iggy has done well in Africa so I’d prefer him over Nacho who unfortunately faded in all competitions for club and country and yes some will say he isn’t the same type of player but he’s more likely to score at least in the early stages!

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:31 pm
Posts: 5466
Location: Akwa Ibom. Lagos. Dallas.
EnuguII, some players defy statistics. It'll be awesome, though, if Ighalo could top more explosive players like Aghahowa and Emenike.

_________________
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:08 pm
Posts: 2496
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html


If you remove the Libya games, what will the ratio be? :mad:




Hexactry, we won’t be playing Libya and Seychelles at the NC.


On top that remove the PK's and then lets evaluate ...

Guy is just not it abeg ...decent player but there are far more effective options for Naija

Personally Ahmed Musa and Onyekuru are the strikers we need nothing more .. Iheanacho is more of a playmaker


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17587
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
BAP wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html


If you remove the Libya games, what will the ratio be? :mad:




Hexactry, we won’t be playing Libya and Seychelles at the NC.


On top that remove the PK's and then lets evaluate ...

Guy is just not it abeg ...decent player but there are far more effective options for Naija

Personally Ahmed Musa and Onyekuru are the strikers we need nothing more .. Iheanacho is more of a playmaker


BAP & 1Naija,

If we remove the Libya game and the PKs, would you advocate doing the same for other top Nigerian players. Do you also think we should remove the games Ighalo played less than 60 minutes?

The bottomline is that PKs count towards a player's goals including the likes of Harry Kane and Messi. We also know that players score in a surge in a few games including the best players. Thus, it makes no sense removing this or that from Ighalo's record. He is who he is. He has shown that in the EPL and in China. He is a streaky guy but surely he has maintained a good goal scoring record over the latter part of his career. The question is will that streakiness occur at the AFCON or not?

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 10642
Enugu II wrote:
BAP wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html


If you remove the Libya games, what will the ratio be? :mad:




Hexactry, we won’t be playing Libya and Seychelles at the NC.


On top that remove the PK's and then lets evaluate ...

Guy is just not it abeg ...decent player but there are far more effective options for Naija

Personally Ahmed Musa and Onyekuru are the strikers we need nothing more .. Iheanacho is more of a playmaker


BAP & 1Naija,

If we remove the Libya game and the PKs, would you advocate doing the same for other top Nigerian players. Do you also think we should remove the games Ighalo played less than 60 minutes?

The bottomline is that PKs count towards a player's goals including the likes of Harry Kane and Messi. We also know that players score in a surge in a few games including the best players. Thus, it makes no sense removing this or that from Ighalo's record. He is who he is. He has shown that in the EPL and in China. He is a streaky guy but surely he has maintained a good goal scoring record over the latter part of his career. The question is will that streakiness occur at the AFCON or not?




It may just well, with Onyekuru on the left and the other spanish lad on the right; in a three-man forward.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 11902
Location: seattle
pajimoh wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Missghalo primed? Anyways sha, stranger things have happened

Moderators I move that Pajimoh be suspended immediately or at a minimum be issued a stern warning for hate remarks against women. By referring to ighalo as a miss for his short comings in front of goal pajimoh essentially draws a negative parallel of women attributes by referencing ighalo shortcomings as as females attributes.

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:43 pm
Posts: 5476
Enugu II wrote:
BAP wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html


If you remove the Libya games, what will the ratio be? :mad:




Hexactry, we won’t be playing Libya and Seychelles at the NC.


On top that remove the PK's and then lets evaluate ...

Guy is just not it abeg ...decent player but there are far more effective options for Naija

Personally Ahmed Musa and Onyekuru are the strikers we need nothing more .. Iheanacho is more of a playmaker


BAP & 1Naija,

If we remove the Libya game and the PKs, would you advocate doing the same for other top Nigerian players. Do you also think we should remove the games Ighalo played less than 60 minutes?

The bottomline is that PKs count towards a player's goals including the likes of Harry Kane and Messi. We also know that players score in a surge in a few games including the best players. Thus, it makes no sense removing this or that from Ighalo's record. He is who he is. He has shown that in the EPL and in China. He is a streaky guy but surely he has maintained a good goal scoring record over the latter part of his career. The question is will that streakiness occur at the AFCON or not?



I WAS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING


You can't selectively remove matches in which Ighalo did well unless you also want to remove matches in which he didn't do well. Or remove those matches in which Salah scored multiple goals. Or Harry Kane bounding down to take PK's in which he had no involvement.

That brings me to the opening post. I'm not advocating for Ighalo one way or the other and I would allow the coach who knows him better than most to judge him on his published statistics as well stats that nobody keeps track of - in other words the intangibles such as leadership, pulling defenders away, knowing exactly what the coach wants, etc. Stats don't lie but they can be misleading if not correctly used. If a coach has to rely on published stats to make this kind of decisions, then he's not doing a good job.
Bell

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 10642
jette1 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Missghalo primed? Anyways sha, stranger things have happened

Moderators I move that Pajimoh be suspended immediately or at a minimum be issued a stern warning for hate remarks against women. By referring to ighalo as a miss for his short comings in front of goal pajimoh essentially draws a negative parallel of women attributes by referencing ighalo shortcomings as as females attributes.



:biggrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm
Posts: 31044
jette1 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Missghalo primed? Anyways sha, stranger things have happened

Moderators I move that Pajimoh be suspended immediately or at a minimum be issued a stern warning for hate remarks against women. By referring to ighalo as a miss for his short comings in front of goal pajimoh essentially draws a negative parallel of women attributes by referencing ighalo shortcomings as as females attributes.

My broda I apologize unreservedly for the total disdain I might have implied by using (Miss) to qualify such a pipe of waste called Ighalo :tic:
I should have offered more clarity that the "Miss" is not actually in relation to any female" unmarried or otherwise but the "miss" when someone is clearly incapable of hitting a barn door from an inch of distance away.

I hope the mods will consider this extreme form of groveling and allow me to maintain my status here as one of the leading lights of goon haters club and Anigbelenu/Bigporkhead Slapdown Society?

Thank you for your understanding and leniency

_________________
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:41 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 40340
Location: UK
The only disrespect I see here is referring to him as Miss Ighalo instead of Mrs Ighalo.
He is married. :idea:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:46 am
Posts: 30815
There is presently no other Nigerian striker that I am aware of that has the ability to lead the line. We all want a Yekini clone but we deal with what we have.

_________________
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB GT755M | 8GB DDR3L | 1TB 5400RPM | N2230 | LGIPS237L/LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: HP Pavilion 2500: Core2Duo T5250 1.5GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 320GB | 64MB NVidia GeF8400M - Linux Mint Cinnamon
HTC One - BB Z10 - APPLE IPad Mini


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 40340
Location: UK
Cristao II wrote:
There is presently no other Nigerian striker that I am aware of that has the ability to lead the line. We all want a Yekini clone but we deal with what we have.
In all honesty I don't see how Ighalo is better than any of our other options.
Not even our young Osimhen.
He is running on the past, not on anything current

And I agree his brief purple patch has distorted the picture

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm
Posts: 31044
What people fail to understand is .issghalo had 3 goals in 21 games at one point. That is 3 goals in 3 tournaments of 7 possible matches to the final. The WC happened to be one such tournament where Missghalo failed to register a goal.
If Ighalo then score 15 goals in a game to improve e his stats' it's OK for some. The other games we were expecting him to score obviously doesn't matter much

_________________
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:46 am
Posts: 30815
Damunk wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
There is presently no other Nigerian striker that I am aware of that has the ability to lead the line. We all want a Yekini clone but we deal with what we have.
In all honesty I don't see how Ighalo is better than any of our other options.
Not even our young Osimhen.
He is running on the past, not on anything current

And I agree his brief purple patch has distorted the picture


I respectfully disagree especially if lots of names are not mentioned.

I know you mentioned Osimhen .. He can be invited alongside Ighalo. We dont need only striker.

_________________
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB GT755M | 8GB DDR3L | 1TB 5400RPM | N2230 | LGIPS237L/LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: HP Pavilion 2500: Core2Duo T5250 1.5GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 320GB | 64MB NVidia GeF8400M - Linux Mint Cinnamon
HTC One - BB Z10 - APPLE IPad Mini


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 3056
I don’t get holding strikers. Your main duties s a striker is to score goals or assists not to hold the ball and if the likes of onyekuru, osimehn can score goals without holding the ball then I will rather them than ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 10642
john12 wrote:
I don’t get holding strikers. Your main duties s a striker is to score goals or assists not to hold the ball and if the likes of onyekuru, osimehn can score goals without holding the ball then I will rather them than ighalo



Ideye Brown was a better holding striker


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:08 pm
Posts: 2496
Bell wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
BAP wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Here is why Odion Ighalo may be ready to explode at AFCON 2019 (including stats)

Quote:
Presently, his record of 0.407 goals per game is ahead of reputed goal scorers such as Yakubu Aiyegbeni (0.362) and Ikechukwu Uche (0.396), and not far behind Obafemi Martins (0.*****).


Quote:
From 2017/18 season, he had scored 36 in 55 games for Changchung Yatai in China, a ratio of 0.65 goals per game, and then at Shanghai Shenhua in China he has scored 7 in 9 games, 0.78 goals per game! This is a striker that appears primed for a strong AFCON.
A look at the careers of Nigerian top goal scorers at an AFCON (Those with at least three goals), Ighalo's career goal scoring statistics do not appear to be out of place. Table 1 shows his career stats compared to those players.


For details, click on the following link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/05/why-odion-ighalo-may-be-primed-for.html


If you remove the Libya games, what will the ratio be? :mad:




Hexactry, we won’t be playing Libya and Seychelles at the NC.


On top that remove the PK's and then lets evaluate ...

Guy is just not it abeg ...decent player but there are far more effective options for Naija

Personally Ahmed Musa and Onyekuru are the strikers we need nothing more .. Iheanacho is more of a playmaker


BAP & 1Naija,

If we remove the Libya game and the PKs, would you advocate doing the same for other top Nigerian players. Do you also think we should remove the games Ighalo played less than 60 minutes?

The bottomline is that PKs count towards a player's goals including the likes of Harry Kane and Messi. We also know that players score in a surge in a few games including the best players. Thus, it makes no sense removing this or that from Ighalo's record. He is who he is. He has shown that in the EPL and in China. He is a streaky guy but surely he has maintained a good goal scoring record over the latter part of his career. The question is will that streakiness occur at the AFCON or not?



I WAS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING


You can't selectively remove matches in which Ighalo did well unless you also want to remove matches in which he didn't do well. Or remove those matches in which Salah scored multiple goals. Or Harry Kane bounding down to take PK's in which he had no involvement.

That brings me to the opening post. I'm not advocating for Ighalo one way or the other and I would allow the coach who knows him better than most to judge him on his published statistics as well stats that nobody keeps track of - in other words the intangibles such as leadership, pulling defenders away, knowing exactly what the coach wants, etc. Stats don't lie but they can be misleading if not correctly used. If a coach has to rely on published stats to make this kind of decisions, then he's not doing a good job.
Bell


E11 is a statistician so I am sure he can appreciate the fact that in statistics there are Averages and then there are Weighted Averages. Teams like Seychelles and War torn Libya whould get a weighting close to 1 on a 1 to 10 scale in any serious evaluation .

See bros 4 fingers are not equal .. banging in goals half of them pks against teams like Seychelles is simply not the same as banging in goals against Italy or even Ghana

And even those intangibles you mention I ask , where are the assists? where are the diversionary runs that result in goals ? where is the psychological fear in opponents when Ighalo steps on the field .

When Emenike wasnt scoring he still struck terror in defenders , he still made assists like his pass to Osaze at the 2014 WC . Where does Ighalo do this ?

Ahmed Musa's bangs in Goals from all angles and puts opponents on notice due to his pace . Have never seen him take a pk but yet he has more goals than Ighalo (Not counting Libya and Seychelles)

I like Ighalo I wish him well but he is simply not our best striker . Not even close


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17587
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
BAP,

First, I am not a statistician ooo! I no go accept what I am not. :dream:

In any case, the only point I will make about Seychelles and Libya is this: First, Ighalo did not go wild v Seychelles (check the record). You can make such a case in Oduamadi v Tahiti but not Ighalo v Seychelles. Moreover, note that other Nigerian strikers, one time or the other, also encountered weakly-ranked opponents. Theoretically, then, that should cancel out.

In any case, Ighalo is not Yekini or Oba. Those guys scored more consistently for SE. Ighalo is more like Emenike i.e. a guy who may go on a streak. Then, are you ignoring his goal scoring in his first season at Watford against top EPL clubs? His streak was on and then the next season he shot blanks. In SE, he began with a drought (like Emenike) and has now exploded. Moreover, the guy has a good record as a striker at the club level.

BAP you mention assists. That is actually one thing that Ighalo does well. I did not include the assists because assists for some comparable strikers (e.g. Yekini) were incomplete and thus I left that out. However, note that he has 5 assists already. I believe (?) the only Nigerian midfielder and forward with a better assist record at the same period is Ahmed Musa. Although, I will need to cross check that but as I write now, that is my recollection. But to the matter. You used Emenike to provide an example of how assists matter! Guess what, Emenike had 5 assists over an SE career of 36 games! Ighalo has the same number of assists in less games (5 in 27)!

BAP wrote:
E11 is a statistician so I am sure he can appreciate the fact that in statistics there are Averages and then there are Weighted Averages. Teams like Seychelles and War torn Libya whould get a weighting close to 1 on a 1 to 10 scale in any serious evaluation .

See bros 4 fingers are not equal .. banging in goals half of them pks against teams like Seychelles is simply not the same as banging in goals against Italy or even Ghana

And even those intangibles you mention I ask , where are the assists? where are the diversionary runs that result in goals ? where is the psychological fear in opponents when Ighalo steps on the field .

When Emenike wasnt scoring he still struck terror in defenders , he still made assists like his pass to Osaze at the 2014 WC . Where does Ighalo do this ?

Ahmed Musa's bangs in Goals from all angles and puts opponents on notice due to his pace . Have never seen him take a pk but yet he has more goals than Ighalo (Not counting Libya and Seychelles)

I like Ighalo I wish him well but he is simply not our best striker . Not even close

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:08 pm
Posts: 2496
Enugu II wrote:
BAP,

First, I am not a statistician ooo! I no go accept what I am not. :dream:

In any case, the only point I will make about Seychelles and Libya is this: First, Ighalo did not go wild v Seychelles (check the record). You can make such a case in Oduamadi v Tahiti but not Ighalo v Seychelles. Moreover, note that other Nigerian strikers, one time or the other, also encountered weakly-ranked opponents. Theoretically, then, that should cancel out.

In any case, Ighalo is not Yekini or Oba. Those guys scored more consistently for SE. Ighalo is more like Emenike i.e. a guy who may go on a streak. Then, are you ignoring his goal scoring in his first season at Watford against top EPL clubs? His streak was on and then the next season he shot blanks. In SE, he began with a drought (like Emenike) and has now exploded. Moreover, the guy has a good record as a striker at the club level.

BAP you mention assists. That is actually one thing that Ighalo does well. I did not include the assists because assists for some comparable strikers (e.g. Yekini) were incomplete and thus I left that out. However, note that he has 5 assists already. I believe (?) the only Nigerian midfielder and forward with a better assist record at the same period is Ahmed Musa. Although, I will need to cross check that but as I write now, that is my recollection. But to the matter. You used Emenike to provide an example of how assists matter! Guess what, Emenike had 5 assists over an SE career of 36 games! Ighalo has the same number of assists in less games (5 in 27)!

BAP wrote:
E11 is a statistician so I am sure he can appreciate the fact that in statistics there are Averages and then there are Weighted Averages. Teams like Seychelles and War torn Libya whould get a weighting close to 1 on a 1 to 10 scale in any serious evaluation .

See bros 4 fingers are not equal .. banging in goals half of them pks against teams like Seychelles is simply not the same as banging in goals against Italy or even Ghana

And even those intangibles you mention I ask , where are the assists? where are the diversionary runs that result in goals ? where is the psychological fear in opponents when Ighalo steps on the field .

When Emenike wasnt scoring he still struck terror in defenders , he still made assists like his pass to Osaze at the 2014 WC . Where does Ighalo do this ?

Ahmed Musa's bangs in Goals from all angles and puts opponents on notice due to his pace . Have never seen him take a pk but yet he has more goals than Ighalo (Not counting Libya and Seychelles)

I like Ighalo I wish him well but he is simply not our best striker . Not even close

Ok so you are an honorary statistician :mrgreen:

I will have to take your word for it on assists . I just can recall a single assist from Ighalo leading to anything significant . Iheanacho perhaps but not Ighalo .

the underlined portion of your post pretty much sums it up.He is no Yekini /Oba but We have guys who can be Yekini /Obas heck I would even make do with an Utaka, Agahowa or an Osaze but Ighalos continued usage blocks their progress .

Your claim that "he has now exploded" almost made me fall of my seat :mrgreen: . Sorry I dont care if he scores tens goals against teams like Libya to me that is like beating up a girl and then claiming that you are ready to fight mike Tyson

As far as his club performance goes again same Libya/Seychelles dynamic applies


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vancity eagle and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group